PDA

View Full Version : I want to marry a Russian and get her a green card in the US, what's the best way to do it?

fishmael
01-02-2015, 13:22
Hi all,

I'm new here. I've been reading some immigration timelines on the US-based site visajourney.com. I'm currently in Moscow on a work visa, and can extend it as I need, but I'd like to ultimately return to my home country with my girlfriend/fiance. Here's the main conundrum:

Is it better if I go back to the US first and apply for a K1 visa to get her the fiance visa? It might take like 6 months.

Or is it better to try to apply in Russia? I'm worried that it could take even longer!

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much!

snowdrift
01-02-2015, 14:20
fishmael

I haven`t had similar experience with women from third world countries but I have once read that the USA authorities are very suspicious of this kind of marriages and it usually takes very long time and money to bring MOBs in legally. You have to prove that you are able to maintain her there (your earnings should overtop certain threshold), lots of paperwork (implies serious spending on lawers) etc.

Besides, you will be checked from time to time and immigration officers will ask questions like "Does your wife shave her armpits?" to understand whether or not you actually live together which is extremally disgraceful. At least it should be so for every decent man. Moreover, Russian women have bad reputation. Watch out - she may dump you once she gets her documents leaving you in the dust. Many people lost money, houses etc. I know as of now you are sure that it is not your case but women`s hypocrisy has no limits.

tonytony
01-02-2015, 14:48
Hi all,

I'm new here. I've been reading some immigration timelines on the US-based site visajourney.com. I'm currently in Moscow on a work visa, and can extend it as I need, but I'd like to ultimately return to my home country with my girlfriend/fiance. Here's the main conundrum:

Is it better if I go back to the US first and apply for a K1 visa to get her the fiance visa? It might take like 6 months.

Or is it better to try to apply in Russia? I'm worried that it could take even longer!

Despite what Snowdrift says above, I actually know quite a few happy marriages. I would suggest that some of those unhappy marriages he refers to didn't really have much of a solid foundation beforehand. If you have been living together here for a substantial amount of time then it is likely that you both know a lot about each other and know what you're getting into.

I'm not American so I can't give you any specific advice. However, if the rules of this forum permit me to say this then I would suggest that you ask your question on the following forum:-

ruadventures dot com

There are quite a lot of Americans there who have either been through the process in the past or are currently going through it. I would suggest that you will probably get a lot more up to date and relevant help there.

DallasTX
01-02-2015, 16:48
Good day Fish,

My Russian wife and I just finished that whole greencard process and she just received her card. A relatively painless, but expensive process. I'm messaging you with our experience.

Jas
01-02-2015, 18:19
fishmael

I haven`t had similar experience with women from third world countries but Moreover, Russian women have bad reputation. Watch out - she may dump you once she gets her documents leaving you in the dust. Many people lost money, houses etc. I know as of now you are sure that it is not your case but women`s hypocrisy has no limits.

What about ure own fcking hypocrisy?

snowdrift
01-02-2015, 21:36
Jas

What? My hypocrisy? What does it consist in? Explain.

vossy7
01-02-2015, 21:41
fishmael

I haven`t had similar experience with women from third world countries but I have once read that the USA authorities are very suspicious of this kind of marriages and it usually takes very long time and money to bring MOBs in legally. You have to prove that you are able to maintain her there (your earnings should overtop certain threshold), lots of paperwork (implies serious spending on lawers) etc.

Besides, you will be checked from time to time and immigration officers will ask questions like "Does your wife shave her armpits?" to understand whether or not you actually live together which is extremally disgraceful. At least it should be so for every decent man. Moreover, Russian women have bad reputation. Watch out - she may dump you once she gets her documents leaving you in the dust. Many people lost money, houses etc. I know as of now you are sure that it is not your case but women`s hypocrisy has no limits.

WTF....third world countries.........women's hypocrisy ......you really are a Neanderthal :11363:

snowdrift
01-02-2015, 22:37
.third world countries.........women's hypocrisy

welcome to the real world, boy!

vossy7
01-02-2015, 22:44
welcome to the real world, boy!

....you really are a Neanderthal and I mean that sincerely !

Uncle Wally
01-02-2015, 22:49
Hi all,

Go the K1 route. I married here in Russia and was told it would take two years maybe three to get the wifey back to the states. At the US embassy I was asked "What are you doing here go back home" that was 20 years ago and I'm still here. While waiting the two years I started to like Russia after 5 we just decided to stay here. So don't marry in Russia if you want to take her back home quickly.

fishmael
02-02-2015, 01:25
Go the K1 route. I married here in Russia and was told it would take two years maybe three to get the wifey back to the states. At the US embassy I was asked "What are you doing here go back home" that was 20 years ago and I'm still here. While waiting the two years I started to like Russia after 5 we just decided to stay here. So don't marry in Russia if you want to take her back home quickly.

That's unfortuante to hear! I've read that you can apply for a spousal visa in Moscow after getting married and it doesn't take more than a couple of months by doing this Direct Consular Filing process which you can find on visajourney( d o t c o m)

Hmm I'll have to research my options further it seems.

Capman
02-02-2015, 08:11
Hello Fishmael,

Keep in mind that when a citizen of the U.S. gets married to a foreign person just so that person can bypass the regular immigration procedures the state considers it defrauding the U.S. government, and that is a felony in federal law. I'm not trying to sound like a knowitall, nor am I trying to scare you, but when you return to the United States, I wouldn't mention getting married just so your wife can get her green card. The U.S. attorney's office doesn't care if you love each other. All they'll care about is why you got married. ... OK :)
I don't think it happens all that often, but it can't hurt to not mention it.

Uncle Wally
02-02-2015, 08:25
That's unfortuante to hear! I've read that you can apply for a spousal visa in Moscow after getting married and it doesn't take more than a couple of months by doing this Direct Consular Filing process which you can find on visajourney( d o t c o m)

Hmm I'll have to research my options further it seems.

Do not believe that. I'll warn you that once you are married it changes everything. You could maybe marry here if 1. You have some contact in the US embassy here. Then will break/forget all the rules. 2. Write your congressman and complain then send a large donation/bribe to his favorite charity.

Things could have changed since I tried but I don't think so. Your Russian wife is just that Russian and is less than human to the US embassy here. When you try to apply for a visa all they will see is a chance to to soak a good bribe from you.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh and it wasn't a misfortune I came and stayed in Russia, now I am so glad I did.

PJB
02-02-2015, 19:00
Do not believe that. I'll warn you that once you are married it changes everything. You could maybe marry here if 1. You have some contact in the US embassy here. Then will break/forget all the rules. 2. Write your congressman and complain then send a large donation/bribe to his favorite charity.

Things could have changed since I tried but I don't think so. Your Russian wife is just that Russian and is less than human to the US embassy here. When you try to apply for a visa all they will see is a chance to to soak a good bribe from you.

Let us know how it goes.

Oh and it wasn't a misfortune I came and stayed in Russia, now I am so glad I did.

100% BS.

Follow all correct USA immigration laws and there are no problems. US Embassy has always treated all of my Russian friends and relatives kindly and trying to bribe embassy staff is the only thing that WILL cause problems. (Visajourney is a good site and will give you all the correct answers)

Uncle Wally
02-02-2015, 22:29
100% BS.

Follow all correct USA immigration laws and there are no problems. US Embassy has always treated all of my Russian friends and relatives kindly and trying to bribe embassy staff is the only thing that WILL cause problems. (Visajourney is a good site and will give you all the correct answers)

You don't bribe the embassy staff silly. You sent your "donation" to a charity of your congressmans choice. They then pay him for something or other and the circle is complete. You really don't know how America works do you. You have never marry a Russian have you? It is just like I said, once you marry it's all different so it's much quicker to go the K1 route. I have dealt with this embassy more than a few times and my first wife worked for one embassy here and I also had a friend who was the first secretary at an embassy.

PJB
03-02-2015, 06:36
You don't bribe the embassy staff silly. You sent your "donation" to a charity of your congressmans choice. They then pay him for something or other and the circle is complete. You really don't know how America works do you. You have never marry a Russian have you? It is just like I said, once you marry it's all different so it's much quicker to go the K1 route. I have dealt with this embassy more than a few times and my first wife worked for one embassy here and I also had a friend who was the first secretary at an embassy.

Am currently married to a Russian,(married in Moscow). Went to American Embassy in Moscow for immigration for hubby and no problems. Friends and relatives also with Russian/American marriages also married in Russia had no problems with US Embassy. I have helped friends with the process of bringing their Russian children to America after marriage to American in US. No problem as long as the paperwork is correctly filled out and the procedures are all followed. NOBODY made any "donations" to anybody or anything. Not even a bottle of vodka or a box of chocolates to the receptionists. And I am quite sure I know how America works since I live here.

Uncle Wally
03-02-2015, 09:38
Am currently married to a Russian,(married in Moscow). Went to American Embassy in Moscow for immigration for hubby and no problems. Friends and relatives also with Russian/American marriages also married in Russia had no problems with US Embassy. I have helped friends with the process of bringing their Russian children to America after marriage to American in US. No problem as long as the paperwork is correctly filled out and the procedures are all followed. NOBODY made any "donations" to anybody or anything. Not even a bottle of vodka or a box of chocolates to the receptionists. And I am quite sure I know how America works since I live here.

I don't believe you. Lets see what happens to the op. But you want us to believe that they will just stamp a visa because you married is unreal. They will question her like a spy and it will take two years and many visits to the embassy.

snowdrift
03-02-2015, 10:59
They will question her like a spy and it will take two years and many visits to the embassy.

Probably she is telling the truth and you are right too. I will explain. I think the US gov. considers by default as sham mariages only ones with foreign brides due to both their number and bad reputation. There are fewer problems in case of foreign husbands because male prostitution is something unheard of. Or at least the scale is ridiculous compared to female prostitution.

Armoured
03-02-2015, 11:24
Probably she is telling truth and you are right too. I will explain. I think the US gov. considers by default as sham mariages only ones with foreign brides due to both their number and bad reputation.

I have no personal experience except for regular visas (for which never any difficulty except minor delays, US embassy staff were helpful and pleasant).

Lots of friends and acquaintances have, though.

You may be right that they are careful about foreign brides and sham marriages.

BUT: the level of scrutiny goes down tremendously when the sponsor (i.e. husband) lives in or has spent lots of time in Russia. It's the long-distance/mail-order cases they are concerned about.

So the usual 'red flags' approach is applied, e.g. neither speaks the other's language, no evidence of having been in the same place for any length of time, short 'courtships', massive age differences (not ten years but thirty), other 'weird social fit' issues (one is wealthy and educated and the other has no education whatsoever), and I'm sure others can make suggestions about other red flags.

I don't know anyone who has had any issues at all - but all my acquaintances have been in cases of longer-term relationships, time in Russia, etc.

bydand
03-02-2015, 11:40
fishmael,
Wally and Snowdrift have an anti-American agenda, and Snowdrift is apparently a misogynist.

My experience is I met my Russian wife in Vladivostok while on a job. She came to visit me in America by coming with a tour group, then leaving the tour group in San Francisco. She made the arrangements, and that was the easiest way for her to get a visa. She paid her own way. We decided to get married, then she returned to Russia.

She came back to America a second time the same way. Due to circumstances, we could not get married until after her visa expired. We did it the wrong way. $800 for a lawyer, nothing to government employees or their "favorite charities" solved the problem. One year later she had a Social Security number, a year and a half later a green card residency permit.

Nobody asked her questions like does your "husband" wear boxer or brief underpants. Actually, that is illegal now, as it was 15 years ago when we married. Given that you are researching the proper way, unlike how I did, I am sure everything will go well for you. Congratulations, and best of luck!

snowdrift
03-02-2015, 11:51
Wally and Snowdrift have an anti-American agenda, and Snowdrift is apparently a misogynist.

hahah I love the way you label people who don`t agree with you. What if I am just telling the truth?) As for questions & stuff - Immigration and Customs Enforcement and USCIS will sort it out. They DO dig and ask questions.

“When they put on their Facebook status that they’re in a relationship with someone and getting married to someone else, that’s sort of a giveaway,” Hayes said. “We’re very, very creative when trying to make a case.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/green-card-marriage-fraud-result-deportation-jail-article-1.1064424

bydand
03-02-2015, 11:58
hahah I love the way you label people who don`t agree with you. What if I am just telling the truth?) As for questions & stuff - Immigration and Customs Enforcement and USCIS will sort it out. They DO dig and ask questions.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/green-card-marriage-fraud-result-deportation-jail-article-1.1064424

Thanks Snowdrift; from your link:

“We’re generally looking at stopping pipelines instead of stopping individuals,” said Special Agent in Charge James Hayes Jr., of the New York field office

snowdrift
03-02-2015, 12:17
read again: generally

bydand
03-02-2015, 12:29
Do you have any personal experience with the process Snowdrift? Did they ask you "does your wife shave her armpits"?

I did it the wrong way, had no problems, unless you call $800 for a lawyer a problem.

AstarD
03-02-2015, 12:32
Do you have any personal experience with the process Snowdrift? Did they ask you "does your wife shave her armpits"?

I did it the wrong way, had no problems, unless you call $800 for a lawyer a problem.He got his information about how that works from Gerard Depardieu. He's an expert, you know, after starring in the movie Green Card.

snowdrift
03-02-2015, 12:47
bydand

there are lots of articles on the Internet with similar stories. Personally, my standards are somewhat higher than yours, guys, no offence. So, I don`t need weird females with murky past from third world countries who will "love" me for my passport basically.

Armoured
03-02-2015, 13:03
So, I don`t need weird females with murky past from third world countries who will "love" me for my passport basically.

Personally I am completely without prejudice in this regard.

I pay no attention to the national origin of the weird females with murky pasts in my life.

snowdrift
03-02-2015, 13:29
I pay no attention to the national origin of the weird females with murky pasts in my life.

It is called lack of class. Anyway, you know who you are and you make your choice.

VicY
03-02-2015, 18:36
to bring MOBs in legally.

:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Who was asking about MOBs on here??

AstarD
03-02-2015, 18:38
:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Who was talking about MOBs on here??Mothers Of the Bride?

VicY
03-02-2015, 18:52
I cannot say much about Americans marrying Russians while in Russia, but a couple of female friends of mine married Americans in Hong Kong (and then lived and worked in China).
Later they were able to follow their husbands to America and I think it must have been on normal tourist visas (not sure about all those American visa codes). Then, when in the US, they applied for permanent residency (the green card) and got it in about 10 months. According to them, there was no hassle and no interrogation whatsoever, just a requirement of the correct paperwork.

VicY
03-02-2015, 19:03
Mothers Of the Bride?

:D :D :D :D

snowdrift
03-02-2015, 20:05
Hong Kong is known to be rather seedy place in a regard. Then they will be taken aback when their wives picked up in brothels or strip clubs leave them in the dust for greener pastures. But it is another story. There is no fool like an old fool - I think this proverb perfectly describes most of the cases.

bydand
03-02-2015, 21:08
bydand

there are lots of articles on the Internet with similar stories. Personally, my standards are somewhat higher than yours, guys, no offence. So, I don`t need weird females with murky past from third world countries who will "love" me for my passport basically.

It is called lack of class. Anyway, you know who you are and you make your choice.

So, some of us have lower standards than you, and lack cl**** in your opinion. Care to share how we can have higher standards, and class? What problems have you had with weird, murky past females from third world countries?

Rhetorical question Snowdrift, don't bother to answer.

I, for one, don't want to, and would never be like you. I've found love. I helped my love with paperwork in America. She has since helped me with paperwork in Russia.

You can find all the stories you want to support your opinion on the internet. You can't find any to change mine. I've lived it. With a fine Russian woman.

Uncle Wally
03-02-2015, 23:04
So, some of us have lower standards than you, and lack cl**** in your opinion. Care to share how we can have higher standards, and class? What problems have you had with weird, murky past females from third world countries?

Rhetorical question Snowdrift, don't bother to answer.

I, for one, don't want to, and would never be like you. I've found love. I helped my love with paperwork in America. She has since helped me with paperwork in Russia.

You can find all the stories you want to support your opinion on the internet. You can't find any to change mine. I've lived it. With a fine Russian woman.

Wow you actually said something caring and nice.

Uncle Wally
03-02-2015, 23:13
I cannot say much about Americans marrying Russians while in Russia, but a couple of female friends of mine married Americans in Hong Kong (and then lived and worked in China).
Later they were able to follow their husbands to America and I think it must have been on normal tourist visas (not sure about all those American visa codes). Then, when in the US, they applied for permanent residency (the green card) and got it in about 10 months. According to them, there was no hassle and no interrogation whatsoever, just a requirement of the correct paperwork.

Very strange because once you are married the only way ( as I was told by the US embassy) was for my wife to go through immigration. I did have an American friend who got his wife a visa by showing that he and her planned to return to Russia because he had a business here and they were married for a few years before this. She never got an American passport but his daughter did. He still lives here.

snowdrift
04-02-2015, 00:28
bydand

Can I take my pleasure in laughing at you?) Remember, there is no fool like an old fool and all the third world birds know it well ;) The notion of honour is something unheard of for you - ok, no problem. We both know how we are. I could go deeper into details, but I am afraid you will complain.

VicY
04-02-2015, 03:33
Hong Kong is known to be rather seedy place in a regard. Then they will be taken aback when their wives picked up in brothels or strip clubs leave them in the dust for greener pastures. But it is another story. There is no fool like an old fool - I think this proverb perfectly describes most of the cases.

What disorder are you suffering from, mister? Reading disability? Or dyslexia? Oh wait, it should be a very special (and incurable, if I may say so) condition of "I read anything and everything I want into whatever's posted here"!
Yeah, that sounds like it.

Hong Kong's a seedy place?? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
So what shall we have next? That I'm a prostitute or something? :D

VicY
04-02-2015, 03:42
Very strange because once you are married the only way ( as I was told by the US embassy) was for my wife to go through immigration. I did have an American friend who got his wife a visa by showing that he and her planned to return to Russia because he had a business here and they were married for a few years before this. She never got an American passport but his daughter did. He still lives here.

Well, that's how it was for my friends. One of them is a close friend, actually, and I can ask her about the exact visa type that she had when they moved to the US.
But again, each case is different. First, they moved 1.5 years ago and you must have been in this situation much earlier. Things might have changed.
Secondly, as I said, they were not married in Russia, and she got her visa from the American consulate in Hong Kong. She had been to the US before.
Also, they had a child by the time they were moving, so it might have played its role too.

Uncle Wally
04-02-2015, 04:24
Well, that's how it was for my friends. One of them is a close friend, actually, and I can ask her about the exact visa type that she had when they moved to the US.
But again, each case is different. First, they moved 1.5 years ago and you must have been in this situation much earlier. Things might have changed.
Secondly, as I said, they were not married in Russia, and she got her visa from the American consulate in Hong Kong. She had been to the US before.
Also, they had a child by the time they were moving, so it might have played its role too.

I have a friend, Russian who got US citizenship, came back to Russia married here had a kid, when he went to get them citizenship they said ok for his daughter and no to his wife. They didn't give a reason why but he thinks because her first husband was a gangster.

In my case I went to immigration in the states first. That's why I came back to Russia because it was there that they said it would take two years. That was 20 years ago, things could have changed. Why they could have given us a harder time? Because I was here maybe. They asked me the first time we went in why I was here and said I should go back home because it would take some time.

I don't think the US embassy knew who my wife was or about her mom but I always thought that they were fools. You see my wife came from a closed city and her mom worked making the bomb material for nukes. She has the highest awards they gave for her service to the USSR. She had just a year or two to be able to leave Russia ( she had to wait 16 years after she retired to get a passport ) So I think the US would have like to still talk with her but now never will. I never said nothing but I was thinking everytime they were rude, ha ok if there is ever a nuclear war my mother in law helped in taking out some of your cities.

Amora
04-02-2015, 12:45
Moreover, Russian women have bad reputation.

Is it even legal to make such narrow-minded and openly racist comments???! It's no different than saying Zimbabwean women are known to have AIDS. Just because some do, it doesn't allow you to make condescending comments towards everyone else. What a chauvinist!!! :vader:

You should know, that most Russians stereotype Americans as overweight dumb flag-waving patriots with a burger in one hand and a gun in the other. It’s not far off to say that Homer Simpson and Stan Smith are the Russian idea of the "typical American family." Sounds like something Russian girls would dream about? A-a. I don't think so.

Besides, you should know the 90s are over. Open your eyes and check out how many Russian women these days attend ivy league universities. Or earn so much more than you do. Its time to get over it.

AstarD
04-02-2015, 12:51
Is it even legal to make such narrow-minded and openly racist comments???! It's no different than saying Zimbabwean women are known to have AIDS. Just because some do, it doesn't allow you to make condescending comments towards everyone else. What a chauvinist!!! :vader:

You should know, that most Russians stereotype Americans as overweight dumb flag-waving patriots with a burger in one hand and a gun in the other. It’s not far off to say that Homer Simpson and Stan Smith are the Russian idea of the "typical American family." Sounds like something Russian girls would dream about? A-a. I don't think so.

Besides, you should know the 90s are over. Open your eyes and check out how many Russian women these days attend ivy league universities. Or earn so much more than you do. Its time to get over it.I think Snowdrift is a Russian.

Amora
04-02-2015, 13:22
I think Snowdrift is a Russian.

Doesn't change the fact that he is making awful unacceptable comments towards Russians.
After all, self-hatred is not a new concept.

snowdrift
04-02-2015, 13:23
Amora

Zimbabwean women are known to have AIDS

If it is true why to cover it? I don`t judge - in fact, prostitutes are necessary too. Get over it :)

that most Russians stereotype Americans as overweight dumb flag-waving patriots with a burger in one hand and a gun in the other. It’s not far off to say that Homer Simpson and Stan Smith are the Russian idea of the "typical American family."

I am neither Russian nor American, calm down :)

Sounds like something Russian girls would dream about?

If not, you wouldn`t stay here ;) But you are absolutely right. Their (your?) dreams are not about overweight dumb old farts. They are about their passports basically and new opportunities.

Open your eyes and check out how many Russian women these days attend ivy league universities.

Yeah, I have once heard of one who supposedly attended "ivy league universities" as you wrote. Fernando Alonso consorted with her but very quickly shifted gears - as it turned out later she was a high-class prostitute. Funny :) I am eager to know which ivy league universities teach that. Can you give me a clue?)

Amora
04-02-2015, 13:52
Why should I calm down? I hate racist bastards. And am always at awe how you people survived the Nuremberg trials.

Just to get things straight, I am not Russian, am happily married, have a kid and a so-not-Russian passport. So give your crazy suggestions a rest.

As for "new opportunities", as you put it. I agree - many people want to immigrate from Russia. But there are so many options available to them - like the Australian SOL or Canadian NOC. Immigrating to the EU is even easier.

If Russian girls want to marry expats, its only because there are too few men for everyone available in Russia and some of the available ones are drunken f-ckwits. Not at all because they are prostitutes. Well, at least not all of them anyway.

FatAndy
04-02-2015, 14:15
:emote_popcorn:

What a chauvinist!!! :vader:
Yes, he's a male chauvinist pig (C). :verycool:

Yaks
04-02-2015, 14:24
If Russian girls want to marry expats, its only because there are too few men for everyone available in Russia and some of the available ones are drunken f-ckwits.

how dare you make such racist comments about Russian men! It's illegal.

Amora
04-02-2015, 14:36
how dare you make such racist comments about Russian men! It's illegal.

I said some russian men only :D possibly snowdrift. It has been suggested by AstarD that he is Russian.

snowdrift
04-02-2015, 14:37
some of the available ones are drunken f-ckwits. Not at all because they are prostitutes.

According to my observations it is the other way round and you just confirm it :) Shalom! :idea:

Uncle Wally
04-02-2015, 14:42
I said some russian men only :D possibly snowdrift. It has been suggested by AstarD that he is Russian.

She tends to lie alot and talk about things she knows nothing about but what do want from fat Americans.

Amora
04-02-2015, 14:57
snowdrift, I suggest you take a course in English to get your tenses right. Otherwise your accusations sound funny. I cant help it.

And please don't use Hebrew. People might get the impression that all Israelis have IQ similar to yours. Which is not the case, thankfully.

FatAndy
04-02-2015, 21:17
People might get the impression that all Israelis have IQ similar to yours. Which is not the case, thankfully.
Thankfully to Russian olim almost all having university education, despite of "state antisemitism"? ;) Never tell to Yaks, he knows The TruthЪ!
Shma, Isroel...

Yaks
04-02-2015, 23:17
Thankfully to Russian olim almost all having university education, despite of "state antisemitism"? ;) Never tell to Yaks, he knows The TruthЪ!
Shma, Isroel...

Don't need to ask me. I know far too many Russian Jews who convey their thoughts.

VicY
11-02-2015, 10:58
I have a friend, Russian who got US citizenship, came back to Russia married here had a kid, when he went to get them citizenship they said ok for his daughter and no to his wife. They didn't give a reason why but he thinks because her first husband was a gangster.

Oh god...What other interesing details are we missing there? :shame: :D

In my case I went to immigration in the states first. That's why I came back to Russia because it was there that they said it would take two years. That was 20 years ago, things could have changed. Why they could have given us a harder time? Because I was here maybe. They asked me the first time we went in why I was here and said I should go back home because it would take some time.

Well, as I said above, it might have been due to the fact that my friends and yourself were living in different countries. Also, it may vary from consulate to consulate. I am quite sure that the American consulate in Russia is not the same as the American Consulate in Hong Kong ;)
I've asked my friend and she confirmed that hers was a standard one-year tourist visa when they moved. She got her green card about 10 months after they moved to the States.

You see my wife came from a closed city and her mom worked making the bomb material for nukes. She has the highest awards they gave for her service to the USSR. She had just a year or two to be able to leave Russia ( she had to wait 16 years after she retired to get a passport )

Her job is certainly something that might have impact on her immigrating ability, however, coming from a so called closed city - hardly. I've got relatives that used to live in that kind of place - Severomorsk, near Murmansk - and none of them had trouble getting overseas visas. But then, they did not work on nukes, either ;)

Jas
11-02-2015, 13:56

Besides, you should know the 90s are over. Open your eyes and check out how many Russian women these days attend ivy league universities. Or earn so much more than you do. Its time to get over it.

Very good post. These western guys just think their back in the days of mail order brides and looming over u telling like this, "Take some. It's chocolate. Yum yum."

Uncle Wally
12-02-2015, 02:12
Oh god...What other interesing details are we missing there? :shame: :D

Well, as I said above, it might have been due to the fact that my friends and yourself were living in different countries. Also, it may vary from consulate to consulate. I am quite sure that the American consulate in Russia is not the same as the American Consulate in Hong Kong ;)
I've asked my friend and she confirmed that hers was a standard one-year tourist visa when they moved. She got her green card about 10 months after they moved to the States.

Her job is certainly something that might have impact on her immigrating ability, however, coming from a so called closed city - hardly. I've got relatives that used to live in that kind of place - Severomorsk, near Murmansk - and none of them had trouble getting overseas visas. But then, they did not work on nukes, either ;)

As I understand it your friend got in illegally, the reason for her visa was not the reason for her travel. The rules have changed over the years though.

I don't think they knew anything about my wife just that she was very good looking so must be up to no good. I'm not sure but the last time I talked with her she was working as the assistant to an ambassador and had diplomatic immunity so somebody trust her.

VicY
12-02-2015, 17:52
As I understand it your friend got in illegally, the reason for her visa was not the reason for her travel. The rules have changed over the years though.

I don't think they knew anything about my wife just that she was very good looking so must be up to no good. I'm not sure but the last time I talked with her she was working as the assistant to an ambassador and had diplomatic immunity so somebody trust her.

LOL, illegally? They submitted the paperwork together, she was there with her baby boy, his legal papers - birth certificate and the American passport that he had received a year before that - and her marriage certificate.
I don't know why she was issued with a tourist visa - god only knows what's going on in the heads of those damn bureaucrats! :D But she certainly didn't get in illegally...