PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an experienced American teacher for a 10 y/o

natlee
28-09-2015, 15:44
I'm looking for an American teacher for my 10 year old daughter. Her level is... she can get by, just! The teacher must have bachelor's degree (preferably in English) and (records of) previous supervised teaching experience - teaching children specifically. Must teach the student to use the English (American) language correctly through reading, writing and analyzing text. In other words, I'm looking to see my daughter being able to speak, read and write properly, all three being essential.

Both parents speak English, and we have more than enough American friends, some of whom teach privately. However, I strongly believe that the needed result can only be achieved by a professional teacher who will come to teach only - as opposed to staying for a tea party afterwards, which tends to send the child the wrong signal making her far more relaxed about the lessons than she needs to be.

Best times would probably be around 6 PM, Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Once a week for about an hour should be a good start, and then we might want to add another day depending on progress and our schedules. If you think you're a suitable candidate, please write to nat_ashka@yahoo.com (inbox on here is full). Thank you.

TolkoRaz
28-09-2015, 21:32
Can I ask why you specifically want an American teacher to teach English (American)?

Why not a British person, or a New Zealander, Australian or South African?

natlee
28-09-2015, 22:48
Can I ask why you specifically want an American teacher to teach English (American)?

Why not a British person, or a New Zealander, Australian or South African? Good question, especially since she studies British English at school (no choice there!) Well, I did give it some thought, and came up with a couple of reasons. 1) (Silly one, but still..) She wants to learn American English, and 2) (Another silly one but hey...) Her father is American, and she's got a US passport without the English to match it! :nut: Eventually, it would be nice if she could know (if not speak) both. If ever we move to the UK (you never know, and I do love the place) then I'll make sure I'll get her an English teacher ;) Are you volunteering? :cool:

TolkoRaz
29-09-2015, 00:03
Good question, especially since she studies British English at school (no choice there!) Well, I did give it some thought, and came up with a couple of reasons. 1) (Silly one, but still..) She wants to learn American English, and 2) (Another silly one but hey...) Her father is American, and she's got a US passport without the English to match it! :nut: Eventually, it would be nice if she could know (if not speak) both. If ever we move to the UK (you never know, and I do love the place) then I'll make sure I'll get her an English teacher ;) Are you volunteering? :cool:

I would be a terrible teacher, my 'Engrish' is not good enough, I learnt it many years ago and tend to still use words such as 'whilst' which seem to attract much sneering from those better educated than me, but most importantly, I do not believe that you could afford my daily rates / fees!

I write 'daily', because I always charge for my other services by the day, or night! ;)

FYI, I also charge a full daily rate when travelling to or from task, even if relaxing in Business Class at cost to my client! :)

natlee
29-09-2015, 23:13
I would be a terrible teacher, my 'Engrish' is not good enough I've noticed! ;)

vossy7
29-09-2015, 23:16
Ever thought about Irish English:ligthbulb:

natlee
29-09-2015, 23:18
Ever thought about Irish English:ligthbulb: No honey - could not afford you for sure! ;)

vossy7
29-09-2015, 23:26
Nat, I thought you had so many Brit friends and what about the American dad.......I do Skype English sessions with my wife's goddaughter two or three times a week and they are working very well!

natlee
29-09-2015, 23:51
Nat, I thought you had so many Brit friends and what about the American dad.......I do Skype English sessions with my wife's goddaughter two or three times a week and they are working very well! The American dad has always spoken Russian with her which is the main problem - his Russian is good enough, but now her English isn't :( And yes, friends I've got but she needs someone she does not know to learn rather than play!

bob-b-d
01-10-2015, 20:47
Your mail box is full.. Send me a message if you are still looking for a teacher.

natlee
01-10-2015, 23:16
Your mail box is full.. Send me a message if you are still looking for a teacher. That's why I said: If you think you're a suitable candidate, please write to nat_ashka@yahoo.com (inbox on here is full).

;)

Uncle Wally
01-10-2015, 23:33
That's why I said: If you think you're a suitable candidate, please write to nat_ashka@yahoo.com (inbox on here is full).

;)

Do you really think you need such a guy? I think the letter between b and d could be an "a".

Why don't you speak English with her? You see her every day right? Your English seems pretty good.

Judge
01-10-2015, 23:45
That's why I said: If you think you're a suitable candidate, please write to nat_ashka@yahoo.com (inbox on here is full).

;)

Why not delete a pm or 2.
There's an option at the bottom to empty all, one click and all are gone.

bob-b-d
02-10-2015, 00:25
You got me Wally! I was writing to fast and separated the two words with out think ing. It could a happened to any body. :)

vossy7
02-10-2015, 04:45

;)

Wow Nat, your mail box on here is full, you are a very popular young lady ..... I believe I have received less than 20 mails on here since 2012 and almost all were abuse from a troll , avuncular sage advice from Andy and Judge and a couple from our esteemed head chef:)

natlee
02-10-2015, 08:31
Why not delete a pm or 2.
There's an option at the bottom to empty all, one click and all are gone. I do that regularly, and have deleted TONS but am just far too sentimental to delete them all :shame: Look at my join date! ;)

natlee
02-10-2015, 08:32
Your English seems pretty good. Must be the worst compliment I've ever gotten :eek:

;)

Uncle Wally
02-10-2015, 09:21
Must be the worst compliment I've ever gotten :eek:

;)

You know me I have a thing for it. Comes natural.