PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Bets, anyone?

embojangles
24-02-2008, 10:55
Anybody feel like predicting the Oscars? My friends and I always do a betting pool (although nobody ever pays up). If anyone feels like guessing, here are my picks for some of the bigger categories:

Performance by an actor in a leading role
George Clooney in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)
Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)
Johnny Depp in "Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" (DreamWorks and Warner Bros., Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount)
Tommy Lee Jones in "In the Valley of Elah" (Warner Independent)
Viggo Mortensen in "Eastern Promises" (Focus Features)
My bet: Daniel Day-Lewis, almost a sure thing.

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Casey Affleck in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" (Warner Bros.)
Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's War" (Universal)
Hal Holbrook in "Into the Wild" (Paramount Vantage and River Road Entertainment)
Tom Wilkinson in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)
My bet: Javier Bardem, because he probably scared the hell out of all the voters!

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" (Universal)
Julie Christie in "Away from Her" (Lionsgate)
Marion Cotillard in "La Vie en Rose" (Picturehouse)
Laura Linney in "The Savages" (Fox Searchlight)
Ellen Page in "Juno" (A Mandate Pictures/Mr. Mudd Production)
My bet: Julie Christie is the favorite, but I think that if enough of the Oscar voters saw La Vie en Rose, Marion Cotillard could win. She was fantastic.

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Cate Blanchett in "I'm Not There" (The Weinstein Company)
Ruby Dee in "American Gangster" (Universal)
Saoirse Ronan in "Atonement" (Focus Features)
Amy Ryan in "Gone Baby Gone" (Miramax)
Tilda Swinton in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)
My bet: I have no idea. Maybe Blanchett, but she won the same award two years ago. I haven't seen any of the films, but I have a soft spot for Amy Ryan because she's on the best American tv show of all time, The Wire.

Achievement in directing
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Miramax/Pathé Renn), Julian Schnabel
"Juno" (A Mandate Pictures/Mr. Mudd Production), Jason Reitman
"Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.), Tony Gilroy
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax), Paul Thomas Anderson
My bet: The Coen brothers, who should have won for Fargo.

Best motion picture of the year
"Atonement" (Focus Features) A Working Title Production: Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Paul Webster, Producers
"Juno" (A Mandate Pictures/Mr. Mudd Production) A Mandate Pictures/Mr. Mudd Production: Lianne Halfon, Mason Novick and Russell Smith, Producers
"Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.) A Clayton Productions, LLC Production: Sydney Pollack, Jennifer Fox and Kerry Orent, Producers
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage) A Scott Rudin/Mike Zoss Production: Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax) A JoAnne Sellar/Ghoulardi Film Company Production: JoAnne Sellar, Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Lupi, Producers
My bet: No Country For Old Men, and rightfully so.

Albertina
24-02-2008, 18:47
I also bet. But right during announcement of nominees - I see their faces and abstracts from the movies and get an intuitive feeling.

mckarla
24-02-2008, 19:38
In last 10 year i haven't miss any AA ceremony (i mean on TV). I remember i guess 100% all major 10 categories when American Beauty was nominated (1999?). So this year i try like this in this mini-bet like this

Leading Actor:
Daniel-Day Lewis (i think it's obvious)

Supporting Actor:
Javier Bardem (the same as with DDL)

Leading Lady:
Marion Cotillard

Supporting Lady:
Tilda Swinton

Best Directing:
This is though i put Coen's but i believe in Julian Schnabel

Best Picture:
No Country for Old Men

It's great to be in Moscow to watch AA. 4 a.m is not so bad. Easily you can wake up at 6 am and see the best part. I remember living in Western Europe and staying up all night to watch ceremony and be completly f@#$ next day.

britpat1
24-02-2008, 21:43
I do the same thing, I watch on the night and predict, it's weird how sometimes the complete opposite of what we think is successfull or good wins.

I think it will be one of these men that will get the award and my bets on Johnny Depp because there was lot of noise about his performance although I heard the film was not most people's cup of tea.....

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax)

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Casey Affleck in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" (Warner Bros.)
Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)
Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Charlie Wilson's War" (Universal)
Hal Holbrook in "Into the Wild" (Paramount Vantage and River Road Entertainment)
Tom Wilkinson in "Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.)

I have no idea.....

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Cate Blanchett in "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" (Universal)

Ellen Page in "Juno" (A Mandate Pictures/Mr. Mudd Production)

A lot of fuss about JUno... so maybe, but I think cate may get it...

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Saoirse Ronan in "Atonement" (Focus Features)

This film got good review in the UK... But then again this is Hollywood, but I think it could be...

Achievement in directing
"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" (Miramax/Pathé Renn), Julian Schnabel
"Juno" (A Mandate Pictures/Mr. Mudd Production), Jason Reitman
"Michael Clayton" (Warner Bros.), Tony Gilroy
"No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage), Joel Coen and Ethan Coen
"There Will Be Blood" (Paramount Vantage and Miramax), Paul Thomas Anderson

Not sure - will watch and decide, but maybe NO Country for Old Men....

Best motion picture of the year
"Atonement" (Focus Features) A Working Title Production: Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Paul Webster, Producers

I think this will get it if not...

"Juno" (A Mandate Pictures/Mr. Mudd Production) A Mandate Pictures/Mr.

embojangles
25-02-2008, 00:13
Overall, I think it's a really good year for the Oscars. I've seen 4 out of five of the best picture nominees (I didn't have the energy to download Michael Clayton). For once, there's no category that will make me really angry if the wrong person/film wins.

Oh! Here's a really fun and silly youtube link of the best pictures done as sock puppet shows. Don't watch them if you haven't seen the films (yes, even sock puppets can give away endings). The first is the one for There Will Be Blood, but you can search around for the other four:

YouTube - There Will Be Blood Sock Puppet Show (http://youtube.com/watch?v=eJyHZ0qNxEc)

mckarla
25-02-2008, 11:03
Wow looks like i was a prophet. I agree with most of the awards. This year had no masterpiece in selection, but all five movies nominated are very, very good. For me personally There Will Be Blood was more intense than No Country For Old Men, but I think it's a matter of taste.

Can't wait to see was brings us year 2008

embojangles
25-02-2008, 11:33
Good work McKarla. I knew Supporting Actress was a toss-up.

I think There Will Be Blood was a much grander movie, but No Country For Old Men is as close to a perfect film as you can get.