PDA

View Full Version : Atonement

Albertina
28-02-2008, 22:43
I'm watching it and finding it too maudlin and intensely boring... maybe it's just my mood? Anyone seen it?

elis
28-02-2008, 22:45
The book was wonderful...

AndreyS
28-02-2008, 22:46
The book was wonderful...

And now it s not? ;-)

Albertina
28-02-2008, 22:48
Yes, that's helpful to know. But what about the movie?

Judge
28-02-2008, 23:02
I heard that it's a sloppy love film for women,I wont be downloading it.:5387::5387:

Albertina
28-02-2008, 23:10
I heard that it's a sloppy love film for women,I wont be downloading it.:5387::5387:

I AM a woman! So let's rephrase it... to 'a movie for sloppy women'

Judge
28-02-2008, 23:14
Eye eye captain.I would say that Rambo is a kinda film you will like....speaking about Rambo,anyone seen this film,word is,it's very bloody,bloody than ever...I'll download it now..

Judge
28-02-2008, 23:17
If anyone is interested in the new Rambo,get it here in english...

Rambo 2008 Eng R5 DVDRip DivX-LTT Torrent - btjunkie (http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Rambo-2008-Eng-R5-DVDRip-DivX-LTT/433309b2c5b99965005a0790c83b24da70cea7d1fc06)

mckarla
28-02-2008, 23:38
I'm watching it and finding it too maudlin and intensely boring... maybe it's just my mood? Anyone seen it?

Yes, I've seen it couple of weeks ago. I wasn't sure if I like it or not. Keira was annoying me a little, story seems to be naive and too idealistic, but the twist at the end explained to me everything. I don't know if director really invented it like this (or is it in book originally), but the ending reward somehow this "untrue" moments of a movie. That's my opinion.

Albertina
28-02-2008, 23:42
I find Keira more annoying with every movie. I only Liked her in Pride and Prejudice. C'est tout :-(

snow&music
28-02-2008, 23:49
Eye eye captain.I would say that Rambo is a kinda film you will like....speaking about Rambo,anyone seen this film,word is,it's very bloody,bloody than ever...I'll download it now..

Yep, I saw Rambo at that place on Novi Arbat, Octobrskaya, I think.

It's a gripping philosophical investigatory drama, where the eponymous hero faces his own Nietzschian angst.

Bewildered in the brilliancy of his perceived past, and thrown to the flames of a possibly illusory present, he tackles the fundamental existential questions at the core of his own twisted post-modernist psyche.

Who or what is 'Rambo', does this 'Rambo' exist, and if so what is the nature of his existence? Is his reluctance to travel 'up river' to confront a bloodthirsty band of Burmese pirates merely supplication to his own Satre-esque 'bad faith'.

Does the river even exist? does 'existence' even exist? Does the world exist outside the mind? and if it does, what is the objective nature of this 'reality'?

Such are the riddles the wise sage faces, as he negates the 'lex parsomoniae' simplicity of Occam's Razor, in favour of a large pointy knife, and a sexy black bow and arrow combo set.

Our hero, then travels on an allegorical journey, where he transcends his own doubts, moving from non-positional consciousness, into an existence defined by his own surroundings, actions and subsequent experiences, largely involving explosions and graphic mutilation of his monstrous and oppresive 'id', metaphorically represented in film by 'the baddies'.

A must see!

Albertina
28-02-2008, 23:54

It's a gripping philosophical investigatory drama, where the eponymous hero faces his own Nietzchian angst.

Bewildered in the brilliancy of his perceived past, and thrown to the flames of a possibly illusory present, he tackles the fundamental existential questions at the core of his own twisted post-modernist psyche.

Who or what is 'Rambo', does this 'Rambo' exist, and if so what is the nature of his existence? Is his reluctance to travel 'up river' to confront a bloodthirsty band of Burmese pirates merely supplication to his own Satre-esque 'bad faith'.

Does the river even exist? does 'existence' even exist? Does the world exist outside the mind? and if it does, what is the objective nature of this 'reality'?

Such are the riddles the wise sage faces, as he negates the 'lex parsomoniae' simplicity of Occam's Razor, in favour of a large pointy knife, and a sexy black bow and arrow combo set.

Our hero, then travels on an allegorical journey, where he transcends his own doubts, moving from non-positional consciousness, into an existence defined by his own surroundings, actions and subsequent experiences, largely involving explosions and graphic mutilation of his monstrous and oppresive 'id', metaphorically represented in film by 'the baddies'.

A must see!

WOW, That was quite a 'passage', now can you say it again? In English! :D

Judge
28-02-2008, 23:55

It's a gripping philosophical investigatory drama, where the eponymous hero faces his own Nietzchian angst.

A must see!

WOW,great post,you can't beat a bit of arse kicking Rambo style, now i'm ready to go into Rambo mood...2hrs 30mins for download to finish..:ninja::ninja:

Albertina
29-02-2008, 00:00
Judge, ain't you cheap :5387: It's 350 rubles in the Cinema :goblin:
LARGE SCREEN! and Popcorn.

mckarla
29-02-2008, 10:36

It's a gripping philosophical investigatory drama, where the eponymous hero faces his own Nietzschian angst.

Does the river even exist? does 'existbehind ence' even exist? Does the world exist outside the mind? and if it does, what is the objective nature of this 'reality'?

A must see!

I always knew there's something behind this rough face of Sylvester Stallone. Thanx for lighten up. I just ordered on amazon.com RamboMultiSpecialDVDBox

Orion
29-02-2008, 11:33
I find Keira more annoying with every movie. I only Liked her in Pride and Prejudice. C'est tout :-(

Maybe it is just me, but I kinda liked Keira in Love Actually. But she definitely needs to eat something every now and then.

Judge
29-02-2008, 12:54
Judge, ain't you cheap :5387: It's 350 rubles in the Cinema :goblin:
LARGE SCREEN! and Popcorn.

How did you know my middle name:shhhhhh::shhhhhh::shhhhhh:
The last time and only time I went to see a film at a cinema in Moscow it was the new Star Wars at the American Cinema,Hotel Radisson and it was the worst film experience of my life,mobiles going off,the AC system making strange noises and the film going back and forth from english to russian.

When I watch films at home I can smoke and have a break anytime I want.

snow&music
29-02-2008, 13:13
I always knew there's something behind this rough face of Sylvester Stallone. Thanx for lighten up. I just ordered on amazon.com RamboMultiSpecialDVDBox

Agree, and it is not just mere co-incidence that 'Rambo' is pronounced the same way as 'enfant Shakespeare', 19th century French gun running, absinthe swigging, latterly monopedic poet, Arthur Rimbaud.

The whole 'Rambo' oeuvre has been a deeply spiritual modern 'homage' to the adventurous life of the doomed, but mercurially talented Frenchman. Rambo's 1-3 are a metaphorical examination of Rimbaud's tempestuous relationship with the older symbolist poet Paul Veraline, represented in film, by the Viet Kong/NVA/Mujahadeen/anyone who doesn't agree with Rambo and who looks a bit 'foreign' and shifty.

Rimbaud's conversion to religion, during his travels in 1875-80 are represented in the films' deep Buddhist content, and underlying message, that desire can only lead to unhappiness, or 'dukha', a life out of kilter with spiritual harmony.

Consider this dramatic interchange in First Blood, where Colonel Trautman (here representing an ever questioning Zen master) and Rambo (the acolyte), dissect the complexity of desire and existence in a world beyond human control or comprehension:-

Trautman: ...what is it that you want John?

Rambo: I want, what they want, and every other guy, who's came over here, spilt his guts, gave everything he had, ONCE, for our country to love us, as much as we, Love...IT. That's what I want.

Deep stuff, Rambo's unhappiness is driven by the second 'Noble Truth' of Buddhism, that it is the nature of man to crave for unachievable desires. His first step to enlightenment is in recognition of these desires, and the suffering they ultimately bring.

The wise Zen master considers Rambo's response, and encourages his young charge to think deeper on the true nature of his inner turmoil....

Zen Master Trautman: How will you live John?

Rambo: Day by day...

By which Rambo recognises that only by eliminating desire, and following 'The Noble Eight Fold Path' will he find spiritual harmony. Living in 'this' moment ('Day by day...'), and not being tormented by concerns for the future, or regrets for the past is the only path to a calm soul.

In the films, his journey down the Noble Eight Fold Path to enlightenment is allegorically represented by blowing up lots of stuff, chopping down trees with machine gun fire, driving about in tanks, grunting in a moody way, looking a bit thick, and indiscriminate random acts of senseless violence.

Thus, the allegory continues, until in the closing frames of Rambo (IV) our colourful protagonist realises the cause of his inner suffering, and through deep meditative thought (represented in film by shooting people in the face with explosive arrows) achieves enlightenment, bringing to a close the philosophical tour de force, which is Rambo.

elis
29-02-2008, 13:35
Snow . . . I vote this and your earlier post, not just the Posts of the Month, but the Posts of the Year!

snow&music
29-02-2008, 13:56
Snow . . . I vote this and your earlier post, not just the Posts of the Month, but the Posts of the Year!

Elis, you are too kind! :) Thank you! :) I think there is some competition for Post of the Year, Mickeytong's post on worst jobs he'd had comes to mind!

Judge
29-02-2008, 14:01
:agree::agree:
Da, I 2nd that,now i'll be watching Rambo 3 in a all new different way,it's not all about blood,guts and glory,the deeper inner side to John Rambo.I'm glad I mentioned Rambo in this thread.keep up the good work snow&music.What's your take on the Terminator films?

Check the video out in this link..Terminator isn't that far away..

Killer Robots 'Could Become Militants' Weapon Of Choice' |Sky News|Technology (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91221-1307049,00.html)

elis
29-02-2008, 14:23
:agree::agree:
Da, I 2nd that,now i'll be watching Rambo 3 in a all new different way,it's not all about blood,guts and glory,the deeper inner side to John Rambo.
I'm glad I mentioned Rambo in this thread.keep up the good work snow&music.What's your take on the Terminator films?

Check the video out on this link..Terminator isn't that far away..

Killer Robots 'Could Become Militants' Weapon Of Choice' |Sky News|Technology (http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91221-1307049,00.html)

Oh yes! There must be some Humeian angle to TheTerminator!! Pleeeaassee...

Mete
29-02-2008, 17:26
Brilliant analysis, Snow. I have been laughing my head off for at least 5 minutes. Thanks for the insight. i'd like to hread about the "nous" in "Rocky Horror Picture Show" for example.
As for the Atonement, I watch the movie a few months ago and it left me with no desire to start a thread on it, however I do think Keira Knightley is bloody stunning.

elis
29-02-2008, 17:29
Elis, you are too kind! :) Thank you! :) I think there is some competition for Post of the Year, Mickeytong's post on worst jobs he'd had comes to mind!

Touche'. Perhaps you should give your philosophical take on that. :bookworm:

snow&music
29-02-2008, 19:00
I've not seen Terminator, or Rocky Horror show for ages, If I have chance I'll have a look at them. I seem to remember Terminator, was deeply philosphical!

Albertina
29-02-2008, 19:31

Elis, not so fast! Now snow can retire on his laurels and contemplate on the existential essence of Being instead of sweating over bringing us more and more these cheuf-d'oevres of his posts for our intellectual pleasure. And who wants that? Who wants to be left with the posts a la 'Russian women are the best' and 'in-depth' (no pun intended) analysis of the Moscow metro?! Tell me who wants that?! Noone. Thus, we are looking forward to Snow's posts where he will exceed himself, if this is even humanly possible. I am holding my breath (as well as my vote) in anticipation of this.
Go Snow! :D

:fireworks::fireworks::fireworks:

elis
29-02-2008, 19:44
Elis, not so fast! Now snow can retire on his laurels and contemplate on the existential essence of Being instead of sweating over bringing us more and more these cheuf-d'oevres of his posts for our intellectual pleasure. And who wants that? Who wants to be left with the posts a la 'Russian women are the best' and 'in-depth' (no pun intended) analysis of the Moscow metro?! Tell me who wants that?! Noone. Thus, we are looking forward to Snow's posts where he will exceed himself, if this is even humanly possible. I am holding my breath (as well as my vote) in anticipation of this.
Go Snow! :D

Indeed, Albertina. You make an excellent point. :applause:
I withdraw my vote...in anticipation of the next Snow Installment. [waiting with bated breath]

snow&music
01-03-2008, 11:25
No pressure then! :)

Maybe I should have quit while I was ahead, if I ever was..... :)

If I have time I'll have a nose at Terminator, I seem to remember it was a scathing indictment of the cold war zeitgeist, with significant cross-references to Kiekergaard's 'Concluding Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments'. I need to watch it again, but I'm confident it contains many tangential diapsalmatas to the arguments of indeterminism vs. causal determinism, with the 'Terminator' a visualisation of Laplace's hypothetical omniscient 'demon'.

I'm not sure if I have the constitution to make it through The Rocky Horror Show unscathed. :)

Carbo
02-03-2008, 12:47
Just watched Atonement last night and loved it.

The first part of the movie proves that small scale stroy telling isn't a lost art in cinema. No huge canvass; no advancing at break-neck speed from one location to another; just a story about a 13 year old girl who sees a conversation she shouldn't have, reads a letter she shouldn't have and then sees sex she shouldn't have, puts 2 and 2 together and gets 5.

The sequence is wonderfully directed and edited, slowly revealing itself and keeping the watcher engrossed in what is, ultimately, a story that could have been used in a very clever short play, rather than the stuff we're used to watching on the big screen.

The second part of the movie is the consequences of the girl's actions from that night. Her learning to cope with what she did, when she thought she understood, but, as a 13 year old didn't, and 'atoning' for the mistake by forcing herself to cope with the blood and vomit realities of war in a London hostpital rather than taking the easy life by studying at Cambridge; and the the consequences of her actions for the main protagonists, who atone for the little girl's actions in rather more destructive ways.

Finally, there is surely the best twist at the end of a movie since the delicious double cross at the end of No Way Out. I won't spoil it by describing it at all, but it's different from anything else I've seen and worth watching the movie for alone. Especially if, like me, you had no idea what the whole movie was going to be about before you watched it, and no idea there was a twist coming.

Great stuff, and while I haven't seen No Country For Old Men, the Coen brothers must have done an amazing job to beat Joe Wright for best director.

Outstanding stuff.

Albertina
02-03-2008, 20:23
Could you have a nose at 'There will be blood' on another thread?

No pressure then! :)

Maybe I should have quit while I was ahead, if I ever was..... :)

If I have time I'll have a nose at Terminator, I seem to remember it was a scathing indictment of the cold war zeitgeist, with significant cross-references to Kiekergaard's 'Concluding Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments'. I need to watch it again, but I'm confident it contains many tangential diapsalmatas to the arguments of indeterminism vs. causal determinism, with the 'Terminator' a visualisation of Laplace's hypothetical omniscient 'demon'.

I'm not sure if I have the constitution to make it through The Rocky Horror Show unscathed. :)