PDA

View Full Version : Sky will be (partially) dark in Moscow today,Friday

Benedikt
20-03-2015, 06:00
does not mean the world has come to an end.it is also nit an imperialistic plot.....just a partial solar eclipse.
word of caution. dark sunglasses and the likes are not suited to watch it directly. if you have nothing else, take piece of glass and darken it by burning a candle underneath. the sooth though must cover the glass completely! also a welders MASK ( not googles only) will protect your eyes.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/arts_n_ideas/article/rare-solar-eclipse-will-hit-moscow-on-friday/517743.html

though why the MT, our provider of unimportant Moscow news has to add this sentence is beyond me:

Friday's eclipse is the biggest since 1999, a time so long ago that Vladimir Putin was not in charge of Russia. If you miss Friday's eclipse, you will have to wait till 2026 for the next one, when Putin — even if he wins another term — will not be president of Russia. Probably.

TolkoRaz
20-03-2015, 07:18
Apart from Moscow, will it be dark anywhere else? :confused:

Benedikt
20-03-2015, 07:31

and i think it will be in other places as well, one would assume? but so far i did read only Austrian /German news and the MT...
and here you can watch it -live-
http://www.space.com/19195-night-sky-planets-asteroids-webcasts.html
and some not so good news, hopefully they will be proven wrong ( translated the part from an Austrian newspaper)

But not only the eyes could now be in danger. Due to the special sky constellation in the UK, Canada and Australia,extrem high tidal waves are expected. In France, on Saturday, waves, as high as a four-storey house on could hit the coast.

tonytony
20-03-2015, 10:24

Yes, most of northern Europe. Though the further north you are the more the sun will be eclipsed:-

Where's the best place to see Friday's solar eclipse? Probably the internet

Americans will not see the rare solar event at all, but stargazers across Europe and the UK will be able to catch a view

Stargazers around the world will be greeted with a breathtaking solar eclipse on Friday – though it won’t be visible to all. Unless you’re Danish or had the foresight to make travel arrangements to a remote Norwegian archipelago (where hotels have been fully booked for the event since 2008), your view will be obstructed.

You won’t be able to see it at all from the United States, but the whole event will be live-streamed courtesy of the Slooh Community Observatory, starting at 4.30am ET (8.45am GMT).

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/mar/19/solar-eclipse-friday-where-to-see

Kartoshka
20-03-2015, 22:59
I was underwhelmed by how not dark it was...

TolkoRaz
20-03-2015, 23:25
I saw Paddy looking directly at the Solar Eclipse.

"Didn't you read any of the warnings?" I said, "You could go blind looking at the sun like that!"

"I'm not that stupid," he replied, squinting. "I'm looking at the moon."

A solar eclipse is like a woman breast feeding in a restaurant...

Its free, its beautiful...but under no circumstances should you look directly at it.

I'm taking my wife skydiving, so if you see a solar eclipse today, don't be surprised!

FatAndy
21-03-2015, 01:12
and i think it will be in other places as well, one would assume? but so far i did read only Austrian /German news and the MT...
and here you can watch it -live-
http://www.space.com/19195-night-sky-planets-asteroids-webcasts.html
and some not so good news, hopefully they will be proven wrong ( translated the part from an Austrian newspaper)

But not only the eyes could now be in danger. Due to the special sky constellation in the UK, Canada and Australia,extrem high tidal waves are expected. In France, on Saturday, waves, as high as a four-storey house on could hit the coast.
I'm in Mayrhofen, Zillertal valley now, and my mates saw it via special glasses. Though generaly the day was rather sunny :lick:

vossy7
21-03-2015, 03:05
I saw Paddy looking directly at the Solar Eclipse.

"Didn't you read any of the warnings?" I said, "You could go blind looking at the sun like that!"

"I'm not that stupid," he replied, squinting. "I'm looking at the moon."

A solar eclipse is like a woman breast feeding in a restaurant...

Its free, its beautiful...but under no circumstances should you look directly at it.

I'm taking my wife skydiving, so if you see a solar eclipse today, don't be surprised!

Jesus TR, you know every time you talk about me I get a sudden flush of blood to my ego :7534:

Benedikt
21-03-2015, 05:22
I'm in Mayrhofen, Zillertal valley now, and my mates saw it via special glasses. Though generaly the day was rather sunny :lick:

clear sunny skies, great weather. what i was reading in the papers, it was quite a hoopla around in Vienna and Klagenfurt....
Moscow was quiet, a more or less non event. suppose here it only counts when the world goes under.