PDA

View Full Version : Collapse of the Russian economy

Russian Lad
09-09-2014, 23:38
The tourist industry seems to lie in tatters, with 10+ leading companies ruined, the car sales are down up to 30% in comparison with the last year for some brands, investments are flowing out of the country in a huge river rapidly becoming an ocean. What Russian industry will be crushed next, your forecast? I think it will be the residential construction sector.

TolkoRaz
09-09-2014, 23:43
The Military Industrial Complex will prosper now that VVP has assumed control!

JanC
09-09-2014, 23:53
Economics are a complicated business, a few sectors got slammed hard but overall there is a huge delay between the paper figures and things getting noticeably worse on the street.

It's not unreasonable to expect that within 6 months or so most of the sanctions will be dropped and the economic "collapse" will largely be avoided.

Of course, stagnation was already an issue before the Ukraine mess started. Russia has a poor business/investment climate in general, and the powers that be don't seem to be as concerned with that as they are with other things. So while I think actual collapse is unlikely, I also don't think Russia is going to have much meaningful growth for a while.

penka
09-09-2014, 23:58
Oh, look, the Doomsday Pythia woke up!

Nobbynumbnuts
10-09-2014, 00:46
Economics are a complicated business, a few sectors got slammed hard but overall there is a huge delay between the paper figures and things getting noticeably worse on the street.

It's not unreasonable to expect that within 6 months or so most of the sanctions will be dropped and the economic "collapse" will largely be avoided.

Of course, stagnation was already an issue before the Ukraine mess started. Russia has a poor business/investment climate in general, and the powers that be don't seem to be as concerned with that as they are with other things. So while I think actual collapse is unlikely, I also don't think Russia is going to have much meaningful growth for a while.

Agreed.
And those imposing the economic sanctions do not want and are not planing economic destruction of Russia. This would be a dangerous scenario with possible military reprecussions and a knock on effect to other economies.

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 01:14
And those imposing the economic sanctions do not want and are not planing economic destruction of Russia. This would be a dangerous scenario with possible military reprecussions and a knock on effect to other economies.

The Soviet economy collapsed, most of us survived...:zoom: I agree that there will not be complete collapse though, like completely empty shelves, it is not needed.:)

Oh, look, the Doomsday Pythia woke up!

The Harbinger Python... Or just call me Master.

Nobbynumbnuts
10-09-2014, 01:27
The Soviet economy collapsed, most of us survived...

Different scenario. The Soviet economy collapsed because it was inefficient and the Russian economy was not part of the world economy.
The Russian people themselves wanted change. That's not the case this time around.

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 01:29
Different scenario. The Soviet economy collapsed because it was inefficient. The Russian people themselves wanted change. That's not the case this time around.

Sure it is different, that's what I said, - it doesn't and will not be the same. You also have to bear in mind that the modern Russians adore consuming, the Soviets didn't have this essential weakness.

Uncle Wally
10-09-2014, 01:34
The tourist industry seems to lie in tatters, with 10+ leading companies ruined, the car sales are down up to 30% in comparison with the last year for some brands, investments are flowing out of the country in a huge river rapidly becoming an ocean. What Russian industry will be crushed next, your forecast? I think it will be the residential construction sector.

And like the rest of the world is so peachy keen.

Nobbynumbnuts
10-09-2014, 01:39
Sure it is different, that's what I said, - it doesn't and will not be the same. You also have to bear in mind that the modern Russians adore consuming, the Soviets didn't have this essential weakness.

The last thing Europe needs is a Russian crisis. My guess is the EU will do all it can to avoid one if and when the time comes.

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 01:42
The last thing Europe needs is a Russian crisis.

Well, but I think Russia and the Russians need it. The society has jumped off a high hill and needs a thorough thrashing, imho. You are not Russian, you don't feel and see all the vibes and undercurrents. Whenever I switch on a mainstream TV channel, it is like opening a Goebbels book.

Nobbynumbnuts
10-09-2014, 01:49
Well, but I think Russia and the Russians need it. The society has jumped off a high hill and needs a thorough thrashing, imho. You are not Russian, you don't feel and see all the vibes and undercurrents. Whenever I switch on a mainstream TV channel, it is like opening a Goebbels book.

The world needs it. I'm no fan of Putin or his expansionist policies but how we can all get rid of him safely is conundrum.

Benedikt
10-09-2014, 06:00
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/murmansk-fish-factory-challenges-russia-s-food-ban/506748.html

hopefully je also will get a judge who will rule by the law books, and is not being cowed by politics. or influenced by greed, graft and bribes. will be interesting to see the outcome.

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 07:12

Everyone will suffer from AIDS, the moon will crash into the earth, God will smite Russia with a dozen asteroids, the sun will not shine over Russia, all the food will be poisoned, the Kremlin will be attacked by dinosaurs...

Cwazy wabbit, what didja expect in the Donb**** a HAPPY ending?

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 07:15
Of course, stagnation was already an issue before the Ukraine mess started. Russia has a poor business/investment climate in general,...

Yeah, stagnation, in Western Europe, has been a problem for 10 years now. I guess we can make a correlation: more bureaucracy = higher taxes = more stagnation. No wonder Scotland wants to say до свидания.

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 07:25
The world needs it. I'm no fan of Putin or his expansionist policies but how we can all get rid of him safely is conundrum.

Oh, great plan!

We got rid of Mubarak in Egypt, and there go the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood, who set about slaughtering Coptic Christians.

We got rid of Hussein in Iraq, and there go the terrorist ISIL, who set about slaughtering Christians, Kurds and other Moslems.

We got rid of Khaddafi in Libya, and here come the no-name-yet Moslem terrorists, who are enjoying the swimming pool at the US Embassy, after killing the US ambassador.

We tried to get rid of Assad in Syria and armed the ISIL terrorists, who are encouraged to keep on killing Moslems, Christians, anyone else who disagrees, until they can get rid of Assad, then they can really clean up.

We got rid of Abbas' rule in Gaza. now there is no one in charge, just missile-hugging terrorists.

What's the next brilliant idea?

vossy7
10-09-2014, 08:16
Hey we've all been through it before , as the much hackneyed saying goes "if you're going to be screwed just lie back and enjoy it" :)

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 09:34
Anyway, your feedback as to what Russian industry will be crushed next?
Fantastika, hasn't it ever occurred to you that the regime change is an almost natural process that happens all the time? Look at the history, such events happened even before the US was discovered. Outside factors always play a role and have a certain influence, but inside factors are always way more important. Look at Cuba - they are still building communism right beside Miami.

bydand
10-09-2014, 10:35
The Military Industrial Complex will prosper now that VVP has assumed control!

Turn plowshares into swords, tractors into tanks! We'll fight for food!:floating:

bydand
10-09-2014, 10:41

There isn't much industry in Russia, but I think the banking sector will be hit next most noticeably. People default on loans, the banks without government support dry up.

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 10:44
tractors into tanks!

Church bells too.:) Europe is asking the US to begin supplying oil and gas to cut short its dependence on the Russian deliveries. http://news.mail.ru/politics/19475082/?frommail=1

:Loco::floating::10293:

Armoured
10-09-2014, 11:14

While I'm not predicting or expecting a collapse, I am hardpressed to identify any part of the Russian economy that is doing particularly well. Talks with others confirm this, it is just general and lack of investment as everyone is concerned. Only liars are saying that things are good.

Fantastika, hasn't it ever occurred to you that the regime change is an almost natural process that happens all the time?

I think it's unfortunate that 'regime change' is the new terminology. How about just plain democracy, with real choice and where governments change reasonably frequently? Where it's just plain part of the operating system?

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 11:41
I think it's unfortunate that 'regime change' is the new terminology. How about just plain democracy, with real choice and where governments change reasonably frequently? Where it's just plain part of the operating system?

I am not the Russian Emperor, so I don't have a ready answer for this one.:)

Nobbynumbnuts
10-09-2014, 12:14
Oh, great plan!

We got rid of Mubarak in Egypt, and there go the terrorist Muslim Brotherhood, who set about slaughtering Coptic Christians.

We got rid of Hussein in Iraq, and there go the terrorist ISIL, who set about slaughtering Christians, Kurds and other Moslems.

We got rid of Khaddafi in Libya, and here come the no-name-yet Moslem terrorists, who are enjoying the swimming pool at the US Embassy, after killing the US ambassador.

We tried to get rid of Assad in Syria and armed the ISIL terrorists, who are encouraged to keep on killing Moslems, Christians, anyone else who disagrees, until they can get rid of Assad, then they can really clean up.

We got rid of Abbas' rule in Gaza. now there is no one in charge, just missile-hugging terrorists.

What's the next brilliant idea?

Putin is dangerous, we can see that. He threatens peace in Europe. Military action to get rid of him would be wrong and stupid.
But war is a possibility so why shouldn't European nations work peacefully to bring about his downfall?

Suuryaa
10-09-2014, 12:16
Putin is dangerous, we can see that. He threatens peace in Europe. Military action to get rid of him would be wrong and stupid.
But war is a possibility so why shouldn't European nations work peacefully to bring about his downfall?

They are too weak.

Anni
10-09-2014, 12:30

so bad this is happening,..the dollar is very high. When Russia can recover?

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 12:31
They are too weak.

The combined GDP of the US, the EU and Japan alone is 17 (seventeen) times (1700%) bigger than the Russian GDP. GDP of Japan alone is 2.5 times bigger than that of Russia. And that is, even if we don't take into account Canada and Australia. Did you go to school at all?:)

When Russia can recover?

When Russia stops invading its neighbors? That's my wild guess.

Anni
10-09-2014, 12:34
so bad this is happening, we really feel this falldown of rubols

Suuryaa
10-09-2014, 12:41
Did you go to school at all?:)

I wonder what it is called when a person is prone to making derogatory remarks about his interlocutors?

I meant "weak" not about economics, but about having a strong enough character/personality to be able to deal with him.

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 12:42
I meant "weak" not about economics, but about having a strong enough character/personality to be able to deal with him.

They are doing everything that is required. Gradual suffocation - the perfect recipe, imho. What would you do? You have to bear in mind that they don't want to really harm themselves a lot in the process and to somehow trigger WW-III. Abrupt moves are not prescribed in the age of nukes.

Nobbynumbnuts
10-09-2014, 12:44
They are too weak.

Often when talking to Russians on this subject it comes down to strength. One of the main reason why Putin is so popular in Russia.
As a side note I think it'd be a pretty good fight. NATO vs Russia but the comparison is stupid. There can be no winners.
Russia is one of the most corrupt countries in the world (ranked 156 I believe) the government is rotten to the core. Instead of talking about strength wouldn't it better to be able to talk about just societies, healthcare, justice, education, tolerance?
An improvement in these areas would make Russia truly strong.

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 12:59
They are too weak.

The combined GDP of the US, the EU and Japan alone is 17 (seventeen) times (1700%) bigger than the Russian GDP

Morally weak, not financially weak.

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 13:03
Did you go to school at all? :)

I wonder what it is called when a person is prone to making derogatory remarks about his interlocutors?

It's impossible for Russki-Lad to make a contrary statement without also adding in a condescending personal insult.

He'd make a great diplomat. NOT.

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 13:09
Morally weak, not financially weak.

It was not a personal insult, it was a genuine question stemming from an immense surprise.
Can you please describe in detail what makes the Russians way more superior over the Europeans, the Americans, the Brits, the Canadians, the Australians and the Japanese in the moral aspect? I cannot find a single explanation for this statement except for the words like chauvinism and xenophobia.

vossy7
10-09-2014, 13:43
All I know is that our mattress is getting fatter with that Ruble filling.....not going to risk any more conversion......just pray for that big rainy day :AngelPray:

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 13:43
Putin is dangerous, we can see that.

"we"?

Is Putin bombing the Middle East? Libya? Syria? Iraq? Who is dangerous? Barack Obama, bombing Iraq and Syria, and saying he needs no one's permission, he can bomb any country he likes without Congressional approval, without America's approval, without the world's approval? What is he, a US president or the New World Order's first dictator?

He threatens peace in Europe.

NATO threatens peace in Europe - stationing troops on Russia's border in Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Lithuania, aiding Ukraine, arming Georgia, having a war summit in Wales, playing war games in the Black Sea, backing the West's real economic warfare with military threats.

...why shouldn't European nations work peacefully to bring about his downfall?

This is hopeless conversation. You did see what happens when the US supports, peacefully (Egypt), or not peacefully, regime change? Even when it's "peaceful" such as in Egypt, the new "peaceful" dictator (Morsi) gave in to persecuting his enemies, such as Coptic Christians. Morsi was about to introduce his friends, Mr. Chaos and Mr. Genocide, to the world.

I gave you 5 examples. The simile or the comparison is not obvious? If Putin is deposed, NATO and the West will continue their goose-stepping march to the East, with their policy of dismantling what remains of Russia. Chechnya, Dagestan, other republics will become Moslem theocracies or terrorist-supporting states.

Instead of a unified Russian bulwark against the Caliphate, you will now have to deal with chaos across 1/6 of the world and several more possible sources of terror. Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria may be joined by Chechnya, Dagestan, Ingushetia, Ossetia, Abkhazia, Yoshkar-Ola, etc.

Even Ukraine serves as an example - when the West sponsored the breaking off of that piece of the Russian Glacier, too bad they miscalculated. It fell into the ocean and broke into more pieces - Crimea, Donbass and rump Ukraine.

That Ukraine regime change really worked out well, too, didn't it?

Putin is bad? Wait'll you see his successor.

JanC
10-09-2014, 13:51
Yeah, stagnation, in Western Europe, has been a problem for 10 years now. I guess we can make a correlation: more bureaucracy = higher taxes = more stagnation.

Western Europe is stagnating at a much higher level (GDP per capita) than Russia, though.

And 2004-2007 were pretty good years, solid growth. Russia's been a bureaucratic nightmare for ages, that didn't stop them posting huge growth numbers in good times. Corruption, unreliable rule of law and perceived risk of investment (from the foreign perspective) are much bigger brakes on the economy.

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 14:07
It was not a personal insult, it was a genuine question stemming from an immense surprise.

You seem to have "genuine question stemming from an immense surprise" about 50 times a day. You must be the most "surprised" person in Russia.
Guess you just can't help it.

Can you please describe in detail what makes the Russians way more superior over the Europeans, the Americans, the Brits, the Canadians, the Australians and the Japanese in the moral aspect?

We already had this conversation with the Great One (Rusmeister), and you got a 0% on the final exam, since you turned in a blank answer sheet.

I cannot find a single explanation for this statement except for the words like chauvinism and xenophobia.

Why don't you throw in sexism, racism and homophobia, too?

The US and the West are not "morally weak"? The number of examples of cultural rot, of decadence is mind-boggling:

We have conquered racism by institutionalizing racism. We have conquered sexism with institutionalized bigotry. We have sanctified homosexuality and destroyed the traditional family (whoops, there goes THAT pillar holding up the foundation of civilization). We are legalizing marijuana, encouraging gambling, demanding confiscatory taxes to indoctrinate the young in palaces of educratic propaganda, and prescribing psychotropic drugs to 6-year-old children. A country that honors violent football players, Hollywood hip-hop rap hatemongers and doesn't know the difference between "social justice" and "criminality".

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 14:13
The US and the West are not "morally weak"? The number of examples of cultural rot, of decadence is mind-boggling:

We have conquered racism by institutionalizing racism. We have conquered sexism with institutionalized bigotry. We have sanctified homosexuality and destroyed the traditional family (whoops, there goes THAT pillar holding up the foundation of civilization). We are legalizing marijuana, encouraging gambling, demanding confiscatory taxes to indoctrinate the young in palaces of educratic propaganda, and prescribing psychotropic drugs to 6-year-old children. A country that honors violent football players, Hollywood hip-hop rap hatemongers and doesn't know the difference between "social justice" and "criminality".

So, why are you still in the US? Let me buy you a ticket to Magadan or Vorkuta. You can buy me a ticket to Thailand or to Panama.

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 14:33
Western Europe is stagnating at a much higher level (GDP per capita) than Russia, though.

And 2004-2007 were pretty good years, solid growth. Russia's been a bureaucratic nightmare for ages, that didn't stop them posting huge growth numbers in good times. Corruption, unreliable rule of law and perceived risk of investment (from the foreign perspective) are much bigger brakes on the economy.

I don't understand how average salary in Russia can go from $2000/year about 10 years ago, to $10,000/year today. It must be a change in measuring standards.

And Europe is doing no less than US:

In March 2013, the U.S. government invented a new way of calculating GDP. The Financial Times reported that starting from July 2013, U.S. GDP would become 3% bigger due to a change in statistics.

That would make Jan-March figure of US GDP at -5%, and Apr-June, +1%.

I think the GDP per capita is stagnant because of the huge increase in people who do not work - retirees and welfare recipients. In the US, since 2008, the number of people on food stamps has gone from 30 million to 50 million. Unemployment benefits extend to 99 weeks. Obama is importing "children" across the Mexican border, loading them into buses (any reporter who dares to get into this is charged with "national security" breach) and offloading them at towns in red states, where the local taxpayers have to pay for their food, housing, medical care (they bring diseases with them) and education. Yes, there is a 35-year old-man covered with gang tattoos in high school, because the new laws make it a crime to ask an illegal immigrant how old he is.

When you add in all the millions of illegals, who are not counted in GDP calculations, and Obama's fiddling of the GDP and Unemployment calculators (anyone who has given up looking for job is not counted as "unemployed - otherwise unemployment would be 12%, not 6%), maybe Europe is doing better than US.

Armoured
10-09-2014, 14:36
I guess we can make a correlation: more bureaucracy = higher taxes = more stagnation.

Do you really think Russia has less bureaucracy? I think the only part of this that is remotely complicated in Russia is that instead of higher taxes on personal income, oil tax income substitutes. So instead of taking money from your pocket, they're taking your share of stuff in the ground and spending it on your behalf.

To take government spending as % of GDP (which long-run is basically the same as taxes, which I'm doing explicitly to avoid various data issues with defining taxes in cross-country comparisons):
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.CON.GOVT.ZS

Map form:
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.CON.GOVT.ZS/countries?display=map

In short, Russia - at about 19% of GDP, is right there with most of Europe, same as Germany, lower than the Nordics, higher than the US, slightly lower than the UK, etc.

Draw your own conclusions, but I'd say the relationship you're describing above is not so simple.

No wonder Scotland wants to say до свидания.

I must have missed something - did Scotland apply to join the Eurasian Union or the CIS? Did it ask to leave the EU? To leave 'the West'?

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 14:52
So, why are you still in the US? Let me buy you a ticket to Magadan or Vorkuta. You can buy me a ticket to Thailand or to Panama.

Why are you still in Russia?

:snow: Magadan, :snow: that's like the world's coldest city? :snow:

I have a great EBay business here. I spend less than 5 minutes dealing with the Post Office every day. Drive or walk there, drop off my packages, come back.

I think in Russia I would be spending 1-2 hours at the Post Office, unless they do pickups now? And here I can get super bargains at auctions - a gold watch for $5, sell for $100, an old Bible for $1, sell for $200. In Russia, I could buy old stuff like that? Would be more competitive, Russians are pretty savvy. And they don't have auctions.

I got a lot of bargains on my last trip to Lugansk, but customs seized some of my loot. Better to sell from Ukraine? Selling from within Ukr. or Russia would be easy. But Post Office is corrupt in Ukraine.

Then there's that thing about the visa...

And when I finish my book, if I was in Russia, it'd be difficult for US sales-fulfillment...except for Kindle version...

Have to ruminate about this...

Russian Lad
10-09-2014, 14:59
Why are you still in Russia?

It is not so easy to go to any civilized Western country from here, to live there, I mean. It is much easier for you to come and live in Russia than for me to come and live in the US.

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 15:09
To take government spending as % of GDP (which long-run is basically the same as taxes, which I'm doing explicitly to avoid various data issues with defining taxes in cross-country comparisons):
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.CON.GOVT.ZS

World Bank as a source? Hahaha! :)

In short, Russia - at about 19% of GDP, is right there with most of Europe, same as Germany, lower than the Nordics, higher than the US, slightly lower than the UK, etc.

Uh, actually, Government spending in the US gobbles up 36% of the GDP, not 17%. If you add in all the dollars Obama is printing to cover the deficit, the figure goes up to 40%. And we are not counting state or local spending.

World Bank as a source? Ha ha ha! :)

The World Bank doesn't have an agenda, does it? It couldn't possibly have an ulterior motive, they are similar to Red Cross?

No wonder Scotland wants to say до свидания.
I must have missed something - did Scotland apply to join the Eurasian Union or the CIS? Did it ask to leave the EU? To leave 'the West'?

You didn't miss anything, you added something. I said Scotland might want to say "good-bye" to England, and become independent country. I didn't say they would then apply for membership in the Georgia-Chechnyan mafia, Greenland or Mars. Republic of Scotland would be a new, rich, independent land, happily counting their oil money all the way to the bank, and separating themselves from the cultural rot spreading up from London.

Suuryaa
10-09-2014, 15:12
Instead of talking about strength wouldn't it better to be able to talk about just societies, healthcare, justice, education, tolerance?

Yes. I guess in Heaven they have all this. As for our earthly existence, where, in what country are these good things implemented? I really would like to know. Or maybe such a state existed in the past, it would be interesting to see how it functioned.

AstarD
10-09-2014, 15:17
But Post Office is corrupt in Ukraine. Oh yeah, so much more so than Pochta Rossia.:rofl:

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 15:36
It is not so easy to go to any civilized Western country from here, to live there, I mean. It is much easier for you to come and live in Russia than for me to come and live in the US.

You are right. I can just pay someone in Russia to renew visa. You could probably do that in US, too, but for 100x more money. You may not need money - I noticed at immigration office in Arlington, Virginia, the black immigrants have no problems, the Asians and whites have many problems (the clerks are all black Americans). So just pretend you are African-Russian.

You do know situation at southern US border? There's is very little press coverage, because reporters are arrested there by Dept. of Homeland Security. Latino parents are dropping their children off at the border. The US picks them up and distributes them across the country, letting towns and cities pick up the expense of their support. Along with these "children" (up to 35-years-old) swimming across the Rio Grande, are 1000's of Africans, Chinese, etc. So you can just blend in with the crowd.

So 2 quick ways to come and stay in US - 1) sneak across southern border; 2) Get a tourist visa, and after your plane lands at JFK, when you go through customs, claim asylum, based on a "well-founded fear of persecution" if you are forced to return to Russia (based on what you're writing on this forum, you probably really do have a well-founded fear of persecution :0 ). Anyway, customs officials will give you a pat on the back and assign a court date 1-2 years in the future. You're free to go, to leave the airport and go anywhere you like. Don't go to Kansas, there are too many Progressives here already. Kansas is closed. See the fence?

Tell everyone you are printing and distributing an anti-Putin newsletter, that's why you are afraid to return to Russia. You might even get a cash grant from the US Agency for International Development.

Or, don't bother to claim asylum, just leave the airport on your tourist visa, go to Little Odessa and don't fly back. If the cops stop you, they are not allowed to ask you about your immigration status, so you don't have to worry about it. If somehow you get caught, they will give you a court date, for a year later.

In either case, for legal asylum or illegal status, just don't bother to show up for your court date. 99% of the people with court dates to settle their status don't appear in court. The system is a joke.

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 15:40
Oh yeah, so much more so than Pochta Rossia.:rofl:

Where do you get that from?

I know this is just anecdotal, but I sell a lot (well, 10-20 items) of stuff, in my Ebay business, to Russia, never a single thing to Ukraine. I've never had a problem with any delivery, in the past 2 years, to Russia.They have tracking now.

But I did have problem with Cyprus, Slovenia, and Italy with "disappearing" packages. And when I was in Ukraine, I sent myself a package to be delivered in US. It arrived with hole in the box.

TolkoRaz
10-09-2014, 15:48
. And when I was in Ukraine, I sent myself a package to be delivered in US. It arrived with hole in the box.

Had it been hit by a UKR missile?

FatAndy
10-09-2014, 15:54
:snow: Magadan, :snow: that's like the world's coldest city? :snow:
No. Yakutsk, Oymyakon - yes.

AstarD
10-09-2014, 16:03
Where do you get that from?

I know this is just anecdotal, but I sell a lot (well, 10-20 items) of stuff, in my Ebay business, to Russia, never a single thing to Ukraine. I've never had a problem with any delivery, in the past 2 years, to Russia.They have tracking now.

But I did have problem with Cyprus, Slovenia, and Italy with "disappearing" packages. And when I was in Ukraine, I sent myself a package to be delivered in US. It arrived with hole in the box.
I get that from personal experience with packages mailed to and from Russia. From is generally OK. To? It's toss of the dice whether you'll get it.

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 16:38
I get that from personal experience with packages mailed to and from Russia. From is generally OK. To? It's toss of the dice whether you'll get it.

From is where I had a problem. I mailed my IRS returns from Russia (several years ago), documents never arrived, and I had to pay IRS penalty for "not filing." Or maybe IRS refused to accept envelope from Russia?

I heard Russia now has tracking, similar to US tracking, on packages. I am really happy with US tracking. Customers who file complaints of "package never arrived at my house" have dropped to zero. :) Everything gets a lot more German (orderly)!

I don't know if Russian tracking covers incoming, or outgoing, or just packages with domestic origin and destination.

What I thought was a problem was the condition of the mailboxes in the typical apartment building. They are hacked, bent, gouged, hammered, kicked by drunks, doors missing, etc. So if the postman leaves a paper notice for you to go to the PO to get your package, that little piece of paper may be blown away by the wind, stepped on, disappear in the bent grills, get yellow-marked by a homeless hound...

Fantastika
10-09-2014, 16:39
Had it been hit by a UKR missile?

Znatchkee make good shrapnel!

Uncle Wally
10-09-2014, 17:12

????????

Unbelievable that you could be so out of touch with what is really going on. Open your eyes.

VicY
10-09-2014, 19:41
Yes. I guess in Heaven they have all this. As for our earthly existence, where, in what country are these good things implemented? I really would like to know. Or maybe such a state existed in the past, it would be interesting to see how it functioned.

Lol, I was about to ask the same question, Suuryaa ;)

Uncle Wally
10-09-2014, 22:03
The war in eastern Ukraine continues to rage on, despite efforts by separatist and national forces to reach a cease-fire. But even if the warring sides reach a long-term truce, the government in Kiev is simultaneously fighting another, perhaps equally important battle: the economy. Unfortunately, President Petro Poroshenko is shooting himself in the foot.

Ukraine's government is in the middle of implementing a set of stringent economic reforms agreed to in April with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in exchange for a $17 billion bailout. Although Kiev has been commended by the IMF for a "bold economic program," the loan's terms, combined with Ukraine's political and economic crisis, are a recipe for disaster.

We have seen this story before. During the 1990s, when I worked at the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) in the office charged with managing economic reform projects in the former Soviet Union, I observed that the type of austerity now being required of Ukraine was the standard prescription for countries in economic crisis. The leading Washington financial institutions, such as the IMF, World Bank, and U.S. Treasury Department, were passing out this one-size-fits-all solution. And it almost never worked.

Russia was the classic case. In the midst of the political shock caused by the breakup of the Soviet Union, neoliberal reformers supported by the West instituted a policy of so-called "shock therapy" involving an end to price controls and large cuts in government spending and subsidies. The result was a plunge in Russia's GDP and inflation rates averaging 20 percent per month. As the poverty rate climbed to a full 55 percent of the population, there was a widespread political backlash against austerity led by Russian Vice President Alexander Rutskoy, who termed the reforms "genocide" and led a failed attempt to overthrow President Boris Yeltsin in 1993.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/09/10/ukraine_cant_afford_the_imfs_shock_therapy

Nobbynumbnuts
10-09-2014, 22:20
????????

Unbelievable that you could be so out of touch with what is really going on. Open your eyes.

Give me a toke of your pipe and maybe i'll see things your way! :p

Nobbynumbnuts
10-09-2014, 22:31
.....Scotland might want to say "good-bye" to England, and become independent country.......

Keeping the pound and the queen as head of state. Some independence! :p

Uncle Wally
10-09-2014, 22:56
Give me a toke of your pipe and maybe i'll see things your way! :p

What's been going on, been just a,

Aretha Franklin - Chain Of Fools (Lyrics) - YouTube

Fantastika
11-09-2014, 20:51
From my spam box today:

Russia's Hot!
The Rise of Russia

On the value side, Norway, Hong Kong, China, Singapore, and Japan are worth a look.

And despite my disdain for Mr. Putin and all the corruption and political meddling in the Russian economy, the Russia ETF (NYSE: RSX) is dirt-cheap, trading at only 4.9 times earnings.

Russia finally joined the World Trade Organization (WTO) last year. The World Bank optimistically estimates that this could boost its growth rate by up to 3% per year. In addition, previously protected industries may get moving through a dose of badly needed international competition.

Second, as a Pacific Rim nation, Russia is stepping up its trade and investment outreach to countries such as China, South Korea, and Japan. In fact, over the past five years, bilateral trade with Japan has already doubled, and trade with South Korea has tripled. Russia’s trade with China is now 60% higher than with Germany. These trends will accelerate as the Pacific century unfolds.

In addition to an ample supply of energy resources, Russia has geography in its corner. It takes only two to four days to get raw materials from Russia’s Asian frontier to China, compared to weeks for many of its competitors.

Finally, despite the bad headlines, the Russian economy is chugging along pretty well.

So don’t be lulled to sleep by the myth that all markets move in tandem. Be alert for the country opportunities showing great value or momentum.

Until next time,

Carl Delfeld for Wealth Daily

Armoured
11-09-2014, 21:47
From my spam box today:

[COLOR="Green"]Russia's Hot!
The Rise of Russia
And despite my disdain for Mr. Putin and all the corruption and political meddling in the Russian economy, the Russia ETF (NYSE: RSX) is dirt-cheap, trading at only 4.9 times earnings.

What's the old line, free advice is worth what you pay for it?

Might even be overpriced...

Nobbynumbnuts
11-09-2014, 22:08

Governments in Europe work hard in this area, if they don't they get voted out. That doesn't mean they are perfect of course but i cannot think of another country in Europe where the electorate is motivated by a macho President and the will to have a large and powerful military.