PDA

View Full Version : Do you need students? Are you good?

Will
19-02-2008, 09:36
Ok, so I'm an English teacher, been at it 10 years here and have a good client list through word of mouth. But being a bit domesticated I lost touch with the ex-pat scene. Now I find I have this terrible problem of turning people away and not being able to refer them to other teachers.
The few other folks I know in teaching right now are new to the game or unprofessional or unreliable and I am wary of referring serious students to people who will mess up.
I don't know if this is covered here somewhere in this section of the forum, but I have been thinking an email network for professional teachers would be a blessing, I don't want to refer people to schools, but if there are serious teachers out there who could use high paying students then pm me.
I'm sure we all get students who just can't be slotted into schedules or who are in the wrong part of the city or who are wrong for whatever reason.
Answers on a postcard to the usual address, or pm as you prefer.
Same goes for translating work or copy editing.
Setting up some kind of network would benefit everyone.
Or maybe this could be an aspect of the club Kira Hagen is setting up.

kira_hagen
25-02-2008, 01:53
Or maybe this could be an aspect of the club Kira Hagen is setting up.

Shuffling around students we can't schedule is one of the things we talk about every meeting, actually. The next one is on the 2nd at 6 pm between Beleruskaya and Mayakovskaya. There was some talk at the last meeting of a location change (to next door at Help Bar). I'm writing a post now to check people's opinions on that.

Kira

Bels
25-02-2008, 09:36
There have been many attempts on this subject of teachers grouping together for various reasons reasons. And one of these reasons is what you state, a group or network of teachers of various areas and skills etc seeking students and people of different areas and requirements.

By getting together here on on established forum such as expat.ru we could sort these matters out. We must remember the teachers that are here this year won't be the same teachers will be here next year. We need to work from a solid base to cope with variance of teachers.

For example I'm only interested in pupils or students coming to me in my classroom. And I am 25km west of Moscow's nearest metro. I also have a preference of children groups. I lose out on many enquiries due to my location and refusal to go to peoples homes.

How do you all get on in the Summer, do you find a loss of demand from students. Is there any way of solving this problem?

IraM
25-02-2008, 14:33
How do you all get on in the Summer, do you find a loss of demand from students. Is there any way of solving this problem?

I partly agree there is a loss of demand from students in summer if your target is kids/schoolchildren/students. If you teach adults - I don't think it is a big problem. In my case the proportion is about 75% adults to 25% teens/students - so normally I don't face with a big gap in my schedule in summer. Besides, I am used to spending half a week at dacha and half a week in Moscow from May till mid September so (like trains!) I have my 'summer schedule': I work only 3-4 days a week with 4-5 adult students per day coming to my place.

remart
01-03-2008, 20:24
Hi, Kira. You wrote: The next one [meeting] is on the 2nd at 6 pm between Beleruskaya and Mayakovskaya. Where exactly is the meeting? At a cafe? And Will, I've been at this (teaching EFL) for ten years, professional, but new to Moscow and looking for students. :)

IraM
01-03-2008, 20:39
Where exactly is the meeting?

Please see Map in Kira's thread Teachers' Meetup - move to Help Bar.

alhob
03-03-2008, 18:01
Hi all ,

I am an arabic teacher . I have many students in Moscow . I worked many years ....i had my Master in Pedagogy ...It is not easy to lern arabic language without culture . I try to tach language with culture because each word in arabic keep an cultural meaning !

What about you ?

Kind regards

ALHOB

Bels
03-03-2008, 18:24
Hi all ,

I am an arabic teacher . I have many students in Moscow . I worked many years ....i had my Master in Pedagogy ...It is not easy to lern arabic language without culture . I try to tach language with culture because each word in arabic keep an cultural meaning !

What about you ?

Kind regards

ALHOB

Am I right in stating that Arabic is the most difficult language in the world? Above Russian and Chinese? Is there a strong demand in learning Arabic, my guess for selling career in the oil business? That's just a guess, but I would like to know for what your students are learning Arabic.