PDA

View Full Version : Recent visa runs

rumple_stilskin
01-04-2015, 11:48
I am curious about recent visa runs. has anyone had any problems. Certainly not more than 6 months ago, ideally within the last three months.

For the 1 year business visa. During previous visas frequently doing the 90 days in Russia and then quick border hop and back again. Have a western passport, ideally British.

Have you been to the nearby countries with no problem. You don't need to divulge your favorite "hidy-hole". Have you been to one of Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania or Ukraine?

Any problem?

JPS
01-04-2015, 22:14
UK passport holders need to return to the UK for their "visa run".

Everybody else can pop over the border...

rumple_stilskin
01-04-2015, 22:49
UK passport holders need to return to the UK for their "visa run".

Everybody else can pop over the border...

Since when? Do you know someone refused?
Did you have a problem? and when?

JPS
02-04-2015, 00:28
Since when? Do you know someone refused?
Did you have a problem? and when?

Unless you have residency in another European country then you HAVE to get your visa in the UK.

You also need to provide biometric data as well - fingerprints.

will start collecting biometric data (fingerprints) of all foreign nationals and stateless persons for each of their application for Russian visa.

Therefore, biometric data of applicants will be collected in person at the Russian Visa Application Centres in London and Edinburgh (in some cases at the Consular Section of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in London and the Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Edinburgh). In the event of refusal to undergo this procedure, the applicant will not be issued a visa.

http://www.rusemb.org.uk/consnews/29

rumple_stilskin
02-04-2015, 12:22
Unless you have residency in another European country then you HAVE to get your visa in the UK.

You also need to provide biometric data as well - fingerprints.

http://www.rusemb.org.uk/consnews/29

JPS, The rules are not implemented the same at every consulate. Some new rules are ignored, some old rules that are cancelled are still enforced. 12 months ago you did not need to get your visa in the UK or somewhere with residency, despite the rules(I am living proof).

So I am really looking for feedback from people that have recently done the visa trip. successfully or with problems from nearby consulates, and what happened. Ideally with a British passport or a 'politically similar' passport. Anyone?

markmarkov
01-05-2015, 19:04
I am curious about recent visa runs. has anyone had any problems. Certainly not more than 6 months ago, ideally within the last three months.

For the 1 year business visa. During previous visas frequently doing the 90 days in Russia and then quick border hop and back again. Have a western passport, ideally British.

Have you been to the nearby countries with no problem. You don't need to divulge your favorite "hidy-hole". Have you been to one of Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania or Ukraine?

Any problem?

It depends on what you consider a "problem". Recently while crossing a border which I shall not name, the line was moving very quick for everyone ahead of me (about 30 seconds per person). When it was my turn, the officer picked up the phone, called someone and said "Masha, grazhdanin se-she-aa". Then there was a delay of about 10 minutes where absolutely nothing was said if you don't count typical Russian tongue clicking and loud sighs from people behind me. After about 10 minutes, the phone rang and the officer immediately slammed the stamp into my passport and gave it back. I have no idea what this was all about.

tasel
03-05-2015, 17:12
I have similar question for a friend of mine. To which country can a US citizen go for a visa run ?

Tiancai
03-05-2015, 18:25
I have similar question for a friend of mine. To which country can a US citizen go for a visa run ?

Depends on the geographic location, but there are lots of options available. From Moscow closest would be going to Ukraine, from St. Petersburg Finland or Estonia. Southwest Russia would be Georgia and Azerbaijan. Central Siberia would be Mongolia, and in the Far East South Korea and Japan. If you're stuck somewhere near the Urals I guess your only option would be to get a Kazakh visa, because visa-free countries can only be reached by airplane from there.

tasel
08-05-2015, 13:46
Depends on the geographic location, but there are lots of options available. From Moscow closest would be going to Ukraine, from St. Petersburg Finland or Estonia. Southwest Russia would be Georgia and Azerbaijan. Central Siberia would be Mongolia, and in the Far East South Korea and Japan. If you're stuck somewhere near the Urals I guess your only option would be to get a Kazakh visa, because visa-free countries can only be reached by airplane from there.

Thank you.