PDA

View Full Version : Books that make you dumb

TD
20-02-2008, 17:17
kind of interesting -->

Booksthatmakeyoudumb (http://booksthatmakeyoudumb.virgil.gr/)

bambina
20-02-2008, 17:43
If, I got it right, by dumber you mean that you find so much information in the book that you didn't know up to this moment?

Zhenulka
23-02-2008, 19:28
I wonder what the selection criteria were...

pjw
23-02-2008, 19:30
:bookworm::gorgeous::bookworm::gorgeous::bookworm:
Hey TD,
I have spent a long time looking at this thread and am pretty sure now I understand what it is about. Itīs an interesting thread as it made me think. And all my favourite books on the list. Not meaning all the books on the thread are my favourites, but that alot of my most loved are listed. That was nice to see, for whatever strange or vain reason. :inlove:

Korotky Gennady
24-02-2008, 01:14
Hey TD,
I have spent a long time looking at this thread and am pretty sure now I understand what it is about. Itīs an interesting thread as it made me think. And all my favourite books on the list. Not meaning all the books on the thread are my favourites, but that alot of my most loved are listed. That was nice to see, for whatever strange or vain reason. :inlove:

Hmm... pjw... but TD post the books that made you dumb though... I don't know maybe the word "dumb" has many meanings but it has not very good meaning also... Am i wrong ?

pjw
24-02-2008, 01:25
Hmm... pjw... but TD post the books that made you dumb though... I don't know maybe the word "dumb" has many meanings but it has not very good meaning also... Am i wrong ?
:bookworm:
Hey KG and good to see you back! :12115::12115::12115:
This is what I thought too, and what made me originally read the thread. Dumb is dumb, there is no double or multiple meaning. But the thread goes like this, if Iīm not mistaken. They did the following 2 things: first they asked the uni students to list their favourite books. Then they polled the results. Secondly they listed the unis in order of merit and found the corresponding "intelligent" books and "dumb" books. :bookworm:
Hereīs an example, a uni in Salt Lake City, Utah maybe gets a middle score, but as there are a large proportion of Mormons there the Mormon Bible is on the list. Get me? :bookworm:

embojangles
25-02-2008, 00:58
Interesting but pretty flawed list. It's measuring the correlation of "favorite" books to a university's average SAT scores. Whether the SATs are separated for math and verbal isn't explained, which could make a big difference. A lot of students (like me) might score VERY differently on the math and verbal, and typically, higher verbal scores are where the literature would be reflected. Plus, there's the whole ongoing debate about the validity of standardized testing, especially the SATs (which have recently been drastically changed).

Ultimately, I just have a hard time believing that there's a fair percentage of university-aged students who would choose A Tale of Two Cities as their favorite novel. Yes, this is personal taste, but also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, have you ever met a person (especially under the age of 22) who genuinely enjoyed the process of reading that novel????? Dickens got paid by the word, hence every sentence is about ten words longer than it needs to be.

pjw
26-02-2008, 15:22
Interesting but pretty flawed list.True, embojangles. The concept is very strange. Firstly, finding an average score for a uni and then correlating to their favourite books is a bit wild and far-fetched. But hey, Iīm fascinated to see 11 of my favourite books in the list. Not just books Iīve read once and forgotten, but 11 books that I really loved reading and have reread and reread. Amazing!
It's measuring the correlation of "favorite" books to a university's average SAT scores. Whether the SATs are separated for math and verbal isn't explained, which could make a big difference. A lot of students (like me) might score VERY differently on the math and verbal, and typically, higher verbal scores are where the literature would be reflected. Plus, there's the whole ongoing debate about the validity of standardized testing, especially the SATs (which have recently been drastically changed).True, embojangles. It depends very much on how they were tested, whether verbal or mathematics or whatever. Maybe they were asked to write a poem and they just couldnīt get any ideas, inspiration or find words that rhyme! Plus some really intelligent people do miserably at tests. Bobby Fischer - chess god - for example didnīt even finish school.
Ultimately, I just have a hard time believing that there's a fair percentage of university-aged students who would choose A Tale of Two Cities as their favorite novel. Yes, this is personal taste, but also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, have you ever met a person (especially under the age of 22) who genuinely enjoyed the process of reading that novel????? Dickens got paid by the word, hence every sentence is about ten words longer than it needs to be.Maybe they meant Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell. Yeah, maybe they just got the titles mixed up? In closing, I liked seeing alot of my special books listed! :iloveyou:

bambina
26-02-2008, 16:19
thank you bjw for explaining, the dumb :groan: word made me kinda doubt at first too, because there are really books that I have read and loved reading them ;)

embojangles
26-02-2008, 22:54
I guess now the question we all ask, which side of the book do our favorite books fall on? Although, the closer I look at the list, the more doubtful I become. So A Wrinkle In Time, a book that my Korean second-language sixth graders read, gets a higher mark than Hamlet?

Oh, and A Tale of Two Cities is often required reading in American high schools. I'm guessing it was one of those books that people saw and merely remembered having read (or pretended to read) so they checked it off for that reason.

MissAnnElk
26-02-2008, 23:06
I recently read Love in the Time of Cholera . . . not 100 Years of Solitude. And I adore Hemingway . . . so how dumb am I?