PDA

View Full Version : Travel over Polish-Kaliningrad border for Russian spouse

seagirl333
23-06-2016, 16:54
Hello. I'm a UK citizen that will be visiting my husband's sister in Kaliningrad. Since my husband is from another part of Russia, he doesn't
have a Schengan visa. Is he required to show a visa to enter Poland if he has our marriage certificate with apostille with him?
I, as a UK citizen have free movement throughout the EU, and will be flying into Gdansk directly from the UK to cross the Polish-
Russian border, as there are some nice cheap flights that way. Since he has never seen Europe, it would be also be great if he had a chance
to have a peak outside of Russia, even for just a moment. If he is allowed to cross into Poland (for example to come meet me before crossing back into Russia together) without a visa and just a marriage cerficate, must I accompany him or can he travel alone? Perhaps, he would only be able to cross the border in my company together with the marriage certificate? Or does he really need a visa? I've tried to call different numbers to find this information out, but with no luck. Also, the Polish embassy in UK just has so many automated recordings that go nowhere.

Does anyone know also, that if a marriage certficate is enough to prove we are family and so permit him free movment to cross into EU
with me, does this document need to be translated into English? I imagine that many Polish might also speak some Russian at the border
crossing.

Thank you very much to whoever may be able to guide me here.

Judge
23-06-2016, 17:28
Your husband must have a schengen visa to enter Poland.When your husband applies for schengen visa in the future, show your marriage certificate,the visa will be free.
For Russians who have had a schengen visa before , some countries, like Greece are issuing 3-5 year multi-entry schengen visas .

seagirl333
23-06-2016, 17:50
Your husband must have a schengen visa to enter Poland.When your husband applies for schengen visa in the future, show your marriage certificate,the visa will be free.
For Russians who have had a schengen visa before , some countries, like Greece are issuing 3-5 year multi-entry schengen visas .

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't know why I was under the impression that a non-EU person could accompany their spouse into EU and not be refused
entry if proof of family is made. The reasoning behind this was suppose to be to not to deny the EU person "right to family life", or so I thought I read somewhere. However, it seems this is not correct form what you say, sadly. :(( My husband's sister that lives in Kaliningrad has a Schengen visa, but says it's because she lives in the region for a specific amount of time and can prove it. My husband comes from deep inside mainland Russia and is also just visiting, not living there. We live in another part of Russia, but are flying to meet and visit his sister from different sides due to something I must resolve in UK. He can still apply for Schengen without proof of living in the Kaliningrad region?

FatAndy
23-06-2016, 19:22
He can still apply for Schengen without proof of living in the Kaliningrad region?
Yes, sure, as for any Shenghen country from any place within Russian Federation.

But for him it's better to apply to the embassy where he plans to enter Shenghen area. If Poland, then Polish embassy/consulate, if Litva - Lithuanian embassy/consulate. After the "opening" of the visa in the initial destination country, he may travel everywhere in Schenghen - this is the most "safe" way.

does this document need to be translated into English? I imagine that many Polish might also speak some Russian at the border crossing.
Nobody here knows exact rules of Polish (Lithuanian) authorities I guess. Call them or visit a website - you or your husband, and ask. Maybe you/him/her will need to translate Russian (British) docs to Polish/Lithuanian. Kaliningrad has the huge number of places to do it.

Judge
23-06-2016, 20:04
Thank you so much for your reply. I don't know why I was under the impression that a non-EU person could accompany their spouse into EU and not be refused
entry if proof of family is made. The reasoning behind this was suppose to be to not to deny the EU person "right to family life", or so I thought I read somewhere. However, it seems this is not correct form what you say, sadly. :(( My husband's sister that lives in Kaliningrad has a Schengen visa, but says it's because she lives in the region for a specific amount of time and can prove it. My husband comes from deep inside mainland Russia and is also just visiting, not living there. We live in another part of Russia, but are flying to meet and visit his sister from different sides due to something I must resolve in UK. He can still apply for Schengen without proof of living in the Kaliningrad region?

Your husband can easily get a schengen visa, have ticket of place he will visit and fill in application form, there are some parts he doesn't even have to fill in cos he's married to an EU citizen, these are marked * on the application form,( see the form here, click on latest, http://www.immihelp.com/visas/schengenvisa/application-form.html
and you don't have to pay a fee, of course you have to show your marriage certificate to prove you're married.
Like Andy said, best apply at the Embassy of the country you plan on visiting first.

Here's a link about a applying for a schengen visa via Spain, they have a list of places in Russia where you can apply,so no need to come to Moscow.

http://www.spainvac-ru.com/moscow/english/contact_us.html

http://www.spainvac-ru.com/moscow/english/how_to_apply.html

Arthuro
30-06-2016, 02:45
Getting a schengen visa nowadays is quite an easy task for Russians. The refusal rate is below 1%. U have to work really hard in order not to get it.:tongue:
Polish border police do speak or at least understand basic Russian but anyway your husband needs a visa.
As for kaliningrad region, their inhabitants have a visa free regime with two Polish regions (incl Gdansk) and that is probably what your husbans's sister was talking about