PDA

View Full Version : Private Visa

gino
10-03-2004, 12:33
I need to make a visa run in a couple of weeks. I have always gotten my visas in the US, but this time I canít travel back there.

The catch is that I get private visas and not business visas. I have all the proper OVIR forms already issued. My question is if anyone knows if the embassies in Helsinki or Riga (my most likely destinations) will do private visas the same as they do business visas. What about the rates and processing time for such visas? I asked my local OVIR these questions and I got the standard answer that left me more confused than before asking.

By the way Ė are there any new recommendations on Helsinki, Riga, or any other relatively inexpensive and efficient locations?

Thanks

vanross
10-03-2004, 13:41
From what I know there is no difference whether it's a business or a private visa, the consulate will have to process it regardless of where you used to live. I got mine in Simferopol, Ukraine, they will charge you an arm and a leg to have it processed the same day (around $450) or overnight ($400). I had the luxury of some free time and had it done in 1 week for $250. As allways, get your wallet ready and before leaving make sure it is stuffed with green paper, they don't take credit cards, checks or anything except CASH. (US greenbucks, please). They can do it for local currency, but they like greenbucks better.

gino
10-03-2004, 14:20
In the US there is a well-defined structure of fees and processing times. Fees are based on the number of entries of the visa and the number of days you want it in. There is no sliding scale. Single and double entry visas (private visas) have lower fees than multiple entry visas (business). I hoped for the same elsewhere, but donít really count on it. It would just be nice to understand exactly how long it might take and how much it will cost.
I know Ė I canít help it. I have always wanted too much!