PDA

View Full Version : Lucifer's Son

Fantastika
29-01-2016, 21:41
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lucifers-son-sergey-mavrodi/1122770667

I am hearing on the radio, several times a day, ads for this book. Authors/publishing companies rarely advertise on broadcast media in the US. Last time I heard a fiction book radio ad was a couple of years ago. Whoever is promoting this piece is spending a ton of money.

Amazon reviewers generally place it in the "mediocre" bin.

I like horror, but not this type, I like more subtle horror. Anyway, today everything is goth and vampires, horror is only written by a couple of oldies-but-goodies: King and Koontz.

The ad claims "Lucifer;s Son" is the translation of "the best-seller from Russia." Is true?

Benedikt
30-01-2016, 05:49
This page is unavailable due to either geographic restrictions or other restrictions in place at this time. NOTE: other restrictions can be a result of our security platform detecting potential malicious activity. Please try again later as the restrictions may be lifted, or contact your service provider if the issue persists.

ID: 2592836214217480834

this is what i got when i tried to open your link....

AstarD
30-01-2016, 14:13
Yeah, what Benedikt said.

Try this link (http://www.a-argusbooks.com/Storelucifersson.htm)to find out about the author.

Fantastika
30-01-2016, 15:10
Yeah, what Benedikt said.

Try this link (http://www.a-argusbooks.com/Storelucifersson.htm)to find out about the author.

What a career this guy had.

I wonder if his MMM business, with 15 million members, was on the up-and-up, or just a scheme to enrich himself.

Fantastika
30-01-2016, 15:25
This page is unavailable due to either geographic restrictions or other restrictions in place at this time. NOTE: other restrictions can be a result of our security platform detecting potential malicious activity. Please try again later as the restrictions may be lifted, or contact your service provider if the issue persists.

ID: 2592836214217480834

this is what i got when i tried to open your link....

I wonder who's geographically censoring the link, US or Russia? Or competitive bookstores? Is he on the sanctions list? Possible that Russian authorities don't like what's in the book. The Pentagon tried to ban "The Moscow Connection" (Robin Moore) through buying the publishing company and refusing to print any copies, but eventually the author got another company to print it. The book was fiction, but fact-based, and Washington wanted some of that "to-close-to-reality" information kept under wraps.

How about the Amazon link, that's the big one. Does this link work?

http://www.amazon.com/Lucifers-Son-Temptation-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B016COE5V2/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Is it possible to buy this book in Russia, through Yandex maybe?

AstarD
30-01-2016, 18:37
For sure you can buy the kindle version. It doesn't say right away if they will deliver to Russia. Books aren't really a problem, though, usually.

FatAndy
30-01-2016, 18:58
I wonder who's geographically censoring the link, US or Russia? Or competitive bookstores? Is he on the sanctions list?
In Russia the state language is Russian, comrade ;)

http://royallib.com/book/mavrodi_sergey/iskushenie_sin_lyutsifera.html - fb2, doc, html, rtf, txt - what is suitable for your reader... but in Russian.

Uncle Wally
30-01-2016, 19:17
In Russia the state language is Russian, comrade ;)

http://royallib.com/book/mavrodi_sergey/iskushenie_sin_lyutsifera.html - fb2, doc, html, rtf, txt - what is suitable for your reader... but in Russian.

Really? And Russians wonder why things are so bad here. You must speak English, drink Coca cola, eat McDonald's and have gay people parading around all the time glorifying unnatural sex. Only then Russia can be considered a "normal" place.

FatAndy
30-01-2016, 22:52
And Russians wonder why things are so bad here.
Where?

You must speak English, drink Coca cola, eat McDonald's and have gay people parading around all the time glorifying unnatural sex.
...fight for so called "democracy", "values" and, moreover, always pay taxes! :rasta:

Uncle Wally
30-01-2016, 23:32
Where?

...fight for so called "democracy", "values" and, moreover, always pay taxes! :rasta:

Ha taxes! I just read that the Rothschild have set up operations in the US state of Nevada because of a tax exempt law they have there. It's killing Swiss banks and other "off shore" banks. In other news the US has just fined Swiss banks for not reporting tax invading accounts. You know if America didn't have so many nukes and such a large aggressive military I would think the Swiss are a bunch of pu$$ies.

Fantastika
02-02-2016, 00:13
Does anyone know if the book is a best-seller in Russia, as his US ads claim?

Benedikt
02-02-2016, 00:21

http://www.amazon.com/Lucifers-Son-Temptation-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B016COE5V2/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Is it possible to buy this book in Russia, through Yandex maybe?[/QUOTE]

it works. i clicked on the cover. opened the whole book. i saved it and will read it now.

Benedikt
02-02-2016, 00:33
What a career this guy had.

I wonder if his MMM business, with 15 million members, was on the up-and-up, or just a scheme to enrich himself.

i am not quite sure, but the rumors do not want to go away. MMM was for the plebs to get fleeced. and than there was an MMM special or extra, where the REAL cash went and made REAL money.this i heard when i was working in Lipetsk, and they still had an office there, and people still went in there. what did they do? never went in myself to find out. and for sure not to part with my money....

Fantastika
02-02-2016, 02:45

Is it possible to buy this book in Russia, through Yandex maybe?

it works. i clicked on the cover. opened the whole book. i saved it and will read it now.

Cool, I didn't know you could do that. But it's not the whole book, just the first part. I suppose if you read it, and liked it, it's like a carrot to get you to buy the whole thing.

Fantastika
02-02-2016, 02:52
I just read a page. Not really my cup of tea.

Short, awkward sentences, or long and disjointed, except for the dialogue, the conversations ring true.

Probably the Russian version is better, the words don't flow smoothly in this English version.

Would make a good read if you can put aside the accurate but stiff translation, and concentrate on the story.

Fantastika
02-02-2016, 03:39
I don't know if I could slog through this, even with some beers. :)

I think I've put my finger on why I think this is a tough read - the translator is using too many words, unnecessary or redundant words. This is not uncommon - most English writers do the same thing, but the reader, especially in an action novel, prefers short and sweet, not long and tedious.

I opened a page at random. Here is a section of sentences, and how I would change them (my changes in parentheses):

The sorcerer was very near him.
(The sorcerer was near.)

Time stopped for Fedor. A step... one more.
(Time stopped). (A step...then another...)

Right now.
(Now.)

At that moment, Jack leapt.
(Jack leaped.)

Fedor caught a glimpse of some movement,
(Fedor glimpsed movement,)

and the next moment,
(then)

a growling and shrieking tangle of the two bodies of the man and the dog rolled on the ground.
(a growling, shrieking tangle of man and dog rolling around on the ground.)

The plot may be good, the characters described well, the dialogues and conversations are excellent, but the translation, uh, not so good. I wonder if the Russian version has better style?

Benedikt
02-02-2016, 07:07
Cool, I didn't know you could do that. But it's not the whole book, just the first part. I suppose if you read it, and liked it, it's like a carrot to get you to buy the whole thing.

well it was to good to be true... can only read when you stay on the link. saving did not work. and it is indeed a teaser only. though could not tease me. i gave up after a few pages. to weird for me.