PDA

View Full Version : Visa Need with a Twist

gino
15-03-2004, 15:50
Ok – another visa issue.
I need to go get a new visa for myself (I am a US citizen). My wife (a Russian Citizen with US Green Card) wants to go with me and we were unable to plan ahead of time for various reasons. I had planned to go to Riga, but my wife needs a visa to go there. However, I have to leave by the end of next week, which is sooner than she can get a visa. So now we are left scrambling for where to go. I need somewhere where the embassy has proven to be “reasonable” to deal AND that a Russian citizen can travel to without a visa (or they can obtain one in just a few days).

My wife can go to Belarus without a visa, but I need one. I think I can get it quick and relatively cheap though. Anyone ever dealt with the Russian Embassy in Minsk?

Any other suggestions???

Fa-Q!
15-03-2004, 16:00
Your wife should be able to get a Latvian visa in a couple of days. If not, try the countries where the russian's get the cheap tours like Turkey or Cyprus where Neither Americans nor Russians need visas. You can get a visa to Ukraine in less than a week and your wife doesn't need one.

vespasian
16-03-2004, 01:13
I am not sure about the Russian embassy regarding visa speed and cost, but Russians do not need visas to go to Croatia, and neither do Americans. Zagreb is a beautiful little city.

DaveUKagain
16-03-2004, 04:47
Originally posted by Fa-Q!
Your wife should be able to get a Latvian visa in a couple of days. If not, try the countries where the russian's get the cheap tours like Turkey or Cyprus where Neither Americans nor Russians need visas. You can get a visa to Ukraine in less than a week and your wife doesn't need one.

Hi Fa-Q - just a note - since October, Russians now need a visa for Cyprus - Keepr joined the EU and the Cypriots enacted new visa legislation. Don`t know about Turkey, though - and of course all Russians seem to love to go to Antalya.......

Missionary
16-03-2004, 05:04
Russians and Americans DO in fact both need a visa to go to Turkey. These visas are obtained at the entry point. It is pretty simple really. Your Russian wife will need to pay $10 and you will need to pay $100 and your passports will be stamped with a visa on the spot.

Now as far as the reliability or user friendliness of the Embassy in Turkey, I do not have a clue.

DaveUKagain
16-03-2004, 05:40
Well, I was going to mention that :) 10 pounds for UK citizens, by the way - effectively no visa controls in Turkey - just pay at the airport......

That`s the kind of visa system I like - a corrupt one. ;-))))))))))) Well, in a way........ ;-)))))))))

J.D.
16-03-2004, 09:17
Why not just send your wife ahead to Russia and you join her as soon as you get your visa?

gino
16-03-2004, 09:22
Originally posted by J.D.
Why not just send your wife ahead to Russia and you join her as soon as you get your visa?

We live in Moscow already! I need to leave to go get new visa and she would like to go with me.

I have since found out Latvia takes 8-10 busienss days for Russians to get a visa - not enough times ince we didn't know until yesterday if my wife could get the time to go.

We are now checking on Estonia. We are also considering Egypt and U.A.E. Has anyone ever tried the Russian embassy in these places?

Obviously there are many options if money was not a concern, but it is so we are looking for cheap options that are intersteing places to go to for just a few days.

Fa-Q!
16-03-2004, 11:05
Go to the Ukrainian embassy and get yourself a visa. It'll only take a few days and costs about $75. You can take the train to Kiev and back for around $100 for the both of you.

gino
17-03-2004, 13:07
I have decided that I need to feel solar warmth even if it is just for a short time. Therefore, I would really like to go to Alexandria, Egypt to get a new visa. However, I can’t get in touch with the Russian Consulate there (if there is still one) to see how fast they will process a visa and how much it costs. I can’t reach the Embassy in Cairo either. The only contact numbers I can find don’t work. The number for Alexandria does nothing and the one in Cairo gives me a recording that the number has been changed.

Anyone know how I can contact the Russian embassy in these places?

If I can’t find out soon it looks like I will be stuck going to Kiev where my wife doesn’t need a visa or Tallinn where she can get one fast enough.

waxwing
18-03-2004, 18:52
So, does anyone know how much it costs to get a visa processed in the Istanbul Russian consulate? I tried to find out on the net but no joy so far...

vanross
18-03-2004, 21:08
I think Ukraine will be the least expensive way of solving your problem. You can get a more or less decent hotel on the "Left" bank of Kiev for $20 per night (I tried and it was OK) and have you visa processed over there. Check Infinity travel, they can get you a Ukrainian visa relatively fast and in Ukraine there is no registration OVIR requirements, yyou just cross the border and go where you want to.

Suposedly (I am not sure, it's just a rumou) you can get some kind of tourist visa at the airport, but please check it twice before you go, it is just a rumor, not fact.

gino
26-03-2004, 09:40
All that has happened is a very long story that is not worth typing – but in the end I am giving the Russian Embassy in Istanbul a shot. I spoke to three people there and all three said that the visa with same day processing would be only $30 (for a private visa). However, one of these people said they only issue private visas to Turkish residents and not residents of third party countries. I then actually got the boss on the phone and was assured that they would do it for me. We’ll see? I may be stuck there much longer than planned!

By the way, I was told by the Turkish embassy here in Moscow that it is only $20 for Americans to enter the country and not $100. According to the US State Department it is currently $100, but it will be reduced to $20 on April 1. I will be there a few days earlier than that, but I am hoping that somehow the embassy here in Moscow was right and they only charge me the $20 (not counting on it though).