PDA

View Full Version : A dirt cheap hoilday.

Sheepy
08-03-2004, 12:32
I would appreciate any info on dirt cheap (emphasis on cheap and not dirty;) ) package holidays worldwide. Can anyone recommend any useful websites of Moscow based tour operators
Thanx.:)

cyclby
08-03-2004, 18:47
Sheepy,
I have a friend with a Zhiguli and he can take you to say...... Balobonova for 500 rubles or probably anyplace else which is in "Zhiguli not breaking down distance".
Regards,
C

Just trying to help! :-)))

vanross
09-03-2004, 08:13
Well, you can try the following:

1) get a Ukrainian visa.
2) buy a train ticket to Simferopol, Crimea, for about $40
3) rent an appartment in Yalta, which is a great vacation spot for about $20-30 per night, maybe for less.
You should be able to have a vacation for about $300 for 1 week. Check any website that has Yalta pics and see if you like it. The good news is that Ukrainian visa is easy to get, no OVIR or registratrion there, they completely abolished the Soviet OVIR system. Yalta has one of the best climates in the world, it's a little like Cote d'Azur in France, as far as climate is concerned.

mail
09-03-2004, 15:05
Have a Russian friend or coworker look in the newpaper. You can go to Turkey for a week for next to nothing plus other options. Stay to the local market listings there are priced for a whole different market then the Expat listers.

Sadie
09-03-2004, 18:16
when i wanna go to the beach I always travel with Columbus Group travel agency. They work with special offers only, and everything is very cheap. Plus I know them for ages. So I would recommend you the agency. Go to www. columbus-group.ru (i think) or search 4 the name. It is very convenient - I mean you can check the offers on line. The only thing i dunno is whether they speak english or you speak russian )). Dirty cheap, trust me ;)

Who said Yalta?? This lousy village??? with ofigitelno khrenovy service??? Brrrr.. NEVER!!

Sheepy
09-03-2004, 21:37
Thanx Sadie
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for:)
Failing that I'll take Mail's advice and take a look at the papers.

Vanross great idea but I'm a bit burnt out on the Russia/Baltics/Ukraine thing at the moment and was hoping to go somewhere completely different for a couple of weeks.

Cyclby...what can I say....I think I'll skip those once-in-a-lifetime Zhiguli tours for now. My insurance doesn't cover adventure holidays I'm afraid (phew) :D Have you ever considered a career in tourism?:p

cyclby
09-03-2004, 21:49
Darlin' nobody has the same definition of fun that I have so I would never get any takers.

I had to poke some fun at ya! Anyway, you need that Zhiguli to meet us at the next shindig as we all want to see your smiling face.
:D :D
Regards,
C

vanross
10-03-2004, 13:54
There is another place I like a lot, which I concider greatly undervalued - Montpellier, France. It does not have crazy Nice- Cote d'Azur prices, very reasonable, you can get a decent hotel for about $40 per night, the sea is close by in Palavas or Sete, a little nicer in Cap d'Agde, which is 40 min by train from Montpellier. Tons of night clubs, bars, museums, by the way Montpellier that's where Nostradamus lived and went to medical school.
The minuses: you better speak some French, although they are not as nasty to English-speaking folks as they are in Paris, a little attitude will be felt, unless you "parles". Very nice off-season. Check Lufthanza, they have a direct flight from Frankfurt to Montpellier once a day, I think Swissair has one also. If you need any help in Montpellier, PM me, I still have a couple of friends over there.

Another option: there used to be charter flights from Moscow to Barcelona, which were very inexpensive. Montpellier is only 2 hours away by train or by car.

trebor
10-03-2004, 14:10
There are a lot of cheap charter flights out of Moscow to a variety of destinations.
I flew Moscow-Malaga (Spain) last year very cheaply, traveled down the coast and took the ferry over to Morocco.
Check around with the travel agents.

Sheepy
10-03-2004, 14:59
Originally posted by cyclby
Darlin' nobody has the same definition of fun that I have so I would never get any takers.

:D :D
Regards,
C

Pray do tell Cyclby...what is YOUR idea of FUN...
:eek: :shame: :shame: :shame:

sfjohns67
10-03-2004, 15:23
Well, you could always come over to my apartment one evening and splash around in the oversized tub with my 9 month old daughter while I sing Led Zeppelin songs to both of you! I'll turn the heat way up, all you have to do is put up with a somewhat overactive infant swinging her rubby ducky to and fro and bouncing and splashing all over the damned place to the beat of "The Ocean." :D

"...that's a real fine place to start..."

cyclby
10-03-2004, 20:11
SFJ,
You ARE Funnier than a sack O' Clown Eyeballs!! Makes me wanna go out and buy "Houses of the Holy!
C

cyclby
10-03-2004, 20:15
Originally posted by Sheepy
Pray do tell Cyclby...what is YOUR idea of FUN...
:eek: :shame: :shame: :shame:

Probably not the same thing that you think I might be thinkin'. I have a reputation to uphold here!

:agree: :agree:
C

trebor
10-03-2004, 20:55
If your looking for a cheap holiday check out this web site:
http://www.korea-dpr.com/
It all looks too familiar and i especialy like the tourist information.
Could be a cool place to spend a few weeks.
Looks like they spent about 500 bucks setting up their "official" web site" mind, that's probably 5% of GDP!