PDA

View Full Version : Moscow transport pass

abhilife2001
03-09-2014, 14:19
Just to reconfirm my understanding..

If I buy a standard 60 ride pass it costs 1300 Rub and valid for 90 days.. so for a trip which includes a tram and metro journey it uses up 2 rides ..

And If I buy another variant of the 60 activation p**** it costs around Rub 1800 with unlimited transfers & tram/bus within 90 minutes ? So for a trip which includes a tram and metro journey it uses up 1 activation if both ride is within 90 minutes of the 1st activation ?

Right ?

FatAndy
03-09-2014, 15:04
If I buy a standard 60 ride pass it costs 1300 Rub and valid for 90 days.. so for a trip which includes a tram and metro journey it uses up 2 rides ..
Yes, it is more suitable for ppl who have one type of transport from home to job.

And If I buy another variant of the 60 activation p**** it costs around Rub 1800 with unlimited transfers & tram/bus within 90 minutes ? So for a trip which includes a tram and metro journey it uses up 1 activation if both ride is within 90 minutes of the 1st activation ?

Yes, metro, bus, tram, trolleybus AFAIR. It is intended for ppl who use different types of transport (bus+metro+tram, for example, or bus-metro-bus-tram) to go to job and back home. There may be only one metro trip per 90 min period though. http://mosmetro.ru/payment/season_ticket/ticket/

You may also buy full unlimited smart cards:
http://mosmetro.ru/payment/tariff/

abhilife2001
03-09-2014, 18:25
Thanks for the prompt reply..

Kartoshka
03-09-2014, 20:08
There are lots of options for public transport tickets, with variants to suit every type of passenger.

You can pay-per-ride, or buy a ticket for unlimited rides within a certain amount of time. There are tickets for certain numbers of rides within certain time limits (eg. as you say, 60 rides within 90 days). There are tickets for all 4 types of transport, just bus/tram/trolleybus, or for several journeys on different types of transport within 90 minutes (although only one metro journey per 90 mins).

Your understanding of the standard единый blue p**** and the 90-minute green p**** is correct. You can also buy these passes for a smaller number of rides (5, 11, 20, 40), which works out as slightly more expensive per ride.

Beltliner403
06-09-2014, 20:43
My call was just to keep it simple and buy a 90-day Troika card. All-you-can-eat use of the Metro, trams, busses, and trolleybusses for 5500 rubles, plus 50 rubles for the card. There's a 365-day Troika that works on the same principle, but I didn't *quite* feel up to dropping 18,000-plus on transit all at once.

Kartoshka
07-09-2014, 00:19
You can top up the Troika card once the 90 days have finished, which is why it costs 50 roubles. All the other types of pass are just thrown away after they expire.

taxiecabbie
28-09-2014, 11:54
I give a hearty second recommendation to the unlimited 90-day Troika pass. I'm one of those unfortunates who has to take the Metro AND a bus to get to my normal place of employment. I considered the pass where you pay-per-ride and also get the free transfer, but as FatAndy points out, the fact that you can only use the card once on the Metro every 90 minutes wasn't going to work. Yes, it's good for getting to and from work, but not very convenient if just popping over two stops to pick up groceries or whatever.

The 90 day card also works out to be roughy 1800 a month, which is basically the same price as the 1800 monthly card with transfers... the main difference being that you have to lay out the 5500 (5600 since you also have to pay for the Troika card itself) at once. I also like the Troika card better than the other cards, as it is made out of firm plastic and won't bend. My first pass in Moscow was the единый p**** and I managed to bend it after the third day because I'm an epic klutz. Still worked fine, but the Troika is much more durable.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the 'suck it up, buy the Troika, and then don't worry about it for three months' approach. The additional bonus is that since it's literally unlimited during the timeframe, I don't have to keep an eye on the dwindling activation number.

drbobguy
07-10-2014, 13:02
The troika card is very flexible and can be loaded with any of the paper tickets.

You can load metro (ediny) and ground transport (TAT) tickets on a troika card at the same time. I also have to take a bus+metro to work, and this is my favorite option.

It costs 1300 rubles for 60 metro rides, and 800 rubles for 60 bus rides, for a total of 2100 rubles. So you have 120 rides loaded on the troika at once (60 metro + 60 bus)

When you take the bus, it will deduct 1 ride from the bus pool of rides, and then when you get on the metro it will deduct from the metro ticket.

The advantage to this system over the 1900 rubles for the 60 90-minute tickets, is that if you ONLY take the metro or ONLY the bus when doing something else, it comes out cheaper.

Since I often go out at night and only take the metro, or similar on weekends, this format works out best for me.

I also plan on getting the 365-day unlimited troika in the future, but only after they bring online their new system to tie your card to your phone, so you can replace it if it's lost or stolen. Because otherwise you are basically always carrying $500 or so around in your pocket.

Some info from the website:

Starting September 20, 2013 passengers can add any paper ticket to their Troika card, including the Unified, 90 Minute and TAT tickets. Passengers can now keep all of their tickets on one handy mechanism and use Troika like their old tickets.

Start by choosing the best fare for you: Unified, 90 Minute, or TAT, all from 1 to 60 rides, or a travel pass for 30, 90, or 365 days.

Then add the tickets to your Troika card at Metro ticket offices (for Unified and 90 Minute tickets) and automated Mosgortrans ticket kiosks (for TAT, Unified, and 90 Minute tickets).

In order to add TAT tickets, please update your Troika card at a Metro station automated terminal* (terminals on the following Metro stations will not update the Troika card: Akademicjheskaya, Begovaya, Vodny Stadion, Vystavochnaya, Kaluzhskaya, Krylatskoe, Leninsky prospect, Park Kultury ring and radial stations, Trubnaya, Chistye Prudy). Updates occur automatically when you top up your card with any sum. The following message will appear on screen at the end of operation: “Your card has been updated automatically. You can now use the latest transport services. Details at troika.mos.ru”

bell.teaching
07-10-2014, 13:51
I've just started working in Moscow and so this is all very helpful, thank you!

Nattergal
11-11-2014, 15:29
I've just started working in Moscow and so this is all very helpful, thank you!

It's more usefull to bye 1 year's card for 18250 Rubles. It's valid for all tipes of Moscow transport.

AstarD
11-11-2014, 16:01
Unless you lose it.

ConanS
11-11-2014, 22:19
I have a 60 trip pass that's on its last legs (about 12 trips left), and this may be a bit silly question: can I add trips on to it, somehow, or do I have to buy a totally new one? Apologies for this being dumb in advance

FatAndy
12-11-2014, 09:06
I have a 60 trip pass that's on its last legs (about 12 trips left), and this may be a bit silly question: can I add trips on to it, somehow, or do I have to buy a totally new one? Apologies for this being dumb in advance
The forum is created for dumb questions as well - how you can know some things in advance, comrade? :D

Technically it is possible, but implemented only with long-term plastic tickets. Carton ones they don't top, so after 60 trips you throw it into the basket usually located after gates/turnstyles and buy the new one. Please keep in mind a counter on a turnstyle shows how many trips left yet, so if zero shown you still p**** but need to buy the new one at the exit or later. 60 trips is valid for 90 days after purchase, you may check term and numbers of trips left at yellow boxes with screens near metro cashier windows.
Also, as these tickets are radiocards, don't keep older and newer together when putting to a reader (i.e. in the same wallet) - the reading and write-off will be non-predictable.

ConanS
12-11-2014, 10:20
The forum is created for dumb questions as well - how you can know some things in advance, comrade? :D

Technically it is possible, but implemented only with long-term plastic tickets. Carton ones they don't top, so after 60 trips you throw it into the basket usually located after gates/turnstyles and buy the new one. Please keep in mind a counter on a turnstyle shows how many trips left yet, so if zero shown you still p**** but need to buy the new one at the exit or later. 60 trips is valid for 90 days after purchase, you may check term and numbers of trips left at yellow boxes with screens near metro cashier windows.
Also, as these tickets are radiocards, don't keep older and newer together when putting to a reader (i.e. in the same wallet) - the reading and write-off will be non-predictable.

Thanks a ton for the help!

FatAndy
12-11-2014, 10:37
Thanks a ton for the help!
Zahodite ;)

PerfectMoscow
05-12-2014, 15:35
Awesome helpful details!