PDA

View Full Version : I moved my kids out of America, It was the best parenting decision I've ever made

TheInterocitor
21-06-2017, 07:20
Kids: "No cell phones?" :eek:

http://theweek.com/articles/703660/moved-kids-america-best-parenting-decision-ive-ever-made

Interesting, and I think the fact she moved from big city to rural village also was a factor...

FatAndy
21-06-2017, 09:19
Kids: "No cell phones?" :eek:
And this is nice. Having no landline (but the neighbor with it) is even better.

Benedikt
21-06-2017, 09:59
And this is nice. Having no landline (but the neighbor with it) is even better.

most important, there they have REAL FRIENDS to play with/ and not only the artificially ones on the social media. A kid comes home with a bloody nose because the boys were in a scuffle. No need to call the lawyer. Let the KIDS sort it out themselves.Not good in football at the beginning? Well, kids are fast learners.And if not,well you will have to stay on the sidelines and watch...Most probably no mcD,no burger flippers, no Pizza home delivery. The kids will learn what REAL food tastes. Not to bad an idea it seems to me....

annasophia
21-06-2017, 13:26
This article is a total POS, I've seen it reprinted all over the internet.

We've been to Ecuador twice in the last 4 years with the intention of moving there - which we're not.

I will certainly agree that the intact family structure of Ecuador is a great environment to grow up in, do note from the article "Eventually my boys will return to the U.S. to attend college and build their adult lives."

Now why would that be, you might ask? Might it be because there is very little opportunity for higher education in Ecuador, might it be because there is very little opportunity to make a decent living in Ecuador, might it be that outside of family structure Ecuador is a solid third world country where it's all but impossible to get ahead; you're going to die as poor as you were when you were born into life and so will your children, and your children's children?

Which is why, when the author's kids are no longer little kids, she intends to send them back to the first world for a good education, job opportunities, and a future.

Utter rubbish. :bomb_old:

vossy7
21-06-2017, 14:05
There are so many people around who just want to run away from it all......the vast majority spend a big part of their lives regretting it. You just have to listen to some of the heartbreaking stories of people who have sold up in the UK for a "new life" elsewhere. After the honeymoon period, reality kicks in and they spend their days looking for a way back. Granted there are people who grin and bear it and adapt to the the different types of obstacles and hardships . One size for sure does not fit all!

TolkoRaz
21-06-2017, 14:13
Perhaps they moved their kids from the US of A because approximately 13,000 under-17 year olds die from guns each year..........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40336048

bydand
21-06-2017, 17:26
Perhaps they moved their kids from the US of A because approximately 13,000 under-17 year olds die from guns each year..........

Seems your quoted number is off by 11,700 (a decimal point).

Hans.KK
21-06-2017, 17:35
Seems your quoted number is off by 11,700 (a decimal point).Does it matter? Even one is one to many ...

TolkoRaz
21-06-2017, 21:24
Yes, apologies, it should be 1,300 under 17 years olds are killed by guns each year - I wonder how many are actually wounded!

Furthermore, another appalling statistic is that a total of approx 30,000 people are killed by guns each year in the US of A.

FatAndy
22-06-2017, 09:19
I wonder how many are actually wounded!
Well, comrade, as same as your combat experience shows, 1 : (3-4) KIA to injured. 6K+, the article says. The overhead is the result of lack in training and shelters in the situation of sudden shooting.

Benedikt
22-06-2017, 10:12
Well, comrade, as same as your combat experience shows, 1 : (3-4) KIA to injured. 6K+, the article says. The overhead is the result of lack in training and shelters in the situation of sudden shooting.

maybe? or just they are to keen to get a good shot (excuse the pun) on their iPone to be the first to show in the media.And get injured in the melee? Or kids -find- daddies gun unlocked in the cupboard and try to play robbers and Sheriff?

Suuryaa
22-06-2017, 19:49

We've been to Ecuador twice in the last 4 years with the intention of moving there - which we're not.

I will certainly agree that the intact family structure of Ecuador is a great environment to grow up in, do note from the article "Eventually my boys will return to the U.S. to attend college and build their adult lives."

Now why would that be, you might ask? Might it be because there is very little opportunity for higher education in Ecuador, might it be because there is very little opportunity to make a decent living in Ecuador, might it be that outside of family structure Ecuador is a solid third world country where it's all but impossible to get ahead; you're going to die as poor as you were when you were born into life and so will your children, and your children's children?

Which is why, when the author's kids are no longer little kids, she intends to send them back to the first world for a good education, job opportunities, and a future.

She's using the best of the two worlds. Why not?

Suuryaa
22-06-2017, 19:50
double post

TheInterocitor
24-06-2017, 01:21

No, it's 93,000,000 every day, not a mere 13,000.

Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe (Democrat): “We lose 93 million Americans a day to gun violence,” he confidently asserted. “I have long talked about this.”

13,000 every 12 seconds, not every day! The entire US will be wiped out in 3 and a half days! :laughing:

TheInterocitor
24-06-2017, 01:26
Yes, apologies, it should be 1,300 under 17 years olds are killed by guns each year - I wonder how many are actually wounded!

Furthermore, another appalling statistic is that a total of approx 30,000 people are killed by guns each year in the US of A.

Yeah, so how about setting a good example and turning in your guns!

You want to keep yours, but everyone else should give up theirs! :laughing:

rusmeister
24-06-2017, 06:47

The one thing I now contest is the idea that higher education in America today is in fact education in the sense the word traditionally means. It's a universal mistake now. They lost philosophy over a century ago (to say nothing of theology); as a result they have lost pretty much everything else. They can teach tons of crazy ideas, and masses of details, but not how to rightly connect them.

TheInterocitor
24-06-2017, 12:50
The one thing I now contest is the idea that higher education in America today is in fact education in the sense the word traditionally means. It's a universal mistake now. They lost philosophy over a century ago (to say nothing of theology); as a result they have lost pretty much everything else. They can teach tons of crazy ideas, and masses of details, but not how to rightly connect them.

I have always thought of the Social Sciences, as taught at the university, to be a mountain of semi-organized, or disorganized, trivia. Everything has to be memorized - psychology or sociology doesn't make sense or interconnect within itself like chemistry or mathematics. The latest "facts," fads, fashions, theories unloaded from this year's secular train of higher learning often mismatch and conflict with the baggage from last year's learned opinions. Lately, in the past few decades, we are seeing the harmful side effects of such embrace of the Social Sciences to the exclusion of traditional religion, and the unraveling of the social order caused by the imposition of such anti-religious, semi-disorganized and somewhat self-contradictory doctrine on the larger society.

That OP article doesn't make sense, in that the last paragraph stands the rest of the article on its head.

TolkoRaz
24-06-2017, 20:41
Shocking statistics.................

In One Year on Average (all ages)

114,994 people in America are shot in murders, assaults, suicides & suicide attempts, unintentional shootings, or by police intervention.>

33,880 people die from gun violence

11,564 murdered (Approx 1K people per month!)
21,037 die from suicide
544 killed unintentionally
468 killed by legal intervention
267 die but intent was unknown
81,114 people survive gun injuries:

60,041 injured in an attack (Approx 5K people per month!)
3,700 survive a suicide attempt
16,428 shot unintentionally
945 people are shot by legal intervention

http://www.bradycampaign.org/key-gun-violence-statistics?gclid=CjwKEAjwm7jKBRDE2_H_t8DVxzISJACwS9Wbt9FWAD8JKo6KyrFUjKbw7DLGJzDWpCTURmvfR5jbxhoCQSLw_wcB

rusmeister
24-06-2017, 21:22
Shocking statistics.................

In One Year on Average (all ages)

114,994 people in America are shot in murders, assaults, suicides & suicide attempts, unintentional shootings, or by police intervention.>

33,880 people die from gun violence

11,564 murdered (Approx 1K people per month!)
21,037 die from suicide
544 killed unintentionally
468 killed by legal intervention
267 die but intent was unknown
81,114 people survive gun injuries:

60,041 injured in an attack (Approx 5K people per month!)
3,700 survive a suicide attempt
16,428 shot unintentionally
945 people are shot by legal intervention

http://www.bradycampaign.org/key-gun-violence-statistics?gclid=CjwKEAjwm7jKBRDE2_H_t8DVxzISJACwS9Wbt9FWAD8JKo6KyrFUjKbw7DLGJzDWpCTURmvfR5jbxhoCQSLw_wcB

And what were those averages before 1990?

The main thing, Tolko, is that guns don't shoot themselves, without human direction. There has been widespread gun ownership in the US since its inception. Something has changed in the human soul. It isn't the presence of guns.

quincy
25-06-2017, 08:11
Sure of Ecuador is a great environment to grow up in, do note from the article "Eventually my boys will return to the U.S. to attend college and build their adult lives."

That image of Ecuador is maybe 30-40 years old. There is a growing middle class in all the countries in that region - Ecuador, Peru, Colombia, Brazil. If the situation was that it was impossible to get ahead, millions of professionals, small business owners, middle class students, government employees etc would have moved out
Educational standards in the US or Western Europe or Australia are no longer what they used to be, and many foreigners who enter university (graduate or post graduate) are disappointed at the quality and realize that some of their own colleges are already just as good, and they don't have to suffer things like alienation and sometimes prejudice

annasophia
25-06-2017, 12:04
That image of Ecuador is maybe 30-40 years old.

Quincy were there in January this year, 2017. Five months ago. Traveled around by bus, went to large and small places. Trust me, it is definitely a third world country.

quincy
26-06-2017, 11:07
Quincy were there in January this year, 2017. Five months ago. Traveled around by bus, went to large and small places. Trust me, it is definitely a third world country.

A majority probably still is. But today's poor in Ecuador and elsewhere insist on high spec mobile phones and designer wear, and many will somehow find a way of getting these products!
But there are growing areas in places like Brazil of middle class housing, health facilities, schools and infrastructure, which could be considered "first world"
Conversely pockets of the "third world" have appeared in many American , Australian and European cities . These have been expanding over the past 15 years

TheInterocitor
26-06-2017, 15:44
A majority probably still is. But today's poor in Ecuador and elsewhere insist on high spec mobile phones and designer wear, and many will somehow find a way of getting these products!
But there are growing areas in places like Brazil of middle class housing, health facilities, schools and infrastructure, which could be considered "first world"
Conversely pockets of the "third world" have appeared in many American , Australian and European cities . These have been expanding over the past 15 years

That's the Left and their crusade for social justice and economic opportunity for all. They don't know how to use government power to make everyone equal and rich, or even prosperous, so they make everyone poor...but Equal!

zzhhst
26-06-2017, 21:36
And what were those averages before 1990?

The main thing, Tolko, is that guns don't shoot themselves, without human direction. There has been widespread gun ownership in the US since its inception. Something has changed in the human soul. It isn't the presence of guns.

My wife's grandfather killed 19 people driving a train from Moscow To Kazan? Most were suicide.

americaninmoscow
28-06-2017, 01:17
She's using the best of the two worlds. Why not?

this!

to say one place has all of the answers is wrong. America has a great many things and also some not great things. Russia the same way. The best answer is to combine the best of both worlds. I congratulate the mom/parents for dealing with the situation in a creative/upbeat manner.

As to sending the children back to America for uni, well, why not? People from all over the world already do that, it isn't as if she would be the first. And who knows, maybe those kids will someday return to Latin America, making it a better place for all. Or not, really, it is their choice.