PDA

View Full Version : Why Are YOU Here?

MissAnnElk
17-02-2008, 10:31
I stole this concept from Helen Fielding's novel, Cause Celeb. But I think it works anywhere . . . might make for some interesting arguments . . . I mean discussions.

Albertina
17-02-2008, 10:37
hey, missionaries are what in this context?

MissAnnElk
17-02-2008, 10:42
hey, missionaries are what in this context?

Oh, I leave it to you to define . . . could be spiritual or political or cultural, I suppose.

In the novel the poll is cynical. But we don't have to be.

turkgida
17-02-2008, 11:41
because i was a misfit, i wasn't paid well, which broke my heart, so i've made it my life mission to be a mercenary :10241:

Now,what does that make me? other? :5387:

noooo, dear god, not again

Albertina
17-02-2008, 14:24
because i was a misfit, i wasn't paid well, which broke my heart, so i've made it my life mission to be a mercenary :10241:

because i was a misfit, i wasn't paid well, which broke my heart, so i've made it my life mission to be an expat

Wodin
17-02-2008, 14:53
Purely mercenary.

DBND
17-02-2008, 19:33
Because I was offered an opportunity, and when I checked the ground, it felt good.

It still does.

Miracle77777
17-02-2008, 21:37

:thumbsup: Respect, Turkgida!!!
Could not say better!! :applause:

To MissAnn - nice Poll.....deep....curious about next responding.....:lovepot:

TGP
17-02-2008, 22:36
I don't know if searching for a job is something mercenary, but it was my first reason to join the site almost 2 years ago (it was the "old' site).
Then I got drawn into discussions... started using the site for obtaining necessary information.... and just having real great fun while reading some posts. :D Good practice for English as well!

BTW, this site did help me to find a job I was looking for, though it took some time, but the job is exactly what I wanted to have!
Kudos to Expat.ru! :applause:

P.S. One more thing: this site can help those who has a broken heart... ;)

MissAnnElk
18-02-2008, 12:03
I have now found

My Apartment
My Babysitter
My Russian Teacher

through this site . . . THANKS!

bambina
18-02-2008, 12:28
None of the above :). A friend of mine, Hazelnut, told me about the site, when I metioned that I haven't been practicing English for a while, saying that people here speak English and exchange their ideas :), so, thought would be nice to join. So far, all I can say that it is one of my favorite sites :)!

MissAnnElk
10-03-2008, 19:42
I didn't write the question very well . . . I meant why are you in Moscow?

Gypsy
10-03-2008, 19:46
Missionary then/now mercenary.

Miracle77777
11-03-2008, 00:12
I have now found

My Apartment
My Babysitter
My Russian Teacher

through this site . . . THANKS!

I didn't write the question very well . . . I meant why are you in Moscow?

:eh:
I am bit confused what is the question now??......
So I am answering to both:D

Why I am in Moscow??
I am a missioneer of good will;)
and mercenary of opportunites here....

Why I am on Expat??
Because I love this forum and members....
Because we are doing here a great job of exchange of knowledge, skills and other tips between natives and countries....

As TGP, I also had found my students, French teacher, and good friends here.....

davtan
18-03-2008, 20:45
I stole this concept from Helen Fielding's novel, Cause Celeb. But I think it works anywhere . . . might make for some interesting arguments . . . I mean discussions.

Why ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A... For love..

When my wife was killed just over 10 years ago, i was living the life of a 'recluse' for7 years ,till my 18 year old Daughter bought me a computer and told me to do something about my lonelinss.It all started on January 10th 2004, i was surfing the net ,when a familiar knocking came on my I.C.Q , A window appeared and had written in it 'hello ', i replied ' hello ' . It was a young lady wanting to chat all the way from Moscow to England ! We chatted as often as possible (with a 3 hour time difference. We chatted about every thing and any thing we could think of, it did not matter what as long as we were chatting to each other !! We did the usual thing of exchanging photos and e-mails. 'WOW' That was my reaction when i saw this beautiful Russian woman , slim and blonde ! not the 'olympic shot putter ' i imagined ! in fact quite the opposite !.We got on so well that we were talking about me visiting her in Moscow,and i thought it was a great idea !! To be honest i had fallen in love with this woman from the very first time i saw her photo, when i told her this she just laughed saying ' you cannot fall in love with a photo ! ' but i had . Anyway i was planning to visit her as soon as possible, i arranged it so i would go there 11th March ( yes just 2 months after saying ' hello' ).I was only there for 2 nights,i stayed in a hotel in the centre of Moscow ,(Ukraina) and we got on really well (as friends ) only on the 13th (when i was leaving )did we kiss !! . i got back to England and straight away started to book my next visit! we were still chatting at every opportunity and she told me that she was in love with me !!my next visit was only 9 weeks later , i arrived in Moscow on the 29th April till the 2nd May, this time we stated in an apartment! we stayed together for the whole time and it was wonderful ! it was heartbreaking to leave her !! but planned my next trip for August ! now here is a wierd thing !we have the same birthday !! 6th August ,so i planned to arrive in Moscow on the 5th so we could be together for our birthdays ! i was staying for 10 whole wonderful days !! we again rented an appartment and stayed together ,never leaving each others side !! Needless to say that with all these trips to and from Moscow it was quite expensive ,what with 'visa's, flights,apartments and spending money,it was draining my savings (but well worth it ). After 10 days together we just did not want to part !! but had to !! But i promised to be back !!. I had made up my mind to move to Moscow to be with her for ever !! i had to find a job first ,which i did ,and so i moved here on the 4th November 2004 got an apartment ,and here we are still together now we are Married !! so for me it was "TO Russia FOR love !!!

MissAnnElk
18-03-2008, 21:00
so i moved here on the 4th November 2004 got an apartment ,and here we are still together now we are Married !! so for me it was "TO Russia FOR love !!!

What a great story!

Bels
18-03-2008, 21:53
What a lovely story, Davtan. And my story is very is very similar. Although my first meeting with my now wife was in London. I wasn't as adventurous as you, and it took her a long time for her to pursuade me to visit her in Moscow, the last place on earth for me at the time. For some time we either met in either London, Luton, or Paris.

Eventually we met in Moscow oblast, and I enjoyed my time with her
there.

We have now been happily married since December 2004. I now have a 23 month old son, and a 10 year old son.

So I came to to Russia for love reasons as well.

Miracle77777
19-03-2008, 00:38
Why ??

A... For love..

When my wife was killed just over 10 years ago, i was living the life of a 'recluse' for7 years ,till my 18 year old Daughter bought me a computer and told me to do something about my lonelinss.It all started on January 10th 2004, i was surfing the net ,when a familiar knocking came on my I.C.Q , 'WOW' That was my reaction when i saw this beautiful Russian woman , slim and blonde ! not the 'olympic shot putter ' After 10 days together we just did not want to part !! but had to !! But i promised to be back !!. I had made up my mind to move to Moscow to be with her for ever !! i had to find a job first ,which i did ,and so i moved here on the 4th November 2004 got an apartment ,and here we are still together now we are Married !! so for me it was "TO Russia FOR love !!!

Sorry for repeating - but wanted to express my impressions and gratitude to you for such a romantic, wise and useful post!
Wish you a lot of happy years ahead, which you as the most devoted and loveable man deserved:)
Thanks.....

Random
19-03-2008, 10:33
Was offered a missionary position and it seemed rude to refuse ....

Was offered the job of opening a Rep office back in the mid-90's - been here ever since - can I go home now !

Natkin
19-03-2008, 10:36
Was offered a missionary position and it seemed rude to refuse ....

Was offered the job of opening a Rep office back in the mid-90's - been here ever since - can I go home now !

Yes, you can. Tell your boss Nat allowed you.:wavey:

Natkin
20-03-2008, 00:46
Yes, you can. Tell your boss Nat allowed you.:wavey:

On the second thought - I didn`t see that legendary kitchen yet....:cool:
You stay!!!:idea:

Random
20-03-2008, 12:05
Hahah the legend that is my kitchen !

Dear god that all seems so long ago !