PDA

View Full Version : Temporary outage of the forum 14/1/2014

ezik
11-01-2015, 23:41
Dear all,

Happy new year to you all.

At Expat.ru, 2015 is to be the year of improvements. The main site will get an overhaul, we may move forum platforms, but first and foremost we are moving to a server/ISP that better meets our needs, especially when in comes to responsiveness of our website.

We are in the process of testing our new infrastructure and as things look good, we expect to move servers on Wednesday evening, 14th of January.

During our move, we will block the forum temporarily. This is to make sure that now new posts are lost. We apologise for the inconvenience, and we're looking forward to being on an environment that serves our needs (and yours) better.

The definitive date, time and duration of our "migration window" will be announced on Monday or Tuesday.

TolkoRaz
12-01-2015, 00:45
Dear all,

Happy new year to you all.

At Expat.ru, 2015 is to be the year of improvements. The main site will get an overhaul, we may move forum platforms, but first and foremost we are moving to a server/ISP that better meets our needs, especially when in comes to responsiveness of our website.

We are in the process of testing our new infrastructure and as things look good, we expect to move servers on Wednesday evening, 14th of January.

During our move, we will block the forum temporarily. This is to make sure that now new posts are lost. We apologise for the inconvenience, and we're looking forward to being on an environment that serves our needs (and yours) better.

The definitive date, time and duration of our "migration window" will be announced on Monday or Tuesday.

Lost or not lost? ;)

Great News Yozhik - Thanks for the hard work and the investment! :)

TolkoRaz
14-01-2015, 00:16
Any update on the planned outage?

ezik
15-01-2015, 15:10
Well, we tested our new server and the machine itself is fine. :) And the main site works fine on it.

However, we found out that migrating the forum is not possible, due to the PHP version on the new server: it's "too new" for our vBulletin version. Or, rather, our vBulletin version is way too old and the PHP version on our server, too.

So, as they say: the operation was successful, the patient died. So, we're not switching YET.

I'm not too unhappy, because the circumstances basically force us to finally perform a dearly needed modernization of the forum. So, when we move the forum, it will include new forum software.

Based on earlier suggestions by some forum members, we're now checking out PHPBB. It's free, powerful, and probably doesn't have a bad impact on functionality. As a second option, we are considering an upgrade to vBulletin 5, but it seems like exactly these kinds of upgrades made forum managers run away from vB and go for phpBB.

In the next two weeks, I may ask for volunteers to help me test the new forum.

Jas
15-01-2015, 15:12
This is pathetic. How come we got 2 suffer this every 5 minutes?
Please don't change anything especially layout and colors and design cos I don't like changes and can't get use 2 anything what's changed. I hate when stuff changes.

AstarD
15-01-2015, 15:23
It's a complete, racist, injustice, Jas. You should definitely ask for your money back.

Benedikt
15-01-2015, 18:26
It's a complete, racist, injustice, Jas. You should definitely ask for your money back.

everyone is happy as cheese cake..:11629:

Uncle Wally
15-01-2015, 22:11
Please don't change anything especially layout and colors and design cos I don't like changes and can't get use 2 anything what's changed. I hate when stuff changes.

I like changes! Specifically sox and underwear changes.

TolkoRaz
15-01-2015, 22:12
Well, we tested our new server and the machine itself is fine. :) And the main site works fine on it.

However, we found out that migrating the forum is not possible, due to the PHP version on the new server: it's "too new" for our vBulletin version. Or, rather, our vBulletin version is way too old and the PHP version on our server, too.

So, as they say: the operation was successful, the patient died. So, we're not switching YET.

I'm not too unhappy, because the circumstances basically force us to finally perform a dearly needed modernization of the forum. So, when we move the forum, it will include new forum software.

Based on earlier suggestions by some forum members, we're now checking out PHPBB. It's free, powerful, and probably doesn't have a bad impact on functionality. As a second option, we are considering an upgrade to vBulletin 5, but it seems like exactly these kinds of upgrades made forum managers run away from vB and go for phpBB.

In the next two weeks, I may ask for volunteers to help me test the new forum.

Yozhik, I have not got a clue what you are describing, but thanks to you and the Owners for the continued intent to keep us modern and alive :)

Uncle Wally
15-01-2015, 22:19

Did you take an extra sarcastic nasty pill today?

I know trolling makes you feel better about yourself.

Uncle Wally
15-01-2015, 22:22
Yozhik, I have not got a clue what you are describing, but thanks to you and the Owners for the continued intent to keep us modern and alive :)

Try young blonde women, same effect just 100 times stronger.

AstarD
16-01-2015, 09:54
Did you take an extra sarcastic nasty pill today?

I know trolling makes you feel better about yourself.I took three today. Watch out!

TolkoRaz
16-01-2015, 10:28
I took three today. Watch out!

Only 3? I thought that you had over-dosed! ;)

FatAndy
16-01-2015, 11:50
I like changes! Specifically sox
You mean swapping between feet? :-)

Uncle Wally
16-01-2015, 11:53
You mean swapping between feet? :-)

Yes how did you know and turning underwear inside out constitutes change.

FatAndy
16-01-2015, 12:35
Yes how did you know
I always do this till they become able to stand on a floor ;)

Uncle Wally
16-01-2015, 18:43
I always do this till they become able to stand on a floor ;)

Sox or underwear?

ezik
16-01-2015, 20:40
Jas, you may have noticed. We upgrade forums and the main site especially to annoy you. ;)

But, after we're ready, you will love us for it.

natlee
16-01-2015, 21:24
Try young blonde women, same effect just 100 times stronger. How young and how blonde :question:

Uncle Wally
16-01-2015, 23:55
How young and how blonde :question:

Just blonde enough.

23 seems like a good age, they are still young enough but old enough not to have to show them everything. Can be very boring to talk to but then who wants to talk.

Anyway why do you care? You'll be beating them off with a stick for years to come. Then when you think you're too old the 20 year old guys will be all over you. I bet young guy hit on you now!

Thanks for you new avatar. Looking good mama!

natlee
17-01-2015, 00:17
Then when you think you're too old the 20 year old guys will be all over you. Mmmmmm! :D

Jas
18-01-2015, 09:49
Jas, you may have noticed. We upgrade forums and the main site especially to annoy you. ;)

But, after we're ready, you will love us for it.

That's the sort of stuff god tells also.

Uncle Wally
19-01-2015, 16:50

As I understand it, around here he is god.

FatAndy and Judge are his angels.

FatAndy
19-01-2015, 16:58
You try to flatter me? :11088: Pls continue...

FatAndy
19-01-2015, 17:00
And Zaratustra told too...:12115:

ezik
21-01-2015, 21:21
Simple point is that we need to upgrade/change or this forum will cease to exist. We're exploring a few options, but the message is the same: upgrade/change. Otherwise, things will simply stop working.

Even God's janitor would take action.

Annoying Jas is simply a perk.

As I understand it, around here he is god.

ezik
21-01-2015, 21:22
(And now Jas is going to report this post)

ezik
02-02-2015, 20:51
Apparently, when things didn't go too well a dozen days ago, we tried again, with the help of some professionals and some proper planning.
The results look good and we're testing. If all goes well this time, I expect us to move to a new server and a fresh new forum (with all the old posts, don't worry) somewhere this week. This will be announced, though, about 24 hours before the event.

FatAndy
02-02-2015, 21:03
Apparently, when things didn't go too well a dozen days ago, we tried again, with the help of some professionals and some proper planning.
The results look good and we're testing. If all goes well this time, I expect us to move to a new server and a fresh new forum (with all the old posts, don't worry) somewhere this week. This will be announced, though, about 24 hours before the event.
Have two backup copies on different media plus third one somewhere in a modest cloud.. :rasta:

ezik
03-02-2015, 19:47
Backups galore in several places.
The new stuff looks OK, but some things are not working yet. It's 95% ready, I'd say, but the results of my testing today didn't give a green light yet.
What I can say is that the new site looks IDENTICAL. Jas will love me, finally.

FatAndy
03-02-2015, 21:28
Jas will love me, finally.
I'm the old voyeur, I must see it! :D

ezik
03-02-2015, 23:06
WHAT!?!?
You are actually picturing this?
I was referring to purely platonic terms.