PDA

View Full Version : Visa run options: Please help me clarify...

hookemoph
27-02-2008, 20:51
Hello all,

I am trying to make sense of this visa mess situation- I havent kept up with all the changes b/c I was off having a baby, and now it seems like I've missed the boat. I am currently on a 3 month tourist visa- I need to reapply for another 3 month visa soon.

In order to do so, do I HAVE to go back to the States? (Not keen on traveling internationally with the infant after FINALLY getting his sleeping back to normal)

If I choose to do a visa run, what countries can I do this in? (So far, it looks like Kiev is the only one mentioned- and I don't want to spend 10 days or what not in Kiev. Is it even more than 10 days now?)

So I guess it boils down to: Can I do fun visa/vacation run of old (ie to non EU country like Egypt)? And if so, how long do I have to stay there? And will they issue me a visa? Or do I have to mail my passport home from there?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I tried looking through the threads, but this sleep-deprived new mommy just doesnt have the capacity to understand this complexity right now!

-Hookemoph
-Hookemoph

th&vk
28-02-2008, 12:19
Hello all,

I am trying to make sense of this visa mess situation- I havent kept up with all the changes b/c I was off having a baby, and now it seems like I've missed the boat. I am currently on a 3 month tourist visa- I need to reapply for another 3 month visa soon.

In order to do so, do I HAVE to go back to the States? (Not keen on traveling internationally with the infant after FINALLY getting his sleeping back to normal)

If I choose to do a visa run, what countries can I do this in? (So far, it looks like Kiev is the only one mentioned- and I don't want to spend 10 days or what not in Kiev. Is it even more than 10 days now?)

So I guess it boils down to: Can I do fun visa/vacation run of old (ie to non EU country like Egypt)? And if so, how long do I have to stay there? And will they issue me a visa? Or do I have to mail my passport home from there?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I tried looking through the threads, but this sleep-deprived new mommy just doesnt have the capacity to understand this complexity right now!

-Hookemoph
-Hookemoph

Hi Hookemoph,

My guess is the reason no one has answered you is nonone has a reliable answer - or an answer you want to hear. The rule is clear: only in your home country or a place where you have legal residency. Ukraine has worked for some -- but be sure to read that thread carefully -- I don't recall the details, but you first have to get "expedited residency" from some agency there in Kiev, and only then can you take your application to the embassy and then wait 10 days ... something like that -- time consuming and not cheap ... As for taking a holiday in Egypt or UAE or wherever, all you can do is call the local embassy and ask ... but it sounds like all embassies are giving the same answer -- though perhaps you can buy expedited residency in other countries than Ukraine though how one learns about such interesting schemes (scams?) I have no idea!

As for mailing your passport to the States ... I know I wouldn't want to be stranded - even in a first class resort - without my passport ... plus, you'll have to send it to a relative/friend to send on for you -- the Russian consulate site clearly says it won't mail passports to non-USA addresses... and I'm pretty sure someone wrote here that in fact FedEx (and I assume all carriers) are now supposed to transport passports country to country.

Wish I had an answer that could really help ... Good luck!

hookemoph
04-03-2008, 20:42
just to followup- i am going back to the States... oh well! at least i tried!