PDA

View Full Version : Our little friends

Miracle77777
22-02-2008, 15:04
Please - vote for pets which you have ever had in your life.....:mml: :mml:

You could use a multiple choice...:iagree:

If you have some funny stories, photos or advices - please feel free to post here ^^.....

Thank you in advance.......

Miracle77777
22-02-2008, 15:07
Little PS: Bels and Turkgida - I do hope, this time I hadn't forget to include your options....;)
If so - please do not be offended....:D :iloveyou:

Natkin
22-02-2008, 16:29
My mad colleagues wanted to give me a symbol of 2008 as a New Year gift. Lucky me, the shop ran out of rats, and now I am a proud owner of hamster instead. It is a great pet for my cat - she spends hours watching his moves in a cage. I don`t think she wants to eat him - she admires him as a toy!!!

Miracle77777
22-02-2008, 16:54
My mad colleagues wanted to give me a symbol of 2008 as a New Year gift. Lucky me, the shop ran out of rats, and now I am a proud owner of hamster instead. It is a great pet for my cat - she spends hours watching his moves in a cage. I don`t think she wants to eat him - she admires him as a toy!!!

Thank you, Natkin ^^
This is very curious and I always have been wondering - why instead of trying to eat smaller pets, very often dogs and cats just playing with hamsters, parrots, mices....???
This is very good and adorable...but a bit unnatural....???

Natkin
22-02-2008, 16:57
I guess when they see that Mama is feeding the pet, it is a family member, like a lil brother. She tries to tap his nose when he pops out as if trying to escape. Like, you know, mind your place, young boy!

Penelope
22-02-2008, 18:18
I've had pets all my life. And it's brought me lots of joy, but lots of tragedy, too, of course :7525: because none of my pets was a pirate's parrot or a giant tortoise, and they die. :cry:

Cats, dogs, hamsters, gerbils, rabbits, and guinea pigs--those are the pets I've had throughout my lifetime so far. :10305::10301::11721:

I favor cats, but I like dogs too. I love guinea pigs, and would have one, but I'm afraid that my older children (my cats) might commit murder :eek:

A funny time when I was growing up was that my mom taught first grade, and kept guinea pigs for the kids in the classroom in two of those kids wading pools filled with wood shavings (one for boy pigs, and one for girl pigs). In the summer, she brought them home, and although we segregated them by gender, by the end of the summer we were guinea pig ranchers! We must have had nearly 100 pigs! :mooooh: :mooooh: :mooooh:

bambina
22-02-2008, 18:56
Since I remember myself we always had pets, but moslty dogs, then I asked my mom and she bought me fishes :11721:, but one fish ate all the others and then died in loneliness :bash: I guess :). Later I had two parrots, a girl and a boy, oh, I loved them, they lived quite a long time in our house, and they loved one type of grass which grew in our yard (yes, we had a house with yard), so, just to make them both feel a little romantic I put their cage in the place where that grass was growing and left them there in the shadows of the trees, since it was summer and in our country summer is really really hot. So, I left them both there, they both seemed sooo happy :iloveyou:. Later on I heard some noise, I went there where I have left them (I was about 10 at the time) and couldn't understand at first, I was seeing half of my parrot boy, and girl was trembling in the corner, oh, then I saw that there was a snake swalloing :yikes: my poor boy parrot, gosh, I felt like killing that snake, strangely I wasn't even scared at the time, I took a stone and threw it at the snake, it threw out my parrot, because couldn't fit in the space between cage and crawled away. My poor boy parrot was dead, for me it was such a tragedy, I was crying. I took him and buried. Poor girl parrot died in loneliness in a week :cry:. After that I never had neither parrots nor fish, only dogs and cats :).

elis
22-02-2008, 19:11
Bambina. That's one of the saddest stories ever. (They should make a crying smilie--oxymoron I know, but you know what I mean.)

elis
22-02-2008, 19:18
Before we got here, we also had a fish. Big, ugly, bottom-feeder, pleco. I'd had him for a good 12 years. The bugger just never died. Who knew fish got that old. So, I was feeling pretty guilty, after 12 years, about leaving him. Husband debated about putting him in the canal (South Florida) or in the fish pond at our local watering hole. We opted for the watering hole. They promised to feed, protect, and love.

As Husband was coming here before me, we jettisoned Mr. Pleco in the pond together. I went back to watering hole a few times before joining Husband here, and never saw Mr. Pleco in the pond. Although the bartenders kept assuring me all was well. Hmmmm....

I feel bad when I think about Mr. Pleco.

blueblue
24-02-2008, 02:48
yes, my pic is of me & my dog ... my baby, Sophie ...

1/4 Jack Russell
1/4 Walker Hound
1/2 McNab (a Northern California herding breed)

Miracle77777
24-02-2008, 23:52
Since I remember myself we always had pets, but moslty dogs, then I asked my mom and she bought me fishes :11721:, but one fish ate all the others and then died in loneliness :bash: I guess :). Later I had two parrots, a girl and a boy, oh, I loved them, they lived quite a long time in our house, and they loved one type of grass which grew in our yard (yes, we had a house with yard), so, just to make them both feel a little romantic I put their cage in the place where that grass was growing and left them there in the shadows of the trees, since it was summer and in our country summer is really really hot. So, I left them both there, they both seemed sooo happy :iloveyou:. Later on I heard some noise, I went there where I have left them (I was about 10 at the time) and couldn't understand at first, I was seeing half of my parrot boy, and girl was trembling in the corner, oh, then I saw that there was a snake swalloing :yikes: my poor boy parrot, gosh, I felt like killing that snake, strangely I wasn't even scared at the time, I took a stone and threw it at the snake, it threw out my parrot, because couldn't fit in the space between cage and crawled away. My poor boy parrot was dead, for me it was such a tragedy, I was crying. I took him and buried. Poor girl parrot died in loneliness in a week :cry:. After that I never had neither parrots nor fish, only dogs and cats :).

:( :( :( My dear Bina - I am so sorry about your parrots!!! Especially because I have them too...and they are a couple also....:)

And in the next room - is living black cat....I didn't trust him earlier...but now - I simply afraid of him....:yikes:

Best wishes to you and to your..eh..cats and dogs now...:0 :) :inlove:

PS: does anyone know cases when parrots who living in couple started to speak???
Really want to hear smth fun, besides of singing...:Loco:

Miracle77777
24-02-2008, 23:56
A funny time when I was growing up was that my mom taught first grade, and kept guinea pigs for the kids in the classroom in two of those kids wading pools filled with wood shavings (one for boy pigs, and one for girl pigs). In the summer, she brought them home, and although we segregated them by gender, by the end of the summer we were guinea pig ranchers! We must have had nearly 100 pigs! :mooooh: :mooooh: :mooooh:

:applause: :applause:
You missed such a chance to make a little business....:D :D
BTW - what do they eat, guinea pigs????

Grain?? Grass?? Fruits??
:10305: :10305: :10305:

MickeyTong
25-02-2008, 00:06
You missed such a chance to make a little business...

Peru Pushes Guinea Pigs As Food, In Hopes Of Developing More Robust Export Business - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/19/world/main650148.shtml)

MissAnnElk
25-02-2008, 22:27
My children just hate the idea of eating guinea pigs . . . we had two we left with a neighbor when we moved here. They ate left over salad greens as well as purchased guinea pig food.

There was a great episode of No Reservations where Anthony Bourdain eats guinea pig in Peru . . .

Andy B
26-03-2008, 09:23
Before I left the UK I used to keep snakes and lizards. I think the most I ever had at any one time was (wait for it...):

2 Red Tail Boas
3 Dumerils Boas
2 Childrens Pythons
3 Corn Snakes (and lots of baby corn snakes)
1 Bairds Rat Snake
1 Mexican Milk Snake
1 Northern Pine Snake
3 Chinese Water Dragons
2 Tokay Geckos

Couple of pics attached (have loads more somewhere but need to dig them out)... by the way that is my thumb before anybody asks! :)

Natkin
26-03-2008, 09:31
Andy, your snakes are gorgeous!!! Love them like mad, but never had any as a pet.....

Andy B
26-03-2008, 09:34
Thanks Nat, the Dumerils Boas (the first pic) were my favourite.

Penelope
26-03-2008, 12:32
Is that one biting you? Or is that his way of showing affection :D

Andy B
26-03-2008, 12:50
Yep, he's biting. It was only a few weeks old and I guess he confused my thumb for a mouse!

Penelope
26-03-2008, 12:58
They were all non-poisonous, right?

Miracle77777
27-03-2008, 01:48
Thanks for pics, Andy!!
I thought, that it is VERY VERY seldom, when people take snakes and gekkons as pets^^

But all depends on your bravity and attitude)))

Yep, he's biting. It was only a few weeks old and I guess he confused my thumb for a mouse!

I like your word: confused:).....Hope it was the biggest confusing in its Life)))))

Benedikt
29-03-2008, 18:23
our cat boni( on the monitor of my mac, if it is comfortable i don't know but he likes it there)

Miracle77777
30-03-2008, 22:17
our cat boni( on the monitor of my mac, if it is comfortable i don't know but he likes it there)

:D :D
Nice cat - likes comfort in Life for sure;)
My guess - it is warm there.....and he get closer to the owner.....but is it good for Mac???????

:)

snooznfrost
31-03-2008, 05:00
Hello, I was hoping you could answer a question for me. I am moving to Moscow in May and have two cats. I will be traveling quite a but back and forth to the states. Will I have any trouble finding someone to watch my cats while I am away? Are pet-sitters common?

Thanks for your help,

Rob

elis
31-03-2008, 09:54
Hello, I was hoping you could answer a question for me. I am moving to Moscow in May and have two cats. I will be traveling quite a but back and forth to the states. Will I have any trouble finding someone to watch my cats while I am away? Are pet-sitters common?

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Hi Rob -

First, how old are your cats? I brought my 14 yr old cat with me in January and the trip was really rough on him. He's fine now, but I believe the stress of the trip took it's toll on him.

That said. There are a number of petsitters, etc. in Moscow. However, it really depends on where you live, if you'll be able to located a petsitter. If you're near the center you probably won't have a problem. I live in the South of the city and have a hard time finding anyone.

Check this thread out for good links to pet sitters: http://www.expat.ru/forum/pets/65399-pet-sitting.html

Also, once you start meeting people in your building, you may be able to find a neighbor to help you while you're gone.

Judge
01-04-2008, 21:54
Dog lover myself,always had a dog,first dog was a Golden Retriever,2nd was an Irish Setter, 3rd another Setter,nice dogs are Setters but both had problems with their back legs.
Below is a pic of the dog I have now...Bolshoy Poddle.

Say hi to Romka.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/mayahiggy/DSC00372.jpg

Albertina
01-04-2008, 22:00
what a cutie! and with fluent russian evidently.

AndreyS
01-04-2008, 22:07

Your podgy cat looks really great! My cat used to do like this (now I have a notebook), maybe it's bred in their bones... ;-)

MissAnnElk
01-04-2008, 22:14
Dog lover myself,always had a dog,first dog was a Golden Retriever,2nd was an Irish Setter, 3rd another Setter,nice dogs are Setters but both had problems with their back legs.

Say hi to Romka.

That's just silliness.

Is Bolshoy Poodle the same as a Standard Poodle? (I like the BIG poodles). Never been a setter fan . . . too much energy.

Miracle77777
01-04-2008, 22:15
]

Hello, Romka^^

But I didn't get what is wrong with Setters' legs???

:eh:...as had never Dog as a pet.....:eh:

MissAnnElk
01-04-2008, 22:29
But I didn't get what is wrong with Setters' legs???

Some bigger dogs have issues with their hip joints. German Shepherds are notorious for having problems.

It happens to popular breeds . . . it's a genetic issue and is worse when a breed is popular because there is often too much breeding and in-breeding.

Judge
02-04-2008, 11:58
what a cutie! and with fluent russian evidently.
Yep, and now he understand english.

MissAnnElk,yeah standard poodle,one of the big ones,I don't like the small ones,Romka is a rope poodle,when his hair is long he looks like he's got dreadlocks.

Miracle,Ann is right,some big dogs have weak back legs,next time you see a Setter check out its back legs,they kinda walk funny.

Here's my Romka after listening to some Bob Marley.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/mayahiggy/DSC04030.jpg

MissAnnElk
02-04-2008, 12:01
Judge, he is just gorgeous.

I agree about the poodles: the bigger, the better. They were bred to be hunting dogs, originally. And when they are big, they are still smart . . . He's a keeper.

Judge
02-04-2008, 12:26
Judge, he is just gorgeous.

I agree about the poodles: the bigger, the better. They were bred to be hunting dogs, originally. And when they are big, they are still smart . . . He's a keeper.

Romka is 15 now, very good age for such a dog,last month I thought he was a gonna,wasn't that well,kept falling over and had to be carried down the steps for his walks,but now he's back to his best,it must be the russian fighting spirit in him.

My next dog will be a metro dog,they look so strong.:thumbsup:

Albertina
02-04-2008, 18:26
looks like he had enough of everything, doesn;'t want to see or hear anything :jester:

(can't see his eyes or ears, just the toungue:badclown:)

Zhenulka
02-04-2008, 22:32
Romka is 15 now, very good age for such a dog,last month I thought he was a gonna,wasn't that well,kept falling over and had to be carried down the steps for his walks,but now he's back to his best,it must be the russian fighting spirit in him.

Wow, and he looks so young for his age! Plastic surgery or good genes?

Well, I don't need to post a pic of my dog or, speaking honestly, my parents' dog. It's in my avatar. She is a three year old sham, naughty, obstinate, sly and not particularly smart shi-tzu, extremely gregarious and can easily trade you for the sake of a new acquaintance but when I look into her eyes, the biggest and roundest I've ever seen I can forgive her anything. I never have the nerve to punish her for her mischiefs, no matter how grave they are. :SwoonLoveSmiley:

Our previous dog was a small black shaggy mongrel. She lived with us for 15 or 16 years (can't remember now) and went through thick and thin with us. That's why we appreciated her so much and my mother did all her best to keep her alive even when the vets said it was hopeless. And she even succeded in curing her after the vets had given up by keeping vigil over her day and night. But several years later the end had to come, anyway. She was clever, more independent and sort of more discreet but very faithful and affectionate. My heart still flutters when I see a similar-looking black shaggy dog. :iloveyou:

I am also very partial to Westhihgland terriers and schnautzers (a German word). It will be difficult to make a choice between the two of these once I finally have enough time to take care of my own doggy. :rolleyes:

pullar
04-04-2008, 18:12
Wow, and he looks so young for his age! Plastic surgery or good genes?

I am also very partial to Westhihgland terriers

Don't you fancy Cairns? They're very similar to Westies, but not white.

Zhenulka
04-04-2008, 21:15
Don't you fancy Cairns? They're very similar to Westies, but not white.

Hmm, never heard of Cairns, but looked up in the wikipedia and they look cute!

Anyway, I'd say that almost any dog (except, perhaps, bull terriers) evokes tender emotions in me so in the end I think it's not a question of a breed but a "chance" or a "destiny" when it comes to adopting dogs. Gosh, they are all beautiful!!! And so much easier to deal with than people!!!

pullar
04-04-2008, 22:06
I had a Cairn in England years ago. He was the most wonderful little feller you could imagine. He absolutely adored cats, and always wanted to play with them. Sadly the feeling was never reciprocated. I've seen a few Cairns in Moscow, but they don't seem to be very common.

Zhenulka
05-04-2008, 00:33
Yes, I guess Cairns are not very common here, just like many other "exotic" breeds. I think the most common terriers here are fox-terriers. At least, I remember them since childhood. Anyway, all terriers (except bull terriers that are normally trained to be aggressive, of course) are of extremely friendly nature and they are good companions for children and adults alike.

As for "cats-dogs mutual dislike" I don't know who made up this story. But generally, dogs tend to be very tolerant and sometimes even fond of cats. I've seen a lot of examples when cats and dogs coexist happily under one roof. But if it comes to scuffles between them it's usually the cats who provoke them. Difference in charaters is to blame, I believe. Most dogs like to socialize. But cats are more wary of any "strangers" and prefer to be left alone.

Many many years back when our mongel was yet a puppy she was extremely sociable and playful and spent hours running in the neighbourhood yard, making friends with everyone but there was one street cat that lived somewhere in the bushes who was extremely hostile to her. Our Zhulya tried to approach her several times with purely friendly intentions of having some fun together...but every time she was severly rebuffed and after the agressive cat scrached her badly she kept miles away from every cat she met, having been sort of taught by the negative experience.

And the social habits of our current pet are of such big proportions that as long as an object is breathing and moving she is ready to socialize. All are of equal interest to her: cats, dogs, humans, other animals alike. She firmly believes in her own irresistible charm and is confident that the whole point of the world existing around her is exclusively to communicate with her.