PDA

View Full Version : so it will be 2 years Borodino and buckwheat?

Benedikt
19-12-2014, 07:31
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/putin-confident-russia-en-route-to-recovery-without-reforms/513616.html

no Parmesan and Brie or Camembert?no Maasdam for Bashkortistans elite? No Austrian pork (which I never saw anyway in 25 years here in Russia).
The Russian sailors are coming home from France without their ship.. at least for the time being.
Sanctions against Russia, when they really will start biting the EU, will show an even stronger re-emerging of the left (le Pen in France, the FPO in Austria,even in Germany..).I think Frau Merkel will pay the price for her hate for VV on next election day.
Said that, all this is np consolation for millions of Russians. But the people are resilient here.the ones who want to go because it is so bad here, well the grass is NOT greener on the other side. though it might be THIS time, there is no snow in half the =winter = countries and they already start counting their losses.
Russi is like a wet dog, thrown in the water, it will NOT drown, it will swim out onto dry land, shake of the water and be happy again!

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 08:04
First of all, NO ONE gave you this right to speak on behalf of all Russians and for the whole Russia.
Secondly, it will be more prosaic than that, Ben. The elites don't have shortages of the food you have mentioned. But the average Ivan will be fired or kept on a meager salary. He has been ripped off already by them.
However, I have a growing feeling there will be no two years.:)
Didn't I tell you all two years ago this time would come? I have to be careful with my wishes the next time, I didn't mean to upset you.:)
You are supporting absolutely the wrong cause. I think you will feel sorry for this, if you live to this day. When everything will be explained to you - you are a grown up man, you are supposed to know how to find and analize information. This is not rocket science here.
Wonder what Rusmeister thinks now.:) He has been silent.:)
Ok, will go to the kitchen now, have the caviar and the Champagne waiting for me there. My usual breakfast these days. I plan to enjoy every minute of this. Have a nice working day, Ben. If your salary is not paid in rubles, demand it. You deserve to suffer with the rest since you have approved the madness. Show us some russky resilience in the face of hardship. Cheers.
P.S. There are shortages of buckwheat already, you gotta learn how to grow potatoes or something.

annasophia
19-12-2014, 10:32
RL has now bestowed upon himself the imperial wherewithall to decide who has the right to speak about what, and who has not.

Your democratic values are peeking through, Russian Lad. Impressive reasoning.

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 10:39
RL has now bestowed upon himself the imperial wherewithall to decide who has the right to speak about what, and who has not.

Your democratic values are peeking through, Russian Lad. Impressive reasoning.

Well, he can speak like that, I don't mind. All I said no one authorized him to speak on behalf of all Russians and Russia itself. He is not even a Russian. I am a Russian and he is a foreigner, and I don't share neither his views nor his attitudes as far as the current Russia is concerned. Live with it.

JanC
19-12-2014, 10:42
The 2 years remark is just dangling a carrot in front of the serfs from very far away. The economy was already heading for stagnation while oil was above 100$ and there were no sanctions.

What did he actually say of substance? Nothing. Half the things he said were superficial, wrong, or flat out irrational. But he could answer whatever he wanted, as there was no reply possible to any of his answers.

Russia is crippled by a lack of reform, the kind of archaic political and economic 'management' in place here currently is a huge drag and will continue to be. Where is growth going to come from? "Somewhere, in 2 years". Thank you boss, sorry for doubting you.

Maybe you should stick to cooking Ben, I'm sure you are very good at that. Whatever your reasons to emotionally pick sides in this issue, you are being very selective in your perception of the facts. The first step to improving this country for Russians and expats alike is to acknowledge that there is in fact something wrong here. To do so isn't treason, it's not unpatriotic, it's not being ungrateful. Europe has problems, the US has problems, China has problems, Russia has problems. Some have bigger problems than others. Russia's are huge. Ignoring them and blaming everyone else but the Russian government is only keeping them going for longer.

Forget nationalism. It's a waste of time and a tool for controlling your emotions into making the choices they want you to make. I said precisely the same thing about the USA post 9/11, incidentally. When you take sides unconditionally you lose all rational control over politics.

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 10:50
The 2 years remark is just dangling a carrot in front of the serfs from very far away. The economy was already heading for stagnation while oil was above 100$ and there were no sanctions.

Yes, I noticed that too back then. Many of these "journalists" were fake anyway I think. From his own pool.

JanC
19-12-2014, 11:02
Yes, I noticed that too back then. Many of these "journalists" were fake anyway I think. From his own pool.

Not necessarily, he took questions from anyone including the BBC. There was no risk for him to do so, anyway. He had to give only one answer which was also the last word. Any politicians would prepare for a question on any topic and have an answer for it. It's only when there is a back-and-forth debate that anyone could really nail him down into a corner about an issue. No risk of that here, so it really didn't matter who asked the questions or how good the questions were.

For example, one question regarded the handling of the Bashneft case, and whether this meant that private companies were at risk of nationalisation. Putin answered that there is no such risk and Bashneft is "an exception".

The mere fact that such an "exception" is possible when the powers that be decide on it, completely invalidates the first part of his reply! If there are exceptions then that means private property cannot rely or be confident that the law will always be on their side.

But nobody was allowed to point this out, and to the average Joe it probably sounded all right.

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 11:06
I have been studying him very carefully now.
See, many answers were way too slick, as if prepared in advance. I think he has decided to play a liberal for now, seeing that he is losing grip otherwise.
So, even for some "hard" questions he had his own journalists I think. Not all of them of course.
I also think he was on medication or something. If you watched from the very beginning - he looked and sounded as if he was going to faint, then he gained momentum - it looked like a medication kicked in.
This lame attempt failed though. It is too late.

Judge
19-12-2014, 11:14

True, he started from his own pool, they asked good questioned straight away,first one was about the state of the economy, and then why can't they diversify from oil&gas and so on...Of course Putin knew how he's gonna answer,was expecting such questions, but his own pool asked the questions we wanted answering,and he was also asked about Russian troops in Ukraine...... Some silly questions like how's his love life came later on..

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 11:23
True, he started from his own pool, they asked good questioned straight away,first one was about the state of the economy, and then why can't they diversify from oil&gas and so on...Of course Putin knew how he's gonna answer,was expecting such questions, but his own pool asked the questions we wanted answering,and he was also asked about Russian troops in Ukraine...... Some silly questions like how's his love life came later on..

I am sure he has this official pool, but there is also a secret one. He knows many tricks. The key thing - he is lying very often. His facial expressions give him away though, when he is lying his eyes begin shifting, the face distorts a little. I mean, like half or more of what he said yesterday was either lies or plain weird.

By the way, about the currencies. I don't remember a single case when they didn't get back to the highest positions they held once. In the current situation it is a given. The question is not whether euro will be 100 again or not, the question is - how fast.

FatAndy
19-12-2014, 13:20
so it will be 2 years Borodino and buckwheat?

"Those were famine years, short on bread, so we put caviar just onto sausages..." (C)

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 13:37
The funny thing is, the mood of "patriots" is rather panicky now. Where is your bravado of the recent months? VVP smart move this, VVP smart move that. Please start more threads like this one. I want to learn gruesome details - like who of you is lacking food, who is not able to afford the rent payments anymore, whose apartment was seized due to missed mortgage payments, who was screwed by a tourist company, etc. I want to gloat over your misery and desperation.:):coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1QAezn9HA0

Armoured
19-12-2014, 13:57
Said that, all this is np consolation for millions of Russians. But the people are resilient here.

So Ben, has your restaurant had to raise prices yet? SUppliers raised prices on you yet? Will you advise when these things happen?

Rumours are most food prices going up by 20-50% before holidays. I hope that's wrong (personally), but have no reason to doubt.

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 13:58
So Ben, has your restaurant had to raise prices yet? SUppliers raised prices on you yet? Will you advise when these things happen?

Yes, and about sharply decreased profits too. Please keep us informed, Ben, we are eager to know.

Suuryaa
19-12-2014, 14:29
The funny thing is, the mood of "patriots" is rather panicky now. Where is your bravado of the recent months? VVP smart move this, VVP smart move that. Please start more threads like this one. I want to learn gruesome details - like who of you is lacking food, who is not able to afford the rent payments anymore, whose apartment was seized due to missed mortgage payments, who was screwed by a tourist company, etc. I want to gloat over your misery and desperation.:):coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1QAezn9HA0

Where's that from, I wonder? For me, personally, everything's going fine and changing for the better.

If someone has loans to be paid in dollars, then they may be having problems.

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 14:33
For me, personally, everything's going fine and changing for the better.

I assume you are either not very bright or are paid in hard currencies. In the case of the latter it is rather "unpatriotic" of you. Can you describe this "going for the better" to me? Crush my gleeful gloating, mercilessly nip it in the bud.

Suuryaa
19-12-2014, 14:42
I assume you are either not very bright

That's one of your favourite pastimes, it seems. It's already the third or fourth time you write this about me. RL, that's really nice of you!

FatAndy
19-12-2014, 14:44
RL, that's really nice of you!
Be generous, he lives with 3 TV sets ;)

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 14:46
That's one of your favourite pastimes, it seems. It's already the third or fourth time you write this about me. RL, that's really nice of you!

Well, not very bright doesn't exclude the eventuality that you still may be a bright person (though not very bright), and even that was only a guess, not a statement, so never mind this part. Please concentrate on crushing my gloating. So, how has it turned for the better for you?

bydand
19-12-2014, 14:48

RL, IMHO no need to gloat. The vociferous ones (you know who they are) have a simple case of cognitive dissonance. You know, like the fraternity boys who truly believe their fraternity is the best and can do no wrong. Why else would they suffer through the week(s) of grueling hazing to join the fraternity? Certainly not because they are stupid, or wrong; simply cannot be.

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 15:01
RL, IMHO no need to gloat.

Well, I want them to be cleansed through suffering.:) Believe me, the case is very hopeless otherwise. I felt like in nazi Germany in 1938 for many months here (you too I assume). You have no idea what these folks were saying in Russian throughout the whole process so far. They fully deserve the suffering and I am entitled to my gloating now for feeling bad throughout all these months because of them, it was worse than a nausea. Pay back time, nothing personal. A hydrological cycle of sorts. I will be grilling them now till they squeal like piglets. And I will gloat too.:) Sorry.:)

bydand
19-12-2014, 16:24
I felt like in nazi Germany in 1938 for many months here (you too I assume).
Sorry.:)

Tolko Raz and his coastal highway to Naash Krim for New Year comes to mind.
No need to be sorry. Gloat away!:ok:

Uncle Wally
19-12-2014, 16:39
RL, IMHO no need to gloat. The vociferous ones (you know who they are) have a simple case of cognitive dissonance. You know, like the fraternity boys who truly believe their fraternity is the best and can do no wrong. Why else would they suffer through the week(s) of grueling hazing to join the fraternity? Certainly not because they are stupid, or wrong; simply cannot be.

You talking about the Skull & Bones? Sounds just like'em Bush, Kerry. America's attitude to the tee.

Benedikt
19-12-2014, 16:49
are telling ME what to write and what not. and once more, if you care to read, my header ended with a question mark -?-, meaning I was ASKING. and not telling anyone and not talking for everyone.
I know my english is not always perfect, but you like to dictate, assume wrong and think only YOUR opinion counts here.

I made my home in Russia, despite being an Austrian. if we want to, we have no problem to go anywhere in the world. no country has banned me- us, and with my Austrian passport we are welcome anywhere. We do not want. the place has been good to me. so what is wrong with defending it. I am NOT like many of the Expat's and also many Russians, constantly criticizing and nagging about the country. don't like it, get the hell out of here!!!!!!!but don't put it down all the time. or do you think it is only the right of a Russian citizen to criticise? and rest has to shut up? I definitely will not. don't like what I write? put me on the ignore list, as simple as that. Then you do not have to read what I write. I do not insult anyone personally here, stick to the rules of a CIVILISED forum, where everyone has a right to post what he or she believes. I do not annoy the mods (too much anyway...), keep it polite most of the times, so I WILL carry on writing. and again, don't like it, don't open my posts. but THAY you will not have because you MUST know, what the hell is that Austrian up to again....

TolkoRaz
19-12-2014, 16:56
:lick:

Benedikt
19-12-2014, 17:11

Rumours are most food prices going up by 20-50% before holidays. I hope that's wrong (personally), but have no reason to doubt.

you do not patronise anyway. so no reason to get you all worked up for nothing.

Armoured
19-12-2014, 17:14
you do not patronise anyway. so no reason to get you all worked up for nothing.

I'm not worked up. I asked a straightforward question and request to let us know if your restaurant has to raise prices / has prices of inputs raised.

JanC
19-12-2014, 17:16
the place has been good to me. so what is wrong with defending it

Nothing, but it's curious that you associate people's criticism of the Russian government as an attack on Russia as a whole. The two are entirely separate as far as I'm concerned.

I love Russia and its people, but the government here is pretty much the worst of any place I've been. It's not making me leave, but it is what it is. People who live in Europe complain about their governments, too. We live here, so we complain about this one. And I do not share the opinion that there is nobility in suffering for the thievery and incompetence of the people who run the country. One should have slightly higher ambitions.

Benedikt
19-12-2014, 17:20
I assume you are either not very bright or are paid in hard currencies. In the case of the latter it is rather "unpatriotic" of you. Can you describe this "going for the better" to me? Crush my gleeful gloating, mercilessly nip it in the bud.

salary contract can be made out in such a way that you are being paid such an amount of local currency you will need to BUY your foreign currency.

salary contract can be made that way, if the inflation is too high, or over a certain percentage or for whatever reason, you get a -bonus- at the end of the month. to make up for the shortfall. again, so much as it would need to BUY the agreed foreign currency.

I worked already here, before it was -c.u.- and we had on our menu prices with 6-zeros-.

I KNOW how to negotiate, Russia is not the first place I work(ed) with high inflation in place. If the owners /investors think -you- will be worth such a contract, they will agree to it.

Russian Lad
19-12-2014, 17:24
I made my home in Russia, despite being an Austrian. if we want to, we have no problem to go anywhere in the world. no country has banned me- us, and with my Austrian passport we are welcome anywhere. We do not want. the place has been good to me. so what is wrong with defending it. I am NOT like many of the Expat's and also many Russians, constantly criticizing and nagging about the country. don't like it, get the hell out of here!!!!!!!but don't put it down all the time. or do you think it is only the right of a Russian citizen to criticise? and rest has to shut up? I definitely will not. don't like what I write? put me on the ignore list, as simple as that. Then you do not have to read what I write. I do not insult anyone personally here, stick to the rules of a CIVILISED forum, where everyone has a right to post what he or she believes. I do not annoy the mods (too much anyway...), keep it polite most of the times, so I WILL carry on writing. and again, don't like it, don't open my posts. but THAY you will not have because you MUST know, what the hell is that Austrian up to again....

Wonder how many restaurants will be ruined.:evilgrin: Let's hope yours doesn't close, hehehe. I think you deserve it though. And of course, you are welcome to go wherever you want to.

FatAndy
19-12-2014, 17:31
Wonder how many restaurants will be ruined.:evilgrin:
As many as not needed anymore ;)

Armoured
19-12-2014, 17:35
salary contract can be made out in such a way that you are being paid such an amount of local currency you will need to BUY your foreign currency.

Ah. So basically you are paid a hard currency equivalent, but they make the actual payment in rubles.

So in fact, you're not actually sharing in the noble suffering of the locals.

Benedikt
19-12-2014, 18:42
P.S. There are shortages of buckwheat already, you gotta learn how to grow potatoes or something.[/QUOTE]

I see only price gouging and nothing else. as I have stated here, I have seen buckwheat packed from companies that i never have seen before. They do have the money and finance apparently to buy up 1000's of tons, hoard it and sell it at an exaggerated profit.
Was the same a few years back with the salt...

You can go to Auchan / Globus /Billa / Monetka / Kopeika / -5-/Magnolia / 7th Continent there are NO empty shelves. though price is high indeed. but when you check the suppliers, you can work it out yourself that it is one or two who make fat profits by price gouging.
so, people change to cheaper alternatives. rice, pasta, barley and indeed potatoes. it is a fallacy that everyone thinks every Russian eats every day ONLY buckwheat. it is popular, easy to prepare, easy to eat and fit as a side dish or for breakfast with almost everything. and was cheap, but there are alternatives

Benedikt
19-12-2014, 18:45
As many as not needed anymore ;)

the strong ones will survive, the ones with lousy food and bad management or greedy owners will fold. not much loss.
in my opinion, a place that is empty (on Old-New Arbat / Tverskaya / Ring Road for instance) on Friday evening or Sunday lunch has not done their homework. good riddance.

fenrir
19-12-2014, 18:50
P.S. There are shortages of buckwheat already, you gotta learn how to grow potatoes or something.

You can go to Auchan / Globus /Billa / Monetka / Kopeika / -5-/Magnolia / 7th Continent there are NO empty shelves. though price is high indeed. [/QUOTE]

And Medvedev and others assured the Russian people food prices wouldn't rise. Another lie to add to the long list.

bydand
19-12-2014, 19:19
the strong ones will survive, the ones with lousy food and bad management or greedy owners will fold. not much loss.
in my opinion, a place that is empty (on Old-New Arbat / Tverskaya / Ring Road for instance) on Friday evening or Sunday lunch has not done their homework. good riddance.

Capitalism at its best.