PDA

View Full Version : Looking to speak to Russian Journalists

philipcjohnson
04-02-2008, 22:37
Hello! I am an American educator who works with numerous study-abroad programs.

I will be in Moscow on February 11-15 and want to meet with and interview journalists or other educators regarding Russian life, politics and Russia's growing influence in Islamic nations, specifically Iran.

Please contace me if you would like to meet and can provide me with some insights. I appreciate any help with my research. Please know your involvement helps American students who are studying abroad understand their world more accurrately.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Phil Johnson
Director of International Education
Founder: Global Encounters

quincy
05-02-2008, 11:05
I hope you meet some Russian journalists and hopefully help your students get a better understanding. On Russia's relations with Islam, unlike the US and the western world Russia has been in direct contact with Islamic communities for centuries. Also, in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus ordinary people show much more curiosity towards other religions (Islam, Bhuddism, Hinduism, Judaism etc) than the public in the US, Canada, Australia, UK, France etc

Penelope
05-02-2008, 11:37
...Also, in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus ordinary people show much more curiosity towards other religions (Islam, Bhuddism, Hinduism, Judaism etc) than the public in the US, Canada, Australia, UK, France etcI have not found this to be true in my more than 10 years here.

Len Ganley Stance
05-02-2008, 12:34
Russia's growing influence in Islamic nations, specifically Iran.

Can you tell me where you get this idea from that Russia has a growing influence in any Islamic nations, or as suggest, specifically Iran?

Who are Global Encounters and what do they do?

quincy
05-02-2008, 15:30
I have not found this to be true in my more than 10 years here.

What have you found instead in your 10 years? To give an example, Russian and Ukrainian women will happily wear Islamic/Central Asian dresses when working in restaurants from those countries. It is almost inconceivable that US-born (and nominally Christian)American women would do such a thing. In the US anyone who does not conform to the 'American dream' will be marginalised

Penelope
05-02-2008, 15:43
How is willingness to wear a uniform showing curiosity? I'm talking about people who want to know what the other religions practice, believe, what they eat, what they do, what's forbidden, etc. And based on my experience here (I was a teacher for three years, in addition to working in the professional business world), I've seen very few Russians who are knowlegable about or interested in any religion.

As to what you think shows curiosity, I've never seen any non-Asian woman working in a Chinese or Japanese restaurant or non-Mexican working in a Mexican restaurant, etc, in America being marginalized.

quincy
05-02-2008, 16:51
what is important to note is that the cultural environment where people are brought up means that they are comfortable dressing in Islamic clothes. How many Americans would do that? The fact that they are comfortable about it means that they could also develop a curiosity towards it. Large numbers of young Russian and Ukrainian women will have a go at the oriental/Islamic bellydancing. The number of young American women who know this dance you can probably count on your fingers. They would be seen as freakish (as well as 'unpatriotic') and yes they would probably be marginalised

Penelope
05-02-2008, 16:56
How long exactly did you live in the US?

philipcjohnson
05-02-2008, 18:37
Can you tell me where you get this idea from that Russia has a growing influence in any Islamic nations, or as suggest, specifically Iran?

Who are Global Encounters and what do they do?

Hi and thanks for your reply to my post. I have read numerous articles regarding Russia's growing involvement in the Arab/Islamic world. Over the last few years, for example, the Institute for Contemporary Affairs reports about Putin's embrace of the Arab world in its support of Egypt's bid for a permanent seat on the UN Security Council, the selling of advanced missiles to Syria and Russia's ivolvement in helping to build Iran's nuclear program.

The Islamic Republic News Agency has also reported growing efforts on President Putin's part to enhance ties between Russia and the Islamic world.

I also have sources inside the Syria government that confirm this growing relationship with private visits and discussions in Damascus and Tehran.

As for Global Encounters, it is an organization that works with student leadership development. We work with high school and college students to help shape their global worldviews through accelerated study-abroad programs to places in Europe and the Middle East.

Thanks again for your interest!

philipcjohnson
05-02-2008, 20:41
I hope you meet some Russian journalists and hopefully help your students get a better understanding. On Russia's relations with Islam, unlike the US and the western world Russia has been in direct contact with Islamic communities for centuries. Also, in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus ordinary people show much more curiosity towards other religions (Islam, Bhuddism, Hinduism, Judaism etc) than the public in the US, Canada, Australia, UK, France etc

Thanks for your reply and insights! I appreciate it. :evilgrin:

sevan
06-02-2008, 09:55
To give an example, Russian and Ukrainian women will happily wear Islamic/Central Asian dresses when working in restaurants from those countries.

Wow. That is one of the best examples of relgious and ethnic tolerance I think I have ever seen. Thank you. This has given me new hope.

sevan
06-02-2008, 09:57
what is important to note is that the cultural environment where people are brought up means that they are comfortable dressing in Islamic clothes. How many Americans would do that? The fact that they are comfortable about it means that they could also develop a curiosity towards it. Large numbers of young Russian and Ukrainian women will have a go at the oriental/Islamic bellydancing. The number of young American women who know this dance you can probably count on your fingers. They would be seen as freakish (as well as 'unpatriotic') and yes they would probably be marginalised

That's because belly dancing is tacky!

Surfsup37
06-02-2008, 10:54
Actually, I knew a number of American women who studied Belly Dancing. Some did it strictly for fun and exercise, and some worked parties, and an Egyptian restaurant.

It is/was very popular for exercise for women bored with aerobics. Not sure how we got on this subject.

Quincy, how much time did you spend in the US and where? Your knowledge of the US seems very limited, and mostly wrong.

Oh, I also knew a polish girl (just over from Poland) who worked at my local Chinese restaurant in the US.

Len Ganley Stance
06-02-2008, 11:25
That's because belly dancing is tacky!

Not if it's done right.

Mind you, I have seen it attempted in Kiev in 1985 along with the 'Dance of a Thousand Veils'. Now obviously Veils were in short supply in Kiev that particular week as it ended up being more like the 'Dance of a Couple of Veils'. That believe me was tacky. Yessssss Sir, that was Tacky.

quincy
06-02-2008, 11:28
Actually, I knew a number of American women who studied Belly Dancing. Some did it strictly for fun and exercise, and some worked parties, and an Egyptian restaurant.
a fringe element...read again what I posted

Quincy, how much time did you spend in the US and where? Your knowledge of the US seems very limited, and mostly wrong.
long enough to observe that anyone who does not subscribe to the national ideology (the American dream) is not particularly welcome. my knowledge is mostly right and you know it

Oh, I also knew a polish girl (just over from Poland) who worked at my local Chinese restaurant in the US.
sorry, irrelevant !

sevan
06-02-2008, 11:52
[QUOTE=quincy;342036]long enough to observe that anyone who does not subscribe to the national ideology (the American dream) is not particularly welcome. my knowledge is mostly right and you know it
[QUOTE]

Quincy, what do you understand as "the American dream"?

quincy
06-02-2008, 12:06
[QUOTE=quincy;342036]long enough to observe that anyone who does not subscribe to the national ideology (the American dream) is not particularly welcome. my knowledge is mostly right and you know it
[QUOTE]

Quincy, what do you understand as "the American dream"?
As an american, you are likely to have a far better definition than anything i can come up with!

Penelope
06-02-2008, 12:10
Ahhhhh, great argument, that. Our knowledge of our own countrymen in challenging your views on their curiosity and willingness to don a uniform don't count, but we apparently do know more about what the American dream is than you.

quincy
06-02-2008, 13:04
Ahhhhh, great argument, that. Our knowledge of our own countrymen in challenging your views on their curiosity and willingness to don a uniform don't count, but we apparently do know more about what the American dream is than you.

when did i say your knowledge doesn't count? if you feel that the American dream is not properly appreciated/understood, why don't you open another thread where you explain everyone what it is?

Penelope
06-02-2008, 13:48
Why don't you tell us how long you lived in the U.S. to garner such amazing insight into American culture? You seem awfully sure of your statements, but are unwilling to back them up with evidence. I have said I have been in Russia for more than 10 years. I was a teacher for three years and have since been working for large international corporations.

quincy
06-02-2008, 15:00
Why don't you tell us how long you lived in the U.S. to garner such amazing insight into American culture? You seem awfully sure of your statements, but are unwilling to back them up with evidence. I have said I have been in Russia for more than 10 years. I was a teacher for three years and have since been working for large international corporations.
This thread is about Russia and Islam. if you think my number of years in the US is a much more fascinating subject then maybe we can discuss that in a new thread. if a Mexican fruit picker spends 25 years in the US staying mostly with fellow Mexicans, is the length of this time in the US significant?When you open your thread, maybe you could hazard a guess ,say,as to how many years an American journalist typically spends in Russia or Chechnya before writing rhapsodic essays about the Chechen insurgency?

Penelope
06-02-2008, 15:04
Excuse me, quincy, who exactly brought up the US in this thread?:
What have you found instead in your 10 years? To give an example, Russian and Ukrainian women will happily wear Islamic/Central Asian dresses when working in restaurants from those countries. It is almost inconceivable that US-born (and nominally Christian)American women would do such a thing. In the US anyone who does not conform to the 'American dream' will be marginalised

sevan
06-02-2008, 15:23
As an american, you are likely to have a far better definition than anything i can come up with!

Quincy, baby, I'm not the one who keeps bringing up the "American Dream" to prove points. If you're going to bring it up you should understand it. Oi?

quincy
06-02-2008, 15:28
Excuse me, quincy, who exactly brought up the US in this thread?:
i started by making a wider comparison of Russia's relationship with Islam covering many other countries not just the US. how about you sharing with us your knowledge in this area?

Penelope
06-02-2008, 15:46
So, basically, you're unwilling to answer anyone's questions to you. You just pose more questions and say that we know you're right. Boring.