PDA

View Full Version : Getting the visa from my old passport to my new one

N.Hoffman
29-09-2014, 10:19
I applied for a new passport several weeks ago and it seems that soon the new passport will be ready. I'm currently in Moscow and I got a workvisa. I wonder how I can get the visa transferred to my new passport.

Does anyone know the address to go to and the fees for this?

xp@
29-09-2014, 14:24
FMS won't transfer your visa to your new passport unless you present them with the old passport that has been 'canceled' by your consulate/embassy. That means a 'canceled' or equivalent stamp on the page of your passport that has your picture, plus holes punched through the entire passport.

Your employer should be able to deal with FMS to process the transfer.

Benedikt
29-09-2014, 14:34
FMS won't transfer your visa to your new passport unless the old passport is 'canceled' by your consulate/embassy. That means a 'canceled' or equivalent stamp on the page of your passport that has your picture, plus holes punched through the entire passport.

Your employer should be able to deal with FMS to process the transfer.

when I was still on the visa -regime-. I got from the consulate my new passport, but they did not cancel the old one. so, every time I went over the border I just showed them the two passports. so the passport stayed a legal document, even that it was out dated. Only when it was time to get a new visa, they did it in my new passport, I went to my Consulate here in Moscow, they put a stamp =cancelled= in my old passport. And I could keep the old passport, to check out all the nice stamps i had in there when I felt like...

Kartoshka
29-09-2014, 20:46
When I had to do this a few months ago, my employer handled it for me.

the old passport that has been 'canceled' by your consulate/embassy. That means a 'canceled' or equivalent stamp on the page of your passport that has your picture, plus holes punched through the entire passport.

That depends how your country's embassy marks cancelled passports. British passports, for example, have the corners cut, rather than holes punched through. This was fine for FMS.

N.Hoffman
29-09-2014, 22:53
Quote: 'FMS won't transfer your visa to your new passport unless you present them with the old passport that has been 'canceled' by your consulate/embassy. That means a 'canceled' or equivalent stamp on the page of your passport that has your picture, plus holes punched through the entire passport.

Your employer should be able to deal with FMS to process the transfer.'

Yes that makes sense, I should have the old passport with me. I was already that far.

The problem is that my employer has no time and means to do this, so I gotta do it myself. Which office should I go to for the transfer?

Or can I really go in and out on the new passport when I have the old one with me. I remember reading a post in here of someone who wasn't allowed to exit at the airport with both the old cancelled passport and the visa and the new passport.