PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Russia soon, need some info on mailing stuff ahead

Aucellus
29-01-2015, 00:23
Hello, I'm going to be moving to Russia here in the next month and a half or so. I have some items I have to mail as TSA would probably confiscate them, and they are very sentimental to me. Just a couple antique knives , as well as a compound bow w/ arrows.

I do not know anyone in Russia to mail them to, I'm just looking for recommendations. Would a hotel there allow me to have them mailed there if I was staying there?

snowdrift
29-01-2015, 01:26
Good question. Why do you need those antique knives here? If the knives are of certain dimensions they might be considered colds. How antique are the items? Probably, they have significant cultural value and in this case should be carried as museum objects. And your bow might pass for sports equipment.

Anyway, according to usual mail`s rules and common sense I guess private persons are not allowed to send by mail things such as guns, knives, drugs, explosive materials and so forth.

Aucellus
29-01-2015, 03:31
Good question. Why do you need those antique knives here? If the knives are of certain dimensions they might be considered colds. How antique are the items? Probably, they have significant cultural value and in this case should be carried as museum objects. And your bow might pass for sports equipment.

Anyway, according to usual mail`s rules and common sense I guess private persons are not allowed to send by mail things such as guns, knives, drugs, explosive materials and so forth.

One knife is about the size of a nepali ghurka or a kukri (13 inches), the other is an early 19th century short sword (19 inch blade, 6 inch handle), neither are close to museum objects, nor worth much more then $200 each. I would like to take them with me as I don't intend to come back to the US and they have sentimental value to me.

FatAndy
29-01-2015, 12:43
One knife is about the size of a nepali ghurka or a kukri (13 inches), the other is an early 19th century short sword (19 inch blade, 6 inch handle), neither are close to museum objects, nor worth much more then $200 each. I would like to take them with me as I don't intend to come back to the US and they have sentimental value to me.
I'd recommend you to contact TSA regarding carrying them well packed in a checked luggage. In RF it is allowed at least for internal flights. http://www.aeroflot.ru/cms/flight/safety_regulations

By mail... you may try, but get the parcel lost or stolen... although last couple of years Russian post works much better than before.

finnandcork
29-01-2015, 17:24
via dhl
then go to pickup

Aucellus
29-01-2015, 19:24
Great suggestions, thanks guys.

FatAndy
29-01-2015, 21:24
Also, contacting security dept(s) of airline(s) you plan to use for intl flights, via e-mail/phone/ with early arrival to the airport and performing bureaucracy ptocedures on the place (filling/signing papers, attaching printed photos if needed etc.) may help ;)

xp@
01-02-2015, 21:34
Hello, I'm going to be moving to Russia here in the next month and a half or so. I have some items I have to mail as TSA would probably confiscate them, and they are very sentimental to me. Just a couple antique knives , as well as a compound bow w/ arrows.

Why on earth - given the current political atmosphere and anti-Russia sanctions - would you want to import weapons from the US to Russia? You could make yourself the perfect candidate for arrest.

Aucellus
02-02-2015, 01:19
Why on earth - given the current political atmosphere and anti-Russia sanctions - would you want to import weapons from the US to Russia? You could make yourself the perfect candidate for arrest.

Not weapons, antiques and sporting goods lol.

xp@
02-02-2015, 22:35
Not weapons, antiques and sporting goods lol.

Under Russian law, they are presumed to be weapons.

And there are strict limitations on ownership/use/possession of weapons by non-citizens.

Amora
04-02-2015, 11:59
IMHO, it's not a big deal at all. I've travelled with an antique Japanese katana; with souvenir knifes and/or aboriginal weapons and it has NEVER been an issue.
I have never bothered to declare them and when asked just mentioned that its a souvenir I bought :ok: Its also worth mentioning, that I travelled with knifes in and out of Russia, to Switzerland, to Malaysia, UK (kitchen knifes) and NEVER has this been an issue. So many people are relocating and bringing knifes with them that I don't think customs is ever bothered.

On a more trivial note, if you are going to be all proper, you should declare them. The best way is to get some papers saying they are not of museum quality and of any value. As well as a paper saying they are not cold weapons, because they have not been sharpened properly. That way passing customs should be piece of cake. Good luck :thumbsup: