PDA

View Full Version : economic situation in russia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Russian Lad
12-08-2015, 20:57
I just today returned from Spb, where I spent the past 10 days.. To be honest, a fair amount of tourists. Based on what I saw while out and about and at the hotel (major Int. chain) looks like a ton of Chinese and Indian visitors with a few westerners here and there.. If not eating in the hotel everyday, quite reasonable in terms of daily spend. Getting around town in an Uber 'Black Car' (Merc/BMW/Audi) for 400-500 rubles a pop sure is nice! In short, great for the tourists, not so great for the locals...

Saint Pete was visited by many tourists just before the collapse of USSR, there was a vibrant фарцовка, what was the use to the rest of the country? Zero. Besides, there are many other safer, warmer and cheaper countries to visit.

Uncle Wally
12-08-2015, 21:30
I am seeing almost no tourists at all, so I assume they have mistaken some stan countries ghastarbeiters for tourists. It would be weird to have a lot of tourists from the West under such conditions. It may not even be safe for them anymore, - they broadcast venomous anti-West programs on Rossiya-24 around the clock, it all reflects on the local mentality to a certain extent. So, I don't know what you are talking about. But even if there were tourists, again, the local Russians are suffering hard from the current situation. All the tourist gains would simply be pocketed by the selected few.

Try going out of the house! Sitting there by the window shaking in fear in that "slum" you live in you will nit see many tourist. Try going to the center because for August Moscow seems more crowded than usual.

Russian Lad
12-08-2015, 22:31
Try going out of the house! Sitting there by the window shaking in fear in that "slum" you live in you will nit see many tourist. Try going to the center because for August Moscow seems more crowded than usual.

I don't have money for the metro, the food in Piatorochka is too expensive, gotta save every ruble!

TolkoRaz
12-08-2015, 22:32
I was in St.P recently - The cruise ships were still there bringing plenty of European and US of A citizens who were enjoying Nevsky Prospekt, the Ermitage and all of the majestic Palaces. The Astoria hotel on Bolshaya Morskaya where I stayed was also full of West European tourists bringing their hard earned money to enjoy spending in St.P.

Russian Lad
12-08-2015, 22:43
Guess many are coming for their brides... Once again, there were many tourists in 1989. Saint Pete always has tourists this time of the year, but it is not an indication the economy is doing well. It is a big country and there are many other seasons.

nicklcool
13-08-2015, 05:21
Once again, there were many tourists in 1989. Saint Pete always has tourists this time of the year, but it is not an indication the economy is doing well.
RL you just said it may not be safe for the Western tourists. Yes the heightened tourism doesn't prove the economy is doing well but it does disprove your fear mongering that RF is an unsafe authoritarian regime

Judge
13-08-2015, 05:33
I am seeing almost no tourists at all, so I assume they have mistaken some stan countries ghastarbeiters for tourists. It would be weird to have a lot of tourists from the West under such conditions. It may not even be safe for them anymore, - they broadcast venomous anti-West programs on Rossiya-24 around the clock, it all reflects on the local mentality to a certain extent. So, I don't know what you are talking about. But even if there were tourists, again, the local Russians are suffering hard from the current situation. All the tourist gains would simply be pocketed by the selected few.

Of course you won't know what I'm talking about if you never go into your city centre,Carl was just there and says the opposite.
Most of your post is nonsense, the last sentence isn't even worth commenting on.

Russian Lad
13-08-2015, 14:19
Of course you won't know what I'm talking about if you never go into your city centre,Carl was just there and says the opposite.
Most of your post is nonsense, the last sentence isn't even worth commenting on.

Ok, then Carl and you know my city more than I do.:) I am repeating for those in a tank or maybe in the trenches - there have always been tourists in Saint Pete. Even before the collapse of USSR (and during it), especially during the summer time. It doesn't prove or disprove a thing. However, unlike Carl, I can compare with other years, and visually it looks like much less people. Also, there are tourists and there are tourists. By and large, most Indian tourists spend much less money than, say, American tourists.

Yes the heightened tourism doesn't prove the economy is doing well but it does disprove your fear mongering that RF is an unsafe authoritarian regime

No, it doesn't, see above.

Nobbynumbnuts
13-08-2015, 16:35
...a weaker ruble will benefit tourism and cheaper flights from Europe, especially ex London (Easy Jet) but some of that benefit will be mitigated by bad news coming from Russia.
Gotta say, tourism to Moscow and St. Pete's is a joke. Compare other beautiful cities in Europe like Prague, Amsterdam, Paris etc. Russian cities get a fraction of what they should..

Carl
13-08-2015, 18:07
I've spent at least a week each month in Spb over the past 10 years... and have stayed at the same two hotels (international chains) for the past 5 or 6 of those years. Hotel staff at both hotels tell me the number of western tourists are way down from previous years. Most of the western guests I've observed appear to be business travelers..more the type that spend all their money at the hotel as opposed to getting out and about and spending money all over town. Having said that, there didn't seem to be any shortage of Chinese or Indian hotel guests over the past couple of months.. And it did seem to me that there are plenty of people enjoying the sights of Nevsky Prospect at all hours of the day & night this past trip. A very large portion of whom seem to be Russian tourists from other regions.
Just calling it as I see it!

FatAndy
13-08-2015, 18:28
Ok, then Carl and you know my city more than I do.:)
It happens often with Muscovites, don't think SPB'ers differ much ;)

TolkoRaz
13-08-2015, 18:52
...a weaker ruble will benefit tourism and cheaper flights from Europe, especially ex London (Easy Jet) but some of that benefit will be mitigated by bad news coming from Russia.
Gotta say, tourism to Moscow and St. Pete's is a joke. Compare other beautiful cities in Europe like Prague, Amsterdam, Paris etc. Russian cities get a fraction of what they should..

Homosexual Stag Parties are unlikely to be popular in Russia! ;)

Nobbynumbnuts
13-08-2015, 19:12
Homosexual Stag Parties are unlikely to be popular in Russia! ;)

..i'm sure you'll get over the disappointment! :winking:

Alan65
13-08-2015, 20:22
Nobby...EasyJet are only one flight everyday from London and will soon pull out of the Manchester route....Ryanair have decided not to fly to St Petes

Nobbynumbnuts
13-08-2015, 21:49
Nobby...EasyJet are only one flight everyday from London and will soon pull out of the Manchester route....Ryanair have decided not to fly to St Petes

Thanks for the update. :smile:

nicklcool
13-08-2015, 23:39
RL, this (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FOOD_BANKS_IN_DEMAND?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-08-13-13-27-53) is why it's inaccurate to extrapolate the state of the economy from anecdotal stories. Can we really conclude that the USA's economy is on the downturn because of growing hunger/ "food insecurity"?

Russian Lad
13-08-2015, 23:47
RL, this (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FOOD_BANKS_IN_DEMAND?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-08-13-13-27-53) is why it's inaccurate to extrapolate the state of the economy from anecdotal stories. Can we really conclude that the USA's economy is on the downturn because of growing hunger/ "food insecurity"?

It is about free food distribution, your article. Tell me where I can pick up free food here in Saint Pete (not a borsch for hobos cooked from dead dogs and rats) - I will be happy to stand in a long line, I have already mentioned I miss lining up for food anyway.
You don't need to trust me, will you trust the official statement by the Russian Central Bank?
Here it is: http://cbr.ru/analytics/print.aspx?file=bank_system/din_razv_15_07.htm&pid=bnksyst&sid=ITM_1155
It says there: За январь-июль 2015 года кредитными организациями получена прибыль в размере 34 млрд рублей (за аналогичный период 2014 года прибыль составила 513 млрд рублей).
Translation: In January-July of 2015 the credit organizations (banks) received the revenue in the amount of 34 billion rubles (for the same period of 2014 the revenue amounted to 513 billion rubles).
That's a 15 times difference!!! Give me something remotely similar to the US economy, I will take a look.
Maybe you need to stop ridiculing yourself? I mean, if you are a real person. I would be deeply embarrassed by now by my level of incompetence.

nicklcool
14-08-2015, 00:17
You don't need to trust me, will you trust the official statement by the Russian Central Bank?
Here it is: http://cbr.ru/analytics/print.aspx?file=bank_system/din_razv_15_07.htm&pid=bnksyst&sid=ITM_1155
It says there: За январь-июль 2015 года кредитными организациями получена прибыль в размере 34 млрд рублей (за аналогичный период 2014 года прибыль составила 513 млрд рублей).
Translation: In January-July of 2015 the credit organizations (banks) received the revenue in the amount of 34 billion rubles (for the same period of 2014 the revenue amounted to 513 billion rubles).
That's a 15 times difference!!! Give me something remotely similar to the US economy, I will take a look.
Maybe you need to stop ridiculing yourself? I mean, if you are a real person. I would be deeply embarrassed by now by my level of incompetence.

RL, you're lucky, I think you are just as obtuse as you think I am. :smug:

Was the Russia post about deposits on hand, or bank revenue from interest due on loans? To me it seemed like the latter.
We're just picking and choosing our stats, and neither of us knows (does anyone?) which factors will have the most effect on the economy. We've been through this a hundred times: you think the high corruption levels, sanctions, and low oil prices will do the economy in;
I think those factors will have near term effect but in the long term the rising birth rates, higher military spending, higher workforce participation rates (esp. among women), lowering unemployment rates, lowering social welfare spending, and inevitable turnaround in fossil fuel prices (and BTW eventual removal of sanctions) will lead to a stronger RF economy. Another fun fact: despite Obama's idiotic comment about a year ago (paraphrasing: nobody is rushing to live in Russia), immigration levels have been and are on the rise (http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/russia-the-worlds-second-largest-immigration-haven-11053); again, is this a sign of a deteriorating economy??

So we're both picking and choosing our stats. Whose stats are more influential on the economy? Only time will tell I suppose. :clock:

Russian Lad
14-08-2015, 00:30
bank revenue from interest due on loans?

This fact tells me the economy is very sick, not sure how you interpret it.

Another fun fact: despite Obama's idiotic comment about a year ago (paraphrasing: nobody is rushing to live in Russia), immigration levels have been and are on the rise;

A lot of -stan countries' people have flooded in, that's all. Some to work, others to rob and to do other criminal stuff. Hardly an achievement. When I stroll around my Saint Pete ghetto, I have a feeling I am in Kyrgyzstan or Tajikistan. Now I even know how to say "prostitute" in their language, because invitations with phone numbers are painted pretty much everywhere on the asphalt.

higher military spending

It was disastrous for USSR.

lowering unemployment rates

That's present only in your head and in some wrong stats. Unemployment cannot be down in a country where lending revenues are down by 1500 (one thousand five hundred) percent within one year. Get real and trust the official statement by the Russian CB.

inevitable turnaround in fossil fuel prices (and BTW eventual removal of sanctions)

This _may_ happen, but time is of the essence. The clock is ticking.

nicklcool
14-08-2015, 00:52
forgot to mention, debt as a percentage of GDP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Russia) is quite low, too.
Russia's unemployment rate has been lowering steadily (https://data.oecd.org/chart/4l3C) since early 2009, per the OECD (pretty objective, right?) Or you only looking at unemployment for 2015 - are you seeing rising unemployment in these eight months and extrapolating?

Thank you for posting at least once without insulting me!!

FatAndy
14-08-2015, 09:17
It is about free food distribution, your article. Tell me where I can pick up free food here in Saint Pete (not a borsch for hobos cooked from dead dogs and rats) - I will be happy to stand in a long line, I have already mentioned I miss lining up for food anyway.
Прибыль - profit
Оборот - revenue
You mix basic economical terms ;)

penka
14-08-2015, 09:28
Прибыль - profit
Оборот - revenue
You mix basic economical terms ;)

Not so, unless my English has turned cr*p;)

Profit = прибыль
Revenue = доход

Revenue - all expenses = Profit

vossy7
14-08-2015, 10:25

yep , it was our favorite flight to see the kids and granddaughter.....last one is 10th Sept.....also to pick up some goodies.....:sad:

vossy7
14-08-2015, 10:32
Not so, unless my English has turned cr*p;)

Profit = прибыль
Revenue = доход

Revenue - all expenses = Profit

Well the US companies use the term "turnover" which would then translate to "Оборот"
Which is what you see on all the translated corporate slides in Russia for almost all Western companies , even non US !

TolkoRaz
14-08-2015, 10:35
Well the US companies use the term "turnover" which would then translate to "Оборот"
Which is what you see on all the translated corporate slides in Russia for almost all Western companies , even non US !

100% correct :book:

Russian Lad
14-08-2015, 12:42
Прибыль - profit
Оборот - revenue
You mix basic economical terms

Andy, better stick to your favorite sport of hating the Ukronazi, your teaching me English sounds like a rather nebulous and dubious endeavor.:)
I guess profit would be more correct than revenue though, but it was late at night and I wasn't paid for that effort anyway.:) On the other hand, revenue is usually cited in such reporting, but I didn't go into details in this case. It is still 1500% difference.
Оборот is indeed turnover.

FatAndy
14-08-2015, 13:59
My mistake - indeed revenue is доход. :)

nicklcool
14-08-2015, 15:46
My mistake - indeed revenue is доход. :)

And indeed banks earning less revenue on loan interest means Russians are borrowing less which is not necessarily a bad thing for the economy. I thought the whole stereotype is that Russians live within their means - they'll take public transport for years to save enough to buy the car in cash, vs. financing it? Whereas on the other hand you get Americans over-leveraging themselves and then BOOM 2008 financial crisis. :fridaysign:

Russian Lad
14-08-2015, 15:52
And indeed banks earning less revenue on loan interest means Russians are borrowing less which is not necessarily a bad thing for the economy. I thought the whole stereotype is that Russians live within their means - they'll take public transport for years to save enough to buy the car in cash, vs. financing it? Whereas on the other hand you get Americans over-leveraging themselves and then BOOM 2008 financial crisis. :fridaysign:

Why do you always stick Americans into the discussion of the Russian economy? The Russian minister Ulukaev said we can hardly compare those two since Russia's economy is less than 4% of the US economy.
Not a bad thing? It is a clear indication the economy, whatever is left of it, has taken an immense hit. People borrow in any healthy economy I know, take Germany, France or the GB. It is one of the fundamentals for the growth.

nicklcool
14-08-2015, 16:10
Why do you always stick Americans into the discussion of the Russian economy?

Because for quite some time in this thread the exchange rate of rubles to dollars has been the pillar of the argument that Russia's economy is tanking. Additionally, stop being facetious, we both know that comparative topics like GDP, military spending, education test scores, and overall economic health are only discussed in reference to other countries, on the international level.

Not a bad thing? It is a clear indication the economy, whatever is left of it, has taken an immense hit. People borrow in any healthy economy I know, take Germany, France or the GB. It is one of the fundamentals for the growth.

For the most part I agree but we can also agree that borrowing in the West is viewed accepted and practiced much differently than in the East. Anecdotally (and I'm sure the numbers show this as well) countries like Russia have people who do their consumer spending in cash vs. credit. Wasn't one of the first things VVP did to pay off Russia's external debts? I'm sure this drove the Western governments mad since all they do is borrow borrow borrow spend spend spend on the backs of their children and grandchildren (see Greece and the youth of America who are already suffering with chronic underemployment, living with parents, unable to earn as much, etc.)

BTW Thanks for not calling me a troll ;) See we can disagree but still be polite!

FatAndy
14-08-2015, 16:22
I thought the whole stereotype is that Russians live within their means - they'll take public transport for years to save enough to buy the car in cash, vs. financing it?
It depends on self-discipline, how desperate you use (existing or offered) credit instruments :)

Russian Lad
14-08-2015, 16:43
One well-known Russian bank has offered me 50 thousand rubles. Guess what the interest is? 25% per year! A daylight robbery.

Carl
14-08-2015, 19:57
https://fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net/rsrc.php/v2/y4/r/-PAXP-deijE.gif

This explains it all.. The economy..? Doing Fabulous..!!

nicklcool
15-08-2015, 03:25
Guess what the interest is? 25% per year! .
Sounds about right, this is an unsecured loan, right? Almost like a cash advance on a credit card in the USA, that APR will also be 18+ %. Without any collateral for the bank, the risk and therefore the APR shoots way up. Now daylight robbery, that's those title loan companies that have popped up all over the USA. They give you cash in exchange for your car's title as collateral, oftentimes the borrower loses his car. Of course it sounds predatory, but then again the borrower put himself in such a risky position as to need this cash so quickly with few strings attached :/

Fantastika
15-08-2015, 05:53
Why do you always stick Americans into the discussion of the Russian economy? The Russian minister Ulukaev said we can hardly compare those two since Russia's economy is less than 4% of the US economy.

The 2nd or 3rd most popular radio talk show in the US nowadays is Dave Ramsey, a Christian guy who espouses debt-free living. The typical caller will describe his debts, and how long it took to pay them off. "I had $60,000 in student loans, $16,000 in credit card debt, etc.,...it took 18 months to pay them off." Then Dave goes "3,2,1," and everyone yells "We're Debt-Free!"

I have had debt problems, too. It's a trap, where you are paying your creditors fro a long time and you get nothing in return for the good times you originally purchased with your credit card. Ask Greece, Cyprus or even the US about debt.

The Koran has it right when it talks about not allowing interest on loans. And Jesus made a good point, overturning the tables of the money-lenders.

Going into debt is certainly not "healthy." People, and countries, who borrow, are stupid. The only exception I have now is the mortgage I'm getting for my new digs, which is 3.75%.

In Russia, with the advent of easy "mortgages" and easy "credit," many people thought they were getting "free" stuff - big screen TV's, for example. Until the reality of 25% interest sinks in. And the reality of a 12% mortgage. Then, after they're stuck in the quicksand, they learn, the hard way, that debt is not a good idea.

The best idea Russia ever had was to pay off its foreign creditors, so it is now not beholden to Big Banks.

Fantastika
15-08-2015, 06:01
Sounds about right, this is an unsecured loan, right? Almost like a cash advance on a credit card in the USA, that APR will also be 18+ %. Without any collateral for the bank, the risk and therefore the APR shoots way up. Now daylight robbery, that's those title loan companies that have popped up all over the USA. They give you cash in exchange for your car's title as collateral, oftentimes the borrower loses his car. Of course it sounds predatory, but then again the borrower put himself in such a risky position as to need this cash so quickly with few strings attached :/

I keep getting offers from companies promising instant cash. The small print says the interest rate is 800%. Borrow $1000 at 800% interest and you will owe $trillions in 15 years! These offers are from companies based on Indian reservations, which are nominally independent entities. In essence they are foreign countries, not subject to US laws, so they can't be sued in a US court of law, and of course if you sued them on their reservation, their "judges" would laugh at you. Those companies can come after you, since US law allows their owners special status as "dual nationals," but you can't go after them.

Russian Lad
19-08-2015, 23:02
Dollar - 66, euro - 74.
Vitamins-deprived Russians jostling in a congested crowd for access to free apples, Saint Pete, downtown today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN869bzD6Po

Nobbynumbnuts
19-08-2015, 23:09
...i've been following the downward movement of the ruble for the last week. 70rub to the dollar could be hit in the next week or two. That would take us back to levels last seen in the crisis in Jan/Feb

TolkoRaz
19-08-2015, 23:12
...i've been following the downward movement of the ruble for the last week. 70rub to the dollar could be hit in the next week or two. That would take us back to levels last seen in the crisis in Jan/Feb

It is nowhere near the 100 Rubles to the US$ as gleefully predicted by this site's doom & gloom meister!

Russian Lad
19-08-2015, 23:15
It is nowhere near the 100 Rubles to the US$ as gleefully predicted by this site's doom & gloom meister!

This prediction came at a much lower CB interest rate. I admit, I didn't take its possible raise into account (because it is really senseless, it only prolongs the pain, under the circumstances), but you will see 100 eventually, and I think sooner than later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqCWUAa-zeY

Nobbynumbnuts
19-08-2015, 23:20

In someways things are different now. The Russian central bank has announced it's intention not to defend the ruble as vigorously (using hard currency reserves) as it has in the past. Who knows where it will bottom out..

Nobbynumbnuts
19-08-2015, 23:28
This prediction came at a much lower CB interest rate. I admit, I didn't take its possible raise into account (because it is really senseless, it only prolongs the pain, under the circumstances), but you will see 100 eventually, and I think sooner than later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqCWUAa-zeY

If the 100rub/$1 mark becomes a reality then it's far better for Russia for it to be reached over a period of time, in a managed fall rather than suddenly as we saw at the end of 2014 when it fell quickly from 44rub to 71rub to the $. The effects on the economy will be the same however..

I'm certainly not ruling it out.

Russian Lad
19-08-2015, 23:49
The Russian central bank has announced it's intention not to defend the ruble as vigorously (using hard currency reserves) as it has in the past

It might be nothing but a smokescreen - to burn less cash to support the ruble. We don't really know how deep this rabbit hole is.

If the 100rub/$1 mark becomes a reality then it's far better for Russia for it to be reached over a period of time, in a managed fall rather than suddenly as we saw at the end of 2014 when it fell quickly from 44rub to 71rub to the $. The effects on the economy will be the same however..

I'm certainly not ruling it out.

That's a bit masochistic, let me put it this way.:)

Nobbynumbnuts
20-08-2015, 00:00
....That's a bit masochistic, let me put it this way.:)

The point is that a sudden, sharp fall like 44rub to 71rub/$ (Nov.26 to Dec.17) is headline grabbing and produces panic. A slower devaluation over many months will be easier for the economy to absorb. In the longer term however the results will be the same..

Russian Lad
21-08-2015, 00:29
Regular Ecco shoes in Saint Pete shops - 10 thousand rubles... The monthly salary for some Russians... Cool.

Armoured
21-08-2015, 02:54
I forget, what were the terms of your bet?

Russian Lad
21-08-2015, 03:34

Actually I lost the bet, because it is still not 100. Well, I won two similar bets before, like I said, I didn't take the possibility of the interest rate raise into account - my mistake. But whether it is 100 this summer or some time later - it hardly makes any difference. The Euro is 76 already, the dollar - 68 and some regular Ecco shoes in shops would cost a Russian a fortune:).

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 10:54
Actually I lost the bet, because it is still not 100. Well, I won two similar bets before, like I said, I didn't take the possibility of the interest rate raise into account - my mistake. But whether it is 100 this summer or some time later - it hardly makes any difference. The Euro is 76 already, the dollar - 68 and some regular Ecco shoes in shops would cost a Russian a fortune:).

Why don't you explain why, if no one has the money to buy this expensive footwear, the shoe store is still open and doing business.

Russian Lad
21-08-2015, 12:32
Why don't you explain why, if no one has the money to buy this expensive footwear, the shoe store is still open and doing business.

The key word is yet.:) Let's see how they will be doing, say, in a year. Saint Pete is a big city though.

nicklcool
21-08-2015, 13:18

If Russia does well, he loses; if Russia's economy tanms, he wins. He loves his country but in a weird masochist sort of way.

nicklcool
21-08-2015, 13:23

Housing costs are low or nonexistent (no mortgage b/c you inherit soviet era housing from your fammily), low taxes, transportation costs are low b/c the system is very convenient and efficient so many don't need cars, and some utility costs (esp. heating/gas) are incredibly low. Also the Russian people are very skilled at living frugally and getting by on less, I guess the WWII shortages and defitsity of the 90s really ingrained in their collective psyche how to perservere through struggle.

nicklcool
21-08-2015, 13:29
....On the utility costs part, if you've never lived in Russia beyond being a tourist, you probably can't understand how incredibly cheap natural gas is. Even though it's minus 20 Celcius outside, in your apartment it's a toasty 75 farenheit, and your wife's godmother is drying clothes above the stovetop, also she never cuts off the stove, just leaves a little flame always running so she doesn't have to ignite it again. ...And her gas bill for the month is about 150 rubles!! Needless to say, first time I saw this I was blown away, given the typical $300gas bills we have in the DC area in winter :0

natlee
21-08-2015, 13:45
Actually I lost the bet, because it is still not 100. Well, I won two similar bets before, like I said, I didn't take the possibility of the interest rate raise into account - my mistake. But whether it is 100 this summer or some time later - it hardly makes any difference. The Euro is 76 already, the dollar - 68 and some regular Ecco shoes in shops would cost a Russian a fortune:). We've had good deals on Eccos for months here - ended up buying my man shoes here back in March/April because we had a) a better selection and b) a better price! :eek: The world has indeed gone mad.. :nut:

If Russia does well, he loses; if Russia's economy tanms, he wins. He loves his country but in a weird masochist sort of way. Must be winning tons on the lost bets! ;)

nicklcool
21-08-2015, 13:58
Regular Ecco shoes in Saint Pete shops - 10 thousand rubles... The monthly salary for some Russians... Cool.

We don't know for sure why clothing and other goods have always been exoribitantly expensive in Russia, but I bet it has something to do with their tax structure....remember I posted earlier that import taxes are incredibly high, which helps Russia keep other taxes relatively low. As a point of comparison, goods are so cheap in USA thanks to beneficial and low import tax arrangements with countries like China India and Mexico, but, the government has to get its revenue somehow, so other taxes pick up the slack.

RL this explanation doesn't fit your meme but you have to admit it sounds reasonable if not likely as the explanation for always high prices on consumer goods in Russia ::happyfriday::

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 16:44
Dollar - 66, euro - 74.
Vitamins-deprived Russians jostling in a congested crowd for access to free apples, Saint Pete, downtown today:
video=youtube;UN869bzD6Po]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN869bzD6Po[/video]

I thought it was OVIR in the morning. :)

I clicked on the next video,... is it also in St. Pete?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=30&v=Ne-0zc-pGr8

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 16:47
We don't know for sure why clothing and other goods have always been exoribitantly expensive in Russia, but I bet it has something to do with their tax structure....remember I posted earlier that import taxes are incredibly high, which helps Russia keep other taxes relatively low. As a point of comparison, goods are so cheap in USA thanks to beneficial and low import tax arrangements with countries like China India and Mexico, but, the government has to get its revenue somehow, so other taxes pick up the slack.

RL this explanation doesn't fit your meme but you have to admit it sounds reasonable if not likely as the explanation for always high prices on consumer goods in Russia ::happyfriday::

It just depends where you go shopping... if you go to the Mega-Mall, yes, you will pay through the nose...:)

Russian Lad
21-08-2015, 17:39
I clicked on the next video,... is it also in St. Pete?

Hard to say, but doesn't look like it.

Nobbynumbnuts
21-08-2015, 19:01
Well, the week finishes with the ruble at a smidgen under 69-1$ and oil having dropped to $46 a barrel. Where's the bottom? :winking:

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 19:20
The Dow Jones was down 350 yesterday and is tanking today, too. Finally the price of gold is going up - it's been on the upswing for the last couple of weeks. Maybe someone will buy my gold watches on Ebay, now...:)

If there is going to be a Wall Street surprise, it usually happens in September or October...

Silver is not gaining any traction...

Russian Lad
21-08-2015, 19:24
The Dow Jones was down 350 yesterday and is tanking today, too.

You do realize that if a crisis similar to 2008 hits the US Russia will be hit even more, don't you?

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 19:33
You do realize that if a crisis similar to 2008 hits the US Russia will be hit even more, don't you?

How do you figure that? Under the Zero-bama regime, the USSA has even fewer financial, trade and economic relationships with the USSR than it did under Busch.

Russian Lad
21-08-2015, 19:37
How do you figure that?

Just experience. Check out what was happening in Russia in 2008-2009 when there were problems in the US. Dollar is a global reserve currency, so whether you want it or not, it has a bearing on the rest of the world.

USSR

?

Nobbynumbnuts
21-08-2015, 19:46
The Dow Jones was down 350 yesterday and is tanking today, too. Finally the price of gold is going up - it's been on the upswing for the last couple of weeks. Maybe someone will buy my gold watches on Ebay, now...:)

If there is going to be a Wall Street surprise, it usually happens in September or October...

The Dow (and all major bourses) are being hit due to the slowdown in China. It's not affecting the US at the moment (GDP growth of 2.6% vs Russia -4.6%) but if it will if it's prolonged.

On the other hand, oil price (and therefore the ruble) are tanking because of slower growth in China. Russia will suffer more than most because of it's dependence on oil/gas and other commodities...

nicklcool
21-08-2015, 21:29
The Dow (and all major bourses) are being hit due to the slowdown in China. It's not affecting the US at the moment (GDP growth of 2.6% vs Russia -4.6%) but if it will if it's prolonged.

On the other hand, oil price (and therefore the ruble) are tanking because of slower growth in China. Russia will suffer more than most because of it's dependence on oil/gas and other commodities...

US investors also have no idea when to expect the long-promised rate hike: http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/21/us-markets-global-growth.html

And wow, oil drops below $40, and neither USA, Russia, or OPEC is dropping production: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-20/oil-heads-for-longest-weekly-losing-streak-since-1986-amid-glut
How long can this game of chicken last??

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 22:13

Market is in free-fall - down 430 with another 40 minutes to go. Down 5% in 2 days. How many $trillions is that. Ho-hum, from the media.

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 22:16
Down 480

Media: Obama has an ice-cream cone! US Army graduates first 2 women rangers!

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 22:34
USSR
?

It's a literary technique - similar-sounding words - "Alliteration" - "USSA-USSR," or "Betty Botter bought some butter"...

Also, it's close to reality, as most zombified Americans think "Russia = Putin = Hitler = USSR"

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 22:36
Bounced off minus 500...must be some computerized buying kicking in at that point.

FatAndy
21-08-2015, 22:41
US Army graduates first 2 women rangers!
Beautiful, equal rights and so on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANzC1B7fuqo - episode of Ответный ход (Reciprocal course?), Mosfilm, 1981

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 22:53
Beautiful, equal rights and so on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANzC1B7fuqo - episode of Ответный ход (Reciprocal course?), Mosfilm, 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wZ39aAhokQ

Nobbynumbnuts
21-08-2015, 22:54
US investors also have no idea when to expect the long-promised rate hike....

This will be a game changer for everyone when it happens. It will signal the end of 6 years of ultra low interest rates..

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 23:01
Dow down 529, NASDAQ down nearly 4% just today.

Nobbynumbnuts
21-08-2015, 23:11
Market is in free-fall - down 430 with another 40 minutes to go. Down 5% in 2 days. How many $trillions is that. Ho-hum, from the media.

...so Obama has given instruction that the US media can't report on a stock market correction?
You're as whacked out as Wally! :laughing:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/21/investing/stocks-market-lookahead-august-21/index.html?iid=hp-stack-intl

Fantastika
21-08-2015, 23:50
...so Obama has given instruction that the US media...

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/21/investing/stocks-market-lookahead-august-21/index.html?iid=hp-stack-intl

The story will change quickly...

What I meant was the media yawning over the kidnapping and murders of Christians in Africa and the Middle East by Islamo-fascist terrorist gangs. The Christian girls are repeatedly raped, then set up in brothels, so they can be raped every afternoon and evening and ISIS can use the money to buy more bombs to strap on the backs of children ordered to become "suicide bombers."

While these war crimes are occurring, Obama is slurping an ice-cream cone, Planned Parenthood is silent as a corpse, the Pope is mum, feminists are demanding free sex-change operations, and the Media is highlighting gay marriage and marijuana.

Fantastika
22-08-2015, 00:40
...so Obama has given instruction that the US media can't report on a stock market correction?

Who said that? Don't put words in my mouth.

Anyway, like I did say, the story is morphing quickly. "just a correction" "a mere reaction to other countries where their stock markets are temporarily off a few percentage points" "due to anxiety about interest rates." All of it being reported in the "everything is normal" tone of voice.

This may be the pre-tremor to the September earthquake.

Nobbynumbnuts
22-08-2015, 01:06
.......This may be the pre-tremor to the September earthquake.

..maybe, and maybe oil will drop to $40 pb and the ruble 100 to $1

Fantastika
22-08-2015, 01:18
..maybe, and maybe oil will drop to $40 pb and the ruble 100 to $1

Yes, it will be interesting.

US stock market lost $1.4 trillion in value this week. Gold is going up, but just a little, so where is the money going?

Chinese are scared of their stock market, so they are investing in US real estate, which is growing as you watch. I'm happy I'm buying a house next month, I will be able to laugh all the way to the bank as the value grows like a weed.

The US is paying 1% interest rate on its $20 trillion in debt. So, if as you say, the interest rate changes, then the US can not continue its biannual roll-over of this gi-normous debt at this low rate. If the rate was at 5%, the annual interest payment would balloon to $1 trillion a year, which would torpedo the US economy. So why are the eggheads at the FED giddy about raising the interest rate?

nicklcool
22-08-2015, 02:13
You're as whacked out as Wally! :laughing:

It's a bit more nuanced than that....As Chris Plante says, the media's most insidious power is the power to ignore. Fantastika is right that it's shameful how little press the PP videos are getting, or how little press servergate got until very recently. The MSM is on the Democrats' team! Maybe that's because mainly liberals become journalists, or maybe it is some conspiracy theory. Either way it's just as if not more outrageous as the "lack of press freedom" in Russia. President Obama calls out Fox news in press conferences, not even trying to hide his bias!

Russian Lad
22-08-2015, 03:14
Is there any way we can discuss the economic situation in Russia in the thread titled "Economic situation in Russia", instead of discussing the US?

fenrir
22-08-2015, 10:17
Is there any way we can discuss the economic situation in Russia in the thread titled "Economic situation in Russia", instead of discussing the US?

I agree. It's all misdirection to keep from discussing things such as 1 EUR = 78.5757 RUB. I'm taking at least one more trip to Russia this year and if the rate keeps plunging like this, I'll go out for meals and drinks a lot more than usual.

FatAndy
22-08-2015, 11:37
if the rate keeps plunging like this, I'll go out for meals and drinks a lot more than usual.
We knew you suffered a lot from the lack of going-outs in that prominent limitrophic state and did it as a courtesy especially for you. Enjoy. ;)

Russian Lad
22-08-2015, 11:53
limitophic

WTF is that, comrade? Limited? Limitrophe?

We knew you suffered a lot from the lack of going-outs in that prominent limitophic state and did it as a courtesy especially for you. Enjoy.

So, you are telling me we have thrown over 20 million of Russians, including women and children, below the poverty line in a hope to pamper to Western tourists such as Fenrir, so that they could go to our restaurants more often and eat and drink there on our behalf? It sounds a bit insane, don't you think so, comrade?

Saint Pete, two days ago, a new method to fight Western drinks (1.04-2.00):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFjL0_bX5U

FatAndy
22-08-2015, 12:00
So, you are telling me we have thrown over 20 million of Russians, including women and children, below the poverty line in a hope to pamper to Western tourists?
Yes. Everything for dear guests. Don't restrict them, Eastern ones are also in the game. :verycool:

Fantastika
22-08-2015, 18:43

I thought you said, a few posts back, whatever happens in US, in 2008, for example, has a profound effect on Russian economy... so yes, it's relevant.

Fantastika
22-08-2015, 18:50
WTF is that, comrade? Limited? Limitrophe?

So, you are telling me we have thrown over 20 million of Russians, including women and children, below the poverty line in a hope to pamper to Western tourists such as Fenrir, so that they could go to our restaurants more often and eat and drink there on our behalf? It sounds a bit insane, don't you think so, comrade?

The "poverty line" is an arbitrary figure. It has very little to do with one's actual situation. A bureaucrat sits in an office, and after input by sociologists, psychologists, economists and other pointed-heads, decides what the "poverty line" number should be. Somehow it is nearly always, every year, in the US, seems to be about 20%. It's all about behavior modification - the media-government-science complex. It's a pile of horse-puckey :)

Who is the wide dude in the red coat? A city official? Someone should tell him, "Step away from the supermarket." It's pretty obvious he spends way too much time there...:)

Russian Lad
22-08-2015, 23:12
I thought you said, a few posts back, whatever happens in US, in 2008, for example, has a profound effect on Russian economy... so yes, it's relevant.

So far it is nothing in comparison with 2008, in the US.

The "poverty line" is an arbitrary figure. It has very little to do with one's actual situation. A bureaucrat sits in an office, and after input by sociologists, psychologists, economists and other pointed-heads, decides what the "poverty line" number should be. Somehow it is nearly always, every year, in the US, seems to be about 20%. It's all about behavior modification - the media-government-science complex. It's a pile of horse-puckey :)

Who is the wide dude in the red coat? A city official? Someone should tell him, "Step away from the supermarket." It's pretty obvious he spends way too much time there...:)

He is a local celebrity:), many businessmen used to dress like that in the nineties. That's from a movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1cIcP9naFs

Fantastika
23-08-2015, 00:08
So far it is nothing in comparison with 2008, in the US.

He is a local celebrity:), many businessmen used to dress like that in the nineties. That's from a movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1cIcP9naFs

I'd hate to have the seat next to his on the airliner...but he probably gets two seats. :)

Russian Lad
23-08-2015, 21:13
I think dollar will cost 75+ this coming week, maybe even by Tuesday. Hurry to the obmenniks, dear patriots, it is still only 69, hohoho.:tongue: I am expecting a hectic Monday.

Nobbynumbnuts
23-08-2015, 21:23
I think dollar will cost 75+ this coming week, maybe even by Tuesday. Hurry to the obmenniks, dear patriots, it is still only 69, hohoho.:tongue: I am expecting a hectic Monday.

Yes, going to be an interesting week. Although i expect a correction at some point and the ruble to strengthen but then we should proceed downwards again..

Russian Lad
23-08-2015, 22:47
Yes, going to be an interesting week. Although i expect a correction at some point and the ruble to strengthen but then we should proceed downwards again..

The same here.

Nobbynumbnuts
23-08-2015, 23:09
The same here.

Let's see.
But more importantly, what will be the impact of a further significant fall? (should it happen) So far this recent fall hasn't attracted major international attention as it did earlier in the year. It hasn't created an atmosphere of panic as it did then either, probably because as i said before, the fall is more gentle. But at some point we hit the tipping point and a full on crisis is back on the agenda...
Where's the bottom? :winking:

Russian Lad
23-08-2015, 23:15
Let's see.
But more importantly, what will be the impact of a further significant fall? (should it happen) So far this recent fall hasn't attracted major international attention as it did earlier in the year. It hasn't created an atmosphere of panic as it did then either, probably because as i said before, the fall is more gentle. But at some point we hit the tipping point and a full on crisis is back on the agenda...

True. Well, sh't always arrives quickly, "unexpectedly" and unsolicited, it is the law of sh't arrival.:) Let's see how it pans out. We have seen the first jostles for free food, I think soon we will be seeing fights for cheaper subsidized food in supermarkets, maybe by the end of the year. This time it will not be fights for electronics... Now FatAny will tell us it is done on purpose to entertain our Western guests.:)

Where's the bottom?

A very important person has been doing some diving recently, maybe he has seen it, but he is not telling us.:) On the second thought though, what if, when we reach the bottom, someone will knock from beneath and another hatch opens? The rabbit hole seems to be unfathomably deep.

nicklcool
24-08-2015, 05:42

RL, it's like that movie Groundhog Day with you...every Sunday you pontificate about the coming Black Monday. And yet to the everyday Russian these weekly FOREX humps and valleys mean so very little.

On the international scene, this week it's the USA's markets who look to be black on Monday. They're taking it on the chin from the Chinese moves, haven't seen analysis yet of how this will or won't affect Russian markets. Is this the comeuppance of the rules of Economics rearing their heads, or a blip on the radar? Who knows, but the demographics issue is going to bite the USA in the arse in the next few decades, if the ship is not righted.

Russian Lad
24-08-2015, 12:07
It is crashing. Welcome to Black Monday. Euro - +2.77, dollar - +2.05 since the morning, and it is only 12.13 MT.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/11819812/Markets-Black-Monday-China-panic-grips-investors-rouble-collapses-and-stocks-undergo-selling-bloodbath-live.html

Fantastika
24-08-2015, 14:25
It is crashing. Welcome to Black Monday. Euro - +2.77, dollar - +2.05 since the morning, and it is only 12.13 MT.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/11819812/Markets-Black-Monday-China-panic-grips-investors-rouble-collapses-and-stocks-undergo-selling-bloodbath-live.html

Looks like the Chinese, with their currency manipulation, and the USA, with its unending Cold War and pernicious sanctions, is going to bring down the whole economic world.

This is what, in American, is called "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

The ruble goes down by few, that's the important thing. Show the Russkies who is boss. So what if Wall Street loses $1-$2 trillion in value.

Dow down 400 in premarket.

Fantastika
24-08-2015, 14:28

You're only hoping for the collapse of Russia? How about the rest of the world? A virus doesn't discriminate, it spreads - this is global economy.

Russian Lad
24-08-2015, 14:58
You're only hoping for the collapse of Russia? How about the rest of the world? A virus doesn't discriminate, it spreads - this is global economy.

Has the US, the EU, the Japanese, the Canadian or the Great Britain currency devalued in relation to the ruble by over 100% recently? Are they crashing in relation to the ruble?
I am not hoping for anything, I am just oberving. :tongue: At this point comparing the Russian economy with the economy of the US or the EU is like comparing dicks with fingers, given Russia's total dependence on commodities.

Fantastika
24-08-2015, 15:05
Has the US, the EU, the Japanese, the Canadian or the Great Britain currency devalued in relation to the ruble by over 100% recently? Are they crashing in relation to the ruble?
I am not hoping for anything, I am just oberving. :tongue: At this point comparing the Russian economy with the economy of the US or the EU is like comparing dicks with fingers, given Russia's total dependence on commodities.

You're like someone conccerned about a mouse hiding under the front porch, while oblivious to the elephant rampaging inside the house.

Fantastika
24-08-2015, 15:07
Premarket Dow down 671 - $.5 trillion in market value. Where is the money going?

Russian Lad
24-08-2015, 15:07
Russians have rushed to obmenniks, hoping to buy some hard currency for their last rubles:
http://www.the-village.ru/village/situation/situation/220577-u-obmennikov-v-tsentre-moskvy-obrazovalis-ocheredi

AstarD
24-08-2015, 15:17
Premarket Dow down 550 - $.5 trillion in market value. Where is the money going?
From one account to another. It's all electronic, so it's not really "going" anywhere.

Judge
24-08-2015, 15:26
Russians have rushed to obmenniks, hoping to buy some hard currency for their last rubles:
http://www.the-village.ru/village/situation/situation/220577-u-obmennikov-v-tsentre-moskvy-obrazovalis-ocheredi

I walk past that currency exchange place every day to work and there are always about 4 or 5 ppl waiting to exchange money, right near metro mayakovskaya , also it's nowhere near New Arbat like reported.
Surely you can find a better article than that.:thumbsup:
Btw, New Arbat is the most touristy street in Moscow,for sure you'll find ppl waiting to exchange, it's tourist season.

Fantastika
24-08-2015, 15:39
From one account to another. It's all electronic, so it's not really "going" anywhere.

This is true, on individual level. However if Apple was selling for $400 yesterday and today it's at $350, then the company has lost value, and stockholders are poorer.

Silver is dropping significantly, and gold is steady, so the money is not going there

Russian Lad
24-08-2015, 15:42
I walk past that currency exchange place every day to work and there are always about 4 or 5 ppl waiting to exchange money, right near metro mayakovskaya , also it's nowhere near New Arbat like reported.
Surely you can find a better article than that.
Btw, New Arbat is the most touristy street in Moscow,for sure you'll find ppl waiting to exchange, it's tourist season.

Are you telling me the Moscovites cannot count their money? That they are stupid? I don't believe it.

Judge
24-08-2015, 15:45
Are you telling me the Moscovites cannot count their money? That they are stupid? I don't believe it.

I'm telling you that the link you posted is BS.:)

Russian Lad
24-08-2015, 17:10
I'm telling you that the link you posted is BS.:)

Well, BS or not, when I need rubles, I laugh all my way to a bank to exchange crispy euro or dollar banknotes, and the rate is always higher than 30 and 45 rubles (the rate at which I purchased my reserves, dollars and euros). So, who exactly is b-sh'tting whom here?:)
If I listened to people like you, I would have 100%+ less cash now. Why do you want the Russians to become dirt-poor? You hate us that much?:)

AstarD
24-08-2015, 17:31
This is true, on individual level. However if Apple was selling for $400 yesterday and today it's at $350, then the company has lost value, and stockholders are poorer.

Silver is dropping significantly, and gold is steady, so the money is not going thereStockholders do not receive dividend every day. It's paid annually or quarterly, so there is plenty of time for the stock to rally. Nobody's out any money if they paid less than what it's currently worth.

Judge
24-08-2015, 17:51
Well, BS or not, when I need rubles, I laugh all my way to a bank to exchange crispy euro or dollar banknotes, and the rate is always higher than 30 and 45 rubles (the rate at which I purchased my reserves, dollars and euros). So, who exactly is b-sh'tting whom here?:)
If I listened to people like you, I would have 100%+ less cash now. Why do you want the Russians to become dirt-poor? You hate us that much?:)

I'm happy for you, finally good to see you finally take advantage of a situation in your country,sounds like you missed out on the booming early Putin years, now is your time, keep up the good work,again,happy for your success, always glad to hear others doing well,I hope you're sharing your new found wealth with people close to you,it's always nice to share...

Russian Lad
24-08-2015, 18:18
I'm happy for you, finally good to see you finally take advantage of a situation in your country,sounds like you missed out on the booming early Putin years, now is your time, keep up the good work,again,happy for your success, always glad to hear others doing well,I hope you're sharing your new found wealth with people close to you,it's always nice to share...

I am happy that you are happy for me, but the question lingers - why is it that you don't you want other Russians to be as happy as I am, since you don't want them to be buying hard currencies, like I did?:tongue: Moreover, Wally, Tolko and you kept claiming here the ruble is going to do just fine, and I bet many Russians listened to your detrimentally pernicious advise, didn't go to buy hard currencies and are now reading this and eyeballing the ruble crash (once again) in shocked disbelief, feeling to have been thrown for a loop and cheated like some stupid halfwits.

Judge
24-08-2015, 18:43
I am happy that you are happy for me, but the question lingers - why is it that you don't you want other Russians to be as happy as I am, since you don't want them to be buying hard currencies, like I did?:tongue: Moreover, Wally, Tolko and you kept claiming here the ruble is going to do just fine, and I bet many Russians listened to your detrimentally pernicious advise, didn't go to buy hard currencies and are now reading this and eyeballing the ruble crash (once again) in shocked disbelief, feeling to have been thrown for a loop and cheated like some stupid halfwits.

People can buy whatever they want, where did I say what you are implying, I just called your link BS,now it's you who is talking BS.
From what you have posted yourself only about 10% of Russians have savings, so who is changing money?
I'm sure now many are finding bargains here in Russia, shopping than in EU countries and even in the US.
Maybe with your many $, € you can find some bargains and treat yourself, quick prices might go up soon,take advantage of the situation.

Russian Lad
24-08-2015, 18:49
People can buy whatever they want, where did I say what you are implying, I just called your link BS,now it's you who is talking BS.
From what you have posted yourself only about 10% of Russians have savings, so who is changing money?
I'm sure now many are finding g bargains here in Russian, shopping than in EU countries and even in the US.

Well, they would be able to find bargains having 100%+ more rubles now, but I clearly remember you and a whole chorus of others claiming here like a year ago it is Russia, we spend rubles, so there is no need to stockpile hard currencies.
Around 40%, not 10%. And even if it was 10%, it is still millions of Russians made 100% more poor unless they hoarded hard currencies.

Nobbynumbnuts
24-08-2015, 19:12

..exactly. And most of it is just a paper loss.

Three things to consider. Chinese economy is slowing, we are moving towards a higher interest ?? after 6 years of practically zero interest rates. And the markets have been hitting record highs recently.

Just a correction and nothing to worry about..:winking:

Judge
24-08-2015, 19:37
Well, they would be able to find bargains having 100%+ more rubles now, but I clearly remember you and a whole chorus of others claiming here like a year ago it is Russia, we spend rubles, so there is no need to stockpile hard currencies.
Around 40%, not 10%. And even if it was 10%, it is still millions of Russians made 100% more poor unless they hoarded hard currencies.

And maybe many did change their rubles and are now enjoying their gains or out shopping,others who didn't could be thinking of buying something ( forigen made) which might jump in price,retailers are probably already thinking of putting up their prices. I hope you're stockpiling under your cushy pillow.

Judge
24-08-2015, 19:38

Three things to consider. Chinese economy is slowing, we are moving towards a higher interest ?? after 6 years of practically zero interest rates. And the markets have been hitting record highs recently.

Just a correction and nothing to worry about..:winking:

Like I've always said, digits on a screen, 1 trillion here, 3 there.300bn wiped off in euroland in one day.

FatAndy
24-08-2015, 19:49
300bn wiped off in euroland in one day.
Did they exist ever? :) Poor Greeks and Ukromaidowns, they hoped for...

Nobbynumbnuts
24-08-2015, 20:01
Like I've always said, digits on a screen, 1 trillion here, 3 there.300bn wiped off in euroland in one day.

..in the case of shares that's mostly what it is. But those digits represent money as most trading is done electronically these days.

Far more serious is the oil price for Russia..

Judge
24-08-2015, 21:05
Far more serious is the oil price for Russia..
Yes, and that's why we are seeing the ruble adjust to the low oil price, a simple calculation is 3000 ru ÷ the cost of Brent (for today 3000ru÷$43 =69.79), this will give you roughly the ruble -$ rate,of course the CBR use a more sophisticated way of balancing the budget books,but as long as they keep this in check the budget is OK. So, what we are seeing is just adjustment, the weaker ruble is helping the federal budget and in doing so, they shouldn't have to burn through their forigen reserves. .
Let's wait and see how low oil goes. ..fingers crossed for a cold harsh bitter long winter..:cold:

Russian Lad
24-08-2015, 23:01
Yes, and that's why we are seeing the ruble adjust to the low oil price, a simple calculation is 3000 ru ÷ the cost of Brent (for today 3000ru÷$43 =69.79), this will give you roughly the ruble -$ rate,of course the CBR use a more sophisticated way of balancing the budget books,but as long as they keep this in check the budget is OK. So, what we are seeing is just adjustment, the weaker ruble is helping the federal budget and in doing so, they shouldn't have to burn through their forigen reserves. .
Let's wait and see how low oil goes. ..fingers crossed for a cold harsh bitter long winter..:cold:

Yeah, cross your fingers, pray, etc. You need nothing short of a miracle, seriously. Adjustment, right. Why is it the ruble adjusting, not the dollar or euro or pound, etc. to the ruble?:) Why no sustainable economy has been created during the last 10+ oil-prices-high years?

Nobbynumbnuts
24-08-2015, 23:12

As i posted in the other thread..

The weaker ruble is a poor choice. It can work as a short term measure but longer term it will fuel inflation and the currency eventually becomes worthless. People's buying power diminishes so does their faith in there currency, savings fall. They need higher salaries to compensate (or standard of living falls) further fueling inflation. This further diminishes long term growth.
With everybody else in the world trying to devalue their currencies as well, Russia will need to keep devaluing to stay competitive.
This is the story of Italy and hyper inflation-The 500,000 lire note..:winking:

Alan65
24-08-2015, 23:14
Judge, forget about the federal budget, what about the everyday Russians budget.

My wife gets a significant sum just by me renting a room out in London, this has gone from 72k to 88k in the last month, how many Russians earn that, , let alone what is was a year ago?

How many Russians are being slaughtered by high Interest rates etc etc etc

The average Dima and Lena can no longer travel, it is not just teh Ruble versus the USD, Euro or GBP, the exchange rate against the Thai Baht has also bombed, last yer it was 1 Ruble to 1 Thai Baht, now it is 2 Rubles to 1 Thai Baht, this is the same as in Egypt, Turkey etc.

Last year £ 800 was circa 40 k rubles.

Fantastika
24-08-2015, 23:24
Originally Posted by AstarD
(Money is going)...from one account to another. It's all electronic, so it's not really "going" anywhere.

Ah, good. Comedic relief from expat.ru's colossal towers of glittering economic wisdom. :)

Nobbynumbnuts
24-08-2015, 23:42
Originally Posted by AstarD
(Money is going)...from one account to another. It's all electronic, so it's not really "going" anywhere.

Ah, good. Comedic relief from expat.ru's colossal towers of glittering economic wisdom. :)

..ah, the Wally sound-a-like is back! :laughing:

Russian Lad
24-08-2015, 23:54
Judge, you are offending my intelligence.:)
However, let's make bets for today, Tuesday. Will the ruble in relation to dollar crash further, say, to 75? I guess it will surely happen this week. 100 rubles for 1 euro is a distinct possibility in the near future. What a mess.

Fantastika
24-08-2015, 23:59
The economic guru's Asterisk and Numbnuts, publishing pontificatory proclamations:

If the stock market drops down 1000 points, don't worry, it's "just a paper loss." :rofl:

Russian Lad
25-08-2015, 00:06
Edit

Russian Lad
Well, Fantastika, you have a separate thread now kindly created by Judge specifically for this purpose, there is no viable need to keep discussing it here.:) Let us concentrate on the crashing ruble and on what it entails for the Russians - short term and long term.

Nobbynumbnuts
The economic guru's Asterisk and Numbnuts, publishing pontificatory proclamations:

If the stock market drops down 1000 points, don't worry, it's "just a paper loss." :rofl:

..as i said, most of it is a paper loss..

DEFINITION of 'Paper Profit (Paper Loss)' Unrealized capital gain (or capital loss) in an investment. It is calculated by comparing the market price of a security to the original purchase price. Gains or losses only become realized when the security is sold.

..because most people haven't sold :winking:

nicklcool
25-08-2015, 00:51
what it entails for the Russians - short term and long term.

I thought we agreed pages ago that long-term Russia's economy should be OK?? That you are not predicting utter collapse for the RF economy? Or have you now decided this is not a blip - another recession - but rather the beginning of the undoing of Russia as a whole?? :emote_popcorn:

Nobbynumbnuts
25-08-2015, 01:21
I thought we agreed pages ago that long-term Russia's economy should be OK??.....

With oil at $46 the ruble at 70r to $ and both falling, sanctions, -4.6% gdp, inflation etc etc the long term outlook for Russia's economy is good?
The longterm outlook cannot possibly be good until the short term outlook improves..

Russian Lad
25-08-2015, 01:26
:emote_popcorn: For those in a tank - I am not wishing anything, I am just observing events unfold. With the utmost pleasure and deepest satisfaction, I have to confess - after all, many of you have told me to be positive, so I am being entirely positive and fully satisfied. Hohoho. Now that I have crispy hard currency banknotes and with the ruble falling like a rock I don't even need to rummage through garbage containers searching for thrown away sausages and potato peels together with many pensioners who kept telling me how great Russia is today, I go to elite shopping malls to buy exquisite food!

Alan65
25-08-2015, 01:43
Today my wife said she was looking at this

https://ru.burberry.com/diamond-quilted-jacket-p37043221#share

Prices quoted in Rubles today

Prices in GBP today

https://uk.burberry.com/diamond-quilted-jacket-p37018181

Both reasonably similar at the exchange rate of two weeks ago, what will this coat cost in Russia in a few weeks if the current trend continues, today it would be 45 k, now I know that this is not a cabbage or a carrot but the elite will still buy as 5k rubles means nothing to them, the youth will continue to buy super dry etc.....but everyday stuff ???

Fantastika
25-08-2015, 02:08
Well, Fantastika, you have a separate thread now kindly created by Judge specifically for this purpose, there is no viable need to keep discussing it here.:) Let us concentrate on the crashing ruble and on what it entails for the Russians - short term and long term.

I don't keep going off-topic, Numb-Nuts does.

Fantastika
25-08-2015, 02:12
..as i said, most of it is a paper loss..

DEFINITION of 'Paper Profit (Paper Loss)' Unrealized capital gain (or capital loss) in an investment. It is calculated by comparing the market price of a security to the original purchase price. Gains or losses only become realized when the security is sold.

..because most people haven't sold :winking:

Why don't you write a book? "The Collected Economic Wisdom of Knobby Numbnuts" - It would be a comic book, or, the text version - 3 pages long. :rofl:

Fantastika
25-08-2015, 02:19
:emote_popcorn: For those in a tank - I am not wishing anything, I am just observing events unfold. With the utmost pleasure and deepest satisfaction, I have to confess - after all, many of you have told me to be positive, so I am being entirely positive and fully satisfied. Hohoho. Now that I have crispy hard currency banknotes and with the ruble falling like a rock I don't even need to rummage through garbage containers searching for thrown away sausages and potato peels together with many pensioners who kept telling me how great Russia is today, I go to elite shopping malls to buy exquisite food!

Soon there will be no cars on the highways, because no one can afford to buy gas, let alone a car. Russkie Lad, I have a lot of "tack" - bridles, stirrups, spurs, etc., I can send you. All you need is a saddle (there were some nice ones, leather detailed, hand-crafted in Texas, at the auction here last week - they sold for a very low $100-$150, unbelievable) and then, a horse. Free transportation! I have some nice leather saddlebags, too.

No need to buy gas, but they eat a lot of hay. And you can go green - bag and sell the by-products as fertilizer. :)

Russian Lad
25-08-2015, 03:35
All you need is a saddle (there were some nice ones, leather detailed, hand-crafted in Texas, at the auction here last week - they sold for a very low $100-$150, unbelievable) and then, a horse. Free transportation! I have some nice leather saddlebags, too.

No need to buy gas, but they eat a lot of hay. And you can go green - bag and sell the by-products as fertilizer.

Thank you for your kind offer, I don't really need to go anywhere very fast - I stroll around my ghetto to keep fit and then crawl back into my lair before midnight, that's about it, - if I need to go anywhere I take the metro. But you may develop a good business of saddles peddling here in Russia soon, not many Russians will be able to afford a car.:) Besides, even Lada is partly French now, it is very unpatriotic to drive a foreign-made (especially Western-made) car, so in my view the Russians will need to ride horses to prove to the rest of the world they are truly independent. You will need to set up a local production though - buying saddles for your horse from the US is also unpatriotic, a big nono.

Fantastika
25-08-2015, 05:03
Thank you for your kind offer, I don't really need to go anywhere very fast - I stroll around my ghetto to keep fit and then crawl back into my lair before midnight, that's about it, - if I need to go anywhere I take the metro. But you may develop a good business of saddles peddling here in Russia soon, not many Russians will be able to afford a car.:) Besides, even Lada is partly French now, it is very unpatriotic to drive a foreign-made (especially Western-made) car, so in my view the Russians will need to ride horses to prove to the rest of the world they are truly independent. You will need to set up a local production though - buying saddles for your horse from the US is also unpatriotic, a big nono.

I know about Lada, I used to live in Togliatti - "Lada city" or "mafia city" as my friends from Samara called it. Of course my friends in Togliatti called Samara "mafia city." :) . Togliatti (Novi Gorod section) has the best roads outside of Moscow, wide broad avenues with few potholes, the large lanes are laden by lots of loaded Lada's and laughing Land Cruisers. :)

RL, here's a nice girl for you (eat your heart out, Irina (my Russian teacher)): :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMjzUHIwjfA

nicklcool
25-08-2015, 05:07
With oil at $46 the ruble at 70r to $ and both falling, sanctions, -4.6% gdp, inflation etc etc the long term outlook for Russia's economy is good?
The longterm outlook cannot possibly be good until the short term outlook improves..

The socioeconomic factors are strong; we've been through this before. Look at the world economies right now-the world is on fire! Without these sanctions how much better would the ruble be doing?

Nobody is required to do this but how can you prove that the economic recession in Russia taking place right now is NOT mostly (wholly?) due to sanctions and low oil prices. Does anyone honestlyy think both of those variables will continue as is for a long time?

This, nobby, is how you objectively deduce that Russia is going through a recession and not the beginnings of long term economic collapse.

You seem from your other posts very knowledgable about stocks, investments, finance in general. You of all people should know that future economic performance is based on a company's fundamentals, the value it creates for others. Not its past current or recent performance. Or am I missing something huge here?

frankdulzone
25-08-2015, 05:09
Without these sanctions how much better would the ruble be doing?

Who knows, perhaps Russia should pull their polite people out of Eastern Ukraine and Crimea and see?

Fantastika
25-08-2015, 07:17
The socioeconomic factors are strong; we've been through this before. Look at the world economies right now-the world is on fire! Without these sanctions how much better would the ruble be doing?

Nobody is required to do this but how can you prove that the economic recession in Russia taking place right now is NOT mostly (wholly?) due to sanctions and low oil prices. Does anyone honestlyy think both of those variables will continue as is for a long time?

This, nobby, is how you objectively deduce that Russia is going through a recession and not the beginnings of long term economic collapse.

You seem from your other posts very knowledgeable about stocks, investments, finance in general. You of all people should know that future economic performance is based on a company's fundamentals, the value it creates for others. Not its past current or recent performance. Or am I missing something huge here?

Nicki, Numbnuts doesn't understand big words like "socioeconomic," or multiple noun-phraseology :) Please employ one-syllable words or draw cartoons... :)

FatAndy
25-08-2015, 10:15
Who knows, perhaps Russia should pull their polite people out of Eastern Ukraine and Crimea and see?
No, the first, not connected, the second. :)

Nobbynumbnuts
25-08-2015, 23:03

You seem from your other posts very knowledgable about stocks, investments, finance in general. You of all people should know that future economic performance is based on a company's fundamentals, the value it creates for others. Not its past current or recent performance. Or am I missing something huge here?

Socioeconomic factors are divided into 3 main areas.
Health
Income
Education

I don't think anyone could successfully argue that Russians as a nation have good health, High levels of alcoholism,smoking and poor diet. They have free health care but it's of poor quality. Health care treats conditions but does little to prevent them. Average life expectancy figures for men are terrible, 64 years, ranking among the lowest 50 countries in the world.

Don't think anyone could successfully argue that Russia has a particularly high standard of living either, especially now with the present economic situation.

The one bright spot is education. Russians generally are well educated a legacy of the soviet era. But education means little if the economy is not giving people opportunities.

One out of three in terms of socioeconomic factors is hardly convincing. Anyhow, if we are discussing Russia's longterm economic future, socioeconomic factors amount to a hill of beans without considering Russia's dependency on oil. The economy is approx. 70% dependent on the energy sector. Without a realistic oil price, Russian economy isn't really going anywhere.

Further, Russia's longterm economic future is dependent, as a minimum, on the government diversifying the economy. Perhaps this crisis will force them to do this but their record has been very poor.

No one knows if the Russian economy will recover or sink further. I don't claim to have a crystal ball but if you look at the evidence, it's not looking good at the moment...

Alan65
25-08-2015, 23:13
I am still waiting for an answer to my question, £ 800 GBP one year ago was circa 40 k Rubles, i.e my wifes wages, it is now circa 80 k per month, how are ordinary Russians coping, FWIW, my wife thought 40k a year ago was a good wage in St Petes.

SO in simple sentences, how are normal everyday Russians out of an expat circle coping.

Judge
25-08-2015, 23:21
I am still waiting for an answer to my question, £ 800 GBP one year ago was circa 40 k Rubles, i.e my wifes wages, it is now circa 80 k per month, how are ordinary Russians coping, FWIW, my wife thought 40k a year ago was a good wage in St Petes.

SO in simple sentences, how are normal everyday Russians out of an expat circle coping.
Then your wife can feel a little richer with more money to spend in Russia..
The normal Russians I know are coping OK, not as good as before but coping.Prices for food went up but now have come down to near what they were before.
Take RL, your normal Russian,he's moved up from eating in rubbish bins to elite places ,it's not all that bad.

Alan65
25-08-2015, 23:35
Then your wife can feel a little richer with more money to spend in Russia..
The normal Russians I know are coping OK, not as good as before but coping.Prices for food went up but now have come down to near what they were before.
Take RL, your normal Russian,he's moved up from eating in rubbish bins to elite places ,it's not all that bad.

Not what I am hearing on a daily basis

Nobbynumbnuts
25-08-2015, 23:44
Incredibly, oil fell by 6.5% today to $42. How low can it go?

Judge
25-08-2015, 23:44
Not what I am hearing on a daily basis

If you mean about food, I can't speak for all places here,my usual shopping is like it was before the price hike.The article is a few weeks old but talks about the cost of food.

Record Price Drop
The cost of food has seen a record decline since the start of April, the Industry and Trade Ministry said in late July. The ministry published data on a clutch of products that said the price of eggs fell by 20 percent over the period from April to mid-July, the cost of granulated sugar by 2.4 percent, fish by 3.8 percent and cheese by 7.6 percent.

The most dramatic falls were in the cost of fruit and vegetables. The price of cucumbers fell by 58.7 percent over April to mid-July, while the cost of tomatoes tumbled 41.3 percent, the ministry said.http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russian-food-prices-stabilize-after-months-of-racing-inflation/526610.html

Judge
25-08-2015, 23:53
Incredibly, oil fell by 6.5% today to $42. How low can it go?

I think your news is old,

On London's ICE Futures exchange, Brent crude was trading up 3.7 per cent at $US44.25 http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news/2015/8/25/markets/oil-prices-rebound-6-yr-low

Nobbynumbnuts
26-08-2015, 00:05
I think your news is old,

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news/2015/8/25/markets/oil-prices-rebound-6-yr-low

That's the futures market....Bloomberg has the Brent spot oil price at $43.10 right now.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/CO1:COM

Russian Lad
26-08-2015, 00:21

I am not a normal Russian, I am as abnormal as you can possibly imagine+50% of some other stuff you might not imagine.:) I haven't been officially employed since 2008 - I find the terms extremely disagreeable. I quit when I was earning around 30K rubles per month in 2008 because I thought it was a disgracefully low pay, but now the same company is paying people the same 30K rubles, but it is less than 500 dollars now. And they hire some fresh young talents for like 250 dollars per month at the current rate - that's the cost of renting a relatively decent one room apartment here.
So, answering Alan's question - people's livelihoods are affected drastically, and it looks like the situation will be getting much worse.

Prices for food went up but now have come down to near what they were before.

The most essential foodstuffs are heavily subsidized now, I strongly suspect they will not always have cash to keep doing it, and this time, it is just around the corner.

Alan65
26-08-2015, 01:45
If you mean about food, I can't speak for all places here,my usual shopping is like it was before the price hike.The article is a few weeks old but talks about the cost of food.
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russian-food-prices-stabilize-after-months-of-racing-inflation/526610.html

I can see that it is cherry picking season again

But analysts warned that the gains may only be temporary, and Russians should brace for another acceleration of inflation in the fall.

But despite recent declines, prices are still far higher than they were one year ago.

The result is that vegetables and fruit cost on average 22.8 percent more in June than in the same month in 2014, according to Rosstat.

Russian Lad
26-08-2015, 02:10

But analysts warned that the gains may only be temporary, and Russians should brace for another acceleration of inflation in the fall.

But despite recent declines, prices are still far higher than they were one year ago.

The result is that vegetables and fruit cost on average 22.8 percent more in June than in the same month in 2014, according to Rosstat.

Maybe Judge is shopping at Azbuka Vkusa and his price per one apple is about the same 3500 rubles as a year ago or he even gets discounts? :party:
Where is Wally, by the way? Hope he didn't get into trouble with some laughing people in a restaurant. Or he is too busy frantically exchanging his rubles into dollars on the sly? I can imagine him in a Moscow obmennik, hands trembling, counting banknotes again and again, giggling, murmuring "America sucks!", scared Russians staring at him with gaping mouths thinking he is a spy, some people are making phone calls hastily after making sure he is not looking at them, a siren is heard outside.

vossy7
26-08-2015, 08:27
We were in Ikea Теплый стан yesterday and it was heaving , there was a long queue for the restaurant (not that we were going in) , the car park was completely full from Ikea all the way across to Auchan. Trolleys were full to bursting, looks like no one told the general public there is a crisis !

On another note , every day people ask me (god knows why!) what to do with their big redundancy payouts .......convert to $ or sit on them?
Looks like Ikea knows where all the money is coming from :sad:

fenrir
26-08-2015, 09:05
Former Defense Official Convicted for Embezzlement Gets Quick Parole

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/former-defense-official-convicted-for-embezzlement-gets-quick-parole/528614.html

It's things like this that convince me that Russia will have an almost impossible time of it getting out of this economic mess without the return of high oil prices. The rot starts at the top and works its way down to the bottom.

Judge
26-08-2015, 09:10

I agree ,it's all about picking.
It's seasonal food, like now it's apple season,price for apples is down,the other month berries and soon mushroom season will be in full swing.

fenrir
26-08-2015, 09:15
Russia Tells Retailers to Withdraw Some Foreign Detergent Brands

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russia-tells-retailers-to-withdraw-some-foreign-detergent-brands/528608.html

What's next? Can they think of more ways to cause inflation to spike.

Judge
26-08-2015, 09:18
Russia Tells Retailers to Withdraw Some Foreign Detergent Brands

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russia-tells-retailers-to-withdraw-some-foreign-detergent-brands/528608.html

What's next? Can they think of more ways to cause inflation to spike.
You beat me to it,
Was just about to start a thread about that .Might be best to stock up.

The regulator said some products of Henkel, Procter & Gamble, Colgate-Palmolive, and Clorox had to be removed from the marketplace because they did not meet Russia's toxicological safety criteria.

So what's changed, they weren't doing their job before and allowed unsafe toxics onto the market.

penka
26-08-2015, 10:26
We were in Ikea Теплый стан yesterday and it was heaving , there was a long queue for the restaurant (not that we were going in) , the car park was completely full from Ikea all the way across to Auchan. Trolleys were full to bursting, looks like no one told the general public there is a crisis !

On another note , every day people ask me (god knows why!) what to do with their big redundancy payouts .......convert to $ or sit on them?
Looks like Ikea knows where all the money is coming from :sad:

Well, maybe, people are spending their savings in the fear of further devaluation of the national currency and the inevitable raise of prices.

penka
26-08-2015, 10:28
You beat me to it,
Was just about to start a thread about that .Might be best to stock up.

So what's changed, they weren't doing their job before and allowed unsafe toxics onto the market.

For how many years those unsafe toxics had been on the Russian market? And Rospotrebnadzor has raised the safety alarm only now?... I must be missing something in this equation.

FatAndy
26-08-2015, 10:55
Chupa-Chups, chewing gum and Coca-Cola will be the next :verycool:

vossy7
26-08-2015, 11:01
Chupa-Chups, chewing gum and Coca-Cola will be the next :verycool:

Квас rules......:smile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HDDl3jEZPY

FatAndy
26-08-2015, 11:06
Квас rules......:smile:
...and pedales!

Russian Lad
26-08-2015, 12:18

Tell them to sit on them.:) Hohoho. It would be unpatriotic to buy dollars. Vossy, you do realize that 80% of money is in Moscow, right?:)

nicklcool
26-08-2015, 12:26
It's things like this that convince me that Russia will have an almost impossible time of it getting out of this economic mess without the return of high oil prices. The rot starts at the top and works its way down to the bottom.

Going to the Moscow Times for information on Corruption in Riussia is like watching MSNBC and expecting balanced coverage of emailgate

vossy7
26-08-2015, 12:37
Tell them to sit on them.:) Hohoho. It would be unpatriotic to buy dollars. Vossy, you do realize that 80% of money is in Moscow, right?:)

Well RL, it's a bit nostalgic for me , it's rather like the old days in Ireland , all the money was in Dublin but the people outside the big city seemed to be more at ease , made the most of less and just got on with it. There are not many expats left I believe . I know my situation is different to the local people but it still saddens me deeply to see what is happening but I am not going anywhere fast .I have now lived in Russia longer than I lived in Ireland :smile:

Judge
26-08-2015, 13:50
For how many years those unsafe toxics had been on the Russian market? And Rospotrebnadzor has raised the safety alarm only now?... I must be missing something in this equation.

Russian humour, ,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-34051734

Fantastika
26-08-2015, 16:13
I've had a bottle of Квас in the refrigerator for a year. Is it still good? It's marked "kosher."

Fantastika
26-08-2015, 16:14
Going to the Moscow Times for information on Corruption in Riussia is like watching MSNBC and expecting balanced coverage of emailgate

Going to the Moscow Times for information on Russia is like asking Megyn Kelly and Jorge Ramos for information on Donald Trump. :)

AstarD
26-08-2015, 17:34
I've had a bottle of Квас in the refrigerator for a year. Is it still good? It's marked "kosher."Would beer go bad in that time if in the fridge? I think it would be OK.

Alan65
26-08-2015, 18:14
Would beer go bad in that time if in the fridge? I think it would be OK.

What self respecting person would keep a beer in the fridge for a year.

FatAndy
26-08-2015, 18:51
I did it once. I don't drink much beer, preferring brandy. But once upon a time friendly family brought me a bottle of somewhat super-pooper beer, and it was standing in my fridge for around a year, when I've decided to drink it finally.

FatAndy
26-08-2015, 18:52
I did it once. I don't drink much beer, preferring brandy. But once upon a time friendly family brought me a bottle of somewhat super-pooper beer, and it was standing in my fridge for around a year, when I've decided to drink it finally.

penka
26-08-2015, 19:04

That was a destiny of a bottle of Absolute someone brought. Eventually I started using it for cleaning purposes....

fenrir
27-08-2015, 15:49
Russian Food Prices Up 11 Percent

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russian-food-prices-up-11-percent/528734.html

Quoting Rosstat data. Hopefully, no one will start questioning how MT got the data.

Wine Prices to Rise in Russia Over Ruble Crisis

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/wine-prices-to-rise-in-russia-over-ruble-crisis/528740.html

Nobbynumbnuts
28-08-2015, 19:08
No one is pretending anything, just that you are trying to make it out that collapse is imminent. ..Yesterday oil up, ruble up, and the drama continues.

I don't make predictions and you know it. :winking:
Oil and the ruble at current levels are a serious problem for Russia and if they fall further for longer then we're back in the end game...................and you know that too! :winking:

penka
28-08-2015, 19:24
I don't make predictions and you know it. :winking:
Oil and the ruble at current levels are a serious problem for Russia and if they fall further for longer then we're back in the end game...................and you know that too! :winking:

Nobby, you should really stop and try applying any logical logics when it comes to Russia;)

Nobbynumbnuts
28-08-2015, 19:48
Nobby, you should really stop and try applying any logical logics when it comes to Russia;)

..old habits die hard!

Russian Lad
29-08-2015, 00:21
Nobby, you should really stop and try applying any logical logics when it comes to Russia

The logics of economics still apply, even to Russia (just as the law of gravitation and so forth), even though the minister of culture claims we have an extra chromosome (though I was reading somewhere an extra chromosome invariably leads to deep psychological disorders and dementia, but never mind). Many Russians, imho, are not very bright, but they still want to eat every day, just as their children. The Iranian oil will flood the wobbling commodities market soon. Penka, you better take a few praying lessons from Rusmeister, there must be some ways to ask God for miracles in an effective and meaningful manner. Let's hope for a wonderful miracle and maybe count on the Авось.

Nobbynumbnuts
29-08-2015, 01:44
..........The Iranian oil will flood the wobbling commodities market soon...........

Well, i think a lot of that news is already in the price of oil today. The Saudis won't decrease production to reduce supply into the market, one reason the price is falling. This is the obvious response to falling prices and the usual one from OPEC. The Saudis won't do it because they want to deny the Iranians (their biggest rival in the region and arch enemy) market share. That and lower demand from China for oil are reasons why Russia is suffering now..

Russian Lad
29-08-2015, 02:00
I would not be surprised to see oil as low as 20 at certain points some time by the end of the year and especially during the next year.

penka
29-08-2015, 07:51
The logics of economics still apply, even to Russia (just as the law of gravitation and so forth), even though the minister of culture claims we have an extra chromosome (though I was reading somewhere an extra chromosome invariably leads to deep psychological disorders and dementia, but never mind). Many Russians, imho, are not very bright, but they still want to eat every day, just as their children. The Iranian oil will flood the wobbling commodities market soon. Penka, you better take a few praying lessons from Rusmeister, there must be some ways to ask God for miracles in an effective and meaningful manner. Let's hope for a wonderful miracle and maybe count on the Авось.

An extra chromosome causes Dawn syndrome, our bright Russian Lad.

frankdulzone
29-08-2015, 07:56

down syndrome,

and I think that is the exact joke he was making ->
even though the minister of culture claims we have an extra chromosome (though I was reading somewhere an extra chromosome invariably leads to deep psychological disorders and dementia, but never mind).

penka
29-08-2015, 08:44
down syndrome,

and I think that is the exact joke he was making ->

It was making a joke? Amazing.:yawn:

Russian Lad
29-08-2015, 13:03

Comrade Penka, try to concentrate, you are losing it.:)
Here, have a song to cheer you up. Please remain standing while watching the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHIcUuP-c0&feature=youtu.be

penka
29-08-2015, 17:02
Comrade Penka, try to concentrate, you are losing it.:)
Here, have a song to cheer you up. Please remain standing while watching the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHIcUuP-c0&feature=youtu.be

Having a PMS again?...

Russian Lad
29-08-2015, 18:14
Having a PMS again?...

Why, I am just having fun (at your expense, but c'est la vie), not sure what you are having, I am not that versed in female matters.:smug:

nicklcool
31-08-2015, 07:27
Many Russians, imho, are not very bright.

Well I was offline for a week but everything is as usual on Expat: RL is demeaning his fellow countrymen and preficting havocъ for the Russian economy by the end of the year.

FWIW in Sheremyetevo on Friday the exchange kiosk was offering 51 rubles to buy dollars and 67.5 to sell them, closer to home on Saturday my rubles were bought for 61.4. I must say an awful lot of people are buying things driving in their cars building things and working, don't they know about the pending doom? If you recall the stats back that up: Russians don't have the benefit of socialist programs like unemployment food stamps or subsidized housing so they must work to put bread on the table!

Additionally, I am amazed at how many families with children I see around vs. 7 years ago! Look at this, the materinskyi kapital has finally generated lots of little future tax payers for the motherland!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Russia
Slowly but surely the ship is righted...

AstarD
02-09-2015, 17:31
Russians More Concerned About Economy Than Ukraine — Poll
The Moscow Times
Sep. 01 2015 17:42 Last edited 17:42

Economic crisis and the resulting poverty, inflation and growing inequality are more important to Russians than the armed conflict in eastern Ukraine, a poll conducted by the independent Levada Center revealed on Monday.

While the civil strife in eastern Ukraine still features on the list of Russians' top 10 concerns, it was mentioned by only 22 percent of respondents.

Seventy-eight percent said they were concerned about inflation, 42 percent said they were worried about increasing poverty and 36 percent were afraid of rising unemployment.

The poll was conducted among 1,600 people with a margin of error not exceeding 3.4 percent.

The recent plunge in oil prices and sanctions imposed against Russia by Western countries over the Ukraine crisis have triggered a sharp crisis in the country's economy. Real incomes have fallen as inflation has reached more than 15 percent.

The Economic Development Ministry is expecting the country's economy to contract by 3.3 percent this year and grow by 1-2 percent next year.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/russians-more-concerned-about-economy-than-ukraine--poll/529201.html

bydand
02-09-2015, 19:18
Additionally, I am amazed at how many families with children I see around vs. 7 years ago! Look at this, the materinskyi kapital has finally generated lots of little future tax payers for the motherland!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Russia
Slowly but surely the ship is righted...

What you personally see around is anecdotal evidence.

From your link;
As of 2014, Russian TFR of 1.750 children per woman.

A TFR (total fertility rate) of 2.0 is needed (replace mama & papa) just to maintain the population.
Most of the population increase is from the annexation of Crimea and immigration.

Following the 2014 annexation of Crimea, over 98% of Crimea residents acquired Russian citizenship.[6] Russia's population has thus expanded by 2,294,110 people.[5]
Taking into account immigration, the population grew by 294,500 people.[8]

Russian Lad
02-09-2015, 19:21
I have stopped taking him seriously, he seems to be a troll. Maybe an incarnation of Fantastika?:) Linguistically, they are very similar. Now he is in Russia, buying dollars for 51 and selling them for 67. Whatever. There is no point in talking to crazy people.

nicklcool
02-09-2015, 19:33
What you personally see around is anecdotal evidence.

From your link;
As of 2014, Russian TFR of 1.750 children per woman.

A TFR (total fertility rate) of 2.0 is needed (replace mama & papa) just to maintain the population.
Most of the population increase is from the annexation of Crimea and immigration.

Bydanand, from the Wikipedia page, this graph (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Population_of_Russia.PNG) starts to level off and then increase at around 2007, long before the Crimea annexation but right around the time Materinskyi Kapital went into effect.

Yes, Russia isn't at replacement fertility rate, but as I said it's headed in the right direction. 0.19% is the growth rate estimate for 2014; interesting too to see that the Russians who significantly remember communism (65 and older) are at 13% of the population and the 15-64 year-old Russians who are more prone to accept Western ideals/capitalism, the teens 20 year-olds and thirty-somethings, make up 70% of the population.

Here's the relevant text about materinsktyi kapital:

The natural population decline continued to slow through 2008—2012 due to declining death rates and increasing birth rates. In 2009 the population saw yearly growth for the first time in 15 years.[11][16] In September 2009, the Ministry of Health and Social Development reported that Russia recorded natural population growth for the first time in 15 years, with 1,000 more births than deaths in August.[28] In April 2011 the Russian Prime Minister (Russian president as of 2012) Vladimir Putin pledged to spend the 1.5 trillion rubles (£32.5 billion or $54 billion) on various measures to boost Russia's declining birthrate by 30 per cent in the next four years.[29]

frankdulzone
02-09-2015, 19:47
Maybe an incarnation of Fantastika?:) Linguistically, they are very similar.

huh, I thought the same thing. They seem to bounce around the same talking points. Nick is much nicer though, so if he is an alt account, kudos to Fantastika for knowing how to reign his vitriol in sometimes.

Russia isn't at replacement fertility rate, but as I said it's headed in the right direction.

really? Huh, not my take:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2015/01/23/russias-population-is-still-growing-but-trouble-lies-ahead/

However now that Russia’s economy is set for a nasty recession of indeterminate length, and now that real incomes are getting hit by a combination of currency weakness and inflation, it’s not terribly surprising that its population dynamics are starting to weaken. That’s exactly what you’d expect to happen when a country suffers a sharp short-term economic reversal. Despite the Kremlin’s loud protestations of exceptionalism Russia is not, in fact, all that different: when you hammer the population’s standard of living they react accordingly.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/russia-reverses-birth-decline-but-for-how-long/502325.html

Anatoly Vishnevsky, director of the Demography Institute at the Higher School of Economics, warned that Russia's recent population growth is not sustainable, as the next few generations of potential mothers will be those born after the collapse of the Soviet Union, when fewer children were already being born.

"In 2019 there will only be 12.9 million women of the most active maternity age of between 20 to 35, while in 2013 there were 17.2 million, so of course there will be fewer children in the future," he said in emailed comments.

Russia's economy collapsed after the breakup of the Soviet Union, which had a devastating effect on the birth rate as families struggled to make ends meet.

Judge
02-09-2015, 20:29
Nick, you're right about the recent population growth, Putin made it one of his goals a few years ago, even gave families $10000 for a second child, this idea worked, well, the economy was in a better shape back then, with the economy the way it is, some families might be put off for now to have more children. .Let's see what the stats show in a few years.
BTW, welcome back to Russia, hope you're enjoying your time here.

Judge
02-09-2015, 20:36
I have stopped taking him seriously, he seems to be a troll. Maybe an incarnation of Fantastika?:) Linguistically, they are very similar. Now he is in Russia, buying dollars for 51 and selling them for 67. Whatever. There is no point in talking to crazy people.

And you keep reminding us about this fact, seems you can't stick him on ignore ...

Russian Lad
02-09-2015, 20:45
And you keep reminding us about this fact, seems you can't stick him on ignore ...

Have I ever said I want to put him on Ignore? I don't have anyone there, the list is as empty as a fake patriot's brain.:) His rants are sort of amusing, so Nick maintains the regal privilege of having at least some of them skimmed through by me every now and then. As promised though, I don't answer to any of them.:smug:

Judge
02-09-2015, 20:50
Have I ever said I want to put him on Ignore? I don't have anyone there, the list is as empty as a fake patriot's brain.:) His rants are sort of amusing, so Nick maintains the regal privilege of having at least some of them skimmed through by me every now and then.:smug:

Remember our last pm exchange about paranoid and insults. ..
He isn't ranting, just saying what he's seeing in Moscow.

fenrir
02-09-2015, 21:12
Putin's Got a New Problem With China

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-01/putin-s-china-turn-hits-potholes-as-trade-drops-markets-slide

Interesting quotes:

Trade between the two nations fell 29 percent in the first half of this year to $30.6 billion. Russian government officials now say that there’s virtually no chance they will hit their target of $100 billion in trade turnover this year, a goal Putin publicly embraced as recently as October. Putin in his interview didn’t mention the drop in trade this year.

“Russia is the supplicant partner, not China, which still has a range of choices to source resources even despite its recent economic troubles.”

The decline in trade this year has pushed Russia out of the ranks of China’s top 15 trade partners for the first time in more than five years.

Moscow’s plan for another gas pipeline from west Siberia to China has faced a cool reception from Beijing.

Russian Lad
02-09-2015, 21:17
He isn't ranting, just saying what he's seeing in Moscow.

Well, he is telling us he is buying dollars in Moscow for 51 and selling them for 67, I doubt he is really seeing that in Moscow, even if he is there. Let's call a spade a spade...

Judge
02-09-2015, 21:18
Old news Fenrir, either you or someone else posted the same bit of news over a month ago.
Here's the link.http://tass.ru/en/economy/808044

Putin is over in China, let's see if they sign any deals, not the best of timing with the Chinese economy the way it is.

Judge
02-09-2015, 21:19
Well, he is telling us he is buying dollars in Moscow for 51 and selling them for 67, I doubt he is really seeing that in Moscow, even if he is there. Let's call a spade a spade...

Yes,he clearly said he bought at 51.:10293:

I much prefer a shovel, easier to eat my free pie :silly:

Uncle Wally
02-09-2015, 21:31
Old news Fenrir, either you or someone else posted the same bit of news over a month ago.

Putin is over in China, let's see if they sign any deals, not the best of timing with the Chinese economy the way it is.

Since October is just a month away I would say it is almost a year old.

China just agreed to finance a high speed rail service to Kazan.

fenrir
02-09-2015, 21:55

Old news published today?

fenrir
02-09-2015, 21:58
Since October is just a month away I would say it is almost a year old.

China just agreed to finance a high speed rail service to Kazan.

No, Wally. That is a misprint. Things were a lot different a year ago. High speed rail service? They haven't built the supposed gas pipelines yet. The rail line will never happen. It's pure fantasy.

Judge
02-09-2015, 22:24
Old news published today?

Yes ,old news, they refreshed last month's news cos of Putin's visit to China. ...

fenrir
02-09-2015, 22:31
Yes ,old news, they refreshed last month's news cos of Putin's visit to China. ...

Last month I can believe but the news really isn't so old because the situation is pretty much exactly the same.

Uncle Wally
03-09-2015, 00:01
Last month I can believe but the news really isn't so old because the situation is pretty much exactly the same.

It says "as recently as October"

nicklcool
03-09-2015, 05:47

RL you and I rarely agree, but I still think it's fun to debate you. I don't think you're crazy, just stuck in the Soviet mindset. But in this free country, in Russia, you are welcome to call me crazy if you wish.

But at least read my damn posts accurately! At Sheremyetevo they were selling dollars to customers for 67 rubles and buying dollars from customers for 51 rubles. There's no way for the customer to make money there- the exchange company is the one turning a profit.

And in any case the only reason I posted about exchange rates is because of your obsession with exchange rates, your inability to see the forest from the trees when it comes to the exchange rate's role in the economic situation in Russia.

Russian Lad
03-09-2015, 14:51
Elected? He was assigned, and majority of RF population have supported it.
Teeth gnashing of so called "poposition intellectuals" traditionally wasn't taken in account.
And this is good and correct.
:)

:emote_popcorn:

Oil production in Russia is going to fall by 1/3 - a direct result of "successful" policies: http://www.finanz.ru/novosti/birzhevyye-tovary/rossii-grozit-padenie-dobychi-nefti-na-tret-1000794506
Is it also good and correct? Maybe sometimes listening to intellectuals is not such a bad idea if you don't wish your people eat boiled grass? Wonder at what point a smug smile is going to disappear off your face, comrade. Things look bad.

Uncle Wally
03-09-2015, 16:31
Oil production in Russia is going to fall by 1/3 - a direct result of "successful" policies: http://www.finanz.ru/novosti/birzhevyye-tovary/rossii-grozit-padenie-dobychi-nefti-na-tret-1000794506
Is it also good and correct? Maybe sometimes listening to intellectuals is not such a bad idea if you don't wish your people eat boiled grass? Wonder at what point a smug smile is going to disappear off your face, comrade. Things look bad.

Things look however YOU want them to look. Your world is up to you and nobody else. I think you wanting to sell off Russian girls to old perverted foreigners would see the up side to any down side. Life is what you make of it.

Russian Lad
03-09-2015, 16:42
Things look however YOU want them to look. Your world is up to you and nobody else. Life is what you make of it.

That's a stupid and irrelevant statement - hello, Wally, we are discussing the economic situation in Russia here, not my personal life affairs. Try to keep up.

I think you wanting to sell off Russian girls to old perverted foreigners would see the up side to any down side.

That's a lie and a slander. You haven't been to the SinBin for a while, I reckon you miss it.

Uncle Wally
03-09-2015, 16:46
That's a stupid and irrelevant statement - hello, Wally, we are discussing the economic situation in Russia here, not my personal life affairs. Try to keep up.

That's a lie and a slander. You haven't been to the SinBin for a while, I reckon you miss it.

So you're not still working on the dating site?

Look there is opportunity everywhere but you will never find it if you just sit there and cry.

Russian Lad
03-09-2015, 16:48
So you're not still working on the dating site?

I am working on a dating site, but your description of it is slanderous and preposterous.:) If I wanted to do what you mentioned, launching a dating site would be the last thing on my mind.

Uncle Wally
03-09-2015, 17:05
I am working on a dating site, but your description of it is slanderous and preposterous.:) If I wanted to do what you mentioned, launching a dating site would be the last thing on my mind.

Oh come on! I've seen the guys who use these sites.

What do you think we have on this site? It's the dirty old men's club. I am a charter member!

You say you like America and understand life there. You haven't a clue. If you start a business it's money first, this is all that matters. If you want to be some kind of good guy you will never make it in the dog eat dog world that is capitalism.

frankdulzone
03-09-2015, 18:01
Oh come on! I've seen the guys who use these sites.

I suspected about you, but wasn't sure until I saw this post :gay:

If you want to be some kind of good guy you will never make it in the dog eat dog world that is capitalism.

I gather your expertise comes from years and years of you selling your time playing music in Russia?

Russian Lad
03-09-2015, 18:16
You say you like America and understand life there. You haven't a clue. If you start a business it's money first, this is all that matters. If you want to be some kind of good guy you will never make it in the dog eat dog world that is capitalism.

Is it any different in the Russian laissez-faire, doggy-style, Friedmanish and neototalitarian version of capitalism? If anything, it has been taken down to a whole new low level of despotism, corruption and nepotism, compared to the US. So, chill out. Besides, I worked in a US company for many years, for almost a f;cking decade, and I have worked as a freelancer for various Western companies for over 15 years, so you teaching me capitalism is a joke. Why don't you get a life?:)

What do you think we have on this site? It's the dirty old men's club. I am a charter member!

There are men of different ages there. Older men like young women irrespective of nationality, you think old Russian men would refuse to have a younger wife? Are you real? You better reconsider your views if you will want a free and privileged easy membership plan.:) Join the winners, Wally, and stop whining.:)

nicklcool
03-09-2015, 22:42
Things look bad.

RL are you hoping most of the expats don't know Russian and won't read your link ? It says the exact opposite of what you're implying! The article title even says Russia is threatening to reduce output! It says Russia is considering voluntarily reducing output by a third, and also that the country will postpone exploration of new projects, if the price support isn't there (which is the practice of just about every oil company if not every type of business). So actually the article shows things looking good, if Russia can afford to do as OPEC does and voluntarily reduce output to influence supply and thereby prices. Thanks for the Russian reading practice ;)

frankdulzone
03-09-2015, 23:17
RL are you hoping most of the expats don't know Russian and won't read your link ? It says the exact opposite of what you're implying! The article title even says Russia is threatening to reduce output! It says Russia is considering voluntarily reducing output by a third, and also that the country will postpone exploration of new projects, if the price support isn't there (which is the practice of just about every oil company if not every type of business). So actually the article shows things looking good, if Russia can afford to do as OPEC does and voluntarily reduce output to influence supply and thereby prices. Thanks for the Russian reading practice ;)

how long have you been studying the Russian language?

Uncle Wally
03-09-2015, 23:22
Is it any different in the Russian laissez-faire, doggy-style, Friedmanish and neototalitarian version of capitalism? If anything, it has been taken down to a whole new low level of despotism, corruption and nepotism, compared to the US. So, chill out. Besides, I worked in a US company for many years, for almost a f;cking decade, and I have worked as a freelancer for various Western companies for over 15 years, so you teaching me capitalism is a joke. Why don't you get a life?:)

There are men of different ages there. Older men like young women irrespective of nationality, you think old Russian men would refuse to have a younger wife? Are you real? You better reconsider your views if you will want a free and privileged easy membership plan.:) Join the winners, Wally, and stop whining.:)

So what are you worrying about?

I tried your last site and got a ex tennis pro who worked for the KGB, her exhusband was Yelsin's body guard. But other than that not much for me. Can do better on the metro.

Uncle Wally
03-09-2015, 23:26
I suspected about you, but wasn't sure until I saw this post :gay:

I gather your expertise comes from years and years of you selling your time playing music in Russia?

Ah ha ha. You funny. Now tell me I'm wrong.

frankdulzone
03-09-2015, 23:28
Ah ha ha. You funny. Now tell me I'm wrong.
no I agree, I also think I am funny :)

Uncle Wally
03-09-2015, 23:57
no I agree, I also think I am funny :)

Nobody else does.

frankdulzone
04-09-2015, 00:02
Nobody else does.

Wally does:

Ah ha ha. You funny.

nicklcool
04-09-2015, 00:03
how long have you been studying the Russian language?

For far too long. :) Thtee years in high school (we all know what that level of study is like) and four in college.

Do you speak the language?

frankdulzone
04-09-2015, 00:14
For far too long. :) Thtee years in high school (we all know what that level of study is like) and four in college.was that what made you desire to move to Russia? Are you there are tourist visa? I assume you are going to apply for citizenship? I assume with how quickly you parsed RL's link you are almost a native speaker?

Do you speak the language?no

Russian Lad
04-09-2015, 00:47
Wally, answering to your first question - I am worried about many of my countrymen turning into grunting, carnivorous pigs. Secondly, I hate violence, especially hitting someone from the back when he is not really looking or hitting someone lying unconscious on the floor with boots in the face, it is just against my nature, don't know about you. Thirdly, I think the current situation is not going to benefit my country, en masse, to put it mildly. Me personally, I may win, but the country will certainly lose - as far as I can see, it has lost a lot already, but there is much more to lose. Dommage, mais tant pis, to use some French here. I want to be proud of my country, not to be ashamed of it like I am now.

I tried your last site and got a ex tennis pro who worked for the KGB, her exhusband was Yelsin's body guard. But other than that not much for me. Can do better on the metro.

Talk about ungrateful clients.:( There I was, working my arse flat day and night trying to offer the best of the best, only to find out that Wally rides with elite ladies on the metro anyway. That said, I assume you do pay for the tokens too, so it is not exactly free of charge either. :winking:
Well, the site I am working on now will be much better, way more cutting edge from the technical point and 100% more user-friendly. And it will be free of charge, at least for the first months, there will also be features that allow to use a good portion of it free of charge forever. So, stay tuned.

Uncle Wally
04-09-2015, 09:43
Wally, answering to your first question - I am worried about many of my countrymen turning into grunting, carnivorous pigs. Secondly, I hate violence, especially hitting someone from the back when he is not really looking or hitting someone lying unconscious on the floor with boots in the face, it is just against my nature, don't know about you. Thirdly, I think the current situation is not going to benefit my country, en masse, to put it mildly. Me personally, I may win, but the country will certainly lose - as far as I can see, it has lost a lot already, but there is much more to lose. Dommage, mais tant pis, to use some French here. I want to be proud of my country, not to be ashamed of it like I am now.

Talk about ungrateful clients.:( There I was, working my arse flat day and night trying to offer the best of the best, only to find out that Wally rides with elite ladies on the metro anyway. That said, I assume you do pay for the tokens too, so it is not exactly free of charge either. :winking:
Well, the site I am working on now will be much better, way more cutting edge from the technical point and 100% more user-friendly. And it will be free of charge, at least for the first months, there will also be features that allow to use a good portion of it free of charge forever. So, stay tuned.

You should be proud of your country! I am embarrassed by mine.

As for your site it's just not my thing. The new site will be yours, the last one you only worked for. Anyway I hope you have higher standards than any dating site that would allow me to be a member.

Judge
04-09-2015, 13:14
Good to see Ford helping out the Russian economy, lots of new jobs for the area.

Ford will become the first foreign car manufacturer to start making its engines in Russia, when the factory begins production on Thursday in Russia's Republic of Tatarstan.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/business/20150903/1026529756.html#ixzz3klP4PgMa

AstarD
04-09-2015, 13:21
250 jobs. It's mostly automated.

Judge
04-09-2015, 19:50
250 jobs. It's mostly automated.

Still 250 jobs ,better than no jobs and no investment ...and a good company to have in the industrial zone.

Even more deals being signed, the Germans happy to get Russian gas.

http://tass.ru/en/economy/818825

Nice of the Germans and Austria to get another direct gas pipeline but the poorer EU countries aren't allowed their own gas directly from Russia.

Talking about car engines, even the Germans open another factory here.

Volkswagen launches $250 mln euro auto engine factory in central Russia
http://tass.ru/en/economy/818947

Lots more jobs for the locals in Kaluga, the place itself is worth visiting.

TolkoRaz
04-09-2015, 21:12
Good to see Ford helping out the Russian economy, lots of new jobs for the area.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/business/20150903/1026529756.html#ixzz3klP4PgMa

American cars powered by Russian built engines?

Russian Lad
04-09-2015, 21:22

Don't fool yourself, it is just a way to dodge paying extra for bringing in the whole car.You build a place, hire 250 local button pushers for peanuts instead and pretend you are making something while in fact assembling the car as a Lego toy. It is just cheaper this way. Revenues to the state - questionable, they lose on those extra payments, they gain on local taxes. It seems to me a zero sum game.
Meanwhile - the RF oil revenues in hard currency have dropped by the staggering and mind-boggling 40% during the last year: https://news.mail.ru/economics/23203101/?frommail=1
The number of the Russians below the poverty line has doubled during the last two years and has reached the whopping 22 (twenty two) million: http://lenta.ru/articles/2015/09/04/poverty/
That's the real situation, not the "розовые сопли в сахаре" some of you are reporting.

Judge
04-09-2015, 21:25

Yes, more work for the Russians, less jobs for the Americans .

RL, 250 jobs, these workers have families, the plant will employ more than 250 button pushers, truck drivers, cleaners, security guards ,etc.

TolkoRaz
04-09-2015, 21:30
Ironic in times of political tensions and very selective sanctions! ;)

Judge
04-09-2015, 21:32
Ironic in times of political tensions and sanctions! ;)

What's this 's' word you speak of? :winking:

Russian Lad
05-09-2015, 03:28
RL, 250 jobs, these workers have families, the plant will employ more than 250 button pushers, truck drivers, cleaners, security guards ,etc.

It is a drop in the ocean and you know it. I think rampant unemployment is just around the corner, keep your links to those stats you showed the other day. My understanding is that the big cities (except for Moscow where 80% of the cash is anyway, of course) will be hit the hardest. It will be an interesting winter. I am seriously considering stockpiling on groceries.

Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
Ironic in times of political tensions and sanctions!
What's this 's' word you speak of?

Actually one doesn't entirely exclude the other. For instance, in prisons inmates are allowed to work for some cash, it allows them to be socially and labor-wise ready for the release. Breivik is an extreme I don't like, but look at his three rooms cell. I live in a way more deplorable conditions.
Besides, one day the sanctions will be lifted I think, after they reach the declared goals (as well as the undeclared ones), look at Iran and Cuba, so there is no need to severe the ties entirely - at least that's how I understand it.

fenrir
05-09-2015, 17:04
Yes, more work for the Russians, less jobs for the Americans .

Of course it is a good thing and more things like this need to happen to help the economy recover, but in light of the 10% cut in government workers (7000 from the police in Moscow alone), RL is right: it is a drop in the bucket.

Russian Lad
05-09-2015, 17:10
7000 from the police in Moscow alone

62000 all over the country. One of my neighbors works in the police, he will be scratching his unemployed arse in November, and he has an unemployed wife and two children. Somehow I don't think Judge will offer him employment. His family will be facing hunger in Autumn... Judge, perhaps I can ask him to PM you and you can send some grass over to boil?:smug:

fenrir
06-09-2015, 21:29
The weapons are just f*cking crazy now, firing hundreds of projectiles a second. I blame it on TV and the movie industry for the amount of idiots living in the USofA. I say we just blockade from Mexico to Canada and let them kill each other.

Here is your proof, big guy. And it is libel, not slander, you illiterate.

TolkoRaz
06-09-2015, 21:44
Here is your proof, big guy. And it is libel, not slander, you illiterate.

?????????????????? :confused:

fenrir
06-09-2015, 22:03
?????????????????? :confused:

It's a response to Wally regarding post 28 on Behind Russia’s TV propaganda machine and post 87 on Syria,Game Changer?

Nobbynumbnuts
20-09-2015, 19:46
From Russia's own Rosstat federal statistics agency....

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russians-incomes-fall-at-fastest-pace-in-8-months/531560.html

Russians' wages fell in August at their fastest pace since the start of the year, according to official data published Thursday that also showed a continuing slump in capital investment, industrial output and retail spending.

Russia's economy has been shaken by a collapse in the price of oil since summer 2014 and sanctions imposed over the Ukraine crisis that have restricted trade and cross-border financial flows.

Data for August published by the Rosstat federal statistics agency showed that average wages dropped by 6 percent compared to July — the steepest monthly decline since January — to 31,870 rubles ($485) per month. Adjusted for inflation, which is running at 15.8 percent, the average wage in August was worth 9.8 percent less than in the same month in 2014.

Official unemployment in August remained unchanged from July at 4.1 million people, or 5.3 percent of the working population. Rather than laying off workers, many companies have responded to the economic crisis by cutting the hours and pay of their staff, emerging markets analysts Capital Economics said in a report earlier this week.

Average total incomes, which include pensions and other state payouts that better track inflation, were almost unchanged from July, but worth 4.9 less than a year ago.

With less money in consumers' pockets, retail sales were 9.1 percent lower in August than in the same month a year ago, according to Rosstat. Industrial output was down 4.3 percent and capital investment was 6.8 percent lower than in August 2014.

The International Monetary Fund said in May that it expects Russia's economy to shrink by 3.4 percent this year.

fenrir
21-09-2015, 21:55
Putin Faces Growing Exodus as Russia's Banking, Tech Pros Flee

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-21/putin-faces-growing-exodus-as-russia-s-banking-tech-pros-flee?cmpid=yhoo

fenrir
21-09-2015, 22:17
Does anyone know the value of sales at this year's MAKS? I've just read that it is low compared to previous years.

Judge
21-09-2015, 22:40
Does anyone know the value of sales at this year's MAKS? I've just read that it is low compared to previous years.

It wasn't the best year for sales but deals were made, no figures but some info,
http://m.rbth.com/defence/2015/08/31/8_things_we_learned_at_the_2015_maks_air_show_48875.html

TolkoRaz
21-09-2015, 23:02
It wasn't the best year for sales but deals were made, no figures but some info,
http://m.rbth.com/defence/2015/08/31/8_things_we_learned_at_the_2015_maks_air_show_48875.html

I have not read the article, but were Sanctions to blame or just a lack of money due to the downturn in oil prices?

TolkoRaz
21-09-2015, 23:04
Putin Faces Growing Exodus as Russia's Banking, Tech Pros Flee

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-21/putin-faces-growing-exodus-as-russia-s-banking-tech-pros-flee?cmpid=yhoo

Do you spend your entire day trawling the WWW for bad news stories about the RF?

Judge
21-09-2015, 23:11
I have not read the article, but were Sanctions to blame or just a lack of money due to the downturn in oil prices?

Participation was low compared to previous shows,article says it had more of a Middle Eastern flavour,Chinese companies tripled from last shows.

Judge
21-09-2015, 23:13
Do you spend your entire day trawling the WWW for bad news stories about the RF?

It's his hobby, :smile:
Here's an article Fenrir forgot to post,
Russia’s Nabiullina named Central Bank Governor of the Year http://www.rt.com/business/315692-cb-russia-award-euromoney/

frankdulzone
22-09-2015, 05:27
That article didn't sound like "bad news" it sounded like Putin is just very successful at getting rid of future traitors :ninja:

Uncle Wally
30-09-2015, 19:17
Bad news for Russia haters.

The World Bank has said Russia will recover in 2016/2017. Expecting a ruble recovery, as much as 53 rubles to the dollar.

Thank you please return to your envious hatred.

Russian Lad
30-09-2015, 19:21
The World Bank has said Russia will recover in 2016/2017. Expecting a ruble recovery, as much as 53 rubles to the dollar.

Thank you please return to your envious hatred.

You seem to hate Russia and Russians more than anyone else here, you supported everything (from the Russian side) that has led to the dollar costing 65 rubles instead of 30 and to 22 million dirt-poor Russians instead of 12 million, like 2 years ago.
If you read their report (I doubt you did, most likely you just read the headlines, judging by the fact that you are wrong AGAIN - keep reading), they offered the optimistic scenario (58 rubles, not 53) and the pessimistic one, with the dollar costing 67, - by 2017. The same concerns the economic growth. Anyway, since when exactly do you believe what the World Bank says?:) Even I don't believe everything they say, especially when it comes to Russia.