PDA

View Full Version : Moscow trees : Then and now!

vossy7
26-05-2015, 10:29
We were just discussing this over the weekend.....some amazing photos here
http://englishrussia.com/2012/06/18/moscow-trees-then-and-now/6/

Joni had it right .....

They took all the trees
And put them in a tree museum
Then they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em
Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr__rRGWVgI

abhilife2001
26-05-2015, 14:44
eek..:jawdrop:

and we (and most folks from India), believe that Moscow has lots of greenery relatively..:respect:

Nobbynumbnuts
26-05-2015, 16:04
We were just discussing this over the weekend.....some amazing photos here
http://englishrussia.com/2012/06/18/moscow-trees-then-and-now/6/

Joni had it right .....

They took all the trees
And put them in a tree museum
Then they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em
Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr__rRGWVgI

..i always remember arriving in Moscow and seeing the white stuff falling from the birch? trees. Like snow all over the ground where i lived at the time.
Then someone told me the story about how female birch trees had been planted all over the city by mistake instead of male ones, which don't produce the 'snow'. The person concerned was executed by Stalin....Don't know how true the story is, just what i heard.

Benedikt
26-05-2015, 17:01
..i always remember arriving in Moscow and seeing the white stuff falling from the birch? trees. Like snow all over the ground where i lived at the time.
Then someone told me the story about how female birch trees had been planted all over the city by mistake instead of male ones, which don't produce the 'snow'. The person concerned was executed by Stalin....Don't know how true the story is, just what i heard.

type into search -look it is snowing- and you get the story. if the memory was not deleted because i posted it, i think, 2 or tree years back.otherwise just reply, i still have it in my computer and re post it. the tree is the POPLAR and the more they cut it back, the more vigorous it re grows. it is only good that their -street live- is not as long as Oak or chestnuts, so sooner or later they will die out anyway.

TolkoRaz
26-05-2015, 17:03

It is called 'Pukh' (tuft) which also creates a fire hazard!

Actually, although many trees were planted in the 1930s, the majority of these trees were planted in the 1960s on the orders of Comrade Krushchev :10310:

vossy7
26-05-2015, 19:23
It is called 'Pukh' (tuft) which also creates a fire hazard!

Actually, although many trees were planted in the 1930s, the majority of these trees were planted in the 1960s on the orders of Comrade Krushchev :10310:

TR......pukh off....:11513: .......it gets right up my nose ......do you have any allergies ?

FatAndy
26-05-2015, 20:22
The person concerned was executed by Stalin....Don't know how true the story is, just what i heard.
Absolutely true.
Stalin has cut him alive with a dagger at the Red Square, then has fried shashlyk of his meat, and ate it with his colleagues.
Bones of this poor creature were thrown to stray dogs.

Damned blood-thirsty tyrant!!! :mad:

Nobbynumbnuts
26-05-2015, 20:56
Absolutely true.
Stalin has cut him alive with a dagger at the Red Square, then has fried shashlyk of his meat, and ate it with his colleagues.
Bones of this poor creature were thrown to stray dogs.

Damned blood-thirsty tyrant!!! :mad:

..no, your confusing Stalin with Ivan the very nasty! :D

vossy7
26-05-2015, 21:42
From trees to tyrants......only on expat.ru folks......you know it makes sense.....join us soon on a friendly forum near you :AngelPray:

FatAndy
27-05-2015, 12:39
From trees to tyrants......only on expat.ru folks......you know it makes sense.....join us soon on a friendly forum near you :AngelPray:
:mml: