PDA

View Full Version : No more VOIP (internet telephone)?

swampwiz
26-09-2014, 02:20
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/russia-plans-to-partially-ban-skype-again/507730.html

This would be last straw for me. Hello, somewhere else!

Benedikt
26-09-2014, 05:35
This would be last straw for me. Hello, somewhere else![/QUOTE]

but then i also do not have the latest iphone,ipad,iwhatever....

rusmeister
26-09-2014, 07:47
Hmmm. Maybe they're right. After all, before Skype was invented there was no such thing as terrorism or drug mafias.

And those poor phone operators - missing out on billions in revenue fom millions of customers (isn't that thousands from each of us, then?). We are too selfish, and need to give more to those big business owners...

Fantastika
26-09-2014, 10:57
Hmmm. Maybe they're right. After all, before Skype was invented there was no such thing as terrorism or drug mafias.

And those poor phone operators - missing out on billions in revenue fom millions of customers (isn't that thousands from each of us, then?). We are too selfish, and need to give more to those big business owners...

Ha-ha, I don't know if you've ever seen an American land-line phone bill. It's a Kafkaesque nightmare of complexity and confusion. There is a service charge for the phone service, of course, but there are 10-15 other charges - fees and taxes. State taxes, local taxes, sales taxes, and federal taxes from several federal agencies - “Federal Access Charge,” “Customer or Subscriber Line Charge,” “Interstate Access Charge,” etc.

Every bureaucracy from the US Dept. of Agriculture, to the local town council, sees your telephone as a cash cow. It's not Big Business getting wealthy, it's Big Government getting more bloated.

With Skype you escape all these fees and taxes, which can increase an $8 monthly bill up to $40. I don't blame anyone for using it. The bureaucrats are constantly searching for ways to increase regulation and control, and raise taxes. Taxes on cell phone usage are already approaching 25%.

Suuryaa
26-09-2014, 11:48
Ha-ha, I don't know if you've ever seen an American land-line phone bill. It's a Kafkaesque nightmare of complexity and confusion. There is a service charge for the phone service, of course, but there are 10-15 other charges - fees and taxes. State taxes, local taxes, sales taxes, and federal taxes from several federal agencies - “Federal Access Charge,” “Customer or Subscriber Line Charge,” “Interstate Access Charge,” etc.

Every bureaucracy from the US Dept. of Agriculture, to the local town council, sees your telephone as a cash cow. It's not Big Business getting wealthy, it's Big Government getting more bloated.

With Skype you escape all these fees and taxes, which can increase an $8 monthly bill up to $40. I don't blame anyone for using it. The bureaucrats are constantly searching for ways to increase regulation and control, and raise taxes. Taxes on cell phone usage are already approaching 25%.

The less the governments interfere, the better.

FatAndy
26-09-2014, 12:14
Hello, somewhere else!
There it will be banned too.:11215:

Suuryaa
26-09-2014, 12:25

I like your optimism :).

Remington
26-09-2014, 12:26

Use VPN... problem solved. :D

Benedikt
26-09-2014, 12:29
With Skype you escape all these fees and taxes, which can increase an $8 monthly bill up to $40. I don't blame anyone for using it. The bureaucrats are constantly searching for ways to increase regulation and control, and raise taxes. Taxes on cell phone usage are already approaching 25%.[/QUOTE]

maybe because we use skype only with people who are through Internet connected to skype? for anything else we use the landline or mobile, much quicker anyway.... and not bound to a computer.

penka
26-09-2014, 12:58

maybe because we use skype only with people who are through Internet connected to skype? for anything else we use the landline or mobile, much quicker anyway.... and not bound to a computer.[/QUOTE]

Do you call abroad from your mobile?...

Jas
26-09-2014, 13:29
I think it's not serious cos people wud be annoyed if this happens.

[/COLOR]

maybe because we use skype only with people who are through Internet connected to skype? for anything else we use the landline or mobile, much quicker anyway.... and not bound to a computer.

Do you call abroad from your mobile?...[/QUOTE]

I always do. I call uk, pakistan, other places in sweden. No way cud I pay.

FatAndy
26-09-2014, 13:53
I like your optimism :).
Me too. Big telecoms loose money - it's the problem. :D