PDA

View Full Version : Private Schools

Gainsbourg
09-08-2003, 22:53
Does anyone can give me information about private schools in Moscow?
(all range: Russian as well as English speaking)

thanks
Gainsbourg

jules
12-08-2003, 15:29
Not an extensive list, but here are some English schools:

Anglo-American School
Pokrovsky Hills
www.aas.ru
t 231-4488
f 231 4477
e director@aas.ru

British International School
Novoyasenevsky per 19-5
t 426 0210
f 426 5400
e ppa@cityline.ru

Indian Embassy School (not sure about language of instruction)
Bolshaya Dorogomilovskaya 10/2
t 240 6437
f 243 7009
e principalkvm@cityline.ru

International School of Tomorrow
Sumskoy Proezd 5a
t 312 4408
f 311 7567
e benedik@modelschool.ru

Teutonic Deity
12-08-2003, 15:46
and another one:

Hinkson Christian Academy
International PO Box 144
131000 Moscow,
Russia
011-7-095-733-9740
HCA@eamail.net
www.hinkson.ru

PolarBear
13-08-2003, 00:00
From the Hinkson website:

"Hinkson Christian Academy exists to assist missionary families by educating and training their children in an atmosphere that celebrates the Lordship of Jesus Christ enabling them to develop spiritually, intellectually, physically, and socially."

Needless to say, for some, the above may be a reason to avoid this school. Others may be attracted to it for this reason. What I do know is that one non-evangelical father of a Hinkson student was pleased with the quality of the education there, but not too happy with his son's embrace (probably temporary - they are no longer in Moscow) of Christian fundamentalism.

Gainsbourg
25-08-2003, 00:01
thanks to all who replied, and apologies for the late reaction! Holidays and so on were the reasons.

Moscovian

xt-tsi
18-09-2003, 20:27
Good list above of English schools. Anybody know of Russian schools with English language instruction (private).

Also, anybody know about finding an figure skating trainer and ice time, on a private basis?

Thanks!

XT-TSI

Pingu
18-09-2003, 20:43
The only English language instruction for Russian pre-school children that I know is the English Baby Club (for 2-6 year olds, group and one-to-one lessons): www.valday-service.ru/ebc.htm, but I'm sure there are plenty of others. Try Bonne International as well: 933 2893. There's also one for French instruction somewhere in the Centre. Maybe ask at the British Council.

bonhomme
18-09-2003, 20:50
Can also try Playschool Moscow if your kids are preschool-kindegarten age tel:134-2006

xt-tsi
18-09-2003, 22:21
Thanks - I should probably elaborate.

Our daughters are 5 and 8, study in the US and are bi-lingual Russian/English speakers.

Would like to find elementary school options, beyond the Anglo American school (where the emphasis is heavily on English). The perfect world would be a bi-lingual, English/Russian education.

Perhaps a Russian school with a strong English program.

Any thoughts? Again, thanks!

xt

ps - anybody have ideas about finding a figure skating trainer.

vespasian
19-09-2003, 10:52
You should go to www.themoscowtimes.com and look at their archives for this week. On Monday they had an article about the private schools in Moscow (listing several by name) that have college prep tracks and emphasis on bi-lingual education. It was actually an interesting article. It may give you a starting place to find similar schools. Another option is to call the Moscow Times and speak to the journalist who wrote the article (to see if they can recommend how to track down similar schools not mentioned in the article).

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2003/09/17/018.html
Private Schools Provide a Pricey Alternative
By Yana Valueva

It's no secret that Russia's once-vaunted education system is in decline. Many schools lack the proper equipment. Decades-old textbooks are falling to pieces. It's not uncommon for school buildings to go unheated in the winter.
This is a troubling situation for parents who are concerned about their children's education. But fortunately, at least for those families who can afford them, private schools have been making great strides in Moscow in the last few years...

jules
19-09-2003, 15:13
Actually, the article was on Wednesday. They list the Lomonosov School at Kuntsevo Metro, $8550/yr, English French & German available; the Russian International School at Domodedovsky, $14500 including boarding; the European Gymnasium at Sokolniki, no price listed.

It's odd that there are no contact numbers listed at the end of the article - MT usually does that...

Dino
06-10-2003, 14:35
The Russian International School is situated in the Domodedovo region of Moscow and is a Day and Boarding school for children of expats and Russians.
The School offers Russian Curriculum as well as British National Curriculum and I.B Curriculum.
It works in conjunction with School "Premier", which is located in the Domodedovskaya Metro area. It is a day school only, but offers the same three curriculums.
If you would like to see either or both schools, please contact me on 393 08 18 and ask for Mr Vikas (Vice-Principal).
Good Luck!!!

irlandka
06-10-2003, 23:10
There is a private school in the North-West part of Moscow (Strogino) called Integration XXI. It is a Russian school, but there is instruction in English, as well as Spanish, French and German as foreign languages. The web page is: www.integration21.com

uninformed
07-10-2003, 17:31
Originally posted by xt-tsi
Thanks - I should probably elaborate.

Our daughters are 5 and 8, study in the US and are bi-lingual Russian/English speakers.

Perhaps a Russian school with a strong English program.

Any thoughts? Again, thanks!

xt

ps - anybody have ideas about finding a figure skating trainer.

Make sure the English teachers or teachers who instruct in English are, in fact, native English speakers - not Russians/Indians trained in English as a second language. That is a recipe for disaster.

Pingu
07-10-2003, 17:51
The English Baby Club (tel no as previously given) has native English speakers in every class and they offer private lessons (one-to-one English language, music, art) as well.

katya_k
10-10-2003, 12:18
we provide educational consulting services inMoscow, which means we help parents to choose a school depending on their wishes and family needs, a child's abilities and programms that Moscow schools offer since schools are very different and some would suite some families and children but not the others and vise versa.
our website (www.edv.ru) is only in Russian but you cal e-mail me to info@edv.ru

ronymo
12-10-2003, 12:04
FYI, there is a little booklet - like one of those road atlases they have here - which is actually a directory of schools in Moscow, usually gives a short description of the school as well; just pick up the phone and ask! There are some very good Russian schools nowadays (often called "elitniy" but that could mean anything from snob school to jealousy...). For instance there is one called "Mesh" acronym for Moskovskaya Ekonomicheskaya Shkola (it IS also an elementray school and not only a college) on Zamorenova Ulitsa not far from the American Embassy, which is considered a VERY good school.

Gainsbourg
13-10-2003, 00:14
Ronymo,

And where can we get the booklet? and is there an English version as well of it?

Thanks,
Gainsbourg

ronymo
13-10-2003, 11:40
No English version, as far as I know. I don't even have it myself, I saw it at somebody's who bought it at one of those stalls along the Garden Ring - the temporary ones that sell various books and atlases off folding tables. If I manage to get hold of a copy I'll post here.

uninformed
13-10-2003, 21:21
Originally posted by ronymo
For instance there is one called "Mesh" acronym for Moskovskaya Ekonomicheskaya Shkola (it IS also an elementray school and not only a college) on Zamorenova Ulitsa not far from the American Embassy, which is considered a VERY good school.
Also, if you pay the right price your child is GUARANTEED to get good grades! Available at two locations, now! Plus, you can rub shoulders with all those parents being driven around in dark-tinted windows!!! (Just hope your child doesn't get on the wrong side of his school mates!)

Gainsbourg
14-10-2003, 14:23
Thanks for the info... I'm going to look for this booklet!

Gainsbourg

ronymo
21-10-2003, 19:48
today in detski mir (yes i've been busy today...) i saw lots of interesting cd's - informational ones. one of them was called moskovskie shkoly. they cost about 80-100 rubles, so probably worth a shot! first floor, right hand side, all the way to the end (where the paper plates and various household stuff used to be, now they have playstation, cd's, school supplies).