PDA

View Full Version : Expat exodus empties Arbat and Tverskaya.

Benedikt
27-04-2015, 19:26
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/expat-exodus-empties-out-elite-moscow-districts/519843.html

good, and the places will go back down to normal rent prices. and not super inflated phantasies to make greedy landlord and agents rich.

FatAndy
27-04-2015, 20:04
good, and the places will go back down to normal rent prices. and not super inflated phantasies to make greedy landlord and agents rich.
From 10-15kbucks/mo to 7-10 ? ;)

rusmeister
27-04-2015, 20:55
(Music from "Moses in Egypt land")

Let my apartments - go!!!

(To Let signs hanging everywhere...)

FatAndy
27-04-2015, 21:01
(Music from "Moses in Egypt land")

Let my apartments - go!!!

(To Let signs hanging everywhere...)
yesssss! :10518:

tonytony
27-04-2015, 22:08
From 10-15kbucks/mo to 7-10 ? ;)

Nowhere near that much.

This is such a complete coincidence but we just went to look at a flat that was literally two minutes walk away from where that photo was taken just a bit further up Arbat.

A really nice furnished flat of 130 sq metres looking into the yard rather than onto the street itself. They were asking 250,000 roubles per month but we very quickly and easily got them down to 200,000.

I am not a hard negotiator at all - my wife keeps complaining about this - and I think we could have pressed them for a much lower price. We're seriously thinking about it and, if we do, I'll let my wife do the negotiating in future to get the price down even lower.

EDIT

And there's a parking space in the yard included as well.

Benedikt
28-04-2015, 08:55
I am not a hard negotiator at all - my wife keeps complaining about this - and I think we could have pressed them for a much lower price. We're seriously thinking about it and, if we do, I'll let my wife do the negotiating in future to get the price down even lower.

EDIT

and in all fairness, i also feel sometime quite uncomfortably haggling about a price..

vossy7
28-04-2015, 10:09
Nowhere near that much.

This is such a complete coincidence but we just went to look at a flat that was literally two minutes walk away from where that photo was taken just a bit further up Arbat.

A really nice furnished flat of 130 sq metres looking into the yard rather than onto the street itself. They were asking 250,000 roubles per month but we very quickly and easily got them down to 200,000.

EDIT

And there's a parking space in the yard included as well.

TT I assumed you have been here long enough to own your own apartment ?

tonytony
28-04-2015, 11:19
TT I assumed you have been here long enough to own your own apartment ?

I was here many years ago and then got married and moved back to the UK for around seven years before we returned a couple of years ago.

With the fall in value of the rouble we have been looking at buying somewhere and started looking seriously in the last couple of months. However, there's the old problem of location v size v price and we got rather disillusioned with the quality of what we saw for the price that we can afford - at least in the areas we are looking in. We may well compromise and look at moving further out.

Perhaps the best opportunity we've seen was a flat just off Noviy Arbat that needed a total remont. The nice thing about it was that it was untouched and had really high ceilings and a nice original herringbone wooden floor but the layout was so bad that we would need to knock down walls etc to make it liveable.

So this rented flat on Arbat is really just an easy option - a beautiful flat in an old restored pre-revolutionary building that we can just walk into.

On the other hand, although it will be a lot of work, I think that the flat near Noviy Arbat could also be just as nice if it were sympathetically restored. However, I have seen so many Russian remonts that just make me cringe that it could be really difficult finding a company to do the work to the standards that we would be looking for. Also, if we do end up knocking down walls then I don't know what effect that will have on the floor as we would really want to keep the existing flooring.

Decisions, decisions.:confused1:

Benedikt
28-04-2015, 15:15
if you are close by a METRO station. i had never ,have not and will not have, any problem using public transport in Moscow. And special not the Metro. beats sitting in the traffic jam any time.

tonytony
28-04-2015, 21:34
if you are close by a METRO station. i had never ,have not and will not have, any problem using public transport in Moscow. And special not the Metro. beats sitting in the traffic jam any time.

Agreed, but there are times when you really do just need a car:-

Don't know how good yo uare with your own transport? Head out to GLOBUS, 4 km on the Riga highway. the head butcher there is a german, they can help you.

Benedikt
29-04-2015, 04:33
Agreed, but there are times when you really do just need a car:-

no argument for going out of town...