PDA

View Full Version : Vermin

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 18:26
Mr Elk and I passed a mouse on the stairs today. It was cute, as mice go. But I don't want to share my building with vermin.

That said, it was the first pest of any kind I've seen. I expected worse in a big city.

What verimn shares your building with you?

elis
16-02-2008, 18:34
Hmmm...no vermin as of yet (that I've seen.) Just watch...now I'll be infested.

As for mice, my mom always gets them in the winter (she lives in an old farmhouse in Maryland) and they seem to like coming in from the cold. She actually found one doing acrobats in her oven--swinging from one rack to the next.

Here though, I did find bug spray (with icons of REALLY scary looking bugs on the label) that the landlord left behind. I wasn't going to think about it until it got warmer...

AndreyS
16-02-2008, 18:40
Nothing from the list. Never ever seen. True. I live in the block of flats in the northern part of Moscow.

Albertina
16-02-2008, 18:43
Mites are everywhere in all your houses, rooms and beds.
The question is a bit misleading, cause lots of those 'beasts' are completely invisible :devil:

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 18:47
Well, yes, there are all those microscopic mites . . . in our eyebrows, etc. But those aren't unique to any particular market.

When I lived in Miami, we had "palmetto bugs." Had nothing to do with housekeeping. I remember crying to a friend about having them, and he just said, "Get to know your exterminator." So I did.

Not passing any judgement on Moscow. Just curious about the flora and fauna.

elis
16-02-2008, 18:48
Mites are everywhere in all your houses, rooms and beds.
The question is a bit misleading, cause lots of those 'beasts' are completely invisible :devil:

...even in our eyebrows!!!! ((That one's always creeped me out.)

I think it's the gross, nasty, dispicable vermin we're looking for here, though.

BTW, you say all "your" houses, etc. etc. Was that a typo, or is there something special about your house? :rolleyes:

Albertina
16-02-2008, 18:48
NOT in my house, but often on the streets I see a random rat or a mouse! :trampoline:

No squirrels as in the states :wazzup:

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 18:49
Mr Mouseman on the stairs was actually pretty cute.

I've seen rats. He wasn't a rat. But I'm glad I have a cat.

elis
16-02-2008, 18:51
Mr Mouseman on the stairs was actually pretty cute.

I've seen rats.
He wasn't a rat.
But I'm glad I have a cat.

Hey...that's pretty good haiku. :)

turkgida
16-02-2008, 18:55
MissAnnElk, u may wanna get a few of them sonic repellers. Once plugged, they continuously play "danger alert" in ...er... mice language :confused:
No worries, the sound frequency is set higher than our ears' audible range, yet within the mice's.
In fact, next time I see u, I'll be happy to bring one for you. (however awkward it might seem: a rodent repeller gift :yikes: :yikes: )

Don't know of a less mess-free solution against rodents.

Ahhh.. and no, I don't sell them :) I've been using them forever, at work, in the warehouse and a few other places.

Love

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 18:58
When we lived in Buenos Aires, I made the mistake of allowing a dove to nest on our bedroom window sill. All was fine until the fledglings left the nest . . . then we were infested with mites. I had to get a flea bomb and bomb the apartment. It was awful!

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 18:59
Hey...that's pretty good haiku. :)

I'm a poet and don't know it . . . but my feet show it because they're LONGFELLOW'S!

SalTheReturn
16-02-2008, 19:22
oh once again UK has to be the worst country

go to London, rent a place (and I am talking about 6 years ago) for 65 pounds a week and you will find rats

i lived with rats for over 6 months, they were eating my sugar and biting my bread

i went back to italy and spread poison all over my room, back a week later all poison was eaten

i then rent another place for 140pounds a week, that had no mice

AndreyS
16-02-2008, 19:31
Thank you Sal for this picturesque decsription. Maybe the matter is age of the house.
In the more or less new building (block of flats or hotel etc.) in London or Moscow its not likely to find vermins. In old houses of course you can face all that stuff.
When I rented a flat in the old house on the ground floor 15 years ago (in Dolgoprudny, 25 km North of Moscow) I saw rats there. Once a rat jumped on me and even scratched my leg when I was in bed. Which was not pleasant. Soon after my cat came to live with me (see my av).

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 19:44
When I lived in Miami, I kept a lot of things in the refridgerator . . . sugar, flour . . . anything critters might want or that might go stale fast.

AndreyS
16-02-2008, 19:46
When I lived in Miami, I kept a lot of things in the refridgerator . . . sugar, flour . . . anything critters might want or that might go stale fast.

I was never worried about that neglecting it all ;-)))

Wodin
16-02-2008, 22:47
Never saw any vermin in Moscow (not of the non-human types anyway) or in SPB. As to other countries I have lived in, I have had many problems with beetles and cockroackes in Naples and Rome, mice in Tripoli and bats (yes bats) in Cairo.

Never had a problem with mice or rats in London (unlike poor Sal), but there again I suppose one gets what one pays for.

Clean32
16-02-2008, 22:59
in thailand and Laos, samoa and india there were these little lizards that would run around the place, accross the celing up the walls, usaly one per room, thay would sit on the mossy net over your bed at night to catch the mossys atracted by your boddy heat, you get used to them.
i got a cat once to deal with the mice and larger lizards that would wonder in all the time, first cat ate a centiped ( about 10" long) and died, second cat got eaten by a snake, lol a 14 year old girl from next door rescued me from that, and then took the snake home for dinner, to which i was invited. it wasint bad actualy

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 23:09
in thailand and Laos, samoa and india there were these little lizards that would run around the place, accross the celing up the walls, usaly one per room, thay would sit on the mossy net over your bed at night to catch the mossys atracted by your boddy heat, you get used to them.

Geckos!

I had those in Taiwan. They shout their names, "GECK-oh!" I loved them, but they startled Mr. Elk.

In Florida, we had little chameleon lizards with ruby colored throats. I had one who lived in my gas grill. I always had to check to make sure he wasn't home before I fired it up.

Miracle77777
16-02-2008, 23:10
Cockroaches!!
They are everywhere !!
And even if I try to keep my place clean (and, I would say - I am really eager about it///)- they are still coming from my neighbors!!
:rant: :rant:
Gosh - it is annoying ....:9437:
I could stand mices.....(saw them just a couple of times in my life..:)..and even spiders....(smallest ones...:watching:)
But Cockroaches are disgusting...:vomit:

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 23:13
second cat got eaten by a snake, lol a 14 year old girl from next door rescued me from that, and then took the snake home for dinner, to which I was invited. it wasint bad actualy

I had a dog I rescued off the highway in Florida who got into a fight with a snake in my backyard about two weeks after my first child was born. Blood everywhere, but I didn't know whose. Or if the snake was poisonous.

I picked up the snake pieces and put them in a plastic bag. Dog was HORRIBLE in the car, so I called Nice Gay Couple who were neighbors and asked them to follow me with the baby . . . I would take Dog to the after-hours vet and see if he was dying (Mr. Elk was working late and following the saga over the phone).

Turned out the snake had been harmless.

Miracle77777
16-02-2008, 23:13
Geckos!

I had those in Taiwan. They shout their names, "GECK-oh!" I loved them, but they startled Mr. Elk.

In Florida, we had little chameleon lizards with ruby colored throats. I had one who lived in my gas grill. I always had to check to make sure he wasn't home before I fired it up.

:yikes: Are you always so kind with your non-invited Guests??
;)

Albertina
16-02-2008, 23:14
There are no roaches in our building. It's truly amazing and great!!!

Clean32
16-02-2008, 23:20
There are no roaches in our building. It's truly amazing and great!!!

actualy this is about the only place i have liveed with out cocroches, havent seen one ever in russia.

77777 in thailand thay are called Jing Jokes, same animal, if you catch them buy the tail it comes off, thay just run away and grow another one.

as to snakes, being cornerd by a king cobra, and being rescued but a skinny 14 year old girl is just wounderfule for the ego. the girl just used her hands

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 23:25
:yikes: Are you always so kind with your non-invited Guests??
;)

Lizards are okay, especially since they eat the other bugs.

What I really cannot tolerate are spiders. . . ewwww. It's irrational and almost phobic. But I just can't. I've caught bats and taken them out of buildings. Bees. Wasps. No problem. But spiders. Ugh.

Miracle77777
16-02-2008, 23:26
actualy this is about the only place i have liveed with out cocroches, havent seen one ever in russia.

You and Alb are lucky.....
But want to warn you - they are constant inhabitants of the world..and Russia ....:D
Anyway - I do know for sure - they like to live in those small trucks with food.....So that's why - I NEVER buying food there....even if I am d*mnly starving!! :iagree:

77777 in thailand thay are called Jing Jokes, same animal, if you catch them buy the tail it comes off, thay just run away and grow another one.
as to snakes, being cornerd by a king cobra, and being rescued but a skinny 14 year old girl is just wounderfule for the ego. the girl just used her hands

:yikes: :yikes:
When I see them - I could not to move, really.......not even thinking about catch them by tail!! LOL LOL
:10641: :10641:

Miracle77777
16-02-2008, 23:32
Lizards are okay, especially since they eat the other bugs.

What I really cannot tolerate are spiders. . . ewwww. It's irrational and almost phobic. But I just can't. I've caught bats and taken them out of buildings. Bees. Wasps. No problem. But spiders. Ugh.

:iagree:
Lizards could be bearable....Even sometimes amazing, looking on their coloured skin:) but these exotic types...

>Bees and wasps - :11513:
Man, I have an allergy on them!!
Once some nasty bee....or wasp byted me....:cry: it was an awful reaction afterwards...
Maybe I am mean...but I felt really happy to kill that one....:evilgrin:

>Spiders...:cry:
MissAnn.....what a horrors for night!!!
:545: :10641: ;)

MissAnnElk
16-02-2008, 23:42
:iagree:
Lizards could be bearable....Even sometimes amazing, looking on their coloured skin:) but these exotic types...

>Bees and wasps - Man, I have an allergy on them!!
Once some nasty bee....or wasp byted me....:cry: it was an awful reaction afterwards...
Maybe I am mean...but I felt really happy to kill that one....:evilgrin:

>Spiders...MissAnn.....what a horrors for night!!!

Oh, yes. The lizards can be beautiful.

An allergy is another matter. That can be a serious problem.

My Youngest Daughter is not allergic, but she is a magnet for insects that sting. Once, in the Czech Republic, she got stung twice in two days! And once was on her ear. I felt so bad for her.

Miracle77777
17-02-2008, 00:03
Oh, yes. The lizards can be beautiful.

An allergy is another matter. That can be a serious problem.

My Youngest Daughter is not allergic, but she is a magnet for insects that sting. Once, in the Czech Republic, she got stung twice in two days! And once was on her ear. I felt so bad for her.

I understand and sympathize to you, MissA.....:iagree:
Never mind - is there an allergy or no - it is always BAD :11513:
....with allergy it could be even lethal...:cussing:
Anyway - in Moscow you will not find toooo dangerous insects...with stings....I hope so....:D

SalTheReturn
17-02-2008, 03:32
Never saw any vermin in Moscow (not of the non-human types anyway) or in SPB. As to other countries I have lived in, I have had many problems with beetles and cockroackes in Naples and Rome, mice in Tripoli and bats (yes bats) in Cairo.

Never had a problem with mice or rats in London (unlike poor Sal), but there again I suppose one gets what one pays for.

OH YOU MUST BE LYING!!!

LONDON IS FULL OF MICE, EVEN IN THE DOWNTOWN CAFES YOU CAN SEE THEM

YOU DO NOT KEEP LITTER BINS AND THIS IS WHY IT IS FULL OF THEM

EVEN STARBUCKS IN SHAFT AVENUE HAS GOT MICE

this show what a liar you are, my suggestion is that you stick to Bels...what a team you make!!!

Wodin
17-02-2008, 03:55
Sal, I suspect, on the basis of that post, that you must be either drunk or stoned. Or alternatively have lost the last few bits and pieces of mind that you might have had. I have reported your post simply because it's offensive.

As to my experience back home, I say again...never had any mice or rats problems. There again I live in a clean, well maintained neighbourhood and the closest Italian restaurant is two streets away. And I don't rent either.

As to sticking with Bels or anyone else....no thanks...I prefer to stay alone. It's more fun that way.

So chill out little one....or, if you don't wish to chill out, just go dip your head in a vat of boiling tar.

SalTheReturn
17-02-2008, 11:53
Woodin you are lying once again, and no i was not drunk after 3 pints yesterday night.

Let me try to write it better.

Is not back in 2000 65 sterling pounds a week for a single room enough to have a mice-free apartment?

Can you tell me why all foreigners will note that London's streets (even WestEnd) are full of mice?

Can you tell me why I met people who had mice in their hiperly-expensive flats? of course I am not talking about people in Belgravia...

Ever thought that you might better place litter bins and risk few bombings a year rather than having the city infested by mice?

Cen you tell me why waiter/waitress would carefully mop the floor and then mice appear even on the clean floor?

Woodin I am not saying London is infested by mice I am saying that (correct me if I am wrong) compared to other first class capitals (Paris, Berlin, Rome, etc...) the issue of mice and rats is more evident. As same as are the issues of drugs (1000000 ecstasy pills consumed every weekend in the UK), underage pregnancy (more than Russia), anti-social/deviant behaviour, petty crime, etc...
You seem to know your country a lot less than what I do...

PS. so unfair from you to pick Naples, those suckers do not even have the money to empty their trash bins and are putting to shame the whole country

Wodin
17-02-2008, 14:05
I do believe that you are tring to wind me up Sal..:rant:..ok...if you chose to believe that I'm lying, that's fine with me...:brush:

Clean32
17-02-2008, 14:10
I do believe that you are tring to wind me up Sal..:rant:..ok...if you chose to believe that I'm lying, that's fine with me...:brush:

thats just what sal the village idot does, best to just put him on block, evey time his fingers tuch the keybord he starts to dribble so

Judge
17-02-2008, 14:23
The only mice i saw in London was in the underground,when waiting for the train to come ,you can often see mice running around the tracks.

TGP
17-02-2008, 14:25
No vermin in my building. We had cockroaches, but they disappeared a few years ago.
I read that roaches are leaving Moscow. Their "population" is decreasing, and actually no one can explain why it's happening.

AndreyS
17-02-2008, 14:34
The only mice i saw in London was in the underground,when waiting for the train to come ,you can often see mice running around the tracks.

Not too often, I d say. It depends on the presence of smth edible there.

Judge
17-02-2008, 14:40
Not too often, I d say. It depends on the presence of smth edible there.
Ture,not often,the odd mouse will pop its head out and sniff around.I have never seen mice on the metro here in Moscow,but I have heard that some very strange creatures live deep inside the tunnels.:watching:

SalTheReturn
17-02-2008, 14:49

Ok Judge, tell me...do you have now trash bins in the west end or still chinese restaurants put their rubbish out on the streets and wait for people to collect it?

are you arguing you have never seen mice in places like Piccadilly and all the like?

turkgida
17-02-2008, 15:01
Mr Elk and I passed a mouse on the stairs today. It was cute, as mice go

see MissAnnElk, thats CHAOS THEORY in practice once again, in front of our very eyes.
the butterfly being that one cute mice and tornado in texas being the Sal-Wodin posts :)

Judge
17-02-2008, 15:07
Ok Judge, tell me...do you have now trash bins in the west end or still chinese restaurants put their rubbish out on the streets and wait for people to collect it?

are you arguing you have never seen mice in places like Piccadilly and all the like?

Remembering now..I did see mice in Chelsea where my mate was staying in some student building.On the streets of central London I didn't see any,maybe it's because I wasn't looking at the ground.I have seen many rats outside and sometimes inside my building here in Moscow.Once I had a rat in my flat,the litlle sh*t ate its way from the basement into my flat,it took me 2 months to kill it.Now I see no rats where i'm living because the workers have put cement everywhere.
In my house in Malta,I have had mice,lizards and flying cockroaches ,the lizards are ok,they just stick to the walls and look like decoration on the walls.

AndreyS
17-02-2008, 15:17
but I have heard that some very strange creatures live deep inside the tunnels.:watching:

Oh, Judge, just urban myths...

Judge
17-02-2008, 15:22

So you have heard as well,hmmmm,something about the 2nd metro down there with unknown creatures roaming around.I think it was on tv once,some workers have seen strange things down there.When the train stops in the tunnel,I often look out the windows to try and catch a glimpse of these unkown crreatures.:brush::brush::brush:

MissAnnElk
17-02-2008, 15:23

I dunno . . . It's possible. Did you ever see the French movie . . . was it DIVA? There was a whole 'nother world in the Paris metro in that movie.

AndreyS
17-02-2008, 15:33
So you have heard as well,hmmmm,something about the 2nd metro down there with unknown creatures roaming around.I think it was on tv once,some workers have seen strange things down there.When the train stops in the tunnel,I often look out the windows to try and catch a glimpse of these unkown crreatures.:brush::brush::brush:

Journalists do their work whipping up rumours... And all that docile people try to find these imaginary creatures. I dislike journalists running for sensation....

AndreyS
17-02-2008, 15:35
I dunno . . . It's possible. Did you ever see the French movie . . . was it DIVA? There was a whole 'nother world in the Paris metro in that movie.

Oh yeah, Ann, I agree, that's an issue of art, cinema etc...

Judge
17-02-2008, 15:39

Yep, anything is possible,the film does ring a bell.On this tv show,people who worked down there wouldn't dare go down to some places alone.In time creatures change and can grow into anything,we have all heard about 2 headed fishes in Russia,down there ,there are suppose to be huge rat like monsters..This isn't the metro that we use,there is suppose to be a 2nd metro down there,much deeper .

MissAnnElk
17-02-2008, 15:42
I read in a guide book that there WAS a second metro for the political elite . . . not sure if it is used any more, but it made sense.

Oh, and in NYC there are always legends about alligators in the sewers . . . piranahs and other exotic pets people have released that grow in the pipes/subway/whatever . . .

Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe rain, maybe snow.

AndreyS
17-02-2008, 15:46
Yep, anything is possible,the film does ring a bell.On this tv show,people who worked down there wouldn't dare go down to some places alone.In time creatures change and can grow into anything,we have all heard about 2 headed fishes in Russia,down there ,there are suppose to be huge rat like monsters..This isn't the metro that we use,there is suppose to be a 2nd metro down there,much deeper .

Ofcourse everything is possible but there must be facts stated and checked before we can speak in serious about that. Nowadays there are a lot of strong technical means to observe this phenomenon and state the facts. No facts yet... Sorry Judge for my incredulity, I am physicist...

AndreyS
17-02-2008, 15:48
I read in a guide book that there WAS a second metro for the political elite . . . not sure if it is used any more, but it made sense.

Yes, it exists.

Judge
17-02-2008, 15:57
Can you see the croc in these pics..:10310:
:watching::watching:
English Russia Moscow Underground Tunnels (HDR) (http://www.englishrussia.com/?p=1272)

turkgida
17-02-2008, 16:03
English Russia Moscow Underground Tunnels (HDR) (http://www.englishrussia.com/?p=1272)

more curious, what does "VI idite v tis a ya-damoy" mean?
(or, do i wanna know?)

AndreyS
17-02-2008, 16:05

I wouldn't go there for free as it's scary...
BTW, what's croc? No croc in my monol. dict.

AndreyS
17-02-2008, 16:08
(or, do i wanna know?)

You go to TIS (some abbreviation), and I will go home.

Judge
17-02-2008, 16:09
(or, do i wanna know?)

No idea ....

Judge
17-02-2008, 16:13
BTW, what's croc? No croc in my monol. dict.

Same here,maybe not alone but in a group I might go...
Croc is short for crocodile..

turkgida
17-02-2008, 16:14
ohhh, MissAnnElk, it took one cute mice
and here i am, staring at drawing of an adjustable wrench stuck to an a... :)
thank you very much for the thread hehe

AndreyS
17-02-2008, 16:16
Same here,maybe not alone but in a group I might go...
Croc is short for crocodile..

For USD 5000!

turkgida
17-02-2008, 16:20
For USD 5000!

all right then, tomorrow's new thread: worst jobs

Judge
17-02-2008, 16:23
For USD 5000!

I'd even pay few rubles to go down and wander about.take some good pics...They should do them up and take tourists down,old bomb shelters,people are interested in this sort of stuff.

MissAnnElk
17-02-2008, 16:33
ohhh, MissAnnElk, it took one cute mice
and here i am, staring at drawing of an adjustable wrench stuck to an a... :)
thank you very much for the thread hehe

This is what I do . . .

MissAnnElk
17-02-2008, 16:36
I'd even pay few rubles to go down and wander about.take some good pics...They should do them up and take tourists down,old bomb shelters,people are interested in this sort of stuff.

In Paris one can pay to take a tour of the sewers . . . I have always arrived on days when it is closed (tres francais . . . ).

I have also toured the catacombs . . . where all the bodies got moved to during the plague. Very cool. Mr. Elk did not like it at all, but I thought it was very interesting.

turkgida
17-02-2008, 16:36
I'd even pay few rubles to go down and wander about

:11629:

Judge
17-02-2008, 16:41
In Paris one can pay to take a tour of the sewers . . . I have always arrived on days when it is closed (tres francais . . . ).

I have also toured the catacombs . . . where all the bodies got moved to during the plague. Very cool. Mr. Elk did not like it at all, but I thought it was very interesting.

Nice one...I saw a good programme about all the tunnels under Paris.Many tourist don't even know about these tunnels,so much to see,all from the Roman times.The programme did say the catacombs is a must see place,very cool it must have been,if I ever go to Paris,i'll check it out.

turkgida
17-02-2008, 16:43

Same here...

after 10 mins, change of heart:

I'd even pay few rubles to go down and wander about.take some good pics...

????Judge???? :eh:
btw, shouldn't you be playing chess?

Judge
17-02-2008, 16:51
I don't know where KG is,but we did say an evening game..no rush really,it's a nice sunday lazy afternoon,my only concern is that I have to pop out to get some cigs...minus 9 it is...

turkgida
17-02-2008, 17:06
I don't know where KG is...

hmmm :eh: where's my book of universal competition etiquette?
can't find it, but i'm damn sure there was a ruling for no-shows. just can't remember what the ruling was...? :eh: