PDA

View Full Version : 'Preparation year' language course

NathanielH
13-02-2017, 08:54
Alright, hopefully I'm posting this in the correct area.
I'm an American who spent about 2 years in Russia. I started off by studying in the RusLanguage school on Arbat for about 9 months, then moved to a tourist visa and lived with a girlfriend for the rest of the time. In that time I took an INTESOL certification, as well. During this time I absolutely fell in love with Moscow, and truly wished to stay. However, I am now back in America, looking to perhaps start a university course, so someday I can actually make use of the TESOL certification, as not many schools I found that would offer a work visa without the degree.

I have a half-Russian friend studying at HSE doing the Philology course. As she describes it, it sounds like a perfect fit for me, but I am 100% certain that I'd be hopelessly lost trying to study purely in Russian at my skill level. I believe I was close to taking the B1 certification but have since lost practice and am definitely nowhere near taking it anymore. I've started trying to study myself, however I found out about the preparatory year course that HSE offers. It is advertised as a way to go from no Russian to being able to study in your chosen course. It's also much cheaper than other schools (including the one I attended).

So my question is simple - Has anyone here ever taken one of these preparatory years? Would you say it worked well enough to theoretically study in Russian? I know my friend is better at speaking Russian than I am and she says she struggles but it is doable. I'm willing to struggle, but I want to be sure I'm not hoping for too much.
Is it worthwhile to improve my Russian? Even if I didn't think I could take the degree course in Russian afterwards, I'm interested in improving. Would this be a potential way to improve, and give me another year in Moscow?

I'll take what victories I can in this, and accept what losses I must.

Thank you for any help!

quincy
13-02-2017, 12:18
Alright, hopefully I'm posting this in the correct area.
I'm an American who spent about 2 years in Russia. I started off by studying in the RusLanguage school on Arbat for about 9 months, then moved to a tourist visa and lived with a girlfriend for the rest of the time. In that time I took an INTESOL certification, as well. During this time I absolutely fell in love with Moscow, and truly wished to stay.

Moscow is better (even though everyone is rushing around ) than the smaller cities in the region like Kostroma and N.Novgorod where people can be suspicious of foreigners

I'm willing to struggle, but I want to be sure I'm not hoping for too much.

I'll take what victories I can in this, and accept what losses I must.

Thank you for any help!

If you are willing to struggle you will get there sooner or later!

tasel
14-02-2017, 12:17
I did it before entering medical university. It is worth but depends upon the university and regions are good too. I did my preparatory faculty in Volgograd.