PDA

View Full Version : Where is everybody?

Parco
29-11-2014, 01:12
Hi folks! I've been back in the UK and going back and forth to Minsk since failing to get a work permit for 2012. Much has changed in my life and I'm now working in the airline industry in London.

I've come back over to Moscow and hoped to catch up with old friends in Silvers or Katie's, but tonight - I didn't recognise anyone!? So where have all the expats gone? I knew numbers were falling from 2006 to 2010, or same number of expats - just on shorter rotations.

Are the sanctions having a real effect on expats? Or am I just going to old hangouts? I made the mistake of going to Etazh several months back - oops, a total has been.

Can anyone shed any light on what's changed and where everyone is hiding?

There's nothing worse than going into a once busy pub, full of people you knew to find it half empty and just strangers.

I have Russian friends that I still meet and keep in contact with. Just miss the old timers from Moscow.

vossy7
29-11-2014, 03:01
Expats have itchy feet !

Benedikt
29-11-2014, 06:50
[Can anyone shed any light on what's changed and where everyone is hiding?

no one is getting younger. so we stay at home, play withe kids, watch Tv and walk the dog....also, neighborhoods closer to home have developed. it is not necessary to go to town to have fun. you can do it at a watering hole closer by your home. and ho hassles with parking.and should you have one over the limit, the taxis are cheaper and they don't rip you off out here in your own district.

rusmeister
29-11-2014, 07:57
The truth is that most expats just don't stay here. They are here for one, two, three years and then they're gone. I have almost no expat friends at all, and I don't ever see those that have stayed.
And as Benedikt said, we get older. It's normal for attention to turn more to children as you have them, and most don't really want to bar-hop all their lives and turn into lonely single old people. And children take a lot of attention. Without them our lives are a lot greyer, whether we realize it or not.

TolkoRaz
29-11-2014, 09:32
Expats have itchy feet !

Some have smelly feet too! :p

FatAndy
29-11-2014, 11:14
Some have smelly feet too! :p
One example of goo ole Soviet military humour:

Q: Why feet/legs smell?
A: Because they grow from an @$$...

:)

Nobbynumbnuts
29-11-2014, 12:39
Hi folks! I've been back in the UK and going back and forth to Minsk since failing to get a work permit for 2012. Much has changed in my life and I'm now working in the airline industry in London.

I've come back over to Moscow and hoped to catch up with old friends in Silvers or Katie's, but tonight - I didn't recognize anyone!? So where have all the expats gone? I knew numbers were falling from 2006 to 2010, or same number of expats - just on shorter rotations.

Are the sanctions having a real effect on expats? Or am I just going to old hangouts? I made the mistake of going to Etazh several months back - oops, a total has been.

Can anyone shed any light on what's changed and where everyone is hiding?

There's nothing worse than going into a once busy pub, full of people you knew to find it half empty and just strangers.

I have Russian friends that I still meet and keep in contact with. Just miss the old timers from Moscow.

I was in Silvers one afternoon last December, about a year ago. Place was pretty much empty and didn't see anyone i knew or recognized from those that did come in.
Silvers is not high on expat's lists of places to go these days, i think. Plenty of alternatives around. Check out Rosie O'Grady's at Prospect Mira, also run by Steve Conway. I popped in there for a cheeky one on the way home and it was packed! ;)

Parco
29-11-2014, 12:43
Thanks guys, I didn't think about the family/children aspect at all. I just thought that the wild nights and days of expat life in Moscow would last forever. I remember the demise of Exile and the growing-up of our expat community. I guess the original/first crew of expats in Moscow will be getting on in years, settling for a quiet life in the suburbs.

Seeing Moscow now from what it was a few years is very different and more regional across the city. So unless there is a big sporting event on, I am sensing that the older expats have the family to think of.

Thanks for the insight as I am hoping for a transfer or promotion to Moscow in the future.

Judge
29-11-2014, 12:59
Check out Rosie O'Grady's at Prospect Mira, also run by Steve Conway. I popped in there for a cheeky one on the way home and it was packed! ;)

You mixed up the name, it's Katie's that's run by Steve, Rosie's also pours a decent pint, it's a good alternative if Katie's is closed for a function, just down the road it is.

Nobbynumbnuts
29-11-2014, 13:10
You mixed up the name, it's Katie's that's run by Steve, Rosie's also pours a decent pint, it's a good alternative if Katie's is closed for a function, just down the road it is.

You're right, my bad. BeJesus! ;)
Katie O'shea's is indeed run by Steve and is just off Prospekt Mira. I have heard of Rosie's but never wandered in. Will do so on my next trip....

vossy7
29-11-2014, 13:18
It's really amazing when I meet people who were here in the 90s and left and they come back and expect the party to be still in full swing :)
I still believe the years between 1994 and 1997 were the most amazing time in my life .....maybe it had something to do with the fact I was between wives :7525:

Parco
29-11-2014, 13:25
I wasn't expecting the party to be in full swing, just wondered, where are they now? I was here to witness the demise of the good old days, but never wanted to leave Moscow. My heart is still here and always will be.

vossy7
29-11-2014, 13:45
I wasn't expecting the party to be in full swing, just wondered, where are they now? I was here to witness the demise of the good old days, but never wanted to leave Moscow. My heart is still here and always will be.

Parco wasn't referring to you in particular I was just saying when I meet people who used to be here still ask is Hungry Duck still going , can you bring me back the latest copy of Exile et al :)

Judge
29-11-2014, 20:27

The expats who you search were probably like you, here for a few years and left......

Judge
29-11-2014, 20:32
You're right, my bad. BeJesus! ;)
Katie O'shea's is indeed run by Steve and is just off Prospekt Mira. I have heard of Rosie's but never wandered in. Will do so on my next trip....

Rosie's is on street level, good for some people/car watching:D

Uncle Wally
29-11-2014, 22:41
It's really amazing when I meet people who were here in the 90s and left and they come back and expect the party to be still in full swing :)
I still believe the years between 1994 and 1997 were the most amazing time in my life .....maybe it had something to do with the fact I was between wives :7525:

No they were just goodtimes, never be like that again.