PDA

View Full Version : Personal Section

Random
23-03-2004, 16:02
Ok I am in a grumpy mood today so I'll put that at the start.
Also I have put this in Cafe so as to keep the conversation sensible (if thatís possible ;))

However I have a small gripe / question .....

Why is it when anyone post's a wanted advert in the Personal Section - the world and his goose feels they have to throw up all sorts of questions, insults and criticisms. Why can you not let these people be ?

I realize that some of them are a tad crazy, however I am sure there are one or two lost souls who are looking and this gives them some ray of hope. Which is then crushed by the wags of the board who think that itís good sport.

Maybe this section could be post only and no comments allowed ?

Maybe its just me !

sfjohns67
23-03-2004, 16:11
Grumps, don't you watch the Discovery Channel? We're all just sharks waiting for that innocent little fishie to start gimping.

Random
23-03-2004, 16:30
No never watch Discovery - way too much sex and violence !!
I go to the Boar House or Hard Rock and watch it for real :D

ghost 6-3
23-03-2004, 16:34
I guess the targets are too easy, the anonymity is too empowering, and too many of us use this site for sarcastic chit-chat and inane bantering to take the time to take these people seriously.

Hugh Jass
23-03-2004, 16:39
Narf-Random-Man,

I feel it might have been my "cooking" comment in the "Friendship, Maybe More" thread that spurred your little rant.

If so, I would only point out in my defense that the original ad was posted in the Cafe, and hence I considered it fair game for a somewhat humorous response.

In general, though, I agree. Poor lonely sods should be left alone and not ridiculed.

Someone once commented that you shouldn't be able to respond to personals, and while that would rob a significant number of regular posters of their fun, it would probably increase the effectiveness of such a folder.

Anyway.

Cheers,
Hugh

camaeljax
23-03-2004, 16:40
ALetha - Such a cynic of love at such a young age. Tragic. Obviously the result of way too much expat mauling. Obviously you have been hanging out in all the wrong places. (Like here, for instance)

Braders
23-03-2004, 16:42
Hopefully Teutonic will sort this out soon, other alternatives are closing the thread and asking interested parties to use the PM.

Alethea
23-03-2004, 16:45
Originally posted by camaeljax
ALetha - Such a cynic of love at such a young age. Tragic. Obviously the result of way too much expat mauling. Obviously you have been hanging out in all the wrong places. (Like here, for instance)

not a cynic of love;)

a solgier of love..... a mistery of love... and simply a lovely-jubbly girl:p

Random
23-03-2004, 16:45
Hugh - no mate wasn't your cooking question ... (valid question though - my last 3 dates have only been able to burn water ;))

Just looked at the thread again and quite a few have been deleted so cannot see which one sparked my ire. I think it was just the tone of where it was going.

I back the idea that it is orginal post only and no comments if the mod's want to hold a straw poll on the idea.

Hugh Jass
23-03-2004, 16:48
Phew. I hate being the impetus for rants. I like using the word impetus, though.

Random
23-03-2004, 16:51
Its a nice word - liked gimping in SFJ's better though ....

Hugh Jass
23-03-2004, 16:52
How about 'plethora' ?

Random
23-03-2004, 17:07
Nah ! way off base mate !!

Benz
23-03-2004, 17:44
Leave'm alone, your jelous e

The70th
23-03-2004, 19:15
I didn't even know we had a personal's folder...

and i claim 'cannibal' for the wonderful immages it puts into your head :)

Banned 1st
23-03-2004, 21:40
Originally posted by Random
Why is it when anyone post's a wanted advert in the Personal Section - the world and his goose feels they have to throw up all sorts of questions, insults and criticisms. Why can you not let these people be ?

Maybe this section could be post only and no comments allowed ?

Maybe its just me !

No it's not just you!:) I asked moderators several times to give posters in Personals an option of No replies. Good to see it's finally moving:)