PDA

View Full Version : Moscow Metro Fare Options

DiscoverLearn
29-01-2017, 09:20
The best way to save money on Moscow Metro subway is to get 60 rides 90 days Troika pass which is available for RUB 1700 (~RUB 28/ride).

http://troika.mos.ru/en/about/preimuwestva_trojki/

Benedikt
29-01-2017, 10:16
The best way to save money on Moscow Metro subway is to get 60 rides 90 days Troika pass which is available for RUB 1700 (~RUB 28/ride).

http://troika.mos.ru/en/about/preimuwestva_trojki/

but there is even something better to it. if you use an ABOOVE GROUND transport within 90 minutes, you pay only half price. and it also goes the other way around. use the bus/trolley/tram and within 90 minutes the Metro, the fare is only half price for the metro. by the way, if you use the MCK, the Central railway line, the entrance to the Metro, it was at least on THAT one station where it was basically just changing trains, not going outside at all, was free. and to pay the Metro now, the credit card system payment is working. at least yesterday it was in Strogino and in Partisanskaya. i special tried these two.

Tiancai
02-02-2017, 18:05
The 90 minute ticket only makes sense if you use both types of transport every time. In case you often take trips on metro only and on bus only, it's more effective to add two separate tickets to your card. For example, I usually have metro 60 rides and ground transport 60 rides on the same card, and the rides are subtracted according to the particular type of transport used. This way, I use up the metro 60 rides in about a month and a half, while the bus/trolley rides last for almost 3 months. Also, you should keep up with fare hike notices, when I found out about the fare hike to take place after New Year's, I recharged both options on my card, so I'm still riding on old tariffs as of now.

Benedikt
02-02-2017, 18:43
, I recharged both options on my card, so I'm still riding on old tariffs as of now.[/QUOTE]0

check next time on the turnstiles how much you pay....

Tiancai
03-02-2017, 12:41
[COLOR="#FF0000"], I recharged both options on my card, so I'm still riding on old tariffs as of now.

check next time on the turnstiles how much you pay....

I know what you're getting at, and if I had charged it with cash, I would indeed be paying 35 rubles a ride at the new rates. But when you get a 60 ride ticket charged on your card, it subtracts rides, not money, from your card every time you swipe it. So for example if I have 60 rides, it says 59 on the display after I swipe it once.

Benedikt
03-02-2017, 19:27
I know what you're getting at, and if I had charged it with cash, I would indeed be paying 35 rubles a ride at the new rates. But when you get a 60 ride ticket charged on your card, it subtracts rides, not money, from your card every time you swipe it. So for example if I have 60 rides, it says 59 on the display after I swipe it once.

good for you indeed. because on my troika is says how much money i still have left and not rides. and suppose 60 rides in 3 month is fair enough.

DiscoverLearn
04-02-2017, 20:02
The 90 minute ticket only makes sense if you use both types of transport every time. In case you often take trips on metro only and on bus only, it's more effective to add two separate tickets to your card. For example, I usually have metro 60 rides and ground transport 60 rides on the same card, and the rides are subtracted according to the particular type of transport used. This way, I use up the metro 60 rides in about a month and a half, while the bus/trolley rides last for almost 3 months. Also, you should keep up with fare hike notices, when I found out about the fare hike to take place after New Year's, I recharged both options on my card, so I'm still riding on old tariffs as of now.

How can one add bus rides on Troika card?

vossy7
04-02-2017, 21:17
Here's the most amazing thing about the Metro...... many of my egotistical Russian business friends would never be seen dead on the Metro, I still love them though as they prefer to sit in their cute cars in never ending traffic jams ...... I travel every day on the Metro with my Troika card playing scrabble on my iPad :winking:

Benedikt
05-02-2017, 02:29

i have a - no limit- Troika card. that means i can load it with as much or as little money i want. i can use it on the Metro and all above ground transport. i also can go to the zoo-park, without waiting in line....i can add money either paying by credit card at the cash desks in the Metro itself. or with internet banking, using my credit card again. or pay at any of the myriad terminals that are around in town.

Judge
05-02-2017, 08:59
Which ticket is best depends on how many times you use public transport, use this calculator to find out .
http://troika.mos.ru/en/tariffs/calc/

Tiancai
06-02-2017, 10:02

You just go to a kiosk that sells bus tickets (they are usually next to the bigger bus stops) and ask them to charge the ticket on your troika instead of issuing a separate paper ticket.

Benedikt
06-02-2017, 14:52

http://troika.mos.ru/en/about/where_to_buy/

here...

americaninmoscow
06-02-2017, 16:17
Which ticket is best depends on how many times you use public transport.

that is right.

for me, the unlimited card is the best, since i take public transportation as much as possible, and usually more than 8x a day.

DiscoverLearn
03-05-2017, 18:07
I bought 60 rides subway ticket for 1,700 ~ 2 months ago. Is there any way to check expiry date on it?

Benedikt
03-05-2017, 18:58
I bought 60 rides subway ticket for 1,700 ~ 2 months ago. Is there any way to check expiry date on it?

go to any -Kassa - at any metro station, obvious not during rush hour, and the cashier will tell you.TROIKA cards unfortunately can not be checked on the machines with the yellow dot that are situated in every Metro Station.
But a Troika does not expire as such.

FatAndy
03-05-2017, 19:18
BYB (big yellow box) with LCD screen somewhere on a walll near metro ticket cashiers. Put ticket on the yellow circle of the pad under the screen, read exp. date and number of trips left.

DiscoverLearn
03-05-2017, 22:50
go to any -Kassa - at any metro station, obvious not during rush hour, and the cashier will tell you.TROIKA cards unfortunately can not be checked on the machines with the yellow dot that are situated in every Metro Station.
But a Troika does not expire as such.

It's on my TROIKA card, I gave cashier 1,700 and she gave me 60 rides. A friend of mine suggested me to get this option. If it has no expiry date then I'm good with it.

DiscoverLearn
03-05-2017, 22:56
Another thing I learnt that TROIKA (http://troika.mos.ru/) website 'English' version isn't up to date. All this time I was using it and getting so confused with ticket prices and all. Russian version reflects current information correctly.

FatAndy
04-05-2017, 10:50
Another thing I learnt that TROIKA (http://troika.mos.ru/) website 'English' version isn't up to date. All this time I was using it and getting so confused with ticket prices and all. Russian version reflects current information correctly.
It may appear the surprise, but the state language in RF is Russian. :)

Benedikt
04-05-2017, 15:32
BYB (big yellow box) with LCD screen somewhere on a walll near metro ticket cashiers. Put ticket on the yellow circle of the pad under the screen, read exp. date and number of trips left.

does NOT read Troika cards....

FatAndy
04-05-2017, 19:35
It reads carton red ones, never used Troika

nicklcool
04-05-2017, 21:43

Does too....at least with the 20/40/60 trip options and the unlimited rides options.

Benedikt I think you're refering to troika koshelok (wallet), where you just load money and only get two types of discounts: ride is about 32 rubles (vs. 50 for single tickets), and the transfer discount. But even troika koshelok can be checked on the yellow terminals, also on some terminals on busses (near the middle exit doors) where you should push a blue button first, else the little box will charge you for a ride. And troika koshelok is good for a really long time, at least a year, I believe.

Happy public transport travels, everyone!

Benedikt
04-05-2017, 23:14
Does too....at least with the 20/40/60 trip options and the unlimited rides options.

Benedikt I think you're refering to troika koshelok (wallet), where you just load money and only get two types of discounts: ride is about 32 rubles (vs. 50 for single tickets), and the transfer discount. But even troika koshelok can be checked on the yellow terminals, also on some terminals on busses (near the middle exit doors) where you should push a blue button first, else the little box will charge you for a ride. And troika koshelok is good for a really long time, at least a year, I believe.

indeed that is the one i am thinking off, because this is the only one i have. and every time i use it on the entry at the turnstiles it tells me how much is still left. and how much is the price of a ride. .. i can use my Troika also as entry ticket to the zoo park, without waiting in line. that one can not do with the others. not that one goes to the zoo every day... but we use it when we have friends or relatives from out of town coming.

rusmeister
05-05-2017, 06:09

They seem really eager to track all of our purchases by connecting our names to everything we buy, and Troika seems to be trying to do that with our movements. The banks push me to pay by my card, and not by cash. I'll hold out as long as I can.

Benedikt
05-05-2017, 06:47
They seem really eager to track all of our purchases by connecting our names to everything we buy, and Troika seems to be trying to do that with our movements. The banks push me to pay by my card, and not by cash. I'll hold out as long as I can.

Rus, even without cards, they know already more about us than we know about ourselves.
i was looking for certain shoes, size 45, not easy to find. already after one hour i got advertising on the right side when opening yahoo.

looked for a certain kind of dog food.... never knew so much existed, as it was proposed.
and ad blocker there is NOT working. though since it is not THAT intruding, it does not bother me.

though thank god not in my e mail. there the junk filter i have set so hight, i only get mail though i do check junk mail because it does happen, when it is a first time, something important or interesting might slip through.
more annoying though, o none of my newspapers, the video feed of the news turns on automatically. no way to delete or stop the crap. special when i want to READ only a few things.

Tiancai
05-05-2017, 12:01
It's on my TROIKA card, I gave cashier 1,700 and she gave me 60 rides. A friend of mine suggested me to get this option. If it has no expiry date then I'm good with it.

The Troika card expires in 5 years from the day you got it, but the rides expire 90 days after you charge them on the card. To put it simple, if you have cash on your card, it can be kept on the card for up to 5 years, but if you have rides, those will expire within 3 months of purchase, but if you use them up earlier than that, you can charge up your card again anytime. For example, I use up the 60 rides in about a month and a half (cause I take the subway to work every day), so I'm not worried about the time running out. But my 60 bus rides, that I have on the card as well, last the entire 90 days, so when I see the expiration day approaching and still have rides left, I try to use them as much as possible (for example, taking the trolleybus to work instead of the subway). On ground transportation, when you swipe your card, it usually shows the expiration date and how many rides you still got on the card, so I never had the need to go check this info on one of them checking boxes.

FatAndy
05-05-2017, 12:09
Globalisom-Kapitalizom-NSA-FSB-Mossad ;)

Uncle Wally
05-05-2017, 22:46

Yes it doesn't but what it does do is when you put money on from a credit card you just go to this, hold your card on the place that reads the card and press the touch screen box and your cash is put on your card. Great fun for the whole family!

Uncle Wally
05-05-2017, 22:54

It's 35 rubles for your first ride on bus or metro. Then 19 for bus or metro if you take either within 90 minutes. I think there is a new 2000 ruble option for unlimited rides on bus, metro, tram, trolly bus on the trokia which last for a month. This is what someone told me but I don't use the bus or metro enough to care.

Benedikt
06-05-2017, 04:19
It's 35 rubles for your first ride on bus or metro. Then 19 for bus or metro if you take either within 90 minutes. I think there is a new 2000 ruble option for unlimited rides on bus, metro, tram, trolly bus on the trokia which last for a month. This is what someone told me but I don't use the bus or metro enough to care.

this is definitely worth it if you for instance need a tram or bus, or both to go to the nearest metro. and than in town may a trolley or bus for a few stops..