PDA

View Full Version : Paying Ultilities

Fantastika
22-03-2016, 02:41
My friends have an apartment in Samara, they live somewhere out by Yekaterinburg. They rent the apartment in Samara.

So they didn't get any rental money for last month and when they went to Samara, they discovered the tenant had vacated the apartment and taken the refrigerator with her.

The utilities - electricity, water and gas, haven't been paid for the last year. Now my friends are on the hook for 70k in unpaid bills.

My questions are: Why doesn't the city/utility company cut off the utilities when they haven't been paid for 2-3 months? And two, why are the owners on the hook? The tenant is the one the utility companies should be going after.

Judge
22-03-2016, 08:20
Did your friend have a contract with them,were they legally in the flat, registered and all written down that they pay for utilities.
If all was done legally your friend can report them about not paying the bills,last payment and taking fridge.

Your friend probably has their passport details and phone number ,for now if they don't come to an arrangement they can tell them that they will go to the police,maybe they can work something out instead.

Owners can check about utility payments online..

Benedikt
22-03-2016, 09:46
Did your friend have a contract with them,were they legally in the flat, registered and all written down that they pay for utilities.
If all was done legally your friend can report them about not paying the bills,last payment and taking fridge.

Your friend probably has their passport details and phone number ,for now if they don't come to an arrangement they can tell them that they will go to the police,maybe they can work something out instead.

Owners can check about utility payments online..

nothing more to add....

but if they were not registered, the landlord also avoids paying tx this way,maybe than it is better not making noise, he is sitting on the unpaid bills. and has to pay up.

Uncle Wally
22-03-2016, 10:37
My friends have an apartment in Samara, they live somewhere out by Yekaterinburg. They rent the apartment in Samara.

So they didn't get any rental money for last month and when they went to Samara, they discovered the tenant had vacated the apartment and taken the refrigerator with her.

The utilities - electricity, water and gas, haven't been paid for the last year. Now my friends are on the hook for 70k in unpaid bills.

My questions are: Why doesn't the city/utility company cut off the utilities when they haven't been paid for 2-3 months? And two, why are the owners on the hook? The tenant is the one the utility companies should be going after.

They can't cut off utilities especial in these trying times. This is not America you know.

Benedikt
22-03-2016, 11:37
They can't cut off utilities especial in these trying times. This is not America you know.

they can do it in Moscow. we have these new fancy electric power readers, no ЖKX man has to come and turn something off. you don/t pay, they switch off the electricity from their office.
the same with the water or gas. they CAN turn it off for a whole section. and leave a not that because this and that place have not paid, there is nothing. than go and face the angry neighbors. OR, outside, in front of each apartement is the cold and hot water cut off. needs a fancy key to open. they just come and turn it off. it CAN be done. though seldom is.
telephone and TV is easy, no pay, no call,no watch...

Uncle Wally
22-03-2016, 13:06
Never happen. All they can do is harass you to pay but they will not shut of your water heat or electricity. Phone yes, TV yes but nothing more. They also can't take your apartment if you don't pay taxes or owe money.

Benedikt
22-03-2016, 16:19
Never happen. All they can do is harass you to pay but they will not shut of your water heat or electricity. Phone yes, TV yes but nothing more. They also can't take your apartment if you don't pay taxes or owe money.

maybe. and i am definitely will not want to try and find it out the hard way. but what they DEFINITELY CAN DO. if you owe more than 10 000 rubles and you want to fly out, youCOULD say your plane good bye until you paid up...

Uncle Wally
22-03-2016, 17:29
maybe. and i am definitely will not want to try and find it out the hard way. but what they DEFINITELY CAN DO. if you owe more than 10 000 rubles and you want to fly out, youCOULD say your plane good bye until you paid up...

Yes that is true. You won't be going on vacation outside Russia even if it's a fine of 1000 rubles for riding bus without a ticket.

Fantastika
25-03-2016, 21:41

How do they know that? Is it computerized? How would the customs agent checking your passport at the Aeroflot exit gate at Sherrymatevo know that you owe Yoshkar-Ola 27,000 rubles for electric bill?

Uncle Wally
25-03-2016, 23:08
How do they know that? Is it computerized? How would the customs agent checking your passport at the Aeroflot exit gate at Sherrymatevo know that you owe Yoshkar-Ola 27,000 rubles for electric bill?

The wonders of the internet. How does one bank know you defaulted on a loan from another bank? Your friends have a long time to pay as long as they don't want to go to Cyprus for vacation. Hell if they never leave Russia they might never have to pay. Debtors prison ended over hundred years ago with the innovation of fiat currency. Or at least it should have. Hey if they can just magically make money we have a right to magically not pay it back. If it didn't exist before we borrowed it, maybe it an just go away as easily as it came in to being? Why worry over something that came from nothing, it's not like they had to work for it! Like you had to work for something they just made out of thin air. I wish I too had the magic money wond.

Uncle Wally
25-03-2016, 23:25
If I had the magic money wond we'd all have a good time. Me I'm stupid, I don't care if you have more than you as long as I have enough and I don't need much. I understand that I can't take anything with me when I go so why collect a bunch of junk that people will fight over when I'm dead that they can't take with them when they die (like all living things will) just to leave the junk they got from me to add to the junk they collated and the junk that their children collected adding to their children's children junk. Sometimes I really wonder how big heaven or hell has to be to accommodate all my great great. great grandmothers and fathers. Birthdays must be hell I'm heaven! What do you get for the person who's got everything! Literally!

Russian Lad
26-03-2016, 10:26

Isn't it the same kvas patriot who told you about cheap bread in Russia? He is smelling the coffee now? Looks like refrigerator has definitely won the battle with tv set. The victory seems to be final and unequivocal...:tongue::smug:

Uncle Wally
26-03-2016, 13:09
Isn't it the same kvas patriot who told you about cheap bread in Russia? He is smelling the coffee now? Looks like refrigerator has definitely won the battle with tv set. The victory seems to be final and unequivocal...:tongue::smug:

What are you talking about? The people renting knew they could get away with not paying but when they stole the fridge that's something they could go to jail for.

They must have stolen it to put all that non existent food in that RL is always babbling about.

Fantastika
26-03-2016, 13:20

"smelling the coffee"?

Now that I think about it, why would the tenant take the refrigerator with her? She is looking for new apartment to live, and she is carting around a refrigerator? My money's on the neighbors, but why would anyone want a refrigerator that belonged to Stalin's grandfather? :)

Okay I googled it: "wake up and smell the coffee" is there, "North American" but I've never heard it. Maybe it's Canadian. I was thinking "wake up and smell the roses."

Russian Lad
26-03-2016, 13:24
She is looking for new apartment to live, and she is carting around a refrigerator? My money's on the neighbors, but why would anyone want a refrigerator that belonged to Stalin's grandfather?

When you are dirt poor everything comes in handy, I assume, even an old fridge. They can sell it and buy food - one more day without starvation, not bad. Just survival.