PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to the wrong shops or do I need to head off to Dorogomilovsky market?

tonytony
02-04-2015, 20:10
Ok, so I've recently been looking for beef dripping or lard without any real success. I'd even make do with vegetable shortening but again no real luck there.

Am I just walking around blind when I go shopping and haven't noticed it or is it really difficult to find?

I did a search on the forum and the only thing that came up was Benedikt offering to make some as a favour:-

http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=20194

..apologie, from a chef who does not know his lard from suet...
the first is indeed rendered porkfat, while the second is fat from beef, beef kidneys etc.
if you can't find lard, let me know a week in advance, i call my butcher, they will send me the fat and i will render it for you.
price will be nice also...

If it's any help to German speakers lard is schweine schmalz and beef dripping, if it were to exist, I guess would be called rinder schmalz.

The reason I ask is that I really want to make a regional British dish that I remember from my childhood for some family members next week and it really needs preferably beef dripping or, if not, then lard or vegetable shortening.

Unfortunately, butter won't do as a substitute - I've tried it and it gives the dough a different taste and texture.

So, if anybody could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Jas
02-04-2015, 21:13
So ure wanting 2 use this stuff to make black pudding, right?
Black pudding like sounds like what they eat for xmas- but believe me it isn't. It's another.
Anyhow, what u can do is buy beef and just cut all the white bits of cos that's the fat that is. Problem solved.
Or u cud try something civilised like ghee. Just sayin.

Benedikt
03-04-2015, 05:26
Black pudding like sounds like what they eat for xmas- but believe me it isn't. It's another.
Anyhow, what u can do is buy beef and just cut all the white bits of cos that's the fat that is. Problem solved.
Or u cud try something civilised like ghee. Just sayin.

he does not need instructions.

Benedikt
03-04-2015, 05:36
If it's any help to German speakers lard is schweine schmalz and beef dripping, if it were to exist, I guess would be called rinder schmalz.

with Schweineschmalz i can not help you. but beef drippings you can get from =Lavkalavka= ( they are on the internet) and ask them to get it from John Kopiskies Agrofarm. We are selling it here,where i am at present, ready in the refrigerator. might take a few days though to get it to you. unfortunately, at present we don't cut up pork, so no schmalz. you might have to try indeed Dorogomilovsky. or try Asbuka Vkusa at the Lotte center, they might have the odd packet next to the margarine and butter in the dairy counter.Don't know how good yo uare with your own transport?Head out to GLOBUS, 4 km on the Riga highway. the head butcher there is a german, they can help you.Last but not least, you can buy a kg of very fat pork and render it yourself.. you do have a mincer at home do you?

tonytony
03-04-2015, 12:02

No, I want to make a dripping cake.

For those that aren't aware, it is similar to a lardy cake - although slightly different. It is basically bread dough that is layered with fat, sugar and dried fruits in the same way that puff pastry is made:-

tonytony
03-04-2015, 12:04

with Schweineschmalz i can not help you. but beef drippings you can get from =Lavkalavka= ( they are on the internet) and ask them to get it from John Kopiskies Agrofarm. We are selling it here,where i am at present, ready in the refrigerator. might take a few days though to get it to you. unfortunately, at present we don't cut up pork, so no schmalz. you might have to try indeed Dorogomilovsky. or try Asbuka Vkusa at the Lotte center, they might have the odd packet next to the margarine and butter in the dairy counter.Don't know how good yo uare with your own transport?Head out to GLOBUS, 4 km on the Riga highway. the head butcher there is a german, they can help you.Last but not least, you can buy a kg of very fat pork and render it yourself.. you do have a mincer at home do you?

Thank you so much for your help Benedikt.

I've never been to Globus but I'll make the trek out there. I'll also get in touch with Lavkalavka.

Englishman In Moscow
03-04-2015, 12:51
You can try Koptivskiy market. Tram 23 or 27 from Voikovskaya. Excellent meat market under cover, friendly traders. Anything you want and if they havent got it they will probably be able to get it.

That is of course if you are willing to knock it up yourself

EinM

FatAndy
03-04-2015, 13:13
You can try Koptivskiy market. Tram 23 or 27 from Voikovskaya. Excellent meat market under cover, friendly traders. Anything you want and if they havent got it they will probably be able to get it.

That is of course if you are willing to knock it up yourself

EinM
Well, if you speak some Russian, you may find everything you need. If not, try to use Google translate or just print out a phrase on a papersheet like I need beef lard, do you have? If not, can you order for tomorrow or past tomorrow and then call me on mobile 8903123456?
Мне нужен говяжий жир, у вас есть? Если нет, можете заказать на завтра-послезавтра и перезвонить 8903123456?
If you need belly internal fat, it's like нутряной жир.
Pork fat - свиной жир.

Nobbynumbnuts
03-04-2015, 13:18
I had to look this one up. I've heard of lardy cake which is similar.

Another option is to roast a joint of meat to serve as your main course (any style you like) then use the dripping left in the pan to make the cake. This is actually the traditional way to make it.

Jas
03-04-2015, 15:57
Well I never new u cud make cake from meat fat. It sounds uber unhealthy, like those fried Mars bars they eat. Dunno how people can eat such bad stuff and then cost the nhs zillions.

Jas
03-04-2015, 15:59
Well, if you speak some Russian, you may find everything you need. If not, try to use Google translate or just print out a phrase on a papersheet like I need beef lard, do you have? If not, can you order for tomorrow or past tomorrow and then call me on mobile 8903123456?
Мне нужен говяжий жир, у вас есть? Если нет, можете заказать на завтра-послезавтра и перезвонить 8903123456?
If you need belly internal fat, it's like нутряной жир.
Pork fat - свиной жир.

Level 1 russian for pig fat cake makers.

Jas
03-04-2015, 16:00
No, I want to make a dripping cake.

For those that aren't aware, it is similar to a lardy cake - although slightly different. It is basically bread dough that is layered with fat, sugar and dried fruits in the same way that puff pastry is made:-

It looks nice.... until u find out what's hiding in it.

ConanS
03-04-2015, 18:52
It looks nice.... until u find out what's hiding in it.

As the adage for food goes, the better something tastes, the less you want to know about how it was made

Benedikt
03-04-2015, 20:47
Well I never new u cud make cake from meat fat. It sounds uber unhealthy, like those fried Mars bars they eat. Dunno how people can eat such bad stuff and then cost the nhs zillions.

the guy was asking here where he can find something. that is what the site and we are here for. he does not need a lecture from you. it is up to us what we want to eat. and it is up to us what we like. yo ueat what yo uwant, we don't lecture you.

if i want to eat lams balls and fogs legs and raw oysters, or drinking snakes blood with snake gall and Mao-tai,( i have done all) it is my business. you don't like it, your problem.

FatAndy
03-04-2015, 21:32
Well I never new u cud make cake from meat fat. It sounds uber unhealthy, like those fried Mars bars they eat.
Ure hole life is unhealthy, everyone dies of it.:11629:

Benedikt
04-04-2015, 06:12

but there are people who have other traditions and eating habits. some eating fried locust, i have, in China i have tried the -1000 year eggs. a delicacy. In Hongkong,Beijing and Bangkok we have eaten things that in the beginning i was not sure did it swim,fly,slither,jump, bark,crow,sing or whatever, before it ended in the pot. and it was delicious.
Time for you to learn and understand that.