PDA

View Full Version : Need Salad Cream Light!!

jetdriver
07-02-2008, 20:06
Catastrophe struck our little house today when the last Salad Cream bottle ran dry....!!! Is there any one doing a UK run in the foreseeable future that is able to bring some back for us?? The preference would be Extra Light Salad Cream in the large squeezy bottle... but beggars can't be choosers. Any variation will do in a pinch.....

Transparent Theatre
07-02-2008, 21:23
Salad Cream?

I thought that was last seen at the Happy Eater transport caff in Rhyl in 1982??

Have you thought of trying magnolia emulsion paint? Tastes the same and comes in handy 1-gallon tubs.

;)

elis
07-02-2008, 21:46
Found this. Maybe it could help while you wait:
From Organic Recipes, Food, Gardening, Health & Beauty (http://www.greenchronicle.com:)

How to make Cornish salad cream:
There is no doubt that this is the forerunner of what we mainly look upon now as a manufactured product. This is a very nice dressing to try and you can be certain that there are no unpleasant additives in there.

Ingredients

6 teaspoons flour
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon olive-oil
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 pint milk
1/2 pint vinegar

Method

- Mix the flour, pepper, salt and mustard together.
- Add the olive-oil.
- Mix in the sugar.
- Beat the egg into the milk and stir into the other ingredients.
- Add the vinegar to this very slowly.
- Bring to the boil in a saucepan and simmer for a few minutes, stirring all the time.
- Leave to cool and when cold bottle in sterilised containers.

Was unable to locate a recipe for the magnolia emulsion paint.

Penelope
08-02-2008, 11:33
You can also buy it at Stockmann (and any other store routinely selling SaladFix products from Germany). It comes in a squeeze bottle.

jetdriver
08-02-2008, 12:02
I've never seen it in Stockmans.... or any other of the usual suspects... I'll keep my eyes open and try the recipe in the meantime. Still looking for anyone doing a UK run in the meantime though... :D cheers!