PDA

View Full Version : Basic question- best place to buy groceries in Moscow

Winterjacket
16-02-2016, 05:50
Hello members,

I'm wondering where the best place to buy groceries is. I know in the west the best place is usually the really big supermarkets. Is this the case in Moscow as well? Or is going to a series of smaller shops the way to go?

When I say best place, I mean the best selection and price. Ignoring any specialty wants of course. For example, a basic grocery trip such as for cheese, bread, chicken pieces, vegetables, spices, potatoes, rice, wine and beer.

Thank you.

Benedikt
16-02-2016, 07:23
Hello members,

I'm wondering where the best place to buy groceries is. I know in the west the best place is usually the really big supermarkets. Is this the case in Moscow as well? Or is going to a series of smaller shops the way to go?

When I say best place, I mean the best selection and price. Ignoring any specialty wants of course. For example, a basic grocery trip such as for cheese, bread, chicken pieces, vegetables, spices, potatoes, rice, wine and beer.

Thank you.

would be nice to know in which part of Moscow you live.no use schlepping shopping all over town when you might have a big Mega around the corner. If you have your own transport GLOBUS, 4 km out on Riga highway (NW of Moscow..) is a super place. German type super hyper,own bakery,own Butchery ( with a german butcher master).We go there once a month to do the big shopping.also have a good self service restaurant. next to it also a big LeroyMerlin for all your hardware-plumping-building needs.We live in Strogino,NW district. For once a week, Milk and the likes, it is Billa,Aliya Parusa because they are walking distance, around the corner shops.Try also to become a regular in the little local shops. you will be amazed what the y will do for you,once they know you are a regular. when shopping i also count driving time or standing in kine for hours at the cash desk...not worth saving 5 rubles on a liter milk, while having to drove 2hours.

AUCHAN by the way have a neat way of paying. at the tills they only ring up what you bought. and 5 steps away you have the terminals to pay. cash or cards,and you do it at your own (fast or slow) pace.... and for whatever reason, they always have the cheapest bananas in town...if you have pets, biggest selection of petfood..

TVOI DOM, several locations, they are also on the Internet, big supermarket,very good selection, lots of imports at ridiculous prices. shopping for all you need, from a snow plow, emergency generators to huge palm trees and cacti that are 100 years old...(i like it there. and they are also around. 65km on the MKAD)

if you have your own business or -connections-, get a METRO card. this is a wholesaler for business only, though it should be no problem to get a card..

There are also SELLGROS Hypers, METRO with out the (business) cards. only their company card is needed. no problem to get. they make it there on the premises when you come for the first time. belongs to the German REWE Group, same as Metro. Super selection.

Kartoshka
18-02-2016, 20:25
AUCHAN by the way have a neat way of paying. at the tills they only ring up what you bought. and 5 steps away you have the terminals to pay. cash or cards,and you do it at your own (fast or slow) pace
This must depend on which store, because the Auchan I visit just has regular cashiers.

Judge
18-02-2016, 23:19
I 2nd what the chef said about Globus, new one just opened up outside Pushkino,the place is huge, I was impressed with the whole place,the alcohol section is one of the biggest I've ever seen,not only this section is impressive but the whole layout of the place makes for easy navigating ,the fruit and veg on display is the best quality I've seen here,all top quality stuff,from meat to cheese, just what I would expect from a German company.
About it being huge, there are over 70 tills and about 20 places where you scan the items yourself and pay.
Prices are decent, the wine I usually buy at my local dixy shop is 60ru cheaper at Globus, lots of other stuff cheaper too.I've been to most of the well known supermarkets here, Globus is by far the best there is.

Uncle Wally
19-02-2016, 00:17
I have found that you can't just shop at one place. If you want the best deals on certain items you just need to go to different shops. Sales and discounts shift around. I have an Auchan close to my place but it is not always the cheapest. There is some rotation going on, which makes sense because sale and discounts draw people into a shop. For the biggest discount you need to go to more than one place.

Benedikt
19-02-2016, 07:32
This must depend on which store, because the Auchan I visit just has regular cashiers.

64 km on the Mkhad, out here in Strogino. maybe this one is a pilot? works very well by the way. they are also doing generous renovations. place being spruced up indeed.

Benedikt
19-02-2016, 07:37
I have found that you can't just shop at one place. If you want the best deals on certain items you just need to go to different shops. Sales and discounts shift around. I have an Auchan close to my place but it is not always the cheapest. There is some rotation going on, which makes sense because sale and discounts draw people into a shop. For the biggest discount you need to go to more than one place.

BILLA are good with discounts..... they do it in such a way, with products in such quantities, sizes and measures or producers, it is nearly impossible to compare prices. though
in general, they have discounts, check your post boy for their fliers.BUT also check when it is payday for the pensioners. THAN the discount is the deepest. you will find no trolleys, no baskets. and the babushkas are RUTHLESS......

Judge
19-02-2016, 09:37
64 km on the Mkhad, out here in Strogino. maybe this one is a pilot? works very well by the way. they are also doing generous renovations. place being spruced up indeed.

That's a long way to go if it's just for food shopping, money saved will be spent on petrol. :)

I agree with Billa also being good, never seen bad fruit and veg there, the worst thing about Billa is their bakery , very harmful for my diet, go the right time in the morning and they have very tasty pies,garlic bread, and mini pizza thingys., which often sell out very quick.

Benedikt
19-02-2016, 10:02
That's a long way to go if it's just for food shopping, money saved will be spent on petrol. :)

I agree with Billa also being good, never seen bad fruit and veg there, the worst thing about Billa is their bakery , very harmful for my diet, go the right time in the morning and they have very tasty pies,garlic bread, and mini pizza thingys., which often sell out very quick.

Judge it is indeed. but check out their homepage Auchan has shops all over Moscow. ATACK by the way is also Auchan. they are more out of Moscow. by the way, i also count my TIME when going shopping. GLOBUS we only go at my insistence because they have the best Meatloaf (Leberkäse) in town. And we do the BIG shopping, once a month, there. Which is for me mainly sausage products. ( they have a German butcher...).
Billa/s bakery is indeed ... bad...They have worked out their ads to the finest. smell of fresh bread and cookies. taste buds are working overtime. NEVER bring the kids when shopping there before lunchtime!
shopping at different places to get the best discounts? well, Auchan ALWAYS has the cheapest bananas. but i think they are a loss leader. because no one goes there to buy a kilo. i think one should try to do as test buy. same products, same quantity and quality. add the cost of transport. how does one calculate time? i have the feeling, people are being suckered at these big hypers, thinking they have so much and buy so much, they MUST be cheaper than the local store around the corner. not always true/// and QUALITY is something, the little shop around the corner can deliver more often than the big shops...

vossy7
19-02-2016, 14:42
For me , unashamedly , Auchan is the place to shop, 5 years ago I would never go near the place....but the veggies .....I do like the babushkas do .....tear the stalks of the Cauliflower et al, I found the greenest of broccoli there today and broke off the big freaking stalks....the leeks are amazing .....we will be having nice stir fry this evening:smile:
The wines are still the best priced in Moscow , a very nice Pinot Gris (which would cost you X 5 + in a restaurant ) there is still ~500 Rubles .
All in all ...I don't have a Metro card so Auchan gets my vote ......but go early!

Benedikt
19-02-2016, 17:55
t of broccoli there today and broke off the big freaking stalks....

Vossy, don-t !! you throw away the best part of the broccoli! there are several ways to utilize them. cut off the Broccoli florets. and than peel the stalk. cut them in cubes, use it for vegetable soup or add to mixed vegetables. or just braise them, with finely chopped onions and a little bit cream or sour cream , chopped parsley or dill, like KOHLRABI. ( chefkoch.de has good recipes, or just type in to your browser recipes braised kohlrabi) or cut the stalks into thin slices, blanch them, pat them dry and crumb and fry them togehter with zucchini and (big) sliced mushrooms.

vossy7
19-02-2016, 18:38
Ben thanks, but the stalks are the most dense and expensive.....but I will honestly take your lead here.
V7

Winterjacket
25-02-2016, 07:15
Thank you everyone for this information