PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Russian citizenship?

captain
24-08-2015, 11:43
Hi, I am a British citizen am married to a Russian citizen. I got my temporary residency just before the new law about having to know Russian came into effect. So luckily I have just over 2 years to learn Russian.

I still need to get my tax number and exit visa etc.

What are the requirements for citizenship? Obviously I have to of passed this Russian language test. Do I also need to get permanent residency first? Or this is not nessisary.

Do I need to have been married for a specific period of time?

Do I need to have been living in Russia for a specific period of time? When does this time start? At the beginning of when my residency was issued or from when my tax number is issued? I have also been living in Russia but under private visas for the past year, but not sure if this counts as living for the purposes of applying for citizenship?

If anyone is able to provide any info it's greatly appreciated :)

xp@
24-08-2015, 15:40
Do I need to have been married for a specific period of time?

Yes. Three years. FMS told me that it's possible to apply beforehand, and then receive citizenship upon being married the 3 years.

The rules tend to vary from one FMS office to another.

xt-tsi
24-08-2015, 15:56
You should go to www.fms.gov.ru and check the regulations.

As far as I know as a Brit married to a Russian citizen, first you need to get your temporary residency, then your permanent residency. After having the permanent residency for five years you can apply for the passport.

The requirements change so check the UFMS site. Your Russian speaking spouse should read the regs at www.fms.gov.ru.

By the way I think you need to get the visa after getting your temporary residency within 7 days. If you need help, PM me and I will recommend someone.

xp@
24-08-2015, 16:11
You should go to www.fms.gov.ru and check the regulations.

As far as I know as a Brit married to a Russian citizen, first you need to get your temporary residency, then your permanent residency. After having the permanent residency for five years you can apply for the passport.

It's only 3 years if you are married to a Russian, and the clock starts when you get married, not when you receive the PRP

The requirements change so check the UFMS site. Your Russian speaking spouse should read the regs at www.fms.gov.ru.

By the way I think you need to get the visa after getting your temporary residency within 7 days. If you need help, PM me and I will recommend someone.

You need to register your TRP within 7 business days. But can get the multi-entry visa whenever you want, if you happen to want or need one. Or you can just stay here and wait a year until you have your PRP - and then you won't need a visa at all

Those are the actual rules.

captain
25-08-2015, 20:26
Thanks for the replies guys, and for the person who PM'd me.

This are the requirements for my situation, which I believe to be correct:

- be married for at least three years
- have 'permanent residency' (вид на жительство).
- pass test of Russian language for the purpose of naturalisation. The test is at base level of TRKI, also known as TORFL. Base level in that system is equivalent to A2 in the European CEFR system.

To get PRP (permeant recency) you will need to pass the test of language, history and law.

-

captain
25-08-2015, 20:29
In regards to temporary residency, as far as I know, and hope, I don't have to get the exit visa within any specific time frame.

I did have to register once I collected my temporary residency, but this is nothing to do with the exit visa. Maybe of useful info for some people reading, that an exit visa is only required for citizens of some countries.

xt-tsi
26-08-2015, 09:33
My apologies! Captain is correct. Sorry for giving the wrong info.