PDA

View Full Version : Address for Employers

rubyrussia
20-01-2015, 15:17
I'm curious to what Russian law says concerning an employer asking to know what my address is as part of the hiring process.

Often when I apply for jobs in Russia on the application form or during the interview, they ask me for my registration and / or actual residence addresses which for me is the same.

Honestly, I'm a little uncomfortable giving this out. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I'd rather my employers or potential employers not know where I live. I have no qualms with the government knowing. Obviously it's their business and they need to know where to find me.

I guess, I'm concerned especially about the companies that don't hire me. What do they do with my information? Sell it to third parties???

FatAndy
20-01-2015, 15:25
It's the standard practice since the depth of ages... when every big company/enterprise had военно-учётный стол , who needed these data.

Sell it to third parties??? - to forth ones!

tonytony
20-01-2015, 15:30
Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I'd rather my employers or potential employers not know where I live.

I think you'll find that in just about every country in the world - although I'm sure somebody will come up with an exception - it is normal to be asked what your address is when you apply for a job. It is also quite normal to put your address on your CV - or resume as Americans call it.

To be frank, I have been involved with a fair bit of recruiting over the years and if an applicant didn't put down where they lived I would probably wonder if they were trying to hide something.

rubyrussia
20-01-2015, 15:34
I think you'll find that in just about every country in the world - although I'm sure somebody will come up with an exception - it is normal to be asked what your address is when you apply for a job. It is also quite normal to put your address on your CV - or resume as Americans call it.

To be frank, I have been involved with a fair bit of recruiting over the years and if an applicant didn't put down where they lived I would probably wonder if they were trying to hide something.

I reckon it does look suspicious, but if you've ever been a victim of identify fraud, playing poker with your personal information seems fairly wise.

On second thought, I'd like to know where my future boss lives too and where that vacation home is as well. ;-)

Armoured
20-01-2015, 15:36

I agree that it would be weird not to have _some_ address. I have seen applicants put 'mailing address' on cv though and that didn't raise any suspicions.

For Russia, since being registered in one place and factually living in another is not uncommon (sometimes at different ends of the country), I don't think it's unusual for a company to ask for both of these. They're both relevant information.

americaninmoscow
21-01-2015, 11:04
they won't send you anything in the mail, so you can put whatever address you want.