PDA

View Full Version : AMEX CC not working in many places

abhilife2001
08-09-2014, 14:17
Hi,

Have seen AMEX CC not working in many many shops and smaller hotels ( even when AMEX is displayed in the sticker) but works properly in the bigger hotels ?

Any specific reason or just that they don't use it ?

Was able to withdraw cash from Amex CC from 1 ATM but seems to be quite tough ?

Any experience?

AstarD
08-09-2014, 14:25
For as long as I can remember, many places in Moscow have refused to take American Express cards. It costs them more to take Amex than Visa or Mastercard.

abhilife2001
08-09-2014, 15:40
For as long as I can remember, many places in Moscow have refused to take American Express cards. It costs them more to take Amex than Visa or Mastercard.

Thats in many many places across the world.. as Amex charges around 3-4 % commission compared to 1.5 - 2.5% for MC and Visa..

But these folks have tried using the same in their machines and its been declined..

AstarD
08-09-2014, 15:55
Perhaps their counterparty banks are among the banks under the sanctions?

Benedikt
08-09-2014, 16:47
But these folks have tried using the same in their machines and its been declined..[/QUOTE]

it is Sberbank, CITI bank, Raiffeisen or VTB? check it and then find out from the bank concerned what their problem is or might be,as simple as that...

FatAndy
08-09-2014, 16:49
Perhaps their counterparty banks are among the banks under the sanctions?
No, just Amex is not popular here, for years, they're too greedy. Worth to use Visa or MC.

abhilife2001
08-09-2014, 17:45
No, just Amex is not popular here, for years, they're too greedy. Worth to use Visa or MC.

Agree with this.. though the sanctions against the banks should impact MC and Visa too considering they are also routed through US ( atleast for me who has a Fcy Amex, Visa and MC)..

FatAndy
08-09-2014, 18:14
I use both MC and Visa, but not of those affected banks. No problems.

abhilife2001
08-09-2014, 18:24
I use both MC and Visa, but not of those affected banks. No problems.

All my cards are from foreign banks issued outside Russia.. but still I faced this issue..
Maybe something to do with the PoS terminal bank..

FatAndy
08-09-2014, 19:49
All my cards are from foreign banks issued outside Russia.. but still I faced this issue..
It seems to me you've forgot to notify your bank(s) that you'll use your card(s) in Russia. Some banks restrict geo regions of usage.

In this connection I like phlegmy of Sber - when I withdraw cash in HK or mainland China from their card, they send in the SMS after withdrawal - "potentially dangerous region" :)

penka
08-09-2014, 20:44
Maybe something to do with the PoS terminal bank..

You should notify your bank(s) you are going to be abroad, whilst using the cards. Ask them, if they charge for the ATM withdrawals and ask what your spending limit (week/month) will be. Withdrawing cash at Sber should not be a problem. At all.

AmEx is not much liked in Russia and at some places in Europe as well, as Andy said. Nothing personal or sinister.

abhilife2001
08-09-2014, 23:06
You should notify your bank(s) you are going to be abroad, whilst using the cards. Ask them, if they charge for the ATM withdrawals and ask what your spending limit (week/month) will be. Withdrawing cash at Sber should not be a problem. At all.

AmEx is not much liked in Russia and at some places in Europe as well, as Andy said. Nothing personal or sinister.

Believe this maybe the problem.. will check and inform them.

sar8
14-09-2014, 09:49
Yes, choose a bank you in Russia you will use
and do everything through this bank.
Sberbank is a good option IMHO

abhilife2001
15-09-2014, 10:12
Yes, choose a bank you in Russia you will use
and do everything through this bank.
Sberbank is a good option IMHO

Thanks for the reply..
Question was on Credit cards issued in other countries being refused in Point of Sales machines in many shops/ restaurants..
I will be informing my cc issuing bank to ensure transactions originating in Russia are cleared..