PDA

View Full Version : Wondrous Moscow

penka
15-08-2015, 15:16
Never mind the text, the pictures speak volumes. Moscow budget must be overflowing with money, as the whole city centre looks as delightful. Move pavement skirting and more tiles to the people.

http://anna-nik0laeva.livejournal.com/198906.html

Yes, of course. Improvement.

http://daily.rbc.ru/photoreport/06/08/2015/55c39d0f9a7947158b519f94/19.shtml

TolkoRaz
15-08-2015, 15:23
http://anna-nik0laeva.livejournal.com/

:)

penka
15-08-2015, 15:29
What that got to do with the dug up streets and pavements?...

Benedikt
15-08-2015, 16:30
What that got to do with the dug up streets and pavements?...

we all clicked and had a look, some most probably even did read.
but that is all that counts for her. the more clicks, the more looks, the more money from advertisers. and of course she can brag how many clicks and hits her blog gets every day.

Carl
15-08-2015, 16:36
Moscow budget must be overflowing with money, as the whole city centre looks as delightful.

Indeed! Have a look at these projects..
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/5-suspiciously-expensive-initiatives-that-have-outraged-muscovites/527902.html

nicklcool
15-08-2015, 18:09
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/5-suspiciously-expensive-initiatives-that-have-outraged-muscovites/527902.html

The entire article has such a desperate feel to it; the author is begging you to believe his far fetched hypothesis....and it's deeply suspect that the article cites only one source, Navalny.

Big deal, DC fixes potholes and replaces roads every Spring, and its Winter is probably 1/100th the strength of Moscow's....you would assume given the harsh climate that Moscow does a lot of yearly upkeep of roads and sidewalks.

penka
15-08-2015, 18:39
The entire article has such a desperate feel to it; the author is begging you to believe his far fetched hypothesis....and it's deeply suspect that the article cites only one source, Navalny.

Big deal, DC fixes potholes and replaces roads every Spring, and its Winter is probably 1/100th the strength of Moscow's....you would assume given the harsh climate that Moscow does a lot of yearly upkeep of roads and sidewalks.

Potholes are not very much getting fixed, but the pavement skirtings are dug up at large, making life miserable for the pedestrians and the drivers. In the centre it is hard to find any straight, flat pavement. That is not a hypothesis, nick.

Carl
15-08-2015, 19:43

It really is amazing how your couple of weeks in Russia (when was that exactly?) have left you with the insight to speak with authority on all things Russia. Quite impressive really.

Nobbynumbnuts
15-08-2015, 20:00

It would make sense to fix things like roads and pavements in recession if the government is hoping that their plans on increased infrastructure spending will stimulate the economy. Only problem is with Russia being ranked 136th most corrupt country in the world (from 175) how much of that additional spending is having a real impact and going where it's needed?
As the article suggest, a high proportion is probably going into politicians and business men's pockets. A good example of how corruption holds back economic development...

rumple_stilskin
15-08-2015, 22:29
It would make sense to fix things like roads and pavements in recession if the government is hoping that their plans on increased infrastructure spending will stimulate the economy. Only problem is with Russia being ranked 136th most corrupt country in the world (from 175) how much of that additional spending is having a real impact and going where it's needed?
As the article suggest, a high proportion is probably going into politicians and business men's pockets. A good example of how corruption holds back economic development...

Except these changes are long overdue already. Also for tourism, it has a positive effect so really needs to be done in a hurry, even if it costs more.

It's also about restoring Russian pride and morale. Some of these streets are deluxe now, and it's pleasant to walk around central Moscow. (I liked it before, good enough for me)

Also, there is plenty of corruption in western countries that takes many forms. Some index rating doesn't mean much.

The people that create the index can be corrupt too!! (as evidenced by the 3 rating agencies recent performance about Russia, gave ratings based on political purposes rather than real financial risks)

penka
15-08-2015, 22:44
Except these changes are long overdue already. Also for tourism, it has a positive effect so really needs to be done in a hurry, even if it costs more.

It's also about restoring Russian pride and morale. Some of these streets are deluxe now, and it's pleasant to walk around central Moscow. (I liked it before, good enough for me)

Also, there is plenty of corruption in western countries that takes many forms. Some index rating doesn't mean much.

The people that create the index can be corrupt too!! (as evidenced by the 3 rating agencies recent performance about Russia, gave ratings based on political purposes rather than real financial risks)

You walk in heels? With a buggy? Are an senior citizen?

I stayed with my parents over winter holidays. They live 30 min walk from Kremlin. I can tell you, they'd be better cleaning the streets from the ankle-high snow than creating a building site all over town.

As for the tourists - there are tons of them at my alma mater. The pavement before the main building looks as if it was last renovated during Stalin. It's a shame, Moscow Lomonosov University looks so unkept!

rumple_stilskin
15-08-2015, 22:48

The harshness of the winter makes a big difference. It means more chemicals need to be put on the roads to stop the ice, and this causes more erosion.

If the city has more erosion, having slabs that can be put down and then pulled back up easily makes maintenance in the long term much much cheaper. Perhaps you need to pull up the slabs to because of erosion and add some soil, or maybe you need to replace a burst water pipe or add some telecommunications cables etc. These "digs" are one offs, that reduce maintenance in the long term.

After the refurbishments, its easier to maintain flat pavements year on year. Getting rid of the puddles and ice patches that were commonplace. That's why they are doing it.

Well done Russia, on modernizing the city maintenance and making things more pleasurable for pedestrians.

rumple_stilskin
15-08-2015, 22:54
You walk in heels? With a buggy? Are an senior citizen?

I stayed with my parents over winter holidays. They live 30 min walk from Kremlin. I can tell you, they'd be better cleaning the streets from the ankle-high snow than creating a building site all over town.

As for the tourists - there are tons of them at my alma mater. The pavement before the main building looks as if it was last renovated during Stalin. It's a shame, Moscow Lomonosov University looks so unkept!

You know, they talk about Russians having short term mentality - just Russians?

It's probably the case that maintenance has not been done properly for 30 or 40 years in Moscow, and they have just started to about 5 years ago. Can't be done overnight. yes, they need to dig up stuff while they fix it....

rumple_stilskin
15-08-2015, 23:04
It really is amazing how your couple of weeks in Russia (when was that exactly?) have left you with the insight to speak with authority on all things Russia. Quite impressive really.

That article in the moscow times looks like they are still trying to bag Russia, I suppose keep happy all the readers they accumulated under the previous owners. Or more likely they simply are not at the point to say "Your fired" to their entire journalist team.

Just as an example, they compared some aspects of the bicycle systems in London and Moscow, when the parameters are vastly different. I imagine the London system operates for more months of the year as its not -20 degrees in winter there. And the prices charged to customers as well. Many location specific differences between the cities.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how much it costs to rent the Moscow bikes? What is the deal? Its in Russian, so, I haven't explored this one.

Russian Lad
15-08-2015, 23:17
Given the fact that 80%+ of the RF money rotates around Moscow, I would seriously expect all the houses and blocks of apartments there to be painted with real gold and all the roads to be encrusted with diamonds, rubies and emeralds, every square meter of the road space. :dont-tell-anyone: You take a ride to the nearby areas, and it looks like WW-II is still raging and there is no time to pick up the debris.

The pavement before the main building looks as if it was last renovated during Stalin. It's a shame, Moscow Lomonosov University looks so unkept!

Are you smelling the reality coffee?:) Welcome to the Rodina.:)

penka
15-08-2015, 23:29
Given the fact that 80%+ of the RF money rotates around Moscow, I would seriously expect all the houses and blocks of apartments there to be painted with real gold and all the roads to be encrusted with diamonds, rubies and emeralds, every square meter of the road space. :dont-tell-anyone: You take a ride to the nearby areas, and it looks like WW-II is still raging and there is no time to pick up the debris.

Are you smelling the reality coffee?:) Welcome to the Rodina.:)

Your "reality" is in the line with rus' "truth".

Russian Lad
15-08-2015, 23:35
Your "reality" is in the line with rus' "truth".

What's wrong with my reality? It has changed significantly since 2008, by the way, when I was all gung-ho and "go, Russians, go!". Does Rus ever change his views to welcome the comparison?
And it is not like it was me who posted links about the "wondrous Moscow"... So, I should disregard these links of yours as some lame dirt-slinging from venomous enemies and traitors of the Rodina?:) What's your point?
P.S. The ability to change in a person is a great and enjoyable attribute, you may try it, who knows, you may get to like it... I did.

penka
15-08-2015, 23:38
What's wrong with my reality? It has changed significantly since 2008, by the way, when I was all gung-ho and "go, Russians, go!". Does Rus ever change his views to welcome the comparison?
And it is not like it was me who posted links about the "wondrous Moscow"... So, I should disregard these links of yours as some lame dirt-slinging from the enemies of the Rodina?:) What's your point?

You have turned coat and wish Russians bad now?

Russian Lad
15-08-2015, 23:43
You have turned coat and wish Russians bad now?

You haven't answered my questions. However, to answer yours - sometimes suffering is indeed needed, to purify the thoughts and to amend the actions... Besides, it is not really what I wish, it is what is really happening. You can compare it with an alcoholic who denies his illness - it is impossible to stop his suffering, so I am just trying to snatch the vodka bottle from his hands - even though he will suffer more without it, he will end up being healthier later.
I am just eyeballing the reality unfold... Back in 2008, I was brainwashed and under the influence of the powerful propaganda - I was critical about many things even back then though. It is like a veil falling off your eyes and you are able to see again.

Nobbynumbnuts
16-08-2015, 00:03
.....Also, there is plenty of corruption in western countries that takes many forms. Some index rating doesn't mean much.

..of course Russia doesn't have a monopoly on corruption. No need to state the bloody obvious.
But you are making excuses for your government (if you are Russian). Instead of saying there is corruption everywhere you should be asking for it to be tackled! And if you think the level of corruption in Russia is on a level with the EU, you're delusional!

People like you are the reason that corruption is an everyday reality for Russians and the Russian government survives in it's present form...

penka
16-08-2015, 00:09
You haven't answered my questions. However, to answer yours - sometimes suffering is indeed needed, to purify the thoughts and to amend the actions... Besides, it is not really what I wish, it is what is really happening. You can compare it with an alcoholic who denies his illness - it is impossible to stop his suffering, so I am just trying to snatch the vodka bottle from his hands - even though he will suffer more without it, he will end up being healthier later.
I am just eyeballing the reality unfold... Back in 2008, I was brainwashed and under the influence of the powerful propaganda - I was critical about many things even back then though. It is like a veil falling off your eyes and you are able to see again.

Redeem. Amen.

Reality unfolds absolutely everywhere, and somehow, crowds of Romanian gypsies whom I must call "roma" for the politically correct reasons, camping around my building or the two locals, knifed by the Eritrean (oops, was not supposed to mention the nationality) immigrant-wannabe, indicate it is not a completely brilliant reality. I believe, the inhabitants of Kos would agree with me very warmly at this momentum in time:)

Just unlike you, I do not think, absolutely everything sucks in RF.

Russian Lad
16-08-2015, 00:15
Redeem. Amen.

Reality unfolds absolutely everywhere, and somehow, crowds of Romanian gypsies whom I must call "roma" for the politically correct reasons, camping around my building or the two locals, knifed by the Eritrean (oops, was not supposed to mention the nationality) immigrant-wannabe, indicate it is not a completely brilliant reality. I believe, the inhabitants of Kos would agree with me very warmly at this momentum in time:)

I don't understand your point - people get stabbed to death in Russia every day, many of such deaths - from immigrants. Have I ever said Europe is paradise and nothing bad happens there? Why is there a constant need to shift/to divert attention in order to try to defend your position? This whataboutism is risible. Besides, even you seem to prefer living in Europe.

I don't think everything sucks here, there are some agreeable things. For instance, women are way more ugly in Finland or in Denmark, by and large. They are ok in Sweden, by the way, I was stuck in the airport in Stockholm once and had two hours to check them out.:)

Uncle Wally
16-08-2015, 01:43
It sucks and is great, the best all at the same time.

Carl
16-08-2015, 09:34
But you are making excuses for your government (if you are Russian). Instead of saying there is corruption everywhere you should be asking for it to be tackled! And if you think the level of corruption in Russia is on a level with the EU, you're delusional!

People like you are the reason that corruption is an everyday reality for Russians and the Russian government survives in it's present form...

Why is it so easily tolerated?! Is it a genetic thing?...:confused:

https://video-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpt1/v/t42.1790-2/11871343_491913654316245_166569981_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjQxMCwicmxhIjoxMzE5fQ%3D%3D&rl=410&vabr=228&oh=dd77186e91ffac093740bec62711566d&oe=55D05019

Nobbynumbnuts
16-08-2015, 10:22

https://video-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpt1/v/t42.1790-2/11871343_491913654316245_166569981_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjQxMCwicmxhIjoxMzE5fQ%3D%3D&rl=410&vabr=228&oh=dd77186e91ffac093740bec62711566d&oe=55D05019

I don't really know myself. Perhaps it's just excepted as part of everyday life, by Russians. I think fear has something to do with it. Best not speak out and oppose the current system for fear of becoming a target and being severely punished. Is that a historical thing with Russians that dates back to CCCP times? Is that why they are so apolitical too? It's the best i can come up with..

Russian Lad
16-08-2015, 15:24
I don't really know myself. Perhaps it's just excepted as part of everyday life, by Russians. I think fear has something to do with it. Best not speak out and oppose the current system for fear of becoming a target and being severely punished. Is that a historical thing with Russians that dates back to CCCP times? Is that why they are so apolitical too? It's the best i can come up with..

The deeply rooted slave mentality and the desire to rely on the state for all the problems solution. I had to purge it in myself for years in a row, not kidding you.
As to them being apolitical, it has been dished out by the state-controlled tv for the last 15 years, the message being: getting interested too much in politics is stupid, you don't decide anything anyway, work-work-work, don't ask too many questions, you can see quite well that wonderful things are being done on your behalf and for you anyway, and there is absolutely no alternative. The consensus being an exchange of political freedom for "stability". Well, the "stability" is over. The consensus has been breached. What now?:)

FatAndy
16-08-2015, 17:50
Envy again? ;)

Carl
16-08-2015, 18:18
Envy again? ;)

Childish, irrelevant and off topic. Should be moved to the 'Asinine folder', or deleted.
Where are the mods..? It is telling how the sites humorist can only deflect, deny or laugh off any hint of criticism or argument of the current situation.. Oh,..found it: :bird:

Russian Lad
16-08-2015, 20:19
Where are the mods..?

I have been wondering about that for over a year now. :confused::party:

FatAndy
17-08-2015, 09:54
Childish, irrelevant and off topic.:bird:
Self-criticism is a good thing :)

TolkoRaz
17-08-2015, 10:48
Childish, irrelevant and off topic. Should be moved to the 'Asinine folder', or deleted.
Where are the mods..? It is telling how the sites humorist can only deflect, deny or laugh off any hint of criticism or argument of the current situation.. Oh,..found it: :bird:

Is that a world changing issue? Try not to lose any sleep over it! ;)

nicklcool
18-08-2015, 03:05

Hey Carl, the amount of time I have orhave not spent in Russia neither adds nor detracts from my statements. Or do you only believe the world is round not flat when you see it with your own eyes?
What's impressive is that you cannot see thtough this article and the biased agenda holding blogger's posts for the cheap weak hit pieces that they are...
Moscow government overspends (never seen a government do THAT before!) on beautification and renovation projects, annoys local residents. Move along...

nicklcool
18-08-2015, 03:10
It would make sense to fix things like roads and pavements in recession if the government is hoping that their plans on increased infrastructure spending will stimulate the economy. Only problem is with Russia being ranked 136th most corrupt country in the world (from 175) how much of that additional spending is having a real impact and going where it's needed
True Nobby, but wouldn't you agree that the journalist and blogger sound desparate to make their point, inflating the import of all of it? Like most Western hit pieces on Russia, I might add. I mean they point out that London, a Western hegemon that countries like RF and the Former Soviet Union can only grovel at the feet of, spent $4k per bike. Whereas RF spent $6k

nicklcool
18-08-2015, 03:30

Why is what tolerated so easily, Carl? Spending $2k more per bike than London? When Moscow is putting out bikes planting trees and laying groundstones that must withstand a much harsher winter that lasts almost half the year? Both you the beastly blogger and the hitjob MoscowTimes journalists are desparately strectching to make these renovation and beautification projects fit your 'Russia is Revoltingly Corrupt' meme.
And I'm not outright denying that corruption could be at play here, Nobby makes a great point. But the extent to which you all will go to try to make Russia look bad is pathetic. Good Lord, at least Moscow's shovel ready jobs got some materials purchased for the citizenry, rather than blow all the money on overpriced public sector union labor.

Russian Lad
18-08-2015, 04:28
Why is what tolerated so easily, Carl? Spending $2k more per bike than London? When Moscow is putting out bikes planting trees and laying groundstones that must withstand a much harsher winter that lasts almost half the year? Both you the beastly blogger and the hitjob MoscowTimes journalists are desparately strectching to make these renovation and beautification projects fit your 'Russia is Revoltingly Corrupt' meme.
And I'm not outright denying that corruption could be at play here, Nobby makes a great point. But the extent to which you all will go to try to make Russia look bad is pathetic. Good Lord, at least Moscow's shovel ready jobs got some materials purchased for the citizenry, rather than blow all the money on overpriced public sector union labor.

Nice. So, how much are you paid per post here? In all honesty, you don't sound like a real person. I am asking because maybe I need pocket cash to weather the coming ruthless economic storm this winter here in Russia. Wouldn't you adore to have me on your team of pro-government trolls?:) I may be an asset, let's twist the reality together.:party:

nicklcool
18-08-2015, 05:01
Nice. So, how much are you paid per post here? In all honesty, you don't sound like a real person.

Even nicer. How much do Soros and the others pay anti-Russian government trolls such as yourself? ;) In all honesty, are you ever able to debate a topic on its merits? Or did you call me a troll because you must concede that the expenditures could be reasonable ones given the harsh climate and desire to beautify the city?

Judge
18-08-2015, 06:36

Some people are just bitter, even when there is renovation going on they will still complain,These past few days I've been doing all the touristy things in this city, and it really is a wonderful city,I've visited place that I've not seen in years and they are really well kept, lots of stunning places, let the renovation of Moscow continue,there's no pleasing all, some people just like to bitch and whine ..

Just like to add, I've seen with my own eyes the works going on, and it's nothing different from any other country, of course there's going to be mess and difficulties for people to get around but at the end it will be even better.

Nice. So, how much are you paid per post here? In all honesty, you don't sound like a real person. I am asking because maybe I need pocket cash to weather the coming ruthless economic storm this winter here in Russia. Wouldn't you adore to have me on your team of pro-government trolls?:) I may be an asset, let's twist the reality together.:party:

Nothing else to add just call ppl trolls.
Friendly advice, maybe get yourself a better paid job .

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 12:40
My friend Carlos from Columbia kept telling me how nice Moscow is, how clean and beautiful with all the trees and parks.

Judge
18-08-2015, 12:44
My friend Carlos from Columbia kept telling me how nice Moscow is, how clean and beautiful with all the trees and parks.

First time in over a decade I've visted Gorky Park, and the walk to sparrow hill is stunning,even more so by boat, through the" not boring park",clean, tidy, all looked after,so much to see and do,you take it all for granted when you live here.

@Nick, don't believe a word I'm saying, I'm just an underpaid ugly troll who hasn't lived in Moscow/Russia for years. :dizzy:

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 12:55
First time in over a decade I've visted Gorky Park, and the walk to sparrow hill is stunning,even more so by boat, through the" not boring park",clean, tidy, all looked after,so much to see and do,you take it all for granted when you live here.

Was there last weekend with the girlfriend but we took the tollybus 17 from Kievskaya and walked along the river then up to MGU.

I took Carlos last week and sat by the river for a couple of hours then walked back to GP. He said it was his favorite place and started going every morning. He also told me when he got here he would be only for three or four days, he ended up spending two weeks and will come back after a few days in St Pete.

Russian Lad
18-08-2015, 14:55
Even nicer. How much do Soros and the others pay anti-Russian government trolls such as yourself?

Well, you don't sound real, that's all. Me and Soros? Would I be asking for a troll job if I was happily employed as such?

Some people are just bitter, even when there is renovation going on they will still complain,These past few days I've been doing all the touristy things in this city, and it really is a wonderful city,I've visited place that I've not seen in years and they are really well kept, lots of stunning places, let the renovation of Moscow continue,there's no pleasing all, some people just like to bitch and whine ..

As to Moscow - renovations, beautiful, blah-blah-blah - I said it already, I can repeat it for those in the tank - 80%+ of the Russian money is in Moscow, so I would be expecting much more - rubies and diamonds on the roads, all houses painted with real gold, fountains with champaigne and chocolate rivers with marshmallow banks and every Moscovite driving a Ferrari, an Aston Martin or a Bugatti - seriously.

Friendly advice, maybe get yourself a better paid job .

That's what I am trying to do, I wanna be working in the same office with Nick, typing away and posting stuff. Don't I qualify?:) Come on, guys, that's a chance for all of us - I will finally be able to afford meat and vegetables every day, you will get to improve your propaganda level (it is crumbling around the edges now, Wally and Nick aren't doing a sterling job, let's be frank about it).

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 15:09
Well, you don't sound real, that's all. Me and Soros? Would I be asking for a troll job if I was happily employed as such?
As to Moscow - renovations, beautiful, blah-blah-blah - I said it already, I can repeat it for those in the tank - 80%+ of the Russian money is in Moscow, so I would be expecting much more - rubies and diamonds on the roads, all houses painted with real gold, fountains with champaigne and chocolate rivers with marshmallow banks and every Moscovite driving a Ferrari, an Aston Martin or a Bugatti - seriously.

That's what I am trying to do, I wanna be working in the same office with Nick, typing away stuff. Don't I qualify?:)

Don't you sound bitter. Seems to me you are already working for the USofA.

Russian Lad
18-08-2015, 15:13
I wish I was, Wally, I would never ask the Cool Nick for the troll employment if I was.:( So, nobody wants to hire me?:( Come on, I am even ready to make your morning coffee as your apprentice, Cool Nick. Your boots will be always polished too. Give me a chance.

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 15:48
I wish I was, Wally, I would never ask the Cool Nick for the troll employment if I was.:( So, nobody wants to hire me?:( Come on, I am even ready to make your morning coffee as your apprentice, Cool Nick. Your boots will be always polished too. Give me a chance.

I assure you that I do not work for the Russian government. You, fenrir and the rest use that as a lame excuse for why anyone would be happy in Russia. Find a new job if you're unhappy the others can just go home if they think it's so much better. In fact there was one on another site that said he would be going back to the US in one year but he's still here. Why? Doesn't he want to work at WalMart or in a fast-food joint like most other Americans?

Armoured
18-08-2015, 15:57
When Moscow is putting out bikes planting trees and laying groundstones that must withstand a much harsher winter that lasts almost half the year? ...
And I'm not outright denying that corruption could be at play here, Nobby makes a great point.

I think it's great they're improving things, some areas it's ended up looking great.

But I no longer believe the 'we're laying newer, better stuff that will last longer' line - I've seen some of these areas remonted four or five times in a row, once every couple of years, in some cases two years in a row. Plus the coincidence of pushing for these projects at massive expense and inconvenience just before some show-off holiday...

It is reasonable for residents to ask how much all this cost and whether it's being done with due regard for cost, inconvenience, hassle, etc.

That said, I haven't read the articles linked to.

Russian Lad
18-08-2015, 16:45
You, fenrir and the rest use that as a lame excuse for why anyone would be happy in Russia.

Have I ever claimed everyone is unhappy in Russia? Peskov, the secretary of Putin, is very happy, for instance. He has a 600K dollars watch, a beautiful wife and is now enjoying his honeymoon on a yaught whose weekly rent costs his 3 years salary (at least that info is in the news).:) Probably I should envy in silence, but I don't think it is right and correct (if this news is true), in the country with 20 million russkies below the poverty line.:)

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 17:05
I wish they would pick up all the heroin syringes at the bus stops!!!! Hazard for children.

Carl
18-08-2015, 17:23
Have I ever claimed anyone is unhappy in Russia? Peskov, the secretary of Putin, is very happy, for instance. He has a 600K dollars watch, a beautiful wife and is now enjoying his honeymoon on a yaught whose weekly rent costs his 3 years salary (at least that info is in the news).:) Probably I should envy in silence, but I don't think it is right and correct (if this news is true), in the country with 20 million russkies below the poverty line.:)

..And queue Fat Andy's Envy post in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

Fantastika
18-08-2015, 17:42
I wish they would pick up all the heroin syringes at the bus stops!!!! Hazard for children.

They shoot heroin at bus stops? Heroin addicts would leave the warm apartment and sit at a cold and public bus stop, so they can get high, while everyone is looking at them. Sure, right.

The needles are from hospitals. When you get a flu vaccine, for example, the medic in the hospital just hands you the needle, and you leave the hospital and inject yourself. Then you throw the syringe away. Most people would throw it into the trash can, but the less civic-minded...

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 17:45
Have I ever claimed everyone is unhappy in Russia? Peskov, the secretary of Putin, is very happy, for instance. He has a 600K dollars watch, a beautiful wife and is now enjoying his honeymoon on a yaught whose weekly rent costs his 3 years salary (at least that info is in the news).:) Probably I should envy in silence, but I don't think it is right and correct (if this news is true), in the country with 20 million russkies below the poverty line.:)

Don't you see that it goes on in almost every country. Politicians in America are flying around on their friends private jets staying at private homes and getting a million dollars for speaking.

Russian Lad
18-08-2015, 17:50
Don't you see that it goes on in almost every country. Politicians in America are flying around on their friends private jets staying at private homes and getting a million dollars for speaking.

The last time I checked Obama's watch was worth 300 dollars. But even if what you claim was true, it would be an attempt to justify one wrong by another wrong - a lame and intrinsically faulty practice. Besides, I am a Russian who lives in Russia, I don't care where the Americans stand regarding that in their own country.

They shoot heroin at bus stops? Heroin addicts would leave the warm apartment and sit at a cold and public bus stop, so they can get high, while everyone is looking at them. Sure, right.

Bus stops are not exactly cold during the summer time in Russia. And I assume many of them live with their relatives who don't exactly approve their habits, so many don't do it at home.

nicklcool
18-08-2015, 17:54

RL, yes, as Wally said there are plenty of retail jobs here in the USSA. You could also get a 'work and travel' summer job being a lifeguard or boardwalk worker at the beach, then just overstay your visa, as so many do. In fact RL even yough you're in your mid 40s you MIGHT still qualify for Pres Obama's DACA program!

But in any case, our discussions always devolve to this, RL there are so many opportunities, even within Russia, but so long as you're focused on blaming external circumstances, you'll never make any progress. One of tge biggest things Russiahas going for it is the income tax policy! Flat rate, it's not so high as to be confiscatory, and the business tax rate is well below USSA's 40%! mmmmmm doesn't that taste good?

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 17:55

Why do we ask America to stop protecting the poppy fields of Afghanistan and that would cut down on addicts here and in the states. Number one cause of death in America is now heroin overdose.

Russian Lad
18-08-2015, 17:56
But in any case, our discussions always devolve to this, RL there are so many opportunities, even within Russia, but so long as you're focused on blaming external circumstances, you'll never make any progress.

My progesss suits me just fine, better worry about your own while sipping that Starbucks lukewarm coffee after your daily stint in the office.:) What you quoted was sarcasm, in case you didn't understand.

One of tge biggest things Russiahas going for it is the income tax policy! Flat rate, it's not so high as to be confiscatory, and the business tax rate is well below USSA's 40%! mmmmmm doesn't that taste good?

Come and taste it yourself, I don't know. 20 million Russians are below the poverty line and over 60% don't have any savings - something might be wrong in your exalted picture.:)

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 17:58
Nonsense, They are shooting dope watch them everyday especially at night. Been going on for years and years and years.

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 17:59
RL, yes, as Wally said there are plenty of retail jobs here in the USSA. You could also get a 'work and travel' summer job being a lifeguard or boardwalk worker at the beach, then just overstay your visa, as so many do. In fact RL even yough you're in your mid 40s you MIGHT still qualify for Pres Obama's DACA program!

But in any case, our discussions always devolve to this, RL there are so many opportunities, even within Russia, but so long as you're focused on blaming external circumstances, you'll never make any progress. One of tge biggest things Russiahas going for it is the income tax policy! Flat rate, it's not so high as to be confiscatory, and the business tax rate is well below USSA's 40%! mmmmmm doesn't that taste good?

I think his attitude comes from Soviet times. If he had money he could set up a shop or import something. We only have ourselves to blame.

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 18:01
Nonsense, They are shooting dope watch them everyday especially at night. Been going on for years and years and years.

Why don't you call the cops then? Or tell them to stop?

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 18:15
Come on tell junkies too stop. Is the same as standing in front of a 90 mile an hour freight train. No big deal just worry about small children. They tend to pick things up. Had to smack a few kids playing with syringes. Whole point being money could be spent on better things.

Alan65
18-08-2015, 18:38
What makes you think it is heroin, it maybe Krok.

Carl
18-08-2015, 18:47
Number one cause of death in America is now heroin overdose.

Let's fact check Willy...again. WRONG..again. (these are the kinds of drivel one posts when being paid per post..)
Leading cause of death in the US currently..
1 Heart disease
2 Cancer (malignant neoplasms)
3 Chronic lower respiratory disease
4 Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases)
5 Accidents (unintentional injuries)
6 Alzheimer's disease
7 Diabetes (diabetes mellitus)
8 Influenza and pneumonia
9 Kidney disease (nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis)
10 Suicide (intentional self-harm).

Fantastika
18-08-2015, 18:48
It's easy for the visiting American to assume scattered needles around a bus stop are evidence of heroin addicts. I too jumped to that conclusion, until my friend pointed out the nearby hospital. I once went there to get a flu shot, and whined and complained when I found out I was supposed to inject myself. Finally I found an exasperated doctor to give me the injection. On the way out, I noticed more needles scattered on the ground near the front door of the hospital. There may be heroin addicts in the big city, but I never noticed any in the smaller cities where I stayed. A real heroin addict is easy to spot, when he's loaded up or straight, by the tracks and by his attitude. With the panorama of psychotropic drugs available today, I doubt many people go for old-fashioned heroin, or that those that do, use a needle, rather than snort or swallow.

Fantastika
18-08-2015, 18:50
Why don't you call the cops then? Or tell them to stop?

He's like Russian Lad - complain about everything, but let someone else fix things.

Fantastika
18-08-2015, 18:51
Let's fact check Willy...again. WRONG..again. (these are the kinds of drivel one posts when being paid per post..)
1 Heart disease
6 Alzheimer's disease

Didn't you leave out murder? I'm pretty sure there are more murders than suicides. Unless that's included in "accidents."

Nobbynumbnuts
18-08-2015, 19:05
1 Heart disease
6 Alzheimer's disease

Number one cause of death in America is heroin overdose?? If Wally had a brain he'd be dangerous! lol :big-grin: So easy to check info like that before posting..

I came up with similar results to you:-

Heart disease: 611,105
Cancer: 584,881
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 149,205
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 130,557
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,978
Alzheimer's disease: 84,767
Diabetes: 75,578
Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,979
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 47,112
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 41,149

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 19:07
1 Heart disease
6 Alzheimer's disease

I should have said accidentally deaths.

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 19:09
It's easy for the visiting American to assume scattered needles around a bus stop are evidence of heroin addicts. I too jumped to that conclusion, until my friend pointed out the nearby hospital. I once went there to get a flu shot, and whined and complained when I found out I was supposed to inject myself. Finally I found an exasperated doctor to give me the injection. On the way out, I noticed more needles scattered on the ground near the front door of the hospital. There may be heroin addicts in the big city, but I never noticed any in the smaller cities where I stayed. A real heroin addict is easy to spot, when he's loaded up or straight, by the tracks and by his attitude. With the panorama of psychotropic drugs available today, I doubt many people go for old-fashioned heroin, or that those that do, use a needle, rather than snort or swallow.

Visiting American? Have residence here and have purchased a number of flats over the last 15 years. You are going to tell me what I see? Wake up Heroine is a major epidemic all over the world.

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 19:18
My whole point is there are too many syringes around the bus stops. It needs to be cleaned up. Flue junkies etc... Looking out for children that is all. Money spent on granite is a pure waste at the moment.

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 19:20
What makes you think it is heroin, it maybe Krok.

you smoke crack

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 19:28
Number one cause of death in America is heroin overdose?? If Wally had a brain he'd be dangerous! lol :big-grin: So easy to check info like that before posting..

I came up with similar results to you:-

Heart disease: 611,105
Cancer: 584,881
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 149,205
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 130,557
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,978
Alzheimer's disease: 84,767
Diabetes: 75,578
Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,979
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 47,112
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 41,149

Why do you have to put in some kind of insult in everyone of your post.

There is a big problem with heroin in the US and Obama is addressing this now. All your figures are from what year?

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 19:29
you smoke crack

There are other drugs that can be injected and Kroc is one of them.

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 19:36
yes it is when you speed ball. Not looking to argue.

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 19:36
Didn't you leave out murder? I'm pretty sure there are more murders than suicides. Unless that's included in "accidents."

I think they include that in gun deaths which would include suicide and accidents.

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 19:39
yes it is when you speed ball. Not looking to argue.

No it's a different drug altogether, a very nasty drug that you can make at home and is very cheap. It called krokidilla or something like that.

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 19:41
I like Kavas on the street in Moscow nothing better on a hot day!!!!! Fill up a jug.!!!

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 19:52
No it's a different drug altogether, a very nasty drug that you can make at home and is very cheap. It called krokidilla or something like that.

What the hell is that? Herbs that sort of thing?

vossy7
18-08-2015, 19:54
Have I veered of life's highway into a dark and drug filled place....Breaking Bad now appears to be good :smoking:

Russian Lad
18-08-2015, 20:01
Wally, has been wrong again? Oh my.

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 20:17
Just something I found on the subject
.http://time.com/3398086/the-worlds-deadliest-drug-inside-a-krokodil-cookhouse/

Fantastika
18-08-2015, 20:47
Visiting American? Have residence here and have purchased a number of flats over the last 15 years. You are going to tell me what I see? Wake up Heroine is a major epidemic all over the world.

At least spell it correctly, then maybe you might have some credibility.

Fantastika
18-08-2015, 20:49
You actually saw, from 200-300 feet away,the needle, which is a few inches long and 1/4" thick, and in the dark, too, through trees, you actually saw them shooting up? And how did you know it was heroin, not something else? Needle freaks can shoot up anything from pickle juice to peanut butter.

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 21:24
Just something I found on the subject
.http://time.com/3398086/the-worlds-deadliest-drug-inside-a-krokodil-cookhouse/

Yeah that's the one. This is why they pulled all the Panadol extra off the shelf.

Uncle Wally
18-08-2015, 21:27
Wally, has been wrong again? Oh my.

About what? What am I wrong again about?

TolkoRaz
18-08-2015, 21:44
I like Kavas on the street in Moscow nothing better on a hot day!!!!! Fill up a jug.!!!

I think you mean Kvass (квас)!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvass

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 22:47

My God what ever sharp shooter. Amazing a man like you cannot tell the difference between Spanish and Mid Eastern dialect. Let alone pay for it.

TolkoRaz
18-08-2015, 22:48
My God what ever sharp shooter. Amazing a man like you cannot tell the difference between Spanish and Mid Eastern dialect. Let alone pay for it.

:D You might be surprised! ;)

zzhhst
18-08-2015, 22:48
You actually saw, from 200-300 feet away,the needle, which is a few inches long and 1/4" thick, and in the dark, too, through trees, you actually saw them shooting up? And how did you know it was heroin, not something else? Needle freaks can shoot up anything from pickle juice to peanut butter.

You are smart but in many ways a fool!!!!

AstarD
18-08-2015, 23:12
I should have said accidentally deaths.
And you still would have been wrong.

TolkoRaz
18-08-2015, 23:12
You are smart but in many ways a fool!!!!

There is no fool in this world who does not believe that she is a wise woman! :book:

nicklcool
18-08-2015, 23:38
My progesss suits me just fine, better worry about your own while sipping that Starbucks lukewarm coffee after your daily stint in the office.:) What you quoted was sarcasm, in case you didn't understand.

Come and taste it yourself, I don't know. 20 million Russians are below the poverty line and over 60% don't have any savings - something might be wrong in your exalted picture.:)

RL, projecting much? :yawn2:

The 20 million Russians, this is sad, but as Russia continues moving towards capitalism, it's well-known that people can fluctuate between income brackets throughout their lives. In fact all the USA MSM outlets are reporting about how the 'recovery' from the Great Recession has carried on much longer than recoveries have historically, maybe Russia is ahead on the curve here as well? :rainning:

But on corruption and government misspending (the OP), I've come to the conclusion that taxation is the single-most liberty-influencing factor for the vast majority of people. Taxation takes our money, money which we earned wasting our time health and energy, and in this way taxation affects our liberty in the purest way - it robs us of our time, our most limited resource.

So, it may sound unwise to leave the shiny USSA, where money grows on trees (LOL!), for RF, where people miserably live in abject poverty as their corrupt leaders sip Dom Perignon (double LOL!). But if you look at things thorough the lens of taxation, and the level of future taxation needed to support future government spending, no, it's not unwise at all. :goodbye:

Fantastika
19-08-2015, 00:07
RL, projecting much? :yawn2:

The 20 million Russians, this is sad, but as Russia continues moving towards capitalism, it's well-known that people can fluctuate between income brackets throughout their lives. In fact all the USA MSM outlets are reporting about how the 'recovery' from the Great Recession has carried on much longer than recoveries have historically, maybe Russia is ahead on the curve here as well? :rainning:

But on corruption and government misspending (the OP), I've come to the conclusion that taxation is the single-most liberty-influencing factor for the vast majority of people. Taxation takes our money, money which we earned wasting our time health and energy, and in this way taxation affects our liberty in the purest way - it robs us of our time, our most limited resource.

So, it may sound unwise to leave the shiny USSA, where money grows on trees (LOL!), for RF, where people miserably live in abject poverty as their corrupt leaders sip Dom Perignon (double LOL!). But if you look at things thorough the lens of taxation, and the level of future taxation needed to support future government spending, no, it's not unwise at all. :goodbye:

Nick are you moving to Russia? Take my advice, DON'T move to St. Petersburg. RL can give you a thousand reasons not to. :) Nor Moscow, unless you were born with silver spoon in the mouth. :) Any other city is probably much better choice.

Fantastika
19-08-2015, 00:11

I have a big bottle of квас I got at a Russian store in Kansas City. I was saving it for special occasion, which might be, I think, next month, when I sign a contract for a new house. It's been in the refrigerator for a year or so.

Wonder if it's still good?

zzhhst
19-08-2015, 00:19
Its bad after 6 weeks. If it is real!!!Stop the English protocol you are online for Christ sake.

zzhhst
19-08-2015, 00:51

WOW!!!!!!

zzhhst
19-08-2015, 02:03
WOW!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGpGQYbOzg8&list=PLF7835E898F674D8C&index=6

zzhhst
19-08-2015, 02:48
never works. Unless you get it in the stomach 3 cm syringe lower abs before im corrected and 7 injections. For rabies tell me now????? Tell me dear please please tell me what I see??????????????

Fantastika
19-08-2015, 07:40
Somebody please call zzhhst's doctor! :)

Ten Years After, their best song was "I'm Going Home" :)

Boogie woogie on steroids!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW5M5xljdCI

fenrir
19-08-2015, 09:16
One of tge biggest things Russiahas going for it is the income tax policy! Flat rate, it's not so high as to be confiscatory, and the business tax rate is well below USSA's 40%! mmmmmm doesn't that taste good?

I think you have forgotten about the social tax. What is it these days? 33%, 34%?

tonytony
19-08-2015, 12:08
I think you have forgotten about the social tax. What is it these days? 33%, 34%?

And I think that you have forgotten that this is payable by the employer - it is not deducted from the employee's wages.

It is similar to employer's NI in the UK

nicklcool
19-08-2015, 14:00

You're right, I forgot that one; it's high. But then again it too is paid by the employer. So when RL is quoting those $1500 median or mean salaries for Russians, it's apples and oranges to compare that tonthe USA since your $35 or $40k annual salary is a pre tax rate. $35k after tax will amount to about $1800 monthly for a married couple, no children.

Some other interesting facts: corporate tax rate IS half of USA's at 20%, VAT is quite high but ispaid by the importers (guess that's why goods are so damn expensive!), interest earned on bank accounts isn't taxed, lotto winnings are taxed similarly to the USA, and personal income tax payers actually can claim deductions (I had no idea): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Code_of_Russia

Russian Lad
19-08-2015, 14:17
You're right, I forgot that one; it's high. But then again it too is paid by the employer. So when RL is quoting those $1500 median or mean salaries for Russians, it's apples and oranges to compare that tonthe USA since your $35 or $40k annual salary is a pre tax rate. $35k after tax will amount to about $1800 monthly for a married couple, no children.

Some other interesting facts: corporate tax rate IS half of USA's at 20%, VAT is quite high but ispaid by the importers (guess that's why goods are so damn expensive!), interest earned on bank accounts isn't taxed, lotto winnings are taxed similarly to the USA, and personal income tax payers actually can claim deductions (I had no idea): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Code_of_Russia

Me quoting the median Russian salary of 96000 rubles??????? Once again, you don't sound like a real person. No one can be that (add an adjective).

AstarD
19-08-2015, 14:53

Some other interesting facts: corporate tax rate IS half of USA's at 20%, VAT is quite high but ispaid by the importers (guess that's why goods are so damn expensive!), interest earned on bank accounts isn't taxed, lotto winnings are taxed similarly to the USA, and personal income tax payers actually can claim deductions (I had no idea): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Code_of_RussiaSince when is the median salary in Russia 100,000 rubles?

http://bs-life.ru/rabota/zarplata/srednyaya2015.html

fenrir
19-08-2015, 15:48

The employer pays the social tax, but then offers workers a lower salary than they would otherwise to compensate for it. Most couples have children, so their income would be higher.

Carl
19-08-2015, 16:21
So when RL is quoting those $1500 median or mean salaries for Russians,......

Holy Crap Man...! You certainly are out of touch!!
That's right nicklcool.. move right on over to Russia. She's waiting with open arms and a fine paying job!!
(you really are one funny dude!)

Fantastika
19-08-2015, 17:02

There is also a tax choice you can make as individual + business - similar to S-Corp in US. Another good idea by VVP and his team. Many people in Russia choose this option.

If it's difficult to get through tax laws, and if you have a small business with a couple of employees, just hire an accountant who will do the monthly and quarterly paperwork for small fee.

nicklcool
19-08-2015, 17:03
Holy Crap Man...! You certainly are out of touch!!
That's right nicklcool.. move right on over to Russia. She's waiting with open arms and a fine paying job!!
(you really are one funny dude!)

Please take a longterm view, naysayers....no wonder so few people invest, they're chicken-littles looking for a regular paycheck for security as incredible opportunity passes them by.

At the pre-sanctions exchange rate $1500 was about 42000 rubles monthly, is that so far off from reality? If you cannot earn that much monthly in Russia, you're essentially: not trying hard enough, don't market your skills properly, slept through all your courses at University, or choose to live in a non-metropolitan area where supply/demand for employees puts downward pressure on wages. And before the doomsdayers squeal that my 42k is off by 10K or so, lets also remember how much lower cost of living is in Russia vs. the "West." In fact all your 'sky is falling' nonsense helped me realize another bonus the young Russians have: they're not paying off school loans ten months after graduations as the American young people are. So that's another couple hundred a month less in living expenses that the Russian millennials have going for them. :cool:

Russian Lad
19-08-2015, 17:27
There is also a tax choice you can make as individual

Like 99% of the companies here in Russia pay all the taxes for the employees, the social ones + this 13% tax. So, there is NO CHOICE.

At the pre-sanctions exchange rate $1500 was about 42000 rubles monthly, is that so far off from reality?

I remember the days when 1 dollar cost 6 rubles, so what?????? You claimed that today the Russian median salary is USD 1500. Any normal person would at least agree he made a mistake due to his ignorance. You just keep saying some stupid stuff. I mean, you have lost all the 0.00001% credibility you might have had, now you sound like a (add an adjective).
And in March 2014, when the first sanctions were implemented, the dollar cost 35 rubles. 35x1500=52500 rubles, so even your 42K rubles number is wrong. You just keep pulling numbers out of thin air like a little kid doing rather poorly at school.

nicklcool
19-08-2015, 17:52
Like 99% of the companies here in Russia pay all the taxes for the employees, the social ones + this 13% tax. So, there is NO CHOICE.

I remember the days when 1 dollar cost 6 rubles, so what?????? You claimed that today the Russian median salary is USD 1500. Any normal person would at least agree he made a mistake due to his ignorance. You just keep saying some stupid stuff. I mean, you have lost all the 0.00001% credibility you might have had, now you sound like a (add an adjective).
And in March 2014, when the first sanctions were implemented, the dollar cost 35 rubles. 35x1500=52500 rubles, so even your 42K rubles number is wrong. You just keep pulling numbers out of thin air like a little kid doing rather poorly at school.

OK, so at 32 rubles per $ then, $1500 was a 48K ruble monthly salary, whereas I used 28 rubles for the rate. :yawn2:
...When you describe the plight of the modern Russian, are you looking at educated white collar middle class Russians? I feel like you're choosing the Russian equivalent of the American who's only high-school educated, collecting unemployment and foodstamps, and working in retail as your standard-bearer - that's disingenuous.

Bitter, bitter, bitter, blame, blame, complain, complain, complain.

"Убеждения, это самореализирующие пророчество"

--Ковалёв

"Convictions are self-realizing prophecies"

--Kovalyov

Russian Lad
19-08-2015, 18:07
I don't think I will ever talk to you here. You make no sense. Just some adolescent gibberish. Below any acceptable standards I can imagine, even Wally sounds like a knowledgeable savant in comparison (on occasions).:)

AstarD
19-08-2015, 18:16
Nick must think Moscow IS Russia.

Fantastika
19-08-2015, 18:25
Please take a longterm view, naysayers....no wonder so few people invest, they're chicken-littles looking for a regular paycheck for security as incredible opportunity passes them by.
In fact all your 'sky is falling' nonsense helped me realize another bonus the young Russians have: they're not paying off school loans ten months after graduations as the American young people are. So that's another couple hundred a month less in living expenses that the Russian millennials have going for them. :cool:

Ten months? How about ten years! Indentured servitude. :)

Dave Ramsey show has an everyday litany of these student debt horror stories. Hillary's Grand Plan is a $350,000,000,000 gift from her Highness to pay off all these student debts - of course, her Grand Plan is a street-corner shell game. She would just be moving the debt from one group of people to another group of people + plus pay a few buildings-full of bureaucrats to regulate and micromanage.

Total student loan debt is $1.2 trillion. Illegal immigrants get in-state (discount) or free tuition, compounding the problem.

The whole college-university system is becoming a giant scam, everyone from professors who work 3 hours a week getting $200,000 a year, to students told they have to get a university degree agreeing to pay $40,000/year in tuition, and putting themselves into a lifetime of debt. Everyone is using OPM (Other People's Money).

Fantastika
19-08-2015, 18:27
Nick must think Moscow IS Russia.

Exactly. Moscow is not Russia, and NYC is not America.

nicklcool
19-08-2015, 18:41
Censorship is your right, RL, but you could also choose to call me a troll yet continue the debate.

There is no gibberish here, just interesting debate of the facts. We won't debate the facts of the Russian Economic situation here, there's another thread for this.
If you decide to talk to me again RL, why are you so hung up on the typical salary being 38k vs. 42k vs. 48k?

The 32K average monthly salary figure mentioned in AstarD's article (http://bs-life.ru/rabota/zarplata/srednyaya2015.html) would be $1000 pre-sanctions and $581.81 post, the 38.6k for Moscow oblast is $1206.25 pre-sanctions, and the 60.8k for Moscow itself is $1900 pre-sanctions. Remember, that's a salary that's after-tax (= "take home pay"), medical expenses are mostly free, no student loan debt, utilities are quite cheap, many Russians have no mortgage expenses thanks to inheriting free Soviet-era housing from family, etc.

AstarD, Moscow is not the entirety of Russia, but it's also not VVP's fault that salaries are higher in metropolitan areas vs. other areas. That's common to like every single country in the world: people who live far from cities in general earn less and in general cost of living is also less.

RL, feel free to ignore me, but remember, you're entitled to your opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts!

AstarD
19-08-2015, 18:56
But Nick, housing is the only thing that's more expensive in Moscow and big cities. EVERYTHING ELSE costs the same--or more. So those pitifully low salaries of 15K-30K rubles are just plain LOW. Why do you keep talking about "pre-sanction" salaries, anyway? Russians have been and still are paid in rubles. Goods and services are priced in rubles.

nicklcool
19-08-2015, 21:55
But Nick, housing is the only thing that's more expensive in Moscow and big cities. EVERYTHING ELSE costs the same--or more. So those pitifully low salaries of 15K-30K rubles are just plain LOW. Why do you keep talking about "pre-sanction" salaries, anyway? Russians have been and still are paid in rubles. Goods and services are priced in rubles.

AstarD, exactly! There are many many pages of posts in another thread dedicated to the FOREX rate of rubles to dollars as the pure basis of measuring the health of the Russian economy. Why?

I talk about pre-sanction salaries because we can safely assume the sanctions will not last forever, or does someone have a different take?

Now as for cost of living in Moscow vs. the rest of Russia, so what? That is the same throughout the world. In the USA, for example, people trade long commutes for lower housing costs and lower cost of living to work in the city but live in the suburbs, or they live in "fly over country" to live in much less stressful surroundings, but the trade-off is lower average salaries.

I have friends who stayed in Vladimir and therefore get the 20k salaries; others for whatever reason had the wherewithal to move to Moscow and therefore they are earning the 50k+ salaries.

Now here's the key point: Russian Lad and his ilk would have you believe that a vast conspiracy of the rich Russian oligarchs, VVP, and even the Russian Orthodox church collude to make the country such that those poor residents of Vladimir earn so little. I think it's quite obvious that higher salary earning opportunities exist in Russia, but just like throughout the world people are different (their characters fit a standard deviation curve), likewise in Russia you'll find go-getter type A personalities who want to better themselves, and people who are content with their place in life and do not try to change it.

Hmmm, RL is blaming "the connected ones" for Russia's ills, much like the Democrats (socialists) in the USA blame external circumstances ("the man," racism, "the rich," etc.) for poor peoples' situation in life. Could it be that Russia-haters are liberals and Russian patriots are conservative, like how in the USA the America-haters are liberals while the American patriots are conservative??

RL, you could start your own "Occupy Wall Street" protests in St. Pete! Good luck.

AstarD
20-08-2015, 10:54
I don't get that at all from Russian Lad's posts. Moreover, if Russians were paid in rubles before the sanctions and are paid in rubles during the sanctions, I guess we can assume that they will continue to be paid in rubles after the sanctions are lifted.

What effect are sanctions having on people's ruble salaries?

I assume the salaries will continue to be about the same. They didn't change much during the boom years for blue collar or menial workers, which by the way are the majority of the population in any country.

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 03:45
Its bad after 6 weeks. If it is real!!!Stop the English protocol you are online for Christ sake.

If it's good after 6 weeks, (kvass). Then it's probably good after a year, don't ya think?

Oh, wait, it says "best before 10/23/14". Made in Brooklyn, and kosher, by the Rabbinate.

Wonder if it will rocket-launch when I untwist the cap? Maybe I should shake it up, first...

Judge
27-08-2015, 09:32
If you haven't been for awhile then a a day out to VDNKh is well worth a visit, they have renovated the whole place,
fountains, gardens, new militray hardware near the rocket, loads of places to eat and the place is spotless, no rubbish to be seen.
Recently they opened http://sputniknews.com/russia/20150805/1025406418.html

Back to the OP, Mayakovskaya Square is also being renovated ,not finished yet but so far it looks good,new underpass exit and I think they will have small kiosks, of course it was a construction site for a few months and most probably ppl with nothing better to do took pics to complain, I wonder if ppl like in the OP take pics when the job is finished and ppl are enjoying the new look.

FatAndy
30-08-2015, 12:33
..And queue Fat Andy's Envy post in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..
Relax, I react selectively ;)

Russian Lad
30-08-2015, 15:54
loads of places to eat and the place is spotless, no rubbish to be seen.

Moscow, that's great, 80% of the Russian money is there, so I assume they can afford clean eating places, even if barely. Meanwhile in Naberezhniye Chelny:

https://youtu.be/ilEUpmbwlK0

nicklcool
31-08-2015, 07:30
Moscow, that's great, 80% of the Russian money is there, so I assume they can afford clean eating places, even if barely. Meanwhile in Naberezhniye Chelny:

https://youtu.be/ilEUpmbwlK0

RL why do you keep posting clips of people enjoying food samples at festivals?

Uncle Wally
31-08-2015, 12:34
RL why do you keep posting clips of people enjoying food samples at festivals?

Maybe he's hungry?

FatAndy
31-08-2015, 12:43
Maybe he's hungry?
...victim of bloody rotten regime!

Russian Lad
31-08-2015, 14:50
It is not about them enjoying food, it is about them enjoying it from shovels.

nicklcool
31-08-2015, 21:35
It is not about them enjoying food, it is about them enjoying it from shovels.

So what RL at our state fairs they eat corndogs from sticks and cotton candy from plastic bags, at some bars you can take a shot from the cleavage of the bartender, and I'll bet at German festivals they do something funny with beer like drink it through funnels- it's all part of the novelty! You really think you're onto something with your third video post of Russians enjoying novelty food at celebrations but it's not going anywhere- no one thinks those are Russians lining up at bliny food banks!