PDA

View Full Version : Sparrow Hill Observation deck re opened again

Benedikt
18-12-2014, 12:22
http://russia-ic.com/news/show/19145

looks like just in time for the New Year fireworks. and special in the night, the best place to see Moscow.
renovations are over and completed. wonder though if in this kind of weather any bikers will be there....
( from an item at Radio Moscow FM, the english language radio station...)

FatAndy
18-12-2014, 12:27
Yes, I saw it in reparation process for 2-3 times when climbing from embankment to Kosygina.

Uncle Wally
19-12-2014, 01:59
http://russia-ic.com/news/show/19145

looks like just in time for the New Year fireworks. and special in the night, the best place to see Moscow.
renovations are over and completed. wonder though if in this kind of weather any bikers will be there....
( from an item at Radio Moscow FM, the english language radio station...)

You do know that they have skiing and snowboarding there in the winter? With ski lift!

Uncle Wally
19-12-2014, 02:37
Yes, I saw it in reparation process for 2-3 times when climbing from embankment to Kosygina.

Wow, again you make me feel stupid!

All this time I was going to University metro and walking all the way through MGU then walking down the hill, when all this time I could have been walking up that hill and experiencing leg burn and heavy breathing! Some really stupid fools go to Kievskya metro and take trollybus #7 there! I pitty the fools! They most likely will not enjoy the slow ride along the Moscow river that the trollybus takes.

Just think I've walked hundreds of times all the way down that hill! Sometimes I was even fool enough to walk all the way to Gorky Park from University metro! Never again! It's up, up, up for me! Thanks FatAndy because this is my most favorite place in Moscow!

Kartoshka
20-12-2014, 00:38
Wow, again you make me feel stupid!

For years I didn't know there were steps up from Воробьевы горы metro station and used to scramble up the embankment like a death-defying mountaineer. I hope in the reconstruction they will have clearly marked the steps for other idiots like me :)

FatAndy
20-12-2014, 08:56
1) By embankment go to riverboat station. At the left side see wooden stairway of eco-route (approx.half a way between Metrobridge and riverboats). Go this stairway. It will lead to the ~1/3 of the total height level, you'll see couple of car passes/turns - lower one to somewhat buildings at the right side, upper leads to Gertsen-Ogarev monument. Go up and keep left - see beton/stones stairway leading up to Kosygina.

2) Go from metro not to the river (right and down), but straight on, you'll appear just under the Metrobridge. Go straight on and see a car pass. Go left by it, and it will lead you to Kosygina just across from Pioneer's Palace, GIBDD division will be at the right side in 2-3 floor green building, and there will be also parking place with schlagbaum between Kosygina and this pass down - bypass the parking by diagonal track at the right, leading to Kosygina pavement and bus/trolleybus stop. Proceed further along Kosygina in alley at the right and you'll see that stairway exit in 3 min, and in 3 min more you'll see that upper station of the rope transporter/lift.

Uncle Wally
20-12-2014, 22:22
I go out the metro and walk straight to the small road where you will be looking at the bridge from underneath. Go right and about 10 meters you'll see a road that goes down to the right and a path on your left,take the path on your left. About 20 meters farther you'll come to an opening with a abandon building on your left. You want to go to the all the way to the left and the path next to this building. Keep walking up this path for about 100 meters until you come to stairs, go left up the stairs. This is the shortest (easiest) way. At the top of the stairs go right along the path with benches and you'll come to the ski lift. This will be about 200 meters. There's a nice view of Moscow City right next to the ski lift and a good bench to drink vodka and kiss your girlfriend. (well that's what I do because you can't be seen from the street) Keep walking and you come to the toilet (free) then up the stairs and you're there. Should take 15 minutes (add another 15 to 30 minutes for the drinking vodka kissing girlfriend part) You must remember to buy beer, wine or vodka before because there is no place up there to buy it. They have hot food, tea, coffee and eats across the street. Tea and coffee aren't much there but you'll pay twice as much for coke, juice or water.