PDA

View Full Version : There will be blood...

Albertina
02-03-2008, 01:47
What can I say? I'm quite speechless and not sure if this is from disgust or from admiration... It definitely left me with the intention to read the book, which might shed more light for me. It is quite refreshing to see a naked straightforward truth of life, where only the stronger individuals win and all others are deluded idiots (all the morals, rules, other BS are lies fed to the stupid). However, it's not consoling and does not give you the oh-so-expected by the public the feeling of redemption.
Is it good to show this movie?

I know for sure, not in Russia. Russia has already reached the maximum of pragmatism and cynisism in business and politics (and life in general). The public was definitely for the Strong one (Daniel), but I'm not sure it had the same reception in EUrops or the States. Anyone knows? :o

is4fun
02-03-2008, 12:00
I saw the movie about a month back and still think about it. A very cold storyline and so unlike most of the crap that usually comes from Hollywood. I felt the film did depict a realistic view albeit historically. Lewis' persona was amazing.

emp79
02-03-2008, 16:11
Is the film in Moscow???? Where can I see it in English?

smchilds
02-03-2008, 17:13
The film is definitely in Moscow. I am not sure, but it seems to be playing in English (with Russian subtitles) at 35MM 35 :: (http://www.kino35mm.ru/details/245)

Edit: I saw the movie yesterday (at 35MM near Kurskaya) and it definitely is in English with Russian subtitles.

mckarla
02-03-2008, 17:47
However, it's not consoling and does not give you the oh-so-expected by the public the feeling of redemption.
Is it good to show this movie?

I don't know. I think I could be called masochist. Watching that kind of movies is giving me pain and pleasure at the same time. Pain because I see injustice, cruelty, bad characters and it makes me thinking about world that I'm living in and things that i'm doing (I hope I won't lost myself on a way). And then comes a pleasure that someone has got a courage to make such a movie with no happy ending and insist people to think about their own lives

Another great thing I need to say about TWBB is that with every scene I see Daniel-Day Lewis I don't see him as an actor, I see his character (I can't believe it, it's not easy to fool me - I'm professional). It is not happening to me often lately.

Albertina
02-03-2008, 18:39
What has also occured to me is that in the final, actually, noone wins: the strong/rich and powerful stays alone and alcoholic; the believer and spiritual one (the weak one) dies. I think this is so tru about our existence. You can't win.

xSnoofovich
06-03-2008, 10:49
i thought this movie was terrible and a waste of time. it didnt really have a point and daniel day lewis was great, except when he was dancing around " i drink your milkshake" and throwing bowling pins at people.

enlighten me someone - what was this movie about exactly?

Albertina
06-03-2008, 21:18
i thought this movie was terrible and a waste of time. it didnt really have a point and daniel day lewis was great, except when he was dancing around " i drink your milkshake" and throwing bowling pins at people.

enlighten me someone - what was this movie about exactly?

Sorry, what exactly does not makesense to you?

xSnoofovich
07-03-2008, 08:52
what was the point of the movie? what was it trying to tell us?

smchilds
07-03-2008, 10:35
I would agree with the idea that the movie does not "make sense." It's not nonsensical in the way that I thought Mulholland Drive was nonsensical (well, that's another issue). Obviously the plot elements make sense. But what is driving the movie, what is the point? I know people have been arguing about whether There Will Be Blood or No Country for Old Men deserved the oscar. I would say the second movie was better - more interesting, engaging, compelling, and the ending, while abrupt, made sense I think. In There Will Be Blood, I thought the ending was farcical. In a sense, the whole thing seemed like a farce which took itself too seriously. I agree that Daniel Day Lewis gave an "interesting" performance, but I didn't find anything compelling about the character of Daniel Plainview. It seems too simple to just say, well, he is bad and strong and in the end he sort of wins (by being the last survivor), but he also sort of loses (because he is alone and drunk). Yeah, that is the outcome, but what does that say? Is the moral of the story that you shouldn't be an egomaniac with no connections with any other people? I ultimately found the character of Daniel Plainview boring. I would have rather seen some humanity in him, some development, some remorse. Maybe that's cliche, but the ending just left me with a feeling of dissatisfaction. Even if the film is a character study of a person who is completely selfish and hateful, with no ability or desire to change, is that really an interesting character to watch for 3 hours?

NickR
18-03-2008, 11:52
The movie might not make sense to some as there were thousands of copies released onto the black market which had 20 important minutes edited from it.

The real, full version, is 158 minutes so check which one you saw.

I know many who've seen the shortened version (mostly downloaded from Torrents) and were left confused.

lexluthur
21-03-2008, 23:23
DVDrip is now available in mininova with excellent quality.