PDA

View Full Version : TV,Computer on standby,anywhere to find out how much it costs on electricity?

Benedikt
01-12-2015, 20:44
I know from Austria it can be up to 80-100 Euro for a household with 3 TV-sets an2 computers. if they are being left on standby instead of turning off completely.

FatAndy
01-12-2015, 20:49
I know from Austria it can be up to 80-100 Euro for a household with 3 TV-sets an2 computers. if they are being left on standby instead of turning off completely.
Depends on the model, you may read in the tech specs, but usually it is 5W and less.

Fantastika
03-12-2015, 04:01
If you throw the TV's in the dumpster, you will save even more, and be happier, too!

Armoured
03-12-2015, 09:53

EU regulations (similar exists in USA and as a result most places in world) limit standby power consumption to maximum 1 watt. More recent televisions and etc do far better than that, so 1 watt should be far more than reality.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32009R0642#ntr6-L_2009191EN.01004201-E0006

Computers have these regs:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32013R0617#ntr4-L_2013175EN.01001301-E0004

It's a bit confusing but short form is that better modern laptops are similar to televisions (when fully charged, charging obviously is a different story). All-in-one computers like iMacs should also be roughly like a television. Big box homemade computers will be worse.

It's a terrible website but you can find information for most of the stuff here:
http://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/european-standards/harmonised-standards/ecodesign/standbyandoffmode_en.htm

So for televisions, assuming 1 watt, standby alone for an entire year would be 24 * 365 = 8760 watts or 8.76 kwH. I don't know cost of electricity in Austria but in Italy/Germany it's something like 20 US cents per KWh. Or max-max a couple dollars a year.

I see no way it could get to 80-100 Euros a year for just standby. But those with older televisions or computers, or those who leave them on all the time, could end up paying quite a bit more. (Old CRT televisions were very, very bad in standby/remote turn-on mode because many designs kept the tube warm all the time, this is less of an issue with flat-screen, LCDs, etc., although modern designs help a lot)

People always talk about all those power bricks and chargers that are left plugged in and not charging anything, or things like set-top boxes. Some of those are indeed bad. But a simple test: for the most part if you want to know if your electronics gear is drawing too much power, _feel it_. If you can't find any part that's noticeably warmer, it's not drawing much electricity. I find that I do have a few things like cheap chargers and a media player that are terrible, but most other things not really.

(Even ones that are warm are probably not consuming much, but you'd have to look at the details)

Hans.KK
05-12-2015, 11:39
Refrigerators, freezers, electric cookers, electric water heaters, electric floor heating, electric room heating are the big powers consumers, dish washers and washing machines add up too especially if you use them often.
Many people have positive benefit on there electricity bill if they learn to use there electric appliance in the right way from an electric power savings point of view.
You may loose more that 50% of the power you burn in your electric cookers if you use it in a wrong way (and/or wrong pots and pans), and it is significant different from the way you use a gas cooker, but try to tell that to a housewife and you are dead.
The Russian way of home-comfort goes like this: Full power on all that can produce heat, then we regulate the room temperature by opening windows/doors, that custom cost, no matter what source you have of heating.

Benedikt
05-12-2015, 19:44
hans my argument was not the electricity bill as such, or boiling in the kettle 2 ltr water for 1 cup of tea. leaving the electric plate on until the last moment and only when pulling off the pot, turning off the knobs.
i also know at midnight the /our power meter changes, we have these new computer things. and after midnight we pay for 3kv the same as during the day for 1kv. meaning it is 2/3 cheaper. so the washing machine runs only after midnight......
the 80 euro for Europe i got from an older brochure. i checked again. it is indeed for =tube= TV's and older type computers.my old iMac came under that category.
i think i will get an independent electrician to have a look at out box. maybe there is a cable connected that is not supposed to be? and some clown gets free electricity and we pay. happened not the first time....