PDA

View Full Version : around GUM

Benedikt
25-07-2015, 20:11
have not been in the center since quite a while... 100s of sm2 of flowers and tens of thousands of lamps in the evening. about 1 km line to get to the lenin Mausoleum.`don't think the guy will get peace soon, much to popular with tourists...
actually the 3rd night pic was from the -Detsky Gum- behind the Gum.

natlee
26-07-2015, 10:50
Ahhh, nice, if only there was a way to get there by car! :evilgrin:

Benedikt
26-07-2015, 14:01
Ahhh, nice, if only there was a way to get there by car! :evilgrin:

but you have to come through the side streets. Tverskaya- Lyubjanka Square and than find an underground parking. be prepared to pay 100 to 150 rubles an hour though. or at the bottom end of Gum there is the -valet parking-. $$$ in my opinion.
around Karl Marks, plenty of free parking, not during the week though, as far as i know it is paying, somewhere they are hiding the boxes where you can pay.
Metropol and the Moskva Hotel have underground parking,$$$ again....

FatAndy
26-07-2015, 14:16
There is underground parking at Ильинка, just near GUM, on the corner with Ветошный пер
https://maps.yandex.ru/-/CVcczOPB

penka
26-07-2015, 17:05
Thanks for the pics, Ben! It's a beautiful building and reminds me of childhood and ice cream:)

By chance, does anyone know, if it is possible to park in close proximity to ZUM. Alternatively, is there an underground parking?

Russian Lad
26-07-2015, 18:03
about 1 km line to get to the lenin Mausoleum

What do they actually do there, once inside? I mean, are they expecting him to give some friendly signs, to raise from the dead or there is some other unknown thrill in eyeballing a mummified corpse? I have struggled to understand it for my entire life and the purpose of this procedure still eludes me, frankly. :10641::respect:
The evening pics look rather trashy and sinister, by the way. I did like the flowers though.:)

Benedikt
26-07-2015, 18:07
Thanks for the pics, Ben! It's a beautiful building and reminds me of childhood and ice cream:)

By chance, does anyone know, if it is possible to park in close proximity to ZUM. Alternatively, is there an underground parking?

only the price has changed.. 50 rubles for a cone!! Gum and Detski Mir also, same nice ice-cream, same price.
I think look at the map fat andy posted, TSUM must be there as well. otherwise, they also have underground parking, $$$ though. and nothing much going on weekdays, or you arrive there VERY early....

penka
26-07-2015, 18:29
only the price has changed.. 50 rubles for a cone!! Gum and Detski Mir also, same nice ice-cream, same price.
I think look at the map fat andy posted, TSUM must be there as well. otherwise, they also have underground parking, $$$ though. and nothing much going on weekdays, or you arrive there VERY early....

Aha. Will check it out. Thanks!

penka
26-07-2015, 18:33
What do they actually do there, once inside? I mean, are they expecting him to give some friendly signs, to raise from the dead or there is some other unknown thrill in eyeballing a mummified corpse? I have struggled to understand it for my entire life and the purpose of this procedure still eludes me, frankly. :10641::respect:
The evening pics look rather trashy and sinister, by the way. I did like the flowers though.:)

Why do you complain? You don't like the ziccurat? Schusev and his archaeologist pal did a good job. And very appropriate, too:)

GUM is eclectics a la rus with fine Byzantine arches. Nothing sinister there.

Russian Lad
26-07-2015, 20:40
GUM is eclectics a la rus with fine Byzantine arches. Nothing sinister there.

I find it terribly lacking taste and yes, sinister - the lighting, not the buildings themselves. Please kindly allow me to have my personal opinion regarding this matter, thank you.:11030::10293:

Why do you complain? You don't like the ziccurat? Schusev and his archaeologist pal did a good job. And very appropriate, too

I am not complaining, I am genuinely curious as to why one would want to go there. If I had such an interest in dead bodies, a morgue would fully satisfy my piqued curiosity.

penka
26-07-2015, 21:21
I find it terribly lacking taste and yes, sinister - the lighting, not the buildings themselves. Please kindly allow me to have my personal opinion regarding this matter, thank you.:11030::10293:

I am not complaining, I am genuinely curious as to why one would want to go there. If I had such an interest in dead bodies, a morgue would fully satisfy my piqued curiosity.

This opinion of yours is terribly wrong. It looks romantic and nice. I hope, you're not afraid of darkness!:)

Same reasons, some people liked going to Kunstkamera:)
A ziccurat (a sacral building per se) with a unperishable body in it is a reminder how the whole thing had been fashioned on a religious cult.

I have never been there, in any case and not intending to go.

Russian Lad
27-07-2015, 00:04
It looks romantic and nice. I hope, you're not afraid of darkness!

Tastes differ, so it is a bit strange - getting a rebuke for not liking a lighting decoration. It is dark there too? I thought it was just gaudy, but you are telling me it is also impractical?

Russian Lad
27-07-2015, 03:35
I have never been there, in any case and not intending to go.

But you believe it is absolutely normal to have it downtown, in a supposedly modern and civilized city? The ziccurat with a dead body in it I mean, representing a certain "religious cult", to use your terminology. And it doesn't seem weird to you? It does to me, hence my idle interest. :coffee:

Benedikt
27-07-2015, 05:08
[QUOTE=Russian Lad;1425457]I find it terribly lacking taste and yes, sinister - the lighting, not the buildings themselves. Please kindly allow me to have my personal opinion regarding this matter, thank you.:11030::10293:

it is a colossal waste of energy. these thousands of lamps do not run on fresh air.... a few spotlights, as they and before were much nicer indeed.

vossy7
27-07-2015, 09:32
Nice pics Ben and for sure I hate to see the incredible architecture of Moscow and any other cities lit up like Christmas trees..... I am a huge fan to the great Russian architects and have been since I arrived..... I remember there was once a small collection of miniatures in the Andronikov Monastery , one of the most underrated monasteries in the city , before they were shipped off to the State Schusev Museum and I love the the buildings of Melnikov as well , there is a tour coming up and hopefully I will be able to make it to have a look at what has been happening to all these sites over the years.
http://muar.ru/en/the-excursion-tour-moscow-of-konstantin-melnikov .

So many .... Осип Иванович Бове.......:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

penka
27-07-2015, 10:10
But you believe it is absolutely normal to have it downtown, in a supposedly modern and civilized city? The ziccurat with a dead body in it I mean, representing a certain "religious cult", to use your terminology. And it doesn't seem weird to you? It does to me, hence my idle interest. :coffee:

No, don't think its a good idea to keep the mummy and necropolis there. Corpses belong to the graveyard.

FatAndy
27-07-2015, 10:59
So many .... Осип Иванович Бове...... .:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Well, nothing too strange - he was the head of the architectral commission on principal fronts during the post-1812-fire reconstruction of Moscow.

The second one of significant architects of New Times Moscow - a bit earlier, 2nd half of XVIII - is Matvey Kazakov.