PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Lied About Your Nationality?

MissAnnElk
19-02-2008, 13:12
Orion mentioned how some people may automatically dislike him because of what is printed on his passport.

Have you ever lied about your nationality? I don't mean at Immigation, but in a social setting. For example, I have let people think I'm Canadian in order to avoid yet another tiresome discussion of my country's flaws (real and imagined). I didn't say "I'm Canadian," but I was vague or did not correct a misconception right away.

Albertina
19-02-2008, 13:16
Nationality - no, age - yes!
When I was 30, I thought it was way too old and was saying I'm 27.

Natkin
19-02-2008, 13:16
I never lied. But people never guess my nationality. It is a game for me - when asked where I am from, I suggest them to guess. Of course, I tell them later that I am a Russian, but it is damn hard for them to beleive.

Sometimes I am proud of my country. Sometimes I am mad at it. But it is mine!

(just remembered a face of bartender in a hotel with all-in package, when I ordered coffee in the bar, and told him I am Russian. He couldn`t beleive that a Russian can order coffee, when he/she can have a free vodka!!!)

Miracle77777
19-02-2008, 13:20
Orion mentioned how some people may automatically dislike him because of what is printed on his passport.

Have you ever lied about your nationality? I don't mean at Immigation, but in a social setting. For example, I have let people think I'm Canadian in order to avoid yet another tiresome discussion of my country flaws (real and imagined). I didn't say "I'm Canadian," but I was vague or did not correct a misconception right away.

Thanks for nice question.....
NO......
I had not lied about my nationality....
More than that - I always point out on my heritage, because, for example here, in Russia, all Asians are similar for people.....
So - they do not cared much what is right - Chinese, Korean, Japan, or Uzbek, or whatever....

I am proud of my roots.....and hope will never be in a such situation when I will need to cover this fact....or avoid to mention.....

However - Never say never......:o

:11721: :11721: :11721:

MissAnnElk
19-02-2008, 13:20
Nationality - no, age - yes!
When I was 30, I thought it was way too old and was saying I'm 27.

Ha! When I was in grad school and teaching the undergrads, I used to say I was older than I really was because some of them were older than I was!

I don't do that anymore. Although I got confused last year and accidentally added a year to my age for a few months (I guess that was an official Senior Moment, eh?). I was thrilled when I figured it out. How sad is that?

Miss O
19-02-2008, 13:26
ha!
often in the USA. TO stupid boys, which was asked me - are u french? bulgarian?spanish? i always answered - yes.
Also 2 months ago me and my friend was walking by Moscow and talked on english, like we are foreigners. Some of pedastrians believed us.

turkgida
19-02-2008, 13:40
... I never lied. But people never guess my nationality. It is a game for me - when asked where I am from, I suggest them to guess ...

Same here Natkin ;)

Most common succession of guesses: French! no? then Italian! :9451: ok then Greek! oohh, u'r Spanish?:9451: Douh!!!

LUV this game :D :D

bambina
19-02-2008, 13:58
I haven't lied about my nationality, I am proud to be who I am, though sometimes when I said what is it or where I am from (not the same with nationality) :9451: some people will start looking at you differently or even talking. Asking questions like you are an alien that they have never seen. Well, even where I lived before I still ahd those nationality delicacy or even obstacle at times. I think people are just tend to believe general info, which is sad. :9451:

Penelope
19-02-2008, 14:25
I voted no, but have remembered one time.

I was backpacking with Eurailpass with a couple of college friends in the summer of 1985. TWA Flight 847 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. While we were walking around Athens, some person actually came up to us and asked us in a rather hostile tone where we were from. The man in our group answered quickly for us "We're Canadians".

The really frightening thing was the reaction: "Oh. Ok, you can go then" :eek:

That's the one time I ever lied about my nationality, even indirectly. I wouldn't say so much that It's because I'm "proud" as much as I just think honesty is the best policy. I don't know enough about other countries to pretend to be from there. I do have one friend who always says she's from somewhere else, and has got caught out in her lies.

I've had some very interesting conversations with Russians when I flag down cars and they ask where I'm from. Never hostile, just interesting, even if they don't like America.

SalTheReturn
19-02-2008, 18:11
I voted no, but have remembered one time.

I was backpacking with Eurailpass with a couple of college friends in the summer of 1985. A plane had been hijacked from Athens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_847). While we were walking around Athens, some person actually came up to us and asked us in a rather hostile tone where we were from. The man in our group answered quickly for us "We're Canadians".

The really frightening thing was the reaction: "Oh. Ok, you can go then" :eek:

That's the one time I ever lied about my nationality, even indirectly. I wouldn't say so much that It's because I'm "proud" as much as I just think honesty is the best policy. I don't know enough about other countries to pretend to be from there. I do have one friend who always says she's from somewhere else, and has got caught out in her lies.

I've had some very interesting conversations with Russians when I flag down cars and they ask where I'm from. Never hostile, just interesting, even if they don't like America.

were you wearing flip-flops when backpacking? anyway did not expect you did that. thought you were a snobby girl.

hat off.

SalTheReturn
19-02-2008, 18:12
Lied about my nationality several times, especially in Moscow.

Though they were only half-lies because I would tell I was from the italian part of Switzerland.

turkgida
19-02-2008, 20:26
Lied about my nationality several times, especially in Moscow. Though they were only half-lies because I would tell I was from the italian part of Switzerland.

any motives:question:

Bels
19-02-2008, 20:30
Never lied :uk:

J.D.
19-02-2008, 21:51
I'm occasionaly Canadian when I just can't be bothered to be drawn into some argument.

When I was in Egypt I was imperssed at how nice the people were. They would aske where I was from and after I told them they would look like they were deciding if they would continue to be nice. After a couple of those I decided that I was Irish. I didn't think they could tell anything from my accent and I wasn't sure if being British would be any better, and Canadians don't go to Egypt.

TGP
19-02-2008, 22:26
Never. Why should I?

Bels
19-02-2008, 22:55
I'm occasionaly Canadian when I just can't be bothered to be drawn into some argument.

When I was in Egypt I was imperssed at how nice the people were. They would aske where I was from and after I told them they would look like they were deciding if they would continue to be nice. After a couple of those I decided that I was Irish. I didn't think they could tell anything from my accent and I wasn't sure if being British would be any better, and Canadians don't go to Egypt.

Stick to Canadian, the nice neutral country where everybody has forgetten.

Funny is;'nt it, but Canada is the second largest country in the world, yet nobody seems to hear much about them. They don't appear to influence the world in any way, except being nice.

Aleena
19-02-2008, 22:57
It is a game for me - when asked where I am from, I suggest them to guess.

Off-top
Last summer my friend and me were hitch-hiking around the Scandinavian countries. And once…

Sweden. Night. We stopped a car and asked for a lift and had 15 minutes talk with driver (in English, of course). Then he asked: «Well, and where are you from? «Try to guess!» «Poland???», - «No». «May be, Estonia?»,- «Сlose, but not». «So?»,- « We are from Russia!». Poor guy said: «Blin, tak vy po-russki govorite! A ya iz Chechni». = «Devil… You speak Russian! And I am from Chechnya». It was funny:)

turkgida
19-02-2008, 23:07
... Funny is;'nt it, but Canada is the second largest country in the world, yet nobody seems to hear much about them. They don't appear to influence the world in any way ...

sooooo true! isn't it curious we never hear about them in the news :snoring: always wondered, how on earth do they keep their neutral stand, like forever?

MissAnnElk
19-02-2008, 23:09
When I'm not sure if someone is Australian or Kiwi, I guess Kiwi because the Australians generally aren't offended (they are to NZ what the US is to Canada) and the Kiwis are so chuffed you got it right!

Wodin
19-02-2008, 23:34
Nope, I'm proud of where I'm from.

Albertina
19-02-2008, 23:47
sooooo true! isn't it curious we never hear about them in the news :snoring: always wondered, how on earth do they keep their neutral stand, like forever?

Second largest by what?! Number of trees or amount of snow? By territory perhaps (after the USSR collapse?!)

They only have 20+ Million people - it's less than half of Ukraine :-)

britpat1
20-02-2008, 02:50
I feel quite boring now. I have never lied about where I am from. Although, when I moved in St Pete's I caused a stir amongst the locals who thpught I was an American just because I spoke English!

But, they had asked my b'f who had told them that I am from England - that led to the local producty guy falling further in love with me. My b'f noticed.

Bels
20-02-2008, 12:01
Second largest by what?! Number of trees or amount of snow? By territory perhaps (after the USSR collapse?!)

They only have 20+ Million people - it's less than half of Ukraine :-)

It's a well known fact, Russia is still the largest country in the world, and Canada is the second largest. USA is third.

Bels
20-02-2008, 12:04
Wow!! is that right? 20 milion in Canada? And 60 million in that little country called Britain. I'm sure Britain would happily provide them with another 20 million people.

Albertina
20-02-2008, 12:06
It's a well known fact, Russia is still the largest country in the world, and Canada is the second largest. USA is third.

my question is by what? by terrotory does not really count...

Albertina
20-02-2008, 12:09
Wow!! is that right? 20 milion in Canada? And 60 million in that little country called Britain. I'm sure Britain would happily provide them with another 20 million people.

yeah and 130 million in the little island of Japan!

Square meters are not everything ...

kirk10071
20-02-2008, 12:17
Well, Bels, thanks for making me feel bad. I have always been a little sensitive about being American and knowing that my territory is smaller than Canada's. I know I am militarily stronger and I try to make up for it with personality and being "out there" and all, but deep down, I know that my territory is smaller than my neighbor's. Oh, Mrs. Kirk is very understanding, and she tells me "Kirk, really, you shouldn't obsess. It's what a country can DO with its territory that matters." She points out that America has a warm side and produces more output than Canada, even if, technically speaking, Canada has a bigger territory. "You're American," she points out, "and your territory is plenty big besides! Even bigger than China's, and I've been to China, believe me" ("don't ask," she hastens to add). But I know she's been to Canada, too, and I can't help noticing her glancing wistfully northward...

And bigger than India, I wonder, although I don't really want to know. And how should I measure, anyway? Am I allowed to include non-contiguous territory (such as Hawaii)?

It's all very subjective, Bels, and now I am feeling all insecure again. I will just tell everyone I am Canadian, I think. Size matters. Deep down, we all know it. Ask any Japanese.

MickeyTong
20-02-2008, 12:23
I've often been told: "Size doesn't matter".

Albertina
20-02-2008, 12:31
I've often been told: "Size doesn't matter".

No it doesn't, but only after a certain point .:nerd:

bambina
20-02-2008, 14:23
Kirk, don't be upset, one cannot have all, so it is even the biggest, the smartest, the most famous etc, so make your conclusions :)

SalTheReturn
20-02-2008, 16:35
Never. Why should I?

because western people are very stupid sometimes and still think a Muscovite is abroad because cant make it at home

but ill tell u a thing...when i tell my friends about 22yo girls hot and fluent in 3 languages and earning already a respectable 2000/3000bucks a month they all go crazy!!!

though if i was russian sometimes i would lie about my nationality

SalTheReturn
20-02-2008, 16:36
Nope, I'm proud of where I'm from.

yes and this is why wars occurs

SalTheReturn
20-02-2008, 16:38

in certain situation this equals to introduce yourself as a sexual tourist

turkgida
20-02-2008, 17:22
Lied about my nationality several times, especially in Moscow.Though they were only half-lies because I would tell I was from the italian part of Switzerland.

in certain situation this equals to introduce yourself as a sexual tourist

sorry, didn't know swiss=sexual in moscow.

actually in other places, the italian men are the ones known to be sexual... and romantic... and handsome

never heard nothing about the swiss though. has anyone?

SalTheReturn
20-02-2008, 18:46
sorry, didn't know swiss=sexual in moscow.

actually in other places, the italian men are the ones known to be sexual... and romantic... and handsome

never heard nothing about the swiss though. has anyone?

is english your first language? coz you seem not to get it

in certain situation to say you are italian equals to sound as a sexual tourist

kirk10071
20-02-2008, 18:50

English is MY first language and I didn't know that. We learn something new from the forum all the time. In what situations would that be?

turkgida
20-02-2008, 19:07
Lied about my nationality several times, especially in Moscow.
Though they were only half-lies because I would tell I was from the italian part of Switzerland.

A-haaaa! So you're a Swiss???

p.s. either you didn't know the difference between "location" and "country of origin" when creating your public profile, OR you wanna sound "sexual" to forum members as well
:mml: :mml: :mml:

SalTheReturn
20-02-2008, 19:15
A-haaaa! So you're a Swiss???

p.s. either you didn't know the difference between "location" and "country of origin" when creating your public profile, OR you wanna sound "sexual" to forum members as well
:mml: :mml: :mml:

or either you are being purposely incapable of understanding

PS. Dear Sir/Madam,
it was the kind of situation you are out on the pull and telling you are italian yes may constitute an advantage but sometimes it is automatically translated by the other sex as "this guy is a pig"

Benedikt
21-02-2008, 16:49
and so shows my avator. :hooray:
while i have left 36 years ago and never been back (not ocunting vacations of course or visits..) i always will be an austrian. no better country in the world and an easy passport,to get into nearly any country without visum (russia the big exception...)

adilkayani
28-03-2008, 19:30
I Love my country and sincerely believe that I belong to a noble nation but I never tell anyone in Russia where I am from. First of all because of on Russian media a lot wrong propaganda has been going on about my country so I don’t want to indulge myself in any kind of political discussion.
But there is no doubt that life for Americans and Europeans is much easier. Russian people like rich people, that’s why they are friendly with them.

I have seen “FEW” totally misfit Europeans and Americans for all kind of activities but they are holding good jobs in Russia. I would say They are very lucky, they could not work more than a janitor in their own countries.

Sometime when I lie to Russian people that I am American They become very nice with me. But when I tell them I’m from Africa, They don’t like it. I remember once few guys asked me on the road “Where I’m from? I lied and I told them I’m from Africa “they said please go from here we don’t like Naggers (Although I'm not black at all). Then I lied again No I’m from USA, They smiled and started shaking hands with me. (Might is Right :)) God Bless America :) Funny! isn’t it?

Penelope
28-03-2008, 19:34
I Love my country and sincerely believe that I belong to a noble nation but I never tell anyone in Russia where I am from. First of all because of on Russian media a lot wrong propaganda has been going on about my country so I don’t want to indulge myself in any kind of political discussion.
But there is no doubt that life for Americans and Europeans is much easier. Russian people like rich people, that’s why they are friendly with them.

I have seen “FEW” totally misfit Europeans and Americans for all kind of activities but they are holding good jobs in Russia. I would say They are very lucky, they could not work more than a janitor in their own countries.

Sometime when I lie to Russian people that I am American They become very nice with me. But when I tell them I’m from Africa, They don’t like it. I remember once few guys asked me on the road “Where I’m from? I lied and I told them I’m from Africa “they said please go from here we don’t like Naggers (Although I'm not black at all). Then I lied again No I’m from USA, They smiled and started shaking hands with me. (Might is Right :)) God Bless America :) Funny! isn’t it?:bird: You think all Europeans and Americans are rich? :neiner: And that those of us here couldn't get jobs as anything but janitors in our home countries? :bomb:

adilkayani
28-03-2008, 19:43
Read Carefully "Idiot" :iloveyou: I said "FEW"

Penelope
28-03-2008, 19:51
Next time write more carefully "idiot" :iloveyou: because if that's what you meant, you should have said "I have seen only a few Europeans and Americans that were totally misfit for all kind of activities, but are nevertheless holding good jobs in Russia. I would say these are very lucky, they could not work more than a janitor in their own countries.

SalTheReturn
28-03-2008, 20:00
Next time write more carefully "idiot" :iloveyou: because if that's what you meant, you should have said "I have seen only a few Europeans and Americans that were totally misfit for all kind of activities, but are nevertheless holding good jobs in Russia. I would say these are very lucky, they could not work more than a janitor in their own countries.

Penelope these days something wrong with you

her speech was ok, once again you are projecting

Penelope
28-03-2008, 20:07
...But there is no doubt that life for Americans and Europeans is much easier. Russian people like rich people, that’s why they are friendly with them. Clearly, adilkayani is saying that all Europeans and Americans are rich, which is why Russians like them.

Stop being a fascist, Sal, and telling me what I should understand from someone's language. If that's what he wrote, that's what he wrote. His words in my language. If I wrote poor Italian, which you could question the meaning of, and I told you to "read it again, idiot, I clearly said this," I think you could justifiably take offense.

Transparent Theatre
28-03-2008, 20:09
In Serbia I claim to be Irish. It's better than being British there. Not all the bombsites have yet been cleared, even in the centre of Belgrade :(

Bels
28-03-2008, 20:11
In this case I go for Penelope, the post writer has no idea what life is all about in Russia. The post writer is like you sal, as you have no idea either about this country. You have to be here and have some perspective of this country. If you don't live here, your opinions stick out like a sore thumb.

There you are another phrase with stick, my wife loves my phrases :)

MissAnnElk
28-03-2008, 20:14
her speech was ok, once again you are projecting

She is a he.

easy_driver
28-03-2008, 21:50
I would never lie about my native country.
I am Dutch and d... proud of it. :D

Bels
28-03-2008, 22:16
I think most of us are proud of our nationality, and looking at recent posts I think the Brits might be getting out numbered Brits here. I remember Ezik stating that he feels rather lonely here, not communicating in Dutch. Well there are a few here now :)

Time for another more poll, although if everyone participates? There are more Brits here now than any other nationality as expats.

And to keep on topic, I can't think of any Brit who would have e a desire of hiding their nationality. You leave my passport alone they might say :)

Wodin
08-04-2008, 00:38
And to keep on topic, I can't think of any Brit who would have e a desire of hiding their nationality. You leave my passport alone they might say :)

Too bl**dy right Bels. I have lived in countries where Britain was not exactly flavour of the month, but I never ever even thought of claiming to be Irish for instance. It's to do with pride and self awareness. Those who did not like it either took a hike, got fired if they were my employees and made their dislike too evident, or did not get tipped if they were service providers.

Judge
08-04-2008, 11:53
Never lied ...

Judge
08-04-2008, 11:59
Ooops sorry,just told a lie, I did lie once here in Russia..it was to get into a museum...:nut::nut::nut:

AndreyS
08-04-2008, 12:00
I did lie once here in Russia..it was to get into a museum...:nut::nut::nut:

Oh, it's white lie! ;-)

AndreyS
08-04-2008, 12:03
Ooops sorry,just told a lie, I did lie once here in Russia..it was to get into a museum...:nut::nut::nut:

Were British not allowed in that museum? ;-)))

Judge
08-04-2008, 12:17
Were British not allowed in that museum? ;-)))

Nah, only that I would have to pay extra,my wife said shut your mouth and pretend to be russian,so I started to talk russian to the woman at the ticket booth in my moscowvite accent:11215::11215:,I only said dva bilet,the woman smiled at me..

AndreyS
08-04-2008, 12:31

kapione
08-04-2008, 16:36
Never !!! I am proud to be an American.... I didnt vote for GWB

Korotky Gennady
09-04-2008, 03:09
I don't lie and I will not do it never becoz I am russian. And shame on those who lie about it becoz why should one lie about his (her) nationality at all ? There is no bad nationality in the world, there are only some bad people here...

Korotky Gennady
09-04-2008, 03:14
Funny is;'nt it, but Canada is the second largest country in the world, yet nobody seems to hear much about them. They don't appear to influence the world in any way, except being nice. bels... don't forget... Faritova lives there !

Korotky Gennady
09-04-2008, 03:15
any motives:question: no motives... just for fun

Korotky Gennady
09-04-2008, 03:20
I've often been told: "Size doesn't matter". not sure

Korotky Gennady
09-04-2008, 03:22
if i was russian sometimes i would lie about my nationality I'm happy that you aren't

Korotky Gennady
09-04-2008, 03:27

Please, don't think about all russian people in that way

Korotky Gennady
09-04-2008, 03:32
Sometime when I lie to Russian people that I am American They become very nice with me. But when I tell them I’m from Africa, They don’t like it. I remember once few guys asked me on the road “Where I’m from? I lied and I told them I’m from Africa “they said please go from here we don’t like Naggers (Although I'm not black at all). Then I lied again No I’m from USA, They smiled and started shaking hands with me. (Might is Right :)) God Bless America :) Funny! isn’t it?

SO WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU FROM !?? :confused1::eek:

Korotky Gennady
09-04-2008, 03:39
I think the Brits might be getting out numbered Brits here.

bels, is it the english language ?

pullar
09-04-2008, 21:00
I used to pretend I was Russian whenever I was buying a rail ticket - can't remember exactly when, but you had to be Russian in order to get a ticket at the station. They asked for your surname, so I said Okir. They'd never heard of it, then I had to spell, it, so I would reply O k i r myaghiiy znak. And the myagkii znak convinced them.

Katrine L
09-04-2008, 21:14
I used to pretend I was Russian whenever I was buying a rail ticket - can't remember exactly when, but you had to be Russian in order to get a ticket at the station. They asked for your surname, so I said Okir. They'd never heard of it, then I had to spell, it, so I would reply O k i r myaghiiy znak. And the myagkii znak convinced them.

Strange, why have they refused to sell a ticket to non-russian?:9456:

pullar
09-04-2008, 22:35
Strange, why have they refused to sell a ticket to non-russian?

Because at whatever period it was, whether pre-collapse of CCCP, or just after it, foreigners could not buy rail tickets at stations, only at some agency or other, and also it cost more. So as long as you could convince them that you were Soviet, from somewhere in the huge country, they were happy.