PDA

View Full Version : Space launches - failures and successes

FatAndy
29-10-2014, 11:12
Missile-carrier with Cygnus spaceship (resupply mission for International Space Station, ~2.3 ton payload) has produced some firework at Wallops island this night, around 01:22 MMT (18:22 local time). No casualties, only material damage registered.

http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/MissionUpdates/Orb-3/ - the investigation commission was organised by Orbital company who produced the devices and performed the launch.

First two launches of Cygnus ships to ISS (Orb-1,2) were successful.

1st section of the Antares carrier works on AJ26 engines, former Soviet НК-33, modified by US company Aerojet Rocketdyne together with OAO "Kuznetsov" from Samara, who were original designers yet in USSR times (the engine was developed yet in 196x for Soviet lunar space program). The design and of 1st section itself was done by Yuzhnoe construction bureau of Ukraine and it was produced at Yuzhmash factory in Dnepropetrovsk.

NASA Antares Rocket Explodes - YouTube

ANTARES EXPLODES!!! Panic at the press site! Orbital's rocket blows up - YouTube

At the same time new damned totalitarian "Soyuz 2.1a" with old damned totalitarian Progress space truck was successfully launched from Baikonur this night. Two more non-manned launches of 2.1a are planned for 2015 (Progress or other load), then in 2016 manned flight is planned.

TolkoRaz
29-10-2014, 11:14
Blin! :eek: That was an expensive firework!

FatAndy
29-10-2014, 11:19
Blin! :eek: That was an expensive firework!
Not only we do pay, Yankees too! :10293:

Update from some other forum comments: The root cause is that Soviet propulsion jet engine was designed to fly TO United States, not FROM...

robertmf
30-10-2014, 16:15
1st section of the Antares carrier works on AJ26 engines, former Soviet НК-33, modified by US company Aerojet Rocketdyne together with OAO "Kuznetsov" from Samara, who were original designers yet in USSR times (the engine was developed yet in 196x for Soviet lunar space program).

Where'd the Americans get a 40-year old Russian 'space truck' :question:

Off of eBay :question: :10475: Simply amazing :yikes:

TolkoRaz
30-10-2014, 16:20

What a waste of money! :eek:

At least the Russians profited from the disaster - it must be good business for Russia who can now sell another rocket engines to the US of A!

BTW, I wonder if NASA pays insurance for rockets? ;) If so, I guess the fee would be astronomical! :D

drbobguy
30-10-2014, 17:04
What a waste of money! :eek:

At least the Russians profited from the disaster - it must be good business for Russia who can now sell another rocket engines to the US of A!

BTW, I wonder if NASA pays insurance for rockets? ;) If so, I guess the fee would be astronomical! :D

We'll see, it could be bad for the NK Engines company though if the problem is tracked down to the engines. Given all the politics floating around I wouldn't be surprised if the US space companies stop using Russian engines.

Benedikt
30-10-2014, 17:22
We'll see, it could be bad for the NK Engines company though if the problem is tracked down to the engines. Given all the politics floating around I wouldn't be surprised if the US space companies stop using Russian engines.

check out earlier posts ( some of mine as well). they were -left over- engines from the not needed anymore quest for the moon landing. the USA got their first, Korolev (sp?) had died and the CCCP moon landing was stopped. the engines were supposed to be destroyed. but and engineer hid them, well wrapped up, in an empty warehouse.... LockheadMartin thought they got a good deal and the Russians would be forever grateful when they bought the engines off them for a,fair enough, not too bad price. than the sanction came. the whole story is to long to tell again. this can be seen on a YouTube video. the link is there in the earlier posts.

but you can not fit a Chevy engine onto a Volga car. it will not work.

Judge
31-10-2014, 13:24
There must be many present and former NASA workers who are scratching their heads,thinking, why they have to use 40 year old Soviet rockets.
It really goes to show how good the Soviet rocket scientists were,and the men and women who work today in this industry here in Russia..With so many space flights nowadays, we often take it for granted,but still alot of work goes into building rockets.The Russians are like working overtime, sending their own people and cargo into space,and also for many other counrties too..
What did they do in the US, did they cut NASA's budget?

Judge
31-10-2014, 13:26

Better question ,instead of where would be why?

Fantastika
31-10-2014, 13:32
Buried in this article and a few other places:

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/orbital-sciences-expect-to-learn-cause-of-rocket-explosion-within-week/29418776

"Orbital Sciences said a range safety officer destructed the rocket as soon as an anomaly was detected several seconds into flight."

So it didn't explode by itself, the explosion was triggered from the command center.

JanC and Armoured can now claim that this was another Russian conspiracy, that Russian hackers planted a virus in the software, causing the "anomaly."

Fantastika
31-10-2014, 13:44
There must be many present and former NASA workers who are scratching their heads,thinking, why they have to use 40 year old Soviet rockets.
...What did they do in the US, did they cut NASA's budget?

Yes. It was the media and Progressives, in general they were saying, "Why are we spending money on exploring space, when we have unsolved problems here on the Earth? Instead of spending money on space rockets, we need to feed the poor, help those with AIDS, save the Polar bears, combat global warming, etc."

Obama "reformed" NASA, he made it into a Muslim-outreach program:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7875584/Barack-Obama-Nasa-must-try-to-make-Muslims-feel-good.html

Obama scrapped the moon program and canceled the Constellation program for manned space flight, the successor to the Space Shuttle.

Obama's space policy shift moved "from moon landings to promoting self-esteem".

FatAndy
31-10-2014, 13:48
JanC and Armoured can now claim that this was another Russian conspiracy, that Russian hackers planted a virus in the software, causing the "anomaly."
There were some data that the start was delayed for 1 day, because there was discovered a kind of suspicious ship in surrounding waters. He-he... It seems Swedes were excited for nothing, the rocket launch was the target of the secret weapon of the secret Russian submarine... ;)

Yaks
31-10-2014, 15:12
the shuttle(and I was there in 86 to watch Challenger blow up-I was at Disneyworld at the time and got the pic on film) was a terribly wasteful and uneconomical program. But the public loved it and NASA would only get its funding with it-even though it ate a huge hole in the organisation.

America didn't have to go with the Russian program but at the time things were looking up. Heck Russia was looking at joining Europe and potentially joining NATO! cold war was over and the Russian program was cheap-Russia needed the hard currency so why not? No one expected cold war mark 2 to come along. if they knew of it, America would have looked at home grown alternatives and scrapping the ISS.

Armoured
31-10-2014, 15:27

Oh, right - _I'm_ the one that sees conspiracies everywhere. :question:

It's that darn media, conspiring against me.

FatAndy
31-10-2014, 16:09
America didn't have to go with the Russian program but at the time things were looking up. Heck Russia was looking at joining Europe and potentially joining NATO! cold war was over and the Russian program was cheap-Russia needed the hard currency so why not? No one expected cold war mark 2 to come along. if they knew of it, America would have looked at home grown alternatives and scrapping the ISS.
http://izvestia.ru/news/578744 - there are some data Orbital will continue to use our engines beyond 2017... ;)

Fantastika
31-10-2014, 18:09
I'm wondering what kind of software they had in the Antares. In the space shuttle, they had 3 built-in redundant systems - they used Sunn operating system as primary, then if that failed, they had HP O/S, then if that failed, they would use Microsoft Windows NT.

If you were in the Space Shuttle, and you are depending on software-regulated supply of oxygen, proper speed, correct calculations for return to Earth, etc., would you trust your life on Windows not crashing?

In the Antares, maybe they had just Windows, or there was error in interfacing control software with engine.

FatAndy
31-10-2014, 19:21
Well... iirc WinNT was initially released in 1993, when SS program was already on the full throttle... also, WinNT, even being rather stable OS, never was and never was positioned as real-time one, which would be needed to control such important and complicated device. Dunno about the source of the info about HP, WinNT etc used, but i'd put there smth like QNX.

Fantastika
31-10-2014, 20:32
You are probably right, and maybe the HP O/S was actually some flavor of Unix/Linux. I don't know if they ever put Windows NT in the shuttle, it's a life-critical application. NT was gradually introduced in stages throughout the US government in the later 1990's, the pointed-head set in Washington wanted to standardize everything. Most Pentagon communication systems use several redundant O/S's so if one fails, there's another instantly available as back-up. But you're probably right, NT was never actually employed in the shuttle, although it was talked up. Me, I wouldn't trust Windows to take my dog for a walk. :)

Yaks
31-10-2014, 21:05
You are probably right, and maybe the HP O/S was actually some flavor of Unix/Linux. I don't know if they ever put Windows NT in the shuttle, it's a life-critical application. NT was gradually introduced in stages throughout the US government in the later 1990's, the pointed-head set in Washington wanted to standardize everything. Most Pentagon communication systems use several redundant O/S's so if one fails, there's another instantly available as back-up. But you're probably right, NT was never actually employed in the shuttle, although it was talked up. Me, I wouldn't trust Windows to take my dog for a walk. :)

so you just made all that up? lol

Fantastika
31-10-2014, 21:11
so you just made all that up? lol

I didn't make *anything* up. If you're now an expert on the software used in the Space Shuttle, pray, tell, what *exactly* it was.

JanC
31-10-2014, 21:45
I didn't make *anything* up. If you're now an expert on the software used in the Space Shuttle, pray, tell what *exactly* it was.

So first you state exactly what operating systems the Space Shuttle used as a matter of fact:

In the space shuttle, they had 3 built-in redundant systems - they used Sunn operating system as primary, then if that failed, they had HP O/S, then if that failed, they would use Microsoft Windows NT.

Now you're asking anyone who knows what they actually used to fill us in? :confused:

If you didn't make it up, where did that "info" come from?

Anyway, it makes no sense that they would use completely different operating systems. None whatsoever. Redundant hardware makes sense, not run a completely different OS that needs software to be written completely differently (so each with its own unique bugs)

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/flyout/flyfeature_shuttlecomputers.html

You can see there that the hardware specs were very very basic and the OS was only 400K lines of code. Perhaps loosely based on an IBM RTOS, for this they really wouldn't use a generic OS to run their application on, and with 1MB of memory, good luck.

Most importantly, the software was the same on each redundant GPC. (4+1)

Another Fantastika fact™ that goes nowhere.

Fantastika
31-10-2014, 22:14
The GPC's run a limited set of functions on the Space Shuttle. Most of what happens on the shuttle is controlled from the ground.

Anyway, it makes no sense that they would use completely different operating systems.

Wow, now JanC is more expert than the Pentagon-NASA, on what O/S's it uses and how it uses them. Wow, who are you really, JanC, Clark Kent?

None whatsoever. Redundant hardware makes sense, not run a completely different OS that needs software to be written completely differently (so each with its own unique bugs)

Redundant hardware makes sense to you, and redundant software makes sense to people who know more about this than you ever will.

Better stick to your Googled factoids, when you step off and venture your misinformed opinion, it's like Obama without his teleprompter, Splat!

You can see there that the hardware specs were very very basic and the OS was only 400K lines of code. Perhaps loosely based on an IBM RTOS, for this they really wouldn't use a generic OS to run their application on, and with 1MB of memory, good luck.

Hello? You don't know anything about alternative computer hardware configurations, either, do you? You think all computers use hardware, chips, and memory exactly as a Microsoft Windows box does?

Anyway, "Space Shuttle software" isn't limited to a a few GPC's on the Shuttle itself. The launch and flight are controlled from the ground. That's why they call it "Ground Control." :duhhhh: Ground Control is in several linked-together Earthwide locations, and the links between them and their links to the space shuttle, uses redundant software, and redundant hardware, regardless of what your opinion is.

Another Fantastika fact™ that goes nowhere.

Another load of JOD™ - "JanC Obfuscatory Disinformation"

Yaks
31-10-2014, 22:36
Fantastika " The sky is green"

Forum " No it's visually blue and we can prove it. It's not green"

Fantastika " I never said it was green, that's disinformation. I suppose you think you're an expert on the atmosphere now?"

Fantastika
31-10-2014, 22:40
Fantastika " The sky is green"

Forum " No it's visually blue and we can prove it. It's not green"

Fantastika " I never said it was green, that's disinformation. I suppose you think you're an expert on the atmosphere now?"

Yaks - "I can see the South Pole from my front porch!"

Yaks
01-11-2014, 00:33

alluding to what?

Fantastika
01-11-2014, 01:14
So first you state...

What is your shtick? You don't like a comment, then you rush to Google to find some factoid which you think proves me wrong. You don't know anything about what you are talking about, only what Google returns. Then you paste it here and say, "Look! You're wrong!" Actually, all you are doing is saying "I don't understand what you are talking about, but I found a page on Google which claims you're wrong." This is not a "discussion", it is just a personal attack. Try to destroy the character of the person, rather than offer valid reasoning.

Now if you can get beyond the first page Google offers up, you can see you were in too much of a rush to paste another obfuscation. You didn't offer any proof of anything, you went with your own conjecture, and tried to back it up with some reference to a NASA PR page.

I said "In the Space Shuttle" which you pounced on to mean the 5 tiny computers inside the Space Shuttle hull. The software associated with the Space Shuttle includes those computers plus a lot more software. Ground Control and the interface between GC and the Shuttle keeps track of the orbiter's data processing systems, including the five on-board general purpose computers, the flight-critical and launch data lines, the malfunction display system, mass memories and systems software. Ground Control definitely also has at least 3 redundant software and hardware systems.

I said there were redundant systems on the Space Shuttle, Windows NT was a poor third option, and you instantly disagreed. On what basis? You googled "space shuttle computers", you copied the URL of the first page you found and then you inferred, guessed, opined and stretched to make your fiction factual - you claimed "...it makes no sense that they would use completely different operating systems. None whatsoever."

Software redundancy was actually with the Shuttle from the beginning, it was the reason they made the first flight without any prior test flights, because they had confidence that the launch and orbiting would go successfully due to redundant hardware AND software systems.

From the NASA Office of Logic Design

http://klabs.org/DEI/Processor/shuttle/

There's a lot of references to "redundant." In fact, there were quad-redundant software systems on the Shuttle itself.

You're wasting my time, making me verify something that I already know and you know very little about.

BTW, my dad ran the glass factory in NY that made the porthole windows for the Space Shuttle, but you don't believe that either, right? Anyway, that has nothing to do with my knowledge of this subject or any other subject, which is not based on hasty Google searches.

Yaks
01-11-2014, 03:47
Both Jan and my posts are simply that you stated it as a fact the shuttle-hey use whatever broad version of what a shuttle is you like-used Windows NT.

You just made that up. Instead of confessing and admitting you don't really know, you go on the attack.

Fantastika
01-11-2014, 06:27
Both Jan and my posts are simply that you stated it as a fact the shuttle-hey use whatever broad version of what a shuttle is you like-used Windows NT.

That sentence doesn't make any grammatical sense.

You just made that up. Instead of confessing and admitting you don't really know, you go on the attack.

What a crock. Your post was some sort of 3-line joke or personal attack. And no, I didn't make anything up. And I'll be waiting until the 12th of Never before you or JanC "confesses and admits you don't really know."

JanC's post was a flat out falsehood - he stated there was no redundant software in the Shuttle. And he posted URL 'evidence' which he then used as a basis to jump to an erroneous conclusion.

Neither one of you know your behind from a hole in the ground when it comes to the space shuttle or DOD/NASA software.

NT was used in some of the shuttle software systems, whether you agree with reality or not. You can insist the sky is green, makes no difference to me.

Here's two articles, the first one a 2001 article in detail about Windows NT usage on the Space Shuttle and the ISS, in detail, from Wired magazine. It's a long, detailed article, the usual Wired comprehensive style.

2001 - A Space Laptop (http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=213)

Houston - Windows has Problems (http://archive.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2001/04/42912)

But you're not interested in researching any of this, the only thing you want to do is prove me wrong.

I've already given you 3 URL references, two here, and another one in the previous post.

I'll just highlight a bit of one article for you and the other low information poster, okay? since it's obvious to me you won't read a line of the article...

An IBM ThinkPad 760XD - the Payload and General Support Computer (PGSC)
PGSCs are connected on the Shuttle via a standard multipoint Ethernet bus topology. The network uses an OCA router (a PGSC laptop running Windows NT).
Like most busy commuters these days, astronauts need to take their laptop computers with them on the road - even if they are travelling at 17,500 miles per hour in a billion dollar space shuttle between Earth and the International Space Station.
PGSC's are used for everything from locating the shuttle's position in space during docking and operating scientific payloads to sending email and scheduling overboard urine dumps. The PGSC will serve as the basis for the standard portable computers used by U.S. Astronauts on the International Space Station as well as the Space Shuttle.
PGSCs are connected on the Shuttle via a standard multipoint Ethernet bus topology. The network uses an OCA router (a PGSC laptop running Windows NT) and has a wireless (RF) LAN access point and an Epson color printer attached.
The OPS LAN file server will be an IBM ThinkPad 760XD laptop computer equipped with Station Support Computer (SSC) server software. According to NASA "the software load includes Microsoft's Windows NT Server operating system."

Any more questions?

Why are you two low-information posters making a mountain out of a molehill? All I said was that the Shuttle used a 3-layer redundant software system, and that some scientists and others (me too) were concerned about the possible danger of relying on Windows NT in a mission critical operation. What's wrong with that? I thought this thread was about the explosion of a spacecraft, and searching for possible causes. What is your problem that you are so hyper-concerned about the information I bring to the forum table, what I offer, that you have to stamp it out and call it lies? That you accuse me of lying? As if this stuff, the technical details of Space Shuttle software, is really that important to you, as if you know anything whatsoever about software in spacecraft. You have a problem with my politics, and calling me a liar here, is your method of attacking my credibility elsewhere. It'
s the same method used by corrupt Western media - attack the character of the person, and ignore the facts of the issue.

This is a waste of time.

FatAndy
01-11-2014, 10:18
Comrades, chill down a bit :)

Uncle Wally
01-11-2014, 10:53
Comrades, chill down a bit :)

Deep Purple - Space Truckin' HD 1973 (Live in USA) - YouTube

TolkoRaz
01-11-2014, 11:24

Can you see any Penguins there? ;)

JanC
01-11-2014, 11:56
I was caught making stuff up again and now I won't admit it

No worries, I'll make it undeniably clear for you.

You said:

"In the space shuttle, they had 3 built-in redundant systems - they used Sunn operating system as primary, then if that failed, they had HP O/S, then if that failed, they would use Microsoft Windows NT.

If you were in the Space Shuttle, and you are depending on software-regulated supply of oxygen, proper speed, correct calculations for return to Earth, etc., would you trust your life on Windows not crashing?"

FACT: Neither of the 3 OS you mentioned were used by the Shuttle's onboard computers which regulate all the things you said.

FACT: The Shuttle's main computer used ONE operating system written in HAL/S http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL/S

FACT: The Shuttle's main computer used 4-way redundant hardware with an extra spare. The exact same OS runs on each.

FACT: In no way could the Astronaut's lives ever depend on Windows not crashing as Windows was never used for running any kind of critical system on the shuttle like oxygen supply or engine burns.

Essentially, not even one thing you said was actually true. Not even by accident. Very impressive.

The GPC's run a limited set of functions on the Space Shuttle. Most of what happens on the shuttle is controlled from the ground.

NASA says: "The GPCs serve as the brains of the space shuttle," Ferguson said. "It’s really the heart of the control system."

Essentially they ran all those essential things you said you wouldn't trust Windows with.

now JanC is more expert than the Pentagon-NASA, on what O/S's it uses and how it uses them.

Well, they are kind enough to publish their specs. The real question is why do you post things as "facts" when you don't actually know or bother to look up the actual specs.

Redundant hardware makes sense to you, and redundant software makes sense to people who know more about this than you ever will.

Sure. That's why there is no redundant software on the space shuttle or airliners.

You think all computers use hardware, chips, and memory exactly as a Microsoft Windows box does?

Well, if you want to run something like Windows or "Sunn" OS on them, yeah buddy, then they kind of have to. Remember I'm not the one who came up with that nonsense.

Anyway, "Space Shuttle software" isn't limited to a a few GPC's on the Shuttle itself.

See above. You said built-in redundant blablabla. Quite specific.

The launch and flight are controlled from the ground. That's why they call it "Ground Control." :duhhhh:

More things you "know" that don't actually work that way. The onboard computers are completely in control of the Shuttle as there would be too much latency controlling it directly from the ground. Of course corrections can be uploaded but at no point is a computer on the ground directly in control of the Shuttle.

"The shuttle system is so dependent on computers that a fraction of a second without them could be catastrophic during the critical parts of flight.

"We have a range where if you can't control the vehicle for 120 milliseconds, you could lose the vehicle," said Andrew Klausman, the United Space Alliance technical manager for the backup flight system and multifunction electronic display subsystem."

"shuttle software is written to successfully adjust to failures, such as when one main engine shut down early during the launch of the STS-51F mission in 1985. The software steered the shuttle safely into a lower-than-planned orbit and the Spacelab research mission still was successful. The computers also operated the shuttle safely during the launch of Columbia's STS-93 mission in 1999, when an electrical short in a main engine controller and a pinhole leak in a main engine occurred during ascent"

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=213

Are you kidding me? A Laptop?

How does this relate to your original claim of built-in 3-way redundant Shuttle systems using SunOS, HP and Windows? That Laptop doesn't run any Shuttle system.

NASA Says: Although the GPCs run the spacecraft during a mission, astronauts take a number of relatively modern computers with them into orbit in the form of laptops. Crews carry modified IBM ThinkPad A31p computers into space with them and use them for rendezvous assistance, entry and landing simulations and e-mailing Earth.

The laptops also are much faster than the GPCs and connect with devices not available to the GPCs. The Thinkpads use one of these connections to relay photos of the external tank falling away after launch to mission control at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

But that modernity has a trade-off: the laptops are not nearly as reliable as the GPCs due to radiation effects and use of less critical commercial off-the-shelf software, Klausman said.

The laptops, however, don't work on life-support or high-criticality systems that require the reliability found in the GPCs.

I said there were redundant systems on the Space Shuttle, Windows NT was a poor third option, and you instantly disagreed. On what basis?

On the basis that it was, and still is, entirely false. Windows NT was never part of the redundant Shuttle system. EVER.
SunOS and HP were not part of the redundant system, either. So basically every single thing you claimed was wrong. You were only right about the fact that there is redundancy, but it was 5-way instead of 3 and hardware instead of software (To avoid any confusion: we are talking about "software redundancy" here in the context that you claimed there were very specific 3rd party OS-es used which was not the case. It is likely NASA had software redundancy in the form of different programming teams coding the same OS in the same language as that would make sense for a critical system but I've not found confirmation of that)

At this point I suggest you crawl back under your rock to save yourself further embarrassment.

TolkoRaz
01-11-2014, 12:24
OMG, is it worth all of the effort and your time? :confused:

JanC
01-11-2014, 12:27
OMG, is it worth all of the effort and your time? :confused:

Since 2010, you have made 12,099 posts. I've made 1,075.

Now, mine *might* be longer on average and required some research every now and then, but in terms of wasting time I'm not sure who's ahead here ;)

At least I'm learning something in the process, I only ever use subject matter that I am genuinely interested in.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VcrNn8AiWMc/Tq2CavD4Y1I/AAAAAAAABCs/iv07lVmamsE/s1600/Someone+is+wrong+on+internet.png

TolkoRaz
01-11-2014, 12:41
Post 12,100 - No research!

:D

FatAndy
01-11-2014, 13:36
Ouch, guys, you're real children of the info age - comparing number and... erhm... length... :)

FatAndy
01-11-2014, 14:02
http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/item/statement-from-virgin-galactic/ - SpaceshipTwo of Virgin Galactic has fallen down in California. One pilot is dead, second catapulted and now in a hospital.
RIP to that brave guy. :(

Uncle Wally
01-11-2014, 21:40
Ouch, guys, you're real children of the info age - comparing number and... erhm... length... :)

By the numbers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoToxrc-hDg

Fantastika
02-11-2014, 01:23
...At this point I suggest you crawl back under your rock to save yourself further embarrassment.

I see your personal insults are allowed, even after being warned, but mine are deleted. So I suggest you slither away to save yourself further embarrassment ...

I read only the last sentence of your rant.

Now I know what they mean by "manic-obsessive" disorder.

Uncle Wally
02-11-2014, 01:40
I see your personal insults are allowed, even after being warned, but mine are deleted. So I suggest you slither away to save yourself further embarrassment ...

I read only the last sentence of your rant.

Now I know what they mean by "manic-obsessive" disorder.

Disfunktional family. Maybe, but at least we have each other. Come on let's have a group hug and come out punching. Wait a minute that's boxing. Forget that, ok some slither and others crawl but at least we're getting somewhere.

FatAndy
05-11-2014, 11:12
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/54519bd0cbb20f50510504b4

30th Oct the another Soyuz 2.1a carrier was launched from Plesetsk military cosmodrome, with Meridian telecom satellite (will be used for both military and civil needs).

FatAndy
06-11-2014, 12:56
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/545b308ccbb20f0973e7eede - joint production Dnepr missile (RF + Ukraine, modified РС-20 Воевода / SS-18 Satan in NATO terms)) was launched from Yasny launchpad of RVSN, Orenburg region, carrying Aснаро satellite + 4 micro satellites.

https://www.google.ru/maps/place/Yasny,+Orenburg+Oblast/@51.0263781,59.8626085,9220m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x422aeee7ba814cfd:0x6d26a0b4a0e93567?hl=en

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Launch_from_Yasny.jpg

drbobguy
06-11-2014, 13:33
Looks like a turbopump in the Russian engines was the most likely cause of the Antares failure.

They are still good engines though, just old. I hope this doesn't put further US-Russia space cooperation at risk.

Предварительный анализ показал, что модернизированные советские ракетные двигатели AJ-26 стали причиной аварии при запуске космического грузового корабля Cygnus к МКС. Американская компания Orbital, производящая ракеты Antares, собирается отказаться от использования этих агрегатов.

http://top.rbc.ru/business/05/11/2014/545a5684cbb20fd93d96980d#xtor=AL-[internal_traffic]--[rbc.ru]-[details_main]-[item_7-1]

FatAndy
10-11-2014, 11:26
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/05/us/antares-rocket-explosion/index.html - here is in Eng from CNN, repeating, and quoting CEO of Orbital Sciences.

http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/release.asp?prid=1921 - their PR on the matter as well.

Meanwhile...
http://top.rbc.ru/society/10/11/2014/54603ce4cbb20f5e476e7728 - Soyuz-TMA13M has landed successfully in Kazakhstan steppe, with 3 cosmonauts (RF, US/NASA and European Space Agency).
3 more (2 from RF and 1 from US/NASA) cosmonauts are still onboard of ISS.

FatAndy
17-11-2014, 10:52
http://top.rbc.ru/politics/17/11/2014/54697498cbb20f7e6aff733a - Kommersant says, RF will build own space station again, since 2017.

ISS obligations will be kept till 2020, as promised.

http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/5469c043cbb20f7c325d7826 - Roskosmos denies such plans

:)

Judge
18-11-2014, 08:09
NASA's new spacecraft 'Orion' will be taking off in a few weeks..

The long-awaited debut flight of NASA’s Orion spacecraft has been scheduled for a morning launch on December 4, a major milestone after nearly 10 years of development. With a window of around 60 minutes, her ride uphill on the United Launch Alliance (ULA) Delta IV-Heavy rocket is targeting a T-0 of 08:03 Eastern Time, from Cape Canaveral’s Space Launch Complex -37B (SLC-37B).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2787755/a-trial-fire-video-reveals-stages-nasa-s-daring-orion-test-flight-spacecraft-prepares-launch-december.html

Check out the informative video to see what they are doing...

Fantastika
18-11-2014, 16:04
NASA's new spacecraft 'Orion' will be taking off in a few weeks..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2787755/a-trial-fire-video-reveals-stages-nasa-s-daring-orion-test-flight-spacecraft-prepares-launch-december.html

Check out the informative video to see what they are doing...

I read this article, but the writer-reporter must be a high-school dropout.

I saw this twice: "Since the Van Allen belts were first discovered in 1958, astronomers have been trying to trace the source of the super-acceleration." Period?

And this: "The acceleration is so high that satellites have to protect their sensitive components with shielding if their orbit spends significant time in the belts"

What is "super acceleration?" "Super acceleration" of what?

The reporterette doesn't have a clue as to what she's talking about.

Finally, one of the commentators explains for this science-challenged reporterette: "...the "super accelerated" electrons (not satellites!) which are trapped by the (earth's) magnetic field within the van Allen radiation belt."

FatAndy
24-11-2014, 12:04
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/5472c0c6cbb20f9cdabc8ca7 - Soyuz-TMA15M has arrived to ISS, crew has moved inside ISS.

Now 6 cosmonauts onboard (3 RF, 2 NASA, 1 ESA)

FatAndy
01-12-2014, 10:53
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/547bd983cbb20f50acc7b81c - second GLONASS-K was launched to the orbit, Soyuz-2.1b carrier + Fregat accelerator, from Plesetsk RF military cosmodrome. The device was taken under control of G. Titov main testing space center, air/space defence forces.

FatAndy
01-12-2014, 11:46
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/30/tech/innovation/nasa-orion-spacecraft-test-flight/index.html - NASA plans to launch new Orion unmanned spaceship this Thursday.

Judge
01-12-2014, 13:57
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/547bd983cbb20f50acc7b81c - second GLONASS-K was launched to the orbit, Soyuz-2.1b carrier + Fregat accelerator, from Plesetsk RF military cosmodrome. The device was taken under control of G. Titov main testing space center, air/space defence forces.

I was checking my Garmin, and it seems it can work with GLONASS..

FatAndy
05-12-2014, 16:02
NASA/Cape Canaveral have successfully launched Orion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEuOpxOrA_0

Good.

FatAndy
08-12-2014, 12:37
Orion is back home:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdwy-o-nxgQ

"The Guardian" doesn't hesitate to bite NASA and Boeing: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/05/nasa-orion-launch-space-startup

"Yamal-401" comms satellite of RF to go from Baikonur at 15th Dec: http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/54853c7fcbb20fb7308feb39

FatAndy
23-12-2014, 10:27
Heavy class Angara A5 was launched today 08:57 from Plesetsk, 2.8 ton dummy load was delivered to GSO (36K km) http://www.federalspace.ru/21211/
S. Shoigu, RF defence minister, said in 2015 the total number of launches will be 1.5x, orbital group will be renewed at 25%.

FatAndy
16-01-2015, 17:22
http://www.energia.ru/ru/news/news-2015/news_01-16.html - space-missile corporation Energia announces the contract signed with Orbital, for the supply of 60 pcs of РД-181 propulsion engines (Energomash as a daughter structure will do the job). The sum is ~$1B.

Benedikt
16-01-2015, 18:20
http://www.energia.ru/ru/news/news-2015/news_01-16.html - space-missile corporation Energia announces the contract signed with Orbital, for the supply of 60 pcs of РД-181 propulsion engines (Energomash as a daughter structure will do the job). The sum is ~$1B.

and the pesky sanctions don't bothe anyone. least the americans. oil.. it was/is Saudi who is around, sanctions that were imposed is mostly about/around the EU.
And the Ukraine? who cares about them nosw? Charlie is the new problem. Ukraine is off the first pages....
of course everyone will say -space - was ALWAYS excluded, and the contracts were signed years ago, And Boeing and whoever else can not deliver the engines.... and,and,and... ! billion, not to bad... will they pay in $$ or Rubles?

FatAndy
16-01-2015, 18:33
The Dirty green paper still is intl payment currency.

Btw, Sea Launch, former RF-US-UA project with spacecraft launches from eqautor based floating platform, will be reassigned to use RF Angara heavy carrier instead of UA Yuzhmash products.

Judge
28-01-2015, 07:55
BRICS in space,

Russia has drawn up a proposal to create a new space station for the BRICS group of emerging economies that could be presented at the organization's five-nation summit this year, the TASS news agency reported Tuesday, citing a copy of the document.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russia-to-propose-brics-space-station/514972.html

FatAndy
02-02-2015, 13:43
http://www.federalspace.ru/21220/ - British Inmarsat 5F2 communications satellite has went from Baikonur by Proton-M (402nd of Protons totally).

FatAndy
17-02-2015, 15:05
http://www.federalspace.ru/21293/ - space truck "Progress M-26M" has went from Baikonur to ISS by Soyuz-U carrier. 2.3 ton of supplies onboard.

FatAndy
03-03-2015, 15:07
http://vz.ru/news/2015/3/3/732457.html - the first launch from Vostochny is planned for 25th Dec 2015, Soyuz-2.1a with Volga acceleration block.

Fantastika
04-03-2015, 06:06
the shuttle(and I was there in 86 to watch Challenger blow up-I was at Disneyworld at the time and got the pic on film) was a terribly wasteful and uneconomical program. But the public loved it and NASA would only get its funding with it-even though it ate a huge hole in the organisation.

Was that the one with the famous "puff of smoke"? Isn't a possible a sharpshooter with a silenced rifle could be hidden in a van and shot at it just before launch, from a mile away, where there were 100,000 people parked, watching?

FatAndy
12-03-2015, 11:01
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/5500f9ec9a79474b77e95bb8 - two ours and one yankee back to surface of Papa Kazakhstan in Soyuz-TM14 landing capsule.

FatAndy
16-03-2015, 16:26
http://www.federalspace.ru/21363/ - Proton-M carrier + Breeze-M accelerator + Express-AM7 heavy telecom satellite (based on EADS platform) are established at the 200th launchpad, 39th launcher of Baikonur. The launch is scheduled for 01:05 19th Mar.

FatAndy
26-03-2015, 10:00
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/551340f69a79472a4e0a9a4b - RF strategic missile forces have performed RS-20B Voevoda launch from Yasny polygon near Orenburg.

The payload was S.Korean Kompsat 3A multifunctional satellite.

RS-20B is being took off armament, according to RF-US agreements on strategic armaments, and used for civil launches too.

FatAndy
26-03-2015, 12:28
http://www.federalspace.ru/21389/ - Soyuz-TMA16M is on Launchpad #1 for R-7 (Gagarinsky one) at Baikonur cosmodrome. The launch is scheduled for tomorrow, 27 Mar, 22:42, ours and NASA guys in the crew.

FatAndy
15-04-2015, 13:32
http://www.spacex.com/news/2015/04/14/liftoff-falcon-9-and-dragon-begin-crs-6-mission-resupply-international-space-station - the next Falcon+Dragon has went off US to ISS/МКС successfully, 1.9 ton of supplies.

Though 1st acceleration block landing back (they plan to do it re-usable) was not soft, so no re-use for this particular one

FatAndy
28-04-2015, 20:18
http://vz.ru/news/2015/4/28/742695.html - problems with RF spacetruck Progress-M27M.
The device was launched today 10:09 MMT from Baikonur to ISS having 2.5 ton of resupply onboard, start was OK.
Then it has reached orbit higher than expected (probable cause is longer runtime or higher throttle of 3rd step engine), got only 2 of 5 antennas opened, plus non-controllable rotation, plus not a full telemetry received at Korolev mission control center.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiNjHjpunU

At the 2nd half of 29th Apr night (around 03:50 MMT, 15-16 min window) mission control center will try to reestablish telemetry and control in teleop manual mode, stabilise the device, then on next turnovers they will try to push it down to precalculated orbit and dock it to ISS with a hand control.

Englishman In Moscow
28-04-2015, 22:14
Just a bit nearer to home......well worth a look

m.kp.ru/daily/26365.4/3246563/

JPS
28-04-2015, 23:40
Given the number of RU / SU failures to reach beyond Earth's orbit maybe the 40-odd year old rockets aren't that reliable.

Mercury - No RU / SU launches.
Venus - Yay, the RU / SU managed to get there and land.
Mars - All RU / SU launches failed to hit their target, apart from Mars 6 which did hit it

FatAndy
29-04-2015, 09:19
Given the number of RU / SU failures to reach beyond Earth's orbit maybe the 40-odd year old rockets aren't that reliable.

Mercury - No RU / SU launches.
Venus - Yay, the RU / SU managed to get there and land.
Mars - All RU / SU launches failed to hit their target, apart from Mars 6 which did hit it
And how many launches to Mars and Venus were performed by la belle France? ;) And how many cosmonauts/astronauts were launched by French carriers?

Most of our issues with last year launches were connected with newly developed Бриз, Бриз-М and Фрегат acceleration blocks of 3rd step.

And you're wrong with numbers, comrade. Korolev's Р-7 is of 1956 development (Soyuz and, partially, Proton are based on it), so 60 yo soon ;)

http://top.rbc.ru/politics/29/04/2015/55403b929a7947057fa5a541 - Pentagon asks Congress to allow РД-180 usage till 2022.

http://top.rbc.ru/technology_and_media/29/04/2015/5540732d9a79471a6ff0ab90 - on preliminary data two attempts to establish control over Progress-M27M and stabilise it have failed during the night.

Judge
29-04-2015, 17:39
Unmanned Russian cargo spacecraft is falling to Earth
odds on someone getting hit,1 in 3,200

FatAndy
29-04-2015, 17:56
And it's between 52nd degrees of latitudes.

Uncle Wally
29-04-2015, 23:21

What are the odds on someone really caring?

Judge
30-04-2015, 14:29
What are the odds on someone really caring?

Of course there are more important things to care about, like what Kim Kardashian is wearing.:10293:

Nobbynumbnuts
30-04-2015, 14:59
Of course there are more important things to care about, like what Kim Kardashian is wearing.:10293:

..always gets my attention! ;)

Judge
30-04-2015, 15:11
..always gets my attention! ;)

Cosmic Nobby, cosmic!!!

Nobbynumbnuts
30-04-2015, 17:32
Cosmic Nobby, cosmic!!!

Can't beat a full figured woman!!

Fantastika
30-04-2015, 20:44
http://vz.ru/news/2015/4/28/742695.html - problems with RF spacetruck Progress-M27M.
The device was launched today 10:09 MMT from Baikonur to ISS having 2.5 ton of resupply onboard, start was OK.
Then it has reached orbit higher than expected (probable cause is longer runtime or higher throttle of 3rd step engine), got only 2 of 5 antennas opened, plus non-controllable rotation, plus not a full telemetry received at Korolev mission control center.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YMiNjHjpunU

At the 2nd half of 29th Apr night (around 03:50 MMT, 15-16 min window) mission control center will try to reestablish telemetry and control in teleop manual mode, stabilise the device, then on next turnovers they will try to push it down to precalculated orbit and dock it to ISS with a hand control.

Is anyone thinking what I was thinking? I mean, every day, in the Google news, I see "NATO worried about Russian cyber-terrorism" or "Russian hackers invade White House", "US developing countermeasures to Russian Cyber-warfare," etc., blah blah blah....

So I am thinking, now why does someone accuse another person of doing something wrong? Well, when they themselves are doing the same wrong thing. For example "Look, the Russians have troops in Ukraine" and the media ignores the fact that the US has troops in Ukraine (US troops are defined as "instructors" or "trainers").

Perhaps some of the Pentagoons are practicing their cyber "countermeasures" on satellites... :eek:

Judge
01-05-2015, 21:47
Can't beat a full figured woman!!

On that we agree, finally we agree on something...:uk:

FatAndy
06-05-2015, 11:32
http://www.federalspace.ru/21463/ - Roskosmos notifies, uncontrolled Progress-M27M will be falling out of orbit 8th May. F@$k. Hope nobody will be injured.

All ppl included in the production and launch are awaiting smth in the style of German hardcore porno. :yuk:

FatAndy
08-05-2015, 13:06
http://www.federalspace.ru/21474/ - Progress-M27M has been destroyed today over Pacific ocean. 13th May we expect the results of investigation, why the control was lost.

FatAndy
09-05-2015, 13:09
16th May Proton-M heavy carrier is expected to start from the launch complex #200 at Baikonur, with Mexsat as a payload.

FatAndy
12-05-2015, 21:26
http://www.federalspace.ru/21481/ - preliminaryresults of commission on Progress-M27M. Payload (Progress-M27M itself) has detached from 3rd step of carrier incorrectly, the reasons are two consequent events - decompression of oxidiser tank, then fuel tank of 3rd step.

Judge
22-05-2015, 16:10
Russia's Audit Chamber has discovered $1.8 billion of financial violations in the Roscosmos space agency. According to Chamber head Tatyana Golikova, this included accounting violations, misuse of budget funds and inefficient spending on construction.

"At first I didn't believe the inspectors," Golikova said, Interfax reported.
http://rt.com/news/261201-roscosmos-misused-funds-audit/

FatAndy
22-05-2015, 16:22
:iagree: There will be repressions started from the rotten damned regime...

Several days ago Roskosmos has lost Proton-M with MexSat, ~500 sec of flight, again problems with 3rd step/Breeze-M accelerator.
http://www.federalspace.ru/21455/ - mission result
http://www.federalspace.ru/21491/ - failure confirmation
http://www.federalspace.ru/21492/ - incident commission was created

Judge
22-05-2015, 16:30
:iagree: There will be repressions started from the rotten damned regime...

Several days ago Roskosmos has lost Proton-M with MexSat, 500+ sec of flight, again problems with 3rd step/Breeze-M accelerator.

A good chance to clear up the corruption ,If they don't,more accidents to follow. .

I'm off to play some Buddy,"That'll Be the Day"

FatAndy
22-05-2015, 16:50
A good chance to clear up the corruption ,If they don't,more accidents to follow. .
Well, corruption exists, but there are another problems there, more serious

Judge
22-05-2015, 16:58
Well, corruption exists, but there are another problems there, more serious

Like?

FatAndy
22-05-2015, 17:02
Like?
Quality control scheme, design verification princiles, lack of qualified workers (many are pre-pensioners, no younger replacement), many of inter-enterprise connections lost during 199x.

Judge
22-05-2015, 18:21
Quality control scheme, design verification princiles, lack of qualified workers (many are pre-pensioners, no younger replacement), many of inter-enterprise connections lost during 199x.

The misused money would be better spend on wages, attracting highly skilled workers. .and even more important spent on courses in schools..

FatAndy
22-05-2015, 18:31
The misused money would be better spend on wages, attracting highly skilled workers. .and even more important spent on courses in schools..
Again, it depends. The question remains indeed how and when the money were dedicated, who controlled expenses/distribution etc. But if there is no systematic approach to both quality control, design control and professional education, money itself won't help. It's only instrument.

FatAndy
29-05-2015, 17:55
https://news.mail.ru/incident/22187556/?frommail=1 - the reason of Proton-M failure of 16th May 2015 (MexSat payload) is failure of the bearing in the 3rd step engine, Interfax says based on the source close to the state commission.

vossy7
29-05-2015, 20:26
This is so sad , I had the pleasure to spend many great visits to ГКНПЦ and of course the ultimate visit to Baikonur to witness a Proton launch, still is one of the most amazing moments in my life . The launch yield % of Proton was and still is impressive but the recent events give cause for concern......the Chinese had a great track record in 2014 ......watch this space......sorry no pun intended......heavy collaboration methinks....:idea:

FatAndy
05-06-2015, 19:41
Military satellite has went from Plesetsk cosmodrome by Soyuz 2.1a carrier at 18:24 mmt today.

FatAndy
10-06-2015, 14:06
http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-elon-musk-spacex/ - the funny story about Elon Musk in RF. All attributes, including vodka at 11 am.

In late October 2001, Elon Musk went to Moscow to buy an intercontinental ballistic missile. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

FatAndy
11-06-2015, 17:20
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/557995229a79479facbdde06 - Soyz-TMA16M capsule is back to Papa Kazakhstan from ISS. One our guy, one ESA lady, one NASA guy. All are alive, drinking kumyss... ;)

vossy7
11-06-2015, 17:35
Great stuff Andy .....the best way to spend your birthday .....playing with your rockets whilst DUI:celebrate::celebrate:

FatAndy
11-06-2015, 17:50
http://www.federalspace.ru/21528/ - first tests of brand new Soyuz-2 start table at Vostochny cosmodrome - passed (electrics, hydraulics, end switches, upper dock power belt). There are a lot of things to do, but they do it 1 mo in advance to schedule.

vossy7
11-06-2015, 18:41
http://www.federalspace.ru/21528/ - but they do it 1 mo in advance to schedule.
The way it used to be:)

FatAndy
24-06-2015, 12:42
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/5589ab1a9a79476b0c6b2419 - military satellite Kosmos-2506 for RF defense ministry has went today from Plesetsk by Soyuz 2.1b

Uncle Wally
25-06-2015, 01:28
http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/5589ab1a9a79476b0c6b2419 - military satellite Kosmos-2506 for RF defense ministry has went today from Plesetsk by Soyuz 2.1b

"has gone to"!

FatAndy
25-06-2015, 10:33
"has gone to"!
Thanks for correction, comrade!:applause:

FatAndy
26-06-2015, 11:32
http://www.federalspace.ru/21549/ - Arianespace, Oneweb and Roskosmos have signed the contract for 21 launch of 672 microsatellites with Soyuz carriers in 2017-2019 timeframe. 6 launches are planned from French Guiana, 15 from Baikonur and Plesetsk.

vossy7
26-06-2015, 12:53
http://www.federalspace.ru/21549/ - Arianespace, Oneweb and Roskosmos have signed the contract for 21 launch of 672 microsatellites with Soyuz carriers in 2017-2019 timeframe. 6 launches are planned from French Guiana, 15 from Baikonur and Plesetsk.

Thanks for the nice info mate , love all this stuff and so glad you find if for us :10806:

FatAndy
28-06-2015, 20:52
https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacex/ - seems SpaceX again has some issues. Falcon 9 carrier with Dragon spacetruck (CRS-7 mission in NASA abbreviation) has exploided shortly (2m 19s) after start.

Roskosmos plans to launch Progress M-28M resupply at Jul 3 from Baikonur.

FatAndy
03-07-2015, 12:19
http://www.federalspace.ru/21565/ - Progress M-28M spacetruck successfully launched from Baikonur by Soyuz-U carrier today, reached intermediate orbit. Docking to ISS is planned for 5th Jul. 2.8 ton supplies onboard.

http://www.federalspace.ru/21566/ - its telemetry is being received already at Vostochny cosmodrome command center.

FatAndy
05-07-2015, 21:53
http://www.federalspace.ru/21570/ - docked to ISS at 10:17 MMT.
2381 kg of Borodinsky, salo, garlic and vodka safely arrived to Padalka and Kornienko. Kelly is suffering w/o burgers and maple syrup

FatAndy
11-07-2015, 18:32
http://www.federalspace.ru/21576/ - main and spare crew for Soyuz-TMA-17M (manned flight to ISS) arrived to Baikonur. The launch is planned 23 Jul at 00:02 MMT.

FatAndy
21-07-2015, 15:18
http://www.federalspace.ru/21594/ - Soyuz-FG + TMA-17M are delivered from 112th MTC to Gagarinsky launchpad

http://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/55ae1f2f9a79473675ee4020 - some issues noticed while preparing the launch of Soyuz-FG + TMA-17M, connected with software failure during tests.

FatAndy
22-07-2015, 11:28
http://www.federalspace.ru/21598/ - final pre-start press conference of 44/45 crew, planned to launch at the very first minutes of 23rd Jul, with pics.

FatAndy
22-07-2015, 11:38
SpaceX tells about the reason of Falcon 9 carrier failure at 28th June (CRS-7 in NASA terminology) http://www.spacex.com/news/2015/07/20/crs-7-investigation-update

Judge
22-07-2015, 17:02
Not sure where to post this Andy, here or in your bloody regime thread, :p
Would the Russian leaders want to p%ss off the US ?

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/business/article/russia-could-make-us-astronauts-train-in-crimea/525887.html

FatAndy
22-07-2015, 17:14
Not sure where to post this Andy, here or in your bloody regime thread, :p
Would the Russian leaders want to p%ss off the US ?
I think it's the question of training, not the question of politics.

I guess US astronauts will like бiле мiцне (white strong) wine sold in Krym from those big barrels on wheels, like kvas' ones. So regarding word "forcing" in the article... :D
http://img.novosti-n.org/upload/analitic/12007.jpg

http://caxapa.ru/thumbs/?800,231554,http://forum.onliner.by/files/201011/162871_1291112180_4636d45b0cdb1c3389a1fa321cbef7a6.jpg

FatAndy
23-07-2015, 13:47
http://www.federalspace.ru/21603/ - Soyuz TMA-17M launch OK from Baikonur, pics

http://www.federalspace.ru/21604/ - issues: left solar panel not opened (Sochi ring syndrome? :D)

http://www.federalspace.ru/21605/ - docking to ISS OK (small research module docking port, RF section), left panel was opened yet before docking (sledgehammer works always), united crew drinks sake smuggled by Japanese guy

http://www.federalspace.ru/21606/ - mobile telemetry receiving points near Vostochny escorted the flight, telemetry OK, pics

FatAndy
05-08-2015, 13:16
http://top.rbc.ru/technology_and_media/05/08/2015/55c1ac589a794761c33d0b49 - there are rumours that first launch from Vostochny cosmodrome (planned for 25 Dec) may be postponed if conctructors/builders of infrastructure will be not ready.

vossy7
05-08-2015, 14:51
Now you're talking hic :bowdown:

vossy7
05-08-2015, 14:51
Now you're talking hic :bowdown:

That was linked to the Jemmy post :love:

FatAndy
08-08-2015, 12:19
http://tass.ru/kosmos/2173862 - 51st and 52nd manned flights/expeditions to ISS confirmed (EU, RF, US).

http://tass.ru/kosmos/2171141 - main and spare crews for Soyuz TMA-18M are in exams session in Zvezdny (Moscow region, near Korolev). The launch is scheduled for 2nd Sep.

nicklcool
25-08-2015, 18:28
The American astronauts drink the pee of the Russian ones!
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-25/u-s-and-russia-can-t-even-agree-on-how-to-recycle-astronaut-pee

If we can drink their urine you'd think we could understand their point of view on the Ukraine, it's just too close to the motherland to allow foreign agents to influence her!

FatAndy
29-08-2015, 00:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjTz8ZXoJvg - the first Proton-M after May's fault has gone from Baikonur, payload is Inmarsat 5F3

Judge
01-09-2015, 15:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjTz8ZXoJvg - the first Proton-M after May's fault has gone from Baikonur, payload is Inmarsat 5F3

This was a really big important lift off, well done to the Russian team, with all the recent problems a lot of nervous ppl on the British side. .
Read more here about the Inmarsat satellite,http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/08/29/proton-back-in-action-with-successful-launch-for-inmarsat/

FatAndy
01-09-2015, 17:19
Yes, they had some constrictive/design defect either in 3rd step or i Breeze accelerator but seems overcame it.

FatAndy
02-09-2015, 09:43
http://www.federalspace.ru/21696/ - Soyuz-FG carrier with manned Soyuz-TMA18M has gone today from Baikonur to ISS (launchpad #1, Gagarinsky start). One Russian, one Kazakh cosmonauts, one guy from European space agency.

Judge
02-09-2015, 10:15
The "one guy " is the first ever Dane to go to space, a big day for Denmark.
3 guesses what he took to space with him,:D
http://gu.com/p/4c2d8?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Messages

FatAndy
02-09-2015, 11:27
The "one guy " is the first ever Dane to go to space, a big day for Denmark.
Let them celebrate then, with Danzka and rye bread ;)

Uncle Wally
02-09-2015, 15:24
I read one article that stated in the head line "The world's 500th..)

No it was Russia's 500th.

Judge
11-09-2015, 07:44
Good to see Russian rockets helping out its EU partners.
Next Galileo satellites launched - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34217255

FatAndy
12-09-2015, 09:06
http://www.federalspace.ru/21714/ - the crew of 43/44 ISS expedition is back to mama Earth
http://www.federalspace.ru/21715/ - RF cosmonaut Gennady Padalka has the new world record - 878 days in space totally (5 missions)

FatAndy
12-09-2015, 14:59
http://www.federalspace.ru/21713/ - Proton-M carrier + DM-03 accelerator + Express AM8 comms satellite payload are on the start table of Baikonur cosmodrome (81st launchpad, launcher #24). Start is scheduled for 22:00 MMT 14th Sep

FatAndy
14-09-2015, 21:52
http://www.federalspace.ru/317/ - ten minutes to launch, online broadcast

UPD: seems OK, orbital accelerator with payload has detached from 3rd step OK.

JPS
14-09-2015, 22:23
Has it blown up yet?

:tongue:

Judge
14-09-2015, 22:45
Has it blown up yet?

:tongue:
Sorry to disappoint, so far so good,
http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/09/14/proton-rocket-takes-off-with-express-am8-communications-bird/

FatAndy
15-09-2015, 10:37
Express AM8 has reached the needed orbit.

FatAndy
17-10-2015, 13:20
http://www.federalspace.ru/21788/ - fifth Proton-M of this year with Turkish comms satellite as the payload has gone from 200th launchpad of Baikonur cosmodrome.
http://www.federalspace.ru/21789/ - Turksat 4B has reached the orbit.

Benedikt
17-10-2015, 15:34

check back some of my posts here. amazing story these engines. they were built during cccp times when the `soviets wanted to be first at the moon. the americans were first ( they went to the moon, didn't they).ZK ordered to destroy all the spare rocket engines. some 60 or 70 or more. one engineer thought what a waste, mothballed them quietly and some 60 years later they were =found=. it was peace now, the yanks had scuttled the shuttle program and needed rocket engines. and russia was glad to sell them for a few millions each...engineers even went over there to adapt and screw them together for american systems... apparently it worked. than Obama said =sanctions= EXCLUDING the rocket engines and special the ones that were paid for already. lots of fun and games the story...

Alan65
16-12-2015, 01:21
I think today was a good day for all.

Judge
16-12-2015, 08:53
I think today was a good day for all.

Definitely was, a good launch, a glitch at the end had everyone on the edge of their seats. .

FatAndy
16-12-2015, 09:38
Definitely was, a good launch, a glitch at the end had everyone on the edge of their seats. .
Guys have managed somehow with hand control. Media say, there was EMI issue between Cygnus space truck transmitter and Kurs automatic docking system.

UPD: Another version of some "source" says, the reason of hand control usage was not enough throttle on one of engines in orientation/docking system.

Anyway, I suppose a lot of perverted sexual relations in the space industry nearest time...

vossy7
16-12-2015, 13:56
Really excellent, I remember my first time to see a launch in Baikonur back in the mid 90s.....the celebrations after the launch were very cosy....
To me the Mir is still one of the great technological achievements and I was proud to have witnessed some great events in it's history, this is the scene at ЦУП where I gave a warm hug to Professor Лобачев after the successful first docking with the Shuttle. The top photo was the team's fist visit to NASA which was so interesting to see the interactions between the real experts from both sides. one of the highlights of my life to be sure,
As my birthday falls on the 12th April I received many interesting artifacts from my friends at ЦУП.....e.g. these post markeed envelopes and the one below is funny , the Mir crew were sent some small quantities of alcohol for celebrations. These and quite a few more were presented to me back in the 90s and have perished unfortunately.

TolkoRaz
16-12-2015, 15:42
Very interesting vossy7 - I think you and I have walked similiar ground. I have been to Baikanor and into Star City on several occasions for big events and other heavy duty gatherings! ;)

vossy7
22-12-2015, 09:47
I have to say this is pretty impressive.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35157782

Benedikt
22-12-2015, 14:47
[QUOTE=vossy7;1437999]I have to say this is pretty impressive.

and it looks good for the future. it is the privates who are doing it. and doing a damn good job. suppose NASA does not have much of a future anymore? spending trillions and trillions of government and taxpayers money. and not having even something on their own to bring their own astronauts up to the IS.

FatAndy
10-01-2016, 11:58
Results of space exploration in 2015 by TASS:
http://tass.ru/info/2569372

Judge
30-01-2016, 16:28
Carl &Fenrir, you have Russia to thank for having better digital TV, or maybe not better but now you finally can make the switch from analog to digital..:tv:

The Eutelsat 9B satellite is designed to provide digital television and data services in Scandinavia and the Baltic countries.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/science/20160130/1033956110/russia-launchel-proton.html#ixzz3yjaIGw6J

FatAndy
30-01-2016, 17:14
Read more: http://sputniknews.com/science/20160130/1033956110/russia-launchel-proton.html#ixzz3yjaIGw6J
Yes, seems this time Breeze-M accelerator block pulled the payload to GSO in the regular mode.

http://www.federalspace.ru/21958/ - ours started to assemble Soyuz-2.1a carrier in Uglegorsk/Vostochny.

http://www.federalspace.ru/21964/ - a part of payload, 2 satellites, arrived to Vostochny.

FatAndy
28-04-2016, 12:39
After 1 day delay (control automatic have stopped start sequence yesterday morning) Soyuz 2.1a carrier with 3 satellites has gone from Vostochny, today 5:01 am.

http://youtu.be/b-1AoE4R4w8

L'Allah as sayah...

vossy7
28-04-2016, 13:29
Still never tire of seeing launches, amazing what a bit of pressure from the boss does !

FatAndy
28-04-2016, 13:39
amazing what a bit of pressure from the boss does !
It is called magic kickbutt (волшебный пендаль) in Russian.
Though I'm somehow sure other languages must have the similar expressions.

Uncle Wally
28-04-2016, 13:41
Still never tire of seeing launches, amazing what a bit of pressure from the boss does !

He's a "can do" kind of guy!

Carl
28-04-2016, 15:44
He's a "can do" kind of guy!

Until it comes to improving the lot of millions of his fellow countrymen...:yawn:

TolkoRaz
28-04-2016, 17:29

A rocket up the ass from the boss usually works! ;)

FatAndy
28-04-2016, 22:11
Until it comes to improving the lot of millions of his fellow countrymen...:yawn:
Do you still envy, knight? ;)

Does the whole budget of "European country" you have the happiness to live in reach the sum we spent for the fifth cosmodrome? :)

Allah o akbar... Raise your head ®.

How it was created ;)

http://youtu.be/IRGYiVeM6II

vossy7
29-04-2016, 06:49

Does the whole budget of "European country" you have the happiness to live in reach the sum we spent for the fifth cosmodrome? :)

How it was created ;)

Great vid , love Mr P's little yellow car :)

Uncle Wally
29-04-2016, 09:32

You really love derailing every thread with your "Putin's in so bad" rant. Millions of Russians do live better than before Putin. I've been here well before Putin started making things better. Has it been slow? Yes, but it's getting better .

Carl
29-04-2016, 11:04
You really love derailing every thread with your "Putin's in so bad" rant. Millions of Russians do live better than before Putin. I've been here well before Putin started making things better. Has it been slow? Yes, but it's getting better .

I know.. It's only been 16 years. We should give him another 20 or so to really see the improvements. I mean those outside his circle of cronies should start to feel the improvements after year 30 or 35 I guess.
Look at the statistics Willy..not just what they show on Channel 1.

Carl
29-04-2016, 11:20

How it was created ;)

I wonder how many orphans, veterans and pensioners that sum could have raised from the depths of grinding poverty..? :confused:

FatAndy
29-04-2016, 11:44
I wonder how many orphans, veterans and pensioners that sum could have raised from the depths of grinding poverty..? :confused:
None. There are another budget articles for this.

Change metodichka, yours is obsolete ;)

TolkoRaz
29-04-2016, 20:45

Have you asked India that too?

What about the homeless in the US of A?

Carl
29-04-2016, 21:04
Have you asked India that too?

What about the homeless in the US of A?

I suspect that if I was on the Expat.India or Expat.USA site I probably would...

Fantastika
29-04-2016, 23:48

The problem is 60% of the tax money to "fight poverty" winds up in the pockets of bureaucrats administering the "fight poverty" programs, to erect colossal new steel, concrete and glass government office towers bristling with armed skinhead security guards to house the bureaucrats, and to provide $1 million pensions for the bureaucratic "pencil pushers" (but nowadays we could call them "cyber surfers"). :)

FatAndy
29-05-2016, 17:35
29th May, 11:45, Plesetsk military cosmodrome, Soyuz 2.1b carrier and Glonass-M payload

http://youtu.be/ccLFT0bQX0E

Shma, Isroel... ©

Carl, please... :)

vossy7
29-05-2016, 22:57
Just wonderful , the rest of the world still cannot fathom how much Russia contributed to the exploration of the cosmos .....!

Uncle Wally
29-05-2016, 23:15
Just wonderful , the rest of the world still cannot fathom how much Russia contributed to the exploration of the cosmos .....!

That's just because they can't fathom the sacrifice Russians made in defeating the nazi because they've been lied to. If it wasn't for Russian rocket engines the US would not be in space and we'd all be speaking English and drinking Coca-Cola.

fenrir
30-05-2016, 08:28
That's just because they can't fathom the sacrifice Russians made in defeating the nazi because they've been lied to. If it wasn't for Russian rocket engines the US would not be in space and we'd all be speaking English and drinking Coca-Cola.

Care to explain your bit of nonsense, especially the last part (If it wasn't for Russian rocket engines the US would not be in space and we'd all be speaking English and drinking Coca-Cola.)?

FatAndy
30-05-2016, 08:51
:emote_popcorn:

Judge
30-05-2016, 09:09
Care to explain your bit of nonsense, especially the last part (If it wasn't for Russian rocket engines the US would not be in space and we'd all be speaking English and drinking Coca-Cola.)?

Someone else had to explain themselves about the Russian space industry,

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin has been left red-faced after telling reporters that “Russia will never catch up to the United States in the space race,” the Interfax news agency reported.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/news/article/russian-space-industry-nine-times-behind-us-says-rogozin/570708.html

FatAndy
30-05-2016, 12:33
Spetsstroi of RF will build the new space objects tracking center in Zeya, Amurskaya region, planned to finish in 2017. Again for money of orphans, pensioners and veterans. ;)

FatAndy
08-06-2016, 09:24
http://www.roscosmos.ru/22293/ - Proton-M carrier with US Intelsat DLA-2 payload to start tomorrow 10:10 MMT from Baikonur (81th or 200th launchpad), rescheduled from today on technical reasons.

FatAndy
09-06-2016, 10:09
2 min to launch, can't see, no plugin in tablet:
http://www.roscosmos.ru/317/

FatAndy
09-06-2016, 10:29
Launch OK.

Judge
09-06-2016, 12:28
Launch OK.

It's like Russia is sending up a rocket every week, hard to keep up with it all, well done to all involved. .

FatAndy
10-06-2016, 09:53
Intelsat is on GSO, in the target position, our military space guys drive Breeze-M accelerator back to low orbit, to start atmosphere burn/sinking process. Allah o akbar.

It's like Russia is sending up a rocket every week, hard to keep up with it all, well done to all involved. .

Yes, a week ago we sent our military satellite from Plesetsk.
Magic enema of turpentine and patefone needles sometimes is really magic, especially with Vovan as a "manipulation sista". ;)

Judge
10-06-2016, 11:46
Intelsat is on GSO, in the target position, our military space guys drive Breeze-M accelerator back to low orbit, to start atmosphere burn/sinking process. Allah o akbar.

Yes, a week ago we sent our military satellite from Plesetsk.
Magic enema of turpentine and patefone needles sometimes is really magic, especially with Vovan as a "manipulation sista". ;)

Yes, very kind of the Russians to help their American counterparts by putting a US satellite in space.
I bet McCain is hopping mad..:big-grin:

FatAndy
13-06-2016, 12:30
Yes, very kind of the Russians to help their American counterparts by putting a US satellite in space.
To cover Latin America with suffocating smoke of imperialistic propaganda. ;)

Chinese comrades have launched today the 23th satellite of Beidou, national geopositioning system.
http://tass.ru/kosmos/3359690

"Geopolitical foes"© have launched spy satellite 11th Jun:
http://tass.ru/kosmos/3358192

FatAndy
15-06-2016, 19:15
SpaceX have successfully launched Falcon9 carrier with EUTELSAT 117 West B and ABS-2A satellites payload. Carrier landing back to drone platform failed.

FatAndy
18-06-2016, 13:02
46th/47th ISS expedition crew is back to papa Kazakhstan (three guys - RF, NASA, ESA):

http://youtu.be/pOHPHmHwNQw

vossy7
18-06-2016, 23:34
Andy , thanks for the continuous updates on my favourite subject.....how can a man who was born on the 12th of April not love this!
Have you been keeping in touch with what's going on with the continued research into gravitational waves and dark matter/energy .....if not I can send you some amazing links:sun:

FatAndy
06-07-2016, 09:38
Soyuz-MS to go from Baikonur tomorrow by Soyuz-FG carrier,
http://www.roscosmos.ru/22401/ - the schedule of online videoreporting

http://www.roscosmos.ru/22403/ - crew's PC, our commander, one guy from Japan, one girl from US.

ISS crew now is two our guys and one guy from US.

FatAndy
07-07-2016, 18:36
Launch ok.
http://www.roscosmos.ru/22407/

FatAndy
01-09-2016, 17:56
Falcon 9 has exploded at Canaveral cape:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/01/a-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-just-exploded-at-cape-canaveral/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpZ0m7Tdd8

zzhhst
01-09-2016, 19:27
I felt it Cocoa beach, Merit Island FLA. I was about 7 kilometers away. My ears are still ringing.

Uncle Wally
01-09-2016, 20:40
Falcon 9 has exploded at Canaveral cape:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/01/a-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-just-exploded-at-cape-canaveral/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYpZ0m7Tdd8

They should have used a Russian rocket engine.

zzhhst
01-09-2016, 22:06

The end result is a combination of lightning and hydrogen fueling the engines. Tropical storm / hurricane in tonight.

TolkoRaz
01-09-2016, 22:26
Damn expensive firework! They should have saved it for 4th July! ;)

Judge
01-09-2016, 22:41

Musk tried to use Russian rockets but the Russians more or less laughed at him when he visited Russia to buy, what he's doing his a great for the space industry, I hope he succeeds.

Uncle Wally
01-09-2016, 23:50
Musk tried to use Russian rockets but the Russians more or less laughed at him when he visited Russia to buy, what he's doing his a great for the space industry, I hope he succeeds.

Yes I agree. Maybe I'm just tired, sorry. Anyone who can spend their own money for the good of humanity can't be all that bad. I wish more billionaires were like him and not like George Soros. We are going to need some place to go after Hillary wins/cheats and steals the election and drives us to the ultimate money making war that ends life on this planet. You think we have enough time to get to Mars?

Benedikt
02-09-2016, 00:34

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/01/news/companies/spacex-explosion/index.html

the FIRST video shows a beautiful fireball!at least it was metal only. no people were involved. no one hurt or killed.

FatAndy
07-09-2016, 09:54
http://www.roscosmos.ru/22614/ - two our guys and one from NASA (47/48 expedition, 172 days) have landed back to Papa Kazahstan off board of ISS today.

FatAndy
02-10-2016, 11:49
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/implication-of-sabotage-adds-intrigue-to-spacex-investigation/2016/09/30/5bb60514-874c-11e6-a3ef-f35afb41797f_story.html
Oi wei... SpaceX is suspecting ULA (Boeing+Lockheed M.) in a sabotage! Kapitalizom! ©

FatAndy
04-10-2016, 19:42
Today 59 years ago (4th Oct 1957) USSR has launched the Earth's first artificial satellite.

At the same time it was the demonstration of delivery instrument. :)

The missile-nuclear shield of Motherland is always on duty.

http://youtu.be/nMbM8Jx-esA

Judge
12-10-2016, 18:43
Something to look forward to next week,

A joint mission led by the European Space Agency and Roscosmos arrives at Mars next week, and its first order of business will be to make history. If all goes well, NASA is about to lose its bragging rights as the only space agency to successfully land probes on the Red Planet.

http://gizmodo.com/two-space-agencies-will-try-to-make-a-historic-landing-1787614033

FatAndy
12-10-2016, 20:59
NASA has postponed the launch of Antares missile with Cygnus cargo spacecraft payload, directed to the ISS, because of 'Nicole' hurricane which can affect the launchpad in Virginia, till 16th Oct.
http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/atlantic-storm-system-delays-nasa-resupply-launch-to-space-station

FatAndy
17-10-2016, 10:16
US don't plan to prolong "space taxi" contract with RF after 2018:
http://tass.ru/kosmos/370860

Soyuz-FG is mounted at Baikonur launchpad #31, to start 19th Oct. Two our guys + NASA guy:
http://www.roscosmos.ru/22754/

Judge
19-10-2016, 07:44
Big day for space enthusiasts, Russia is sending up a crew to the ISS , and a probe will be landing on Mars later today, a joint mission by Roscosmos and ESA.

FatAndy
19-10-2016, 14:34
http://www.roscosmos.ru/22765/ - start OK, Soyuz-MS-02 is on the target orbit. Docking to ISS is planned in 2 days, 21st Oct.

Judge
19-10-2016, 15:30
You can even watch the docking just by looking up at the sky.:smoking:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/home.cfm

vossy7
20-10-2016, 04:44
Great link ,I love this site:smile:

FatAndy
21-10-2016, 13:22
You can even watch the docking just by looking up at the sky.:smoking:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/home.cfm

Docked today OK.

FatAndy
30-10-2016, 13:24
http://www.roscosmos.ru/22820/ - our guy, Japanese guy and US girl have landed back to Papa Kazahstan, 47/48th expedition.
Allah o akbar.

FatAndy
02-12-2016, 11:22
Yesterday, 01 Dec Roskosmos has reported Progress MS-04 cargo spacecraft was lost on the 383rd second of flight. Destruction has occurred at 190 km altitude over Tuva republic of RF. Fire brigades are moved into the zones where debris falled.
State commission was created to determine the reason.
http://www.roscosmos.ru/22996/

Russian Lad
02-12-2016, 12:21
Four billion rubles wasted. They tried to use Soyuz-U, a seventies version, after the modernized one failed the last time. And it didn't work. Which means it is a systematic failure that would require more billions of rubles for correction. https://lenta.ru/articles/2016/12/02/no_fun/

TheInterocitor
02-12-2016, 16:58
Four billion rubles wasted. They tried to use Soyuz-U, a seventies version, after the modernized one failed the last time. And it didn't work. Which means it is a systematic failure that would require more billions of rubles for correction. https://lenta.ru/articles/2016/12/02/no_fun/

I read that it was a "digital signal disruption".

Now who has been going on and on about being the victim of cyberattacks?

FatAndy
02-12-2016, 18:53
The "source" is "well informed" :)

Russian Lad
04-12-2016, 17:43
The "source" is "well informed"

You are welcome to offer your corrections and guidance, comrade if something is wrong in the article. A fact is a fact, howerever, - there was Progress in Russia and Russia lost it. Why not call the next rocket Future? Imagine the headlines: Bild: Russia has lost its Future, Washington Post: Putin promises to punish those who destroyed Russia's Future, etc.
What is especially funny, I am sure this launch was to coincide with the rockets training in Ukraine and the Russian television was supposed to broadcast shows about the great mission of the peaceful Russian Progress and the militant launches of the evil Ukrainians. Are we sure we have tracked all their launched rockets well, comrade? You must investigate.

Benedikt
25-01-2017, 12:32
https://themoscowtimes.com/news/experts-check-russian-rocket-engines-for-low-quality-metal-56918

no wonder the things are dropping like flies. IF that was the case and if it will be proven it is true.

TheInterocitor
25-01-2017, 13:08
https://themoscowtimes.com/news/experts-check-russian-rocket-engines-for-low-quality-metal-56918

no wonder the things are dropping like flies. IF that was the case and if it will be proven it is true.

That reminds me of the bad caps they were using in "big screen" computer monitors.

I'm talking about the "big screens" they used for computers 3-4 years ago - when 19" or 21" monitor cost $100 -$200 in the store.

Many of them stopped working after a short period of service. It turned out that China and the other Asian countries manufacturing the monitors were using a "new" type of capacitor. Instead of the traditional chemical's and compounds used to make these electrical condensers, that had cheaper, different materials. The problem was that these capacitors would sometimes fail after a month, or a few months. They also used these "new" caps in motherboards.

You could tell by looking at it, if it was a bad cap because it had a "oval" head. A working cap is flat on top; a bad cap has "exploded" inside and the cap has an oval "pushed-up" head. You could also tell if the monitor had a bad cap because you would turn it on and it would go display for a few seconds then go dark - a sign that a capacitor is losing its electrical charge, which takes a few seconds.

So I would buy the non-working monitors for $10, open them up, and half the time discover the monitor had a bad cap. It was easy to repair - a capacitor only costs $1. You can take apart the monitor, de-solder the old bad cap and solder a new one in a couple of minutes, and then re-sell the monitor for $100.

The monitor repairs were easy and this worked for a while. Then they stopped manufacturing the bad caps, and also the prices for monitors fell.

Anyone need a bunch of 17" and 19" monitors? :)

vossy7
26-01-2017, 08:09
Nice to see someone out there who appreciates the importance of the humble capacitor , they helped make lots of pocket money for me as a teenager making amplifiers and fuzz boxes for budding musicians in Dublin many moons ago , whatever you do ....do not get your poles wrong or you will end up covered in yucky electrolyte fluid or worse:dizzy:
On Ben's post I remember a guy selling titanium snow shovels in a market in Serpukhov a few years ago , now I wonder where that may have come from :scared:

JPS
26-01-2017, 08:43
Andy's story remind me of when I was a teenager.

I use to strip down old televisions for fun and keep the components. I had a nice big variable power supply and I use to wire the larger capacitors up to the outputs, stand well back and watch them explode.

Nowadays I'd probably be labelled a terrorist :P

TheInterocitor
26-01-2017, 11:31
Nice to see someone out there who appreciates the importance of the humble capacitor , they helped make lots of pocket money for me as a teenager making amplifiers and fuzz boxes for budding musicians in Dublin many moons ago , whatever you do ....do not get your poles wrong or you will end up covered in yucky electrolyte fluid or worse:dizzy:
On Ben's post I remember a guy selling titanium snow shovels in a market in Serpukhov a few years ago , now I wonder where that may have come from :scared:

You made them? Cool. That's quite a project. Being a keyboardist I did not use a fuzz box, but our guitarist did. They were subject to lot of foot abuse and wore out quickly. We gigged with Frank Zappa one night, and it was the night he had just gotten a wah-wah pedal. He spent most of the rehearsal getting to know it.

Early on, I got the capacitor polarity wrong. I put the caps in, put the monitor back together, turned it on, there was a hissing then a Snap! Snap! But it worked after they were replaced again. :)

TheInterocitor
26-01-2017, 11:40

I use to strip down old televisions for fun and keep the components. I had a nice big variable power supply and I use to wire the larger capacitors up to the outputs, stand well back and watch them explode.

We had a nerd in high school who was a walking bomb factory, he had all sorts of explosive things he made in Chemistry cl**** like Sodium bombs...yes, nowadays the cops or worse would be in your hair.

I spent half a day dismantling a large old TV to get the copper (got a whole $6 for it) then wrapped up the remains, including the big picture tube, in a bedsheet, then tossed it off the second story veranda. Made a satisfying "Whoomf!" when it hit the ground, as the tube exploded (or imploded, I think they were vacuums). :)

JPS
27-01-2017, 14:43
Talking of capacitors, my homebrew strobe circuit doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

)))

Benedikt
27-01-2017, 19:34
[QUOTE=JPS;1459736]Talking of capacitors, my homebrew strobe circuit doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

how can it work? the smarties and jelly babies are missing....

TolkoRaz
27-01-2017, 21:53
Talking of capacitors, my homebrew strobe circuit doesn't seem to be working. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

)))

That's crackers!

bydand
28-01-2017, 12:15

Let them use trampolines!

FatAndy
28-01-2017, 12:21

Well, in my damned totalitarian childhood К50-6 and К50-16 also were exploding effectively and loudly, if AC applied...
http://pretich.ru/st/28/1_k50-6_ussr.jpg

http://tubes-caps.ru/image/cache/data/10030-к50-16-500x500.jpg

Surely. Or Musk's devices :verycool:

We had a nerd in high school who was a walking bomb factory, he had all sorts of explosive things he made in Chemistry cl**** like Sodium bombs...yes, nowadays the cops or worse would be in your hair.

I spent half a day dismantling a large old TV to get the copper (got a whole $6 for it) then wrapped up the remains, including the big picture tube, in a bedsheet, then tossed it off the second story veranda. Made a satisfying "Whoomf!" when it hit the ground, as the tube exploded (or imploded, I think they were vacuums). :)
Benzene nitration was one of the first tasks at organic chemistry course in goo ole MSU (ul. Mendeleeva)...

With older CRTs in the same childhood we just were putting them into narrow metal garbage container and dropping the cast iron weight or just a piece of metal over parabolic curve ;)

FatAndy
28-01-2017, 13:27
http://youtu.be/DP4igkKhZtE
Soyuz-ST from Kuru, Spanish comm satellite as the payload.

Uncle Wally
15-02-2017, 05:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPpKhzN8Jg

Pure evil! Don't those dirty Russians understand they are under sanctions?

vossy7
15-02-2017, 08:31

I replaced our bed with a trampoline ......my wife hit the roof!

FatAndy
22-02-2017, 20:41
The last Soyuz-U missile has gone from Baikonur today, carrying Progress-MS05 cargo spacecraft with 2.5 ton of supplies for ISS. This serial is closed with over 700 launches since 1973 (22 failed).
http://www.roscosmos.ru/23265/

http://youtu.be/PiCxuXVr3ZE

FatAndy
25-05-2017, 15:29
Soyuz-2.1b, military satellite, Plesetsk cosmodrome, today 09:34 MMT

http://m.vk.com/video-133441491_456239371?list=ca4f16573ef5cfaae6&from=wall-133441491_62950

FatAndy
08-06-2017, 10:46
https://www.roscosmos.ru/23633/ - Proton-M, Baikonur, payload is damned imperialistic communication satellite from The Citadel, EchoStar 21.

Uncle Wally
08-06-2017, 13:41
https://www.roscosmos.ru/23633/ - Proton-M, Baikonur, payload is damned imperialistic communication satellite from The Citadel, EchoStar 21.

When will the evil stop?

FatAndy
14-07-2017, 19:33
Soyuz 2.1a, Baikonur, Canopus V-IK distant scanning satellite as the main payload, plus 72 small satellites as additional one (full list here: https://www.roscosmos.ru/23687/ )

http://youtu.be/E0X0KfEnJAk

Allah o akbar...

FatAndy
22-08-2017, 13:14
60 years and 1 day ago, 21st Aug 1957, the first ICBM R-7 was launched from Scientific-Research and Testing Polygon #5 of USSR Ministry of Defense, near Tyuratam village/railway fork of KazSSR, later known as Baikonur cosmodrome. The warhead dummy arrived to Kura polygon at Kamchatka, 5600 km away.

Judge
04-10-2017, 16:18
From the Moscow Times..an interesting read ,

In the lead-up to The Moscow Times’ 25th anniversary, we are republishing a number of exceptional articles from our extensive archive, selected by current or former staff.

This article was first published on Oct. 1, 2007, and has not been redacted in any way.

Fifty years ago, the Soviet Union woke up to the space age with a propaganda blunder.

On Oct. 5, 1957, the main headline on Pravda's front page said the country should prepare for winter. The real news of the day, however, was somewhat clumsily placed at the right margin. Under the headline "Notice from TAS S the state news agency explained in its trademark dull style that the Earth's first artificial satellite, called Sputnik, or "travel companion," had been launched a day earlier.

While the Politburo was unusually silent about the achievement, a steady beep-beep emitted from the orbiting Sputnik was widely picked up by amateur radio operators and sent shockwaves through the world. U.S. media were caught up in a Sputnik frenzy, with The New York Times plastering its Oct. 5 front page with the headline "Soviet Fires Earth Satellite Into Space."

Dubbed the Sputnik Shock, the event heralded the beginning of the space race. The West feared that if Moscow could launch objects into space, it might soon be capable of sending nuclear bombs in their direction as well.

The Kremlin, however, missed a big propaganda opportunity. "We did not expect this reaction at all," Sputnik rocket scientist Boris Chertok told reporters Friday. "Neither we, nor our media first grasped the historical significance of our feat."

Chertok, still spry at 95, worked in a group of engineers headed by Sergei Korolyov, a former gulag prisoner who became Sputnik's remarkable chief designer and is still revered as the visionary who started the space age.

Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev ordered Korolyov to speed up the pace for launching a satellite in the summer of 1957, fearing the United States would launch one first.

The Soviet scientists decided to abandon work on a 1,000-kilogram satellite for the more humble Sputnik, a 58-centimeter-wide alloy sphere weighing just 83.6 kilograms.

"We regarded it as Korolyov's little toy -- a no-brainer," Chertok said, speaking in the Korolyov Museum, located in the engineer's former home near Moscow's Monument to the Conquerors of Space. "We believed this would mainly interest us scientists and our students."

Sputnik's comparatively large dimensions baffled Western scientists at the time. "When we learned about its weight, we thought that a decimal had been mistakenly moved because the Americans were expected to launch an 8-kilogram satellite," said Harro Zimmer, a German space expert who worked in Berlin's Wilhelm-Foerster Observatory at the time.

Zimmer, who has written extensively about space flight, said the Soviet Union built bigger satellites because they also had constructed a much bigger rocket, the R-7 intercontinental ballistic missile. This was actually a consequence of a gap in weapons technology, he said. "They could not construct small warheads like the Americans."

Sputnik weighed just 83.6 kilograms, less than the planned 1,000 kilograms / NASA
The United States' Vanguard satellite program, however, was mired in failures and dubbed Kaputnik after a rocket exploded during a launch in front of television cameras.

Even though it was just a metal ball with a radio and four antennas, Sputnik embarrassed the West. Its 51-kilogram battery made its beep last for 21 days, and the satellite orbited for another 26 days before burning up upon re-entry into the atmosphere.

Chertok said the Soviet media could have really trumpeted the success had it not been so obedient to the authorities. "They expected orders from the party but did not receive any," he said.

Khrushchev did not even bother to attend the launch. In an interview with The New York Times two days later, he acknowledged that after receiving the news by telephone that Sputnik was on course, "we congratulated each other and went off to bed."

More from the archive: Classic MT: Weird Moscow at the Starlite Diner
In fact, it took several days for the official propaganda machine to get going. On Oct. 7, a Monday, Pravda merely ran a report about the cities that Sputnik had flown over. A full four days after the launch, on Oct. 9, the newspaper finally produced a full-sized, front-page report with a huge photo of the satellite.

Having finally grasped the enormous propaganda potential, Khrushchev told his engineers to launch a second satellite in time for the October Revolution holiday on Nov. 7. "We only had one month to make a miracle happen. We could not just send that ball up again," Chertok said.

The scientists managed to launch a much bigger satellite on Nov. 3. Sputnik 2 weighed more than 500 kilograms, was cone-shaped and carried Laika, the mongrel dog lauded as the first animal in space. Although later it was revealed that she died of the extreme heat within hours of liftoff, Laika paved the way for human spaceflight.

The British government protested Laika's treatment as cruel. "The country of Isaac Newton was the only in the world to protest," Chertok said.

Sputnik led the United States to create NASA in October 1958. The Soviets eventually lost their lead in space when the United States sent the first men to the moon in 1969.

The space race triggered by Sputnik laid the foundation for all later successes in space exploration. "Without that tough technological competition, no man would have reached the moon in 1969," Zimmer said.

In contrast, the post-Cold-War world has lacked such a catalyst. "There is much less going on today," Zimmer said. The Russian space industry, he said, has been reduced to providing cheap rocket flights.

The Central Bank is minting a commemorative coin for the Sputnik anniversary on Wednesday. The 31-gram silver coin will have a denominational value of 3 rubles, RIA-Novosti reported.

Among their other achievements, Korolyov's engineers built the first unmanned spacecraft to reach the moon, took the first photographs of the dark side of the moon and sent the first man into space, Yury Gagarin, in April 1961. Korolyov's identity was kept secret by the Soviet leadership and only revealed after he died in 1966. Chertok's identity and involvement in the space program were a state secret for decades.

Chertok, who still works as a consultant twice a week at spacecraft manufacturer Energia, outside Moscow, is proud of the contribution Korolyov's engineers gave to the world through space technology, including satellite phones and GPS navigation systems.

"You don't know it, but many people use our science all the time," he said

FatAndy
04-10-2017, 19:41
In fact, it took several days for the official propaganda machine to get going. On Oct. 7, a Monday, Pravda merely ran a report about the cities that Sputnik had flown over. A full four days after the launch, on Oct. 9, the newspaper finally produced a full-sized, front-page report with a huge photo of the satellite.

In fact, all Soviet radioamateurs knew frequencies, direction and much more 3-4 months in advance, without propaganda machine. :)
http://epizodyspace.ru/bibl/radio/1957/6/radio1957-6.html - the article in June issue of Radio magazine, 1957.

Judge
04-10-2017, 21:46
Laughed/smiled at a few parts, the news agency being dull, Britain complaining, and the word Kaputnik :big-grin:

FatAndy
05-10-2017, 19:02
and the word Kaputnik :big-grin:
Well, the missile carrier, R-7, was 2-step intercontinental, 8000 km range and 3 tons payload.
2 days after Sputnik-1 launch we've tested modified warhead for the carrier at Novaya Zemlya, 2900 kg, 2.9 Mt (initially "only" 1.5 Mt). So Germans were at least partially right.

Judge
07-12-2017, 07:49
Russian space programme close to collapse as latest failure exposes its fragility

Industry experts tell The Independent the breakdown of Russia’s space industry would be ‘bad news for everyone’. ‘At its peak, it was a credible rival – a spur,’ says an ex-Nasa engineer. ‘Without it, there wasn’t a chance in hell that we’d have put a man on the moon’

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-space-programme-collapse-soyuz-2-1b-rocket-cosmodrome-launch-failure-latest-news-a8094856.html

FatAndy
07-12-2017, 20:35
Russian space programme close to collapse as latest failure exposes its fragility

Industry experts tell The Independent the breakdown of Russia’s space industry would be ‘bad news for everyone’. ‘At its peak, it was a credible rival – a spur,’ says an ex-Nasa engineer. ‘Without it, there wasn’t a chance in hell that we’d have put a man on the moon’

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-space-programme-collapse-soyuz-2-1b-rocket-cosmodrome-launch-failure-latest-news-a8094856.html
Expecting massive shoots in the management.

Judge
28-12-2017, 09:25
At least they found out what the problem was early on.:dizzy:

Speaking to Rossiya 24 state TV channel, Rogozin said the failure had been caused by human error. The rocket carrying the satellites had been programmed with the wrong coordinates, he said, saying it had been given bearings for take-off from a different cosmodrome – Baikonur – which Moscow leases from Kazakhstan.

Russian satellite lost after being set to launch from wrong spaceport

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/28/russian-satellite-lost-wrong-spaceport-meteor-m?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_WhatsApp

TheInterocitor
28-12-2017, 14:55
... a steady beep-beep emitted from the orbiting Sputnik was widely picked up by amateur radio operators and sent shockwaves through the world. U.S. media were caught up in a Sputnik frenzy, with The New York Times plastering its Oct. 5 front page with the headline "Soviet Fires Earth Satellite Into Space."

The radio DJ's broadcast it every 10 minutes, interrupting the music. They were incredulous and amused: "Beep...beep...beep...We've got a new moon up there now, folks! The big moon, and now a little one, too! And this one's talking to us....listen...Beep...beep beep..."

The Air Force tried to launch their own Sputnik 2-3 times, with some spectacular launching pad explosions. Finally they gave it to the Army who were successful.

The Moscow Slimes is incapable of writing anything without denigrating Russia, even Russian heritage: "Fifty years ago, the Soviet Union woke up to the space age with a propaganda blunder....".

Judge
06-02-2018, 18:38
The is worth watching,
Either a spectacular lift off and landing, or spectacular fireworks display.
Good luck to them!!!

The rocket stands 230 feet (70 meters) tall and will be the world's most powerful operational rocket, able to lift payloads of up to 119,000 lbs. (57 metric tons) into orbit. For this launch, though, the Falcon Heavy will have a smaller, stranger payload: Musk's car, a red Tesla Roadster.

SpaceX will attempt to land all three of them. Two will set down on land, while the center stage, which will travel further, will land on a floating barge.

https://www.space.com/39604-spacex-falcon-heavy-rocket-test-flight-webcast.html

vossy7
06-02-2018, 20:43
The is worth watching,
Either a spectacular lift off and landing, or spectacular fireworks display.
Good luck to them!!!

https://www.space.com/39604-spacex-falcon-heavy-rocket-test-flight-webcast.html

Very interesting J.....thanks :cool:

Judge
06-02-2018, 20:56
Very interesting J.....thanks :cool:

You're welcome,
another link,

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Lift off delayed, will be soon,
In the mean time , enjoy !!!

https://youtu.be/Tk338VXcb24

FatAndy
07-02-2018, 00:28
They've did it. :cool:

TolkoRaz
07-02-2018, 10:58
Engineers have now been offered a proposal that they could not refuse and have been successfully recruited by the North Koreans! ;)

Judge
07-02-2018, 11:55
That was more than spectacular, sci-fi coming to reality,the way the two rockets landed perfectly in synch,then the car flying off into Space...
To put this into perspective, NASA's new rocket(ready in 2019?) which is bigger than the Falcon Heavy,will cost $1bn every launch,compare that to $90m for Musk's rocket.
I had my doubts about SpaceX, but they really delivered on this one, very well done!!!

TolkoRaz
07-02-2018, 13:15
Non-Photoshopped original Photo of the Century................no fake news here!

vossy7
07-02-2018, 16:06
That was more than spectacular, sci-fi coming to reality,the way the two rockets landed perfectly in synch,then the car flying off into Space...
To put this into perspective, NASA's new rocket(ready in 2019?) which is bigger than the Falcon Heavy,will cost $1bn every launch,compare that to $90m for Musk's rocket.
I had my doubts about SpaceX, but they really delivered on this one, very well done!!!

I'm still amazed with the accuracy.....astonishing ....pity the third booster did not make it .....an expensive lose of fuel!

FatAndy
11-10-2018, 13:11
Soyuz МС-10 launched today to ISS, crashed shortly after launch.
Emergency rescue shooting out system has saved the crew (one our, one US guy) in a capsule, landed safely, established radioconnection, helicopters run there.

https://ria.ru/space/20181011/1530420307.html
https://www.roscosmos.ru/25594/

It's second time when emergency rescue shooting out system worked - first time yet in USSR, 1983, with Soyuz T-10

TolkoRaz
11-10-2018, 15:22
Soyuz МС-10 launched today to ISS, crashed shortly after launch.
Emergency rescue shooting out system has saved the crew (one our, one US guy) in a capsule, landed safely, established radioconnection, helicopters run there.

https://ria.ru/space/20181011/1530420307.html
https://www.roscosmos.ru/25594/

It's second time when emergency rescue shooting out system worked - first time yet in USSR, 1983, with Soyuz T-10

Shame the booster rockets did not work, but Thank God the emergency system and training all worked.

PS. Do you think the Americans can make a blockbuster film about a 90 second journey into space? ;)

FatAndy
11-10-2018, 15:28
Do you think the Americans can make a blockbuster film about a 90 second journey into space? ;)
They can. But both cosmonauts, our and their, will be in шапки-ушанки. Our in grey one, American in rose one. ;)

Uncle Wally
11-10-2018, 22:31
Shame the booster rockets did not work, but Thank God the emergency system and training all worked.

PS. Do you think the Americans can make a blockbuster film about a 90 second journey into space? ;)

90 seconds is the average attention span of most Americans. Shouldn't be a problem.

TolkoRaz
12-10-2018, 02:41
90 seconds is the average attention span of most Americans. Shouldn't be a problem.

I suppose it could be produced as a slow motion film?

nicklcool
14-10-2018, 07:36
On this trip to the ISS a spacewalk was to be done in order to investigate where the mysterious drilled out hole came from (Russia said, get this, we did it on purpose to activate the emergency system sirens to get a free ride back home to earth! NASA for it's part said the hole was not a manufacturing defect but would need to be examined to determine the cause, hence the scheduled Oct/Nov spacewalk). So, the timing of this crash could be suspect (conspiracy theory)--Wally, get on this case right away! :laughing:

FatAndy
15-10-2018, 18:36
Next in row - Soyuz-MS11 under tests at Baikonur (previous schedule was 20th Dec)
https://ria.ru/space/20181015/1530702032.html

FatAndy
18-10-2018, 14:11
Next start, of military purpose, Soyuz 2.1b to launch from Plesetsk 25-26th Oct.
Then, 3th Nov, also Plesetsk, Soyuz with Glonass-M satellite.
Then 7th Nov, Kuru, Soyuz with MetOp-C meteo surveillance satellite.

FatAndy
22-10-2018, 12:54
Next start, of military purpose, Soyuz 2.1b to launch from Plesetsk 25-26th Oct.
Then, 3th Nov, also Plesetsk, Soyuz with Glonass-M satellite.
Then 7th Nov, Kuru, Soyuz with MetOp-C meteo surveillance satellite.

RIA says, 1st civil launch (with Progress cargo spacecraft) is scheduled 18th Nov.