PDA

View Full Version : Temporary outage of the forum 5/2/2014

ezik
04-02-2015, 18:04
Ladies and gentlemen,

Tomorrow, 5th of February 2015, from 10:00 Moscow local time the forum is being moved to our new server with updated forum software.

Although the forum may be accessible, any posts you make, might be lost.

We expect to be fully available again in the evening, which will be announced in this thread.

Thanks for your understanding!

AstarD
04-02-2015, 18:06
Ladies and gentlemen,

Tomorrow, 5th of February 2015, from 10:00 Moscow local time the forum is being moved to our new server with updated forum software.

Although the forum may be accessible, any posts you make, might be lost.

We expect to be fully available again in the evening, which will be announced in this thread.

Thanks for your understanding!:yellowcard: A whole day! What am I going to do now?:coffee:

Benedikt
04-02-2015, 18:39
:yellowcard: A whole day! What am I going to do now?:coffee:

read a book, go shopping, plenty to do!

ezik
05-02-2015, 18:04
It looks like we're back online, with some issues to solve, still.

FatAndy
05-02-2015, 19:04
:yellowcard: A whole day! What am I going to do now?:coffee:
Work, and work, and work hard, and make much money (C) ;)

FatAndy
05-02-2015, 19:06
ISPmanager wants login and password, with every access to every page.

Jas
05-02-2015, 19:26
There's this stoopid pop up what's making me head explode. It's like telling to log in and expat.801 and to sign in. It's terrible and it tiok me real trouble to post- but cos the post was about me and vampires also I tried me best anyhow.

FatAndy
06-02-2015, 12:32
what's making me head explode.
Please post the resulting photo? :)

Benedikt
06-02-2015, 14:07
ISPmanager wants login and password, with every access to every page.

what happened yesterday i wrote. today (now...) i clicked on to the site, no login no password, and works FAST INDEED

bydand
06-02-2015, 14:24
Working fine for me now; thanks to all involved.:thumbsup:

FatAndy
06-02-2015, 15:09
Yes, looks much faster than before. Ezik, thank you and those hidden people! ;)

ezik
06-02-2015, 19:17
We moved and of course, optimistic planning was useless. Always stuff goes wrong in a "go-live" situation. In this case, it was two things:
- Some initial bugs in authorization (hence the pop-up)
- The DNS change (making the www address look at the correct server) took a long time to spread over the internet.

Anyway, welcome on the new server on old Expat.ru. Big thanks for the effort goes to our new server guru Alex and to Poulya for co-ordinating between his efforts and my whining about things not working. ;)

What has changed:
We moved from a hosted cloud server across the Atlantic to a proper dedicated server. This has some advantages:
- Dedicated resources (memory, CPU) mean a quicker forum
- We have someone we know in person managing the technicalities
- Lower costs

What has NOT changed:
In order to make changes manageable, the forum was migrated to a new PHP version, which allows us to now explore vBulletin 5 or PHPBB. On our old server, we were not in control enough to really perform any upgrade without serious outage. So, in short, we're still running the old vBulletin version for now.

What is going to change:
With a new server and dedicated resources, there is a new Main Site in development and an overhaul of the forum becomes do-able.

FatAndy
06-02-2015, 19:23
We moved from a hosted cloud server across the Atlantic to a proper dedicated server.
If you have a process, give it a processor! :10189:

ezik
08-02-2015, 21:15
Very glad that you are happy about our efforts to improve our free website for you.

There's this stoopid pop up what's making me head explode. It's like telling to log in and expat.801 and to sign in. It's terrible and it tiok me real trouble to post- but cos the post was about me and vampires also I tried me best anyhow.

Armoured
09-02-2015, 09:34
In case this helps others: I was having some pages not load with a 'gateway error' (or something like that, don't remember the exact terms).

Anyway: what fixed it was to log out and log back in again (which I think also clears the cookies, so I guess you could do this manually as well).

In short: if you're having issues, log out and log back in again and see if that fixes it!

Jas
11-02-2015, 13:51
Very glad that you are happy about our efforts to improve our free website for you.

Cud u do it without all the mental tension what I got 2 suffer?

And it's not only me that isn't paying nothing even.

AstarD
11-02-2015, 13:52

And it's not only me that isn't paying nothing even.I'm not paying nothing and it's not fair, either!

FatAndy
11-02-2015, 14:10
I'm not paying nothing too, and what's that thing - mental tension? How does it force you to suffer? :)

ezik
13-02-2015, 19:59
By all means, Jas, if you want to pay, I'll be happy to activate the Paid Accounts option especially for you.

But something tells me that you don't want to pay and still expect to be treated like a queen. That's not a technical issue of the website, but just your expectations of the world around you. And sometimes expectations might just turn our to be unrealistic.

I'd like to thank all members for their patience during our move to a new server. There is still lots of work to do, but this was an important first step!

Judge
13-03-2015, 16:48
Looks like all is back to normal, I was told it was a spam attack....hopefully the last of such attacks..

bydand
13-03-2015, 17:11
Looks like all is back to normal, I was told it was a spam attack....hopefully the last of such attacks..

Maybe Shooters/Snowdrift? Anyway, no reason to speculate. Thanks to all for their work on the matter, glad expat is back!

Englishman In Moscow
13-03-2015, 17:18
Well done all. Nice to be back
EinM

poulya
13-03-2015, 17:47
Thank you all for your constant support and contribution! Beginning of February we moved from the American host to the local one. Now we are working on cleaning and updating the forums. It might be a bit inconvenient but we finally need to do it. So excuse any inconvenience in the past, present or in the future! The new design of the main part of the site is coming too. We've already bought the license to be registered within six months. So. we are working on improvement, we are to make it better, and we need your support! Thank you very much indeed! And God bless you all!

TolkoRaz
13-03-2015, 19:48
Maybe Shooters/Snowdrift? Anyway, no reason to speculate.

So why speculate? :confused:

TolkoRaz
13-03-2015, 19:50
Thank you all for your constant support and contribution! Beginning of February we moved from the American host to the local one. Now we are working on cleaning and updating the forums. It might be a bit inconvenient but we finally need to do it. So excuse any inconvenience in the past, present or in the future! The new design of the main part of the site is coming too. We've already bought the license to be registered within six months. So. we are working on improvement, we are to make it better, and we need your support! Thank you very much indeed! And God bless you all!

God bless you Poulya - many thanks for your behind the scenes work & investment - it is very much appreciated :)

Benedikt
13-03-2015, 22:01

And it's not only me that isn't paying nothing even.

anyone forcing you to post here, to stay here and to suffer here. one day of outage, what a big deal. I have now also the whole day no Yahoo mail i am sure the world will stop turning and i am not sure what will happen tomorrow. will i be still alive or not....

Uncle Wally
13-03-2015, 23:07
God bless you Poulya - many thanks for your behind the scenes work & investment - it is very much appreciated :)

You just like the "behind" part.