PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Water

abhilife2001
30-08-2014, 12:04
Hi Folks,

Is bottled water the norm in households ? While going through many apartments in the course of home search, did not find any apartment with a water purifier..

Have a 3 yr old kid so wanna be extra careful..

So question is the big can of bottled water the norm or ?

Thanks, Abhi

penka
30-08-2014, 12:59
Hi Folks,

Is bottled water the norm in households ? While going through many apartments in the course of home search, did not find any apartment with a water purifier..

Have a 3 yr old kid so wanna be extra careful..

So question is the big can of bottled water the norm or ?

Thanks, Abhi

Moscow tap water is not great for drinking. And most probably, cheaper apartments won't have a water purifier.

You can get bottled water or buy a water filter, like Brita.

Kartoshka
30-08-2014, 13:47
Although tap water is technically safe to drink, no-one does. You have several options:
1) Boil and filter water into a jug filter (eg. Brita, Aquaphor)
2) Buy a filtration system that fits under your sink and filters water before it comes out of the tap
3) Buy bottled water
4) Rent/buy a water purifier system (I don't know any companies that do this, but it's quite common, so someone here will be able to advise if you choose this option)

abhilife2001
30-08-2014, 17:59
Although tap water is technically safe to drink, no-one does. You have several options:
1) Boil and filter water into a jug filter (eg. Brita, Aquaphor)
2) Buy a filtration system that fits under your sink and filters water before it comes out of the tap
3) Buy bottled water
4) Rent/buy a water purifier system (I don't know any companies that do this, but it's quite common, so someone here will be able to advise if you choose this option)

thanks for the detailed reply..

Any recommendations on water filtration system is good but also economical ?
Whats the difference between the filtration system you mention in point 2 and water purifier system in point 4 ?

robertmf
30-08-2014, 18:09
thanks for the detailed reply..

Any recommendations on water filtration system is good but also economical ?
Whats the difference between the filtration system you mention in point 2 and water purifier system in point 4 ?

One is by hand and the other is hooked up to your water line.

Benedikt
30-08-2014, 22:40
One is by hand and the other is hooked up to your water line.

needs no plumbing or drilling. stands next to the tap. you just remove the -nozzle- of YOUR tap. screw the part on that comes with the filter and you have fresh clean water for 6 months.( that is how often we change the filter). we use it mainly for drinking and boiling water for tea and coffee. and when `i see the lime starts to build up a little in the kettle ( a little, I can see it) WE KNOW IT IS TIME TO CHANGE THE FILTER. 200 rubles for a replacement cartridge,how much the whole system now, honestly I don't know , we bought it some 10 years ago for 500 rubles.... but it should not be more than 2 or 3000. and cartridges are easy to find and need no tools to put in. just unscrew the top part and stick the cartridge into the holder....
we do not buy any and ever any bottled water, it is a rip off, because most of it is either plain tap water, one line the use for Coke, the other for water.... maybe they use a filter or not (Coca Cola and Nestle are the biggest sellers and biggest crooks with bottled water).

and people ever think about that: your water cooler, how often do you take it to pieces and also clean the INSIDE? many a cooler I took apart and inside it was -slimy- and I am sure the germs there had a heyday.... these coolers they stand in the offices, one bottle is empty, the next one is put on. who ever is cleaning it? no one....
and done with a test in Germany they actually found out that the cheapest supermarket -housebrand- bottle water was the best. both in taste, no impurities and price of course.

abhilife2001
31-08-2014, 10:48
Thanks.. will check this one out ..

Hans.KK
31-08-2014, 12:03
So question is the big can of bottled water the norm or ?It depend... some people buy water on bottles, other filter there water (and some boils it too).
There is many different ways to filter your water, from a simple can with a build in filter, to the more complex filter-system with a numbers of different filters that you tap water goes though.

We have a main-filter that is just a particle filter to take the worst rust and other particles, then we have a triple filter-system, it works nicely, we change the main-filter every 3 month and the tree filters in the triple filter-system every 6 month. The main-filter cost less then 100 RUB, and a tree-filter pack around 1000 RUB.

There is 2 main players on the Russian marked for filtering of water http://www.aquaphor.ru/ and http://geizer.com/

Be aware that you get the right type of filter for your water, the PH of the water is a figure to pay attention too, so are all other "ingredients" that may be present.
There is tons of labs that can analyse you water, you just have to tell them what they should search for.

We live in St. Petersburg and have soft water and use a filter-system like this http://spb.aquaphor.ru/filters/trio they are for sale for app. 3000 RUB.
All filter-systems sellers offers installation if you are not into DIY.

Btw: Clean water is completely tasteless.

FatAndy
31-08-2014, 12:06
Agree with Ben on those office "stand coolers/heaters" with 2 taps and big bottle upside down.
But same big bottles (17-19 litres afair) may be used with a special pump "cap" which you secure on the neck and use hand power to fill your kettle. Water supply companies (there are a lot of them in Moscow) may deliver bottles to you and pick empty ones weekly or after 2 days on 3rd, upon agreement.

I use full purification system (mech filtering plus 2-step charcoal for cold water, mech filtering plus ion-exchanging for hot one), it costed me ~15k rub for devices set several years ago, my own installation and tubing/plumbing, cartridges set for 3 month period is ~3k rub. Generally myself i'm quite ok with plain tap water (it is really ok in Moscow although isn't super), but wife and daughter have sensitive skin.

Just look and consider what is more convenient for you and family.

abhilife2001
03-09-2014, 10:42
Have finally moved into apartment yesterday and I see there is a water filter already installed..

Type of filter Geiser Гейзер from company www.vodovik.ru или www.waterstyle.ru
Type of cartrige Номер один ( для ИВЖ люкс)

Seems to have multiple cartiridges (3)..

Anyone knows how this is and how to know when to replace the cartridge ?

Landlady has gone on vacation after signing the contract :)

helenamoscow
06-09-2014, 19:04
The water from the tap is good for drining. It's quality is very well controlled. The advise is to keep it for an hour before drinking to remove chlorine. Helena

Beltliner403
06-09-2014, 20:17
One of my key Day Two purchases here in Moscow was a Bar'yer water jug, along with some replacement filters. As the national brand in Russia, the Bar'yer is cheaper, and somewhat easier to find and to re-supply, than a Brita. The filters for my jug are rated for 200 litres of tap water, so (for me, anyway) about three months' worth of filling up the kofyevarka in the morning, but be careful--they are *not* kidding when they tell you the first two runs through a new filter need to be drained immediately.

rusmeister
06-09-2014, 22:42
I am SO relieved. This was keeping me awake at night. Dr'ining is so important.

What about drinks from Chernogolovka? Are they OK? Can I use them for pool hygiene?

:P

Benedikt
06-09-2014, 23:09
The water from the tap is good for drining. It's quality is very well controlled. The advise is to keep it for an hour before drinking to remove chlorine. Helena

though I must admit we have a filter. but it is mainly to remove all the heavy calcium, that would otherwise clog up the teakettle.....

Benedikt
06-09-2014, 23:25
[

Landlady has gone on vacation after signing the contract :)[/QUOTE]

http://www.waterstyle.ru/calc_bez_analiz.html

I use google chrome and he translates into english.
fair enough though, you need to answer a few questions and how many people you are in your household.
after that is done you click on -calculate- and the computer will tell you what you might need. though it says -house- I think it will be the same for an apartment as well.. but from what I can see, the filters are for the complete cold water pipes. washing machine, toilet, dishwasher, what have you. does one need it? don't think so....
we use a filter only on the cold water tap in the kitchen, I change the filter every 6 months. a 2 minute job, no tools required. the replacement cartridge costs 250 rubles at -tvoi dom-.

natlee
07-09-2014, 01:45
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Hans.KK
07-09-2014, 12:10
The water from the tap is good for drining. It's quality is very well controlled. The advise is to keep it for an hour before drinking to remove chlorine. HelenaSomething is wrong here, "good for drining" and "keep it for an hour before drinking to remove chlorine" do not go together, sorry.
If you want to remove chlorine you can let the water stay some time, that is right, but one hour is to little, try with a few days and you are on the safe side.

One may boil water and in that way speed up the removal of chlorine, but that have other unwanted side effects because chlorine will interacts with organic parts in the water and create new more harmful stuff, boiling water that contains chlorine is a bad thing, then it is better to drink it without boiling.

If you want to remove chlorine then you have two option, the first one is to let the water stay for two-tree days, or let the water pass a filter that remove chlorine.
If you use a filter then be aware about it's maximum capacity, both in flow rate (litres/minute) and service lift (litres and/or time).

Hans.KK
07-09-2014, 12:21
Seems to have multiple cartiridges (3)..
Anyone knows how this is3 cartridge systems are ok, they are better that one cartridge filters, but you have to use the right type of cartridge that fits for your water condition.

... and how to know when to replace the cartridge ?
If in any kind of doubt, change them ASAP. When installing new ones then read the manual and follow it's instruction. I often write the date on the outside of the cartridge, then it is easy to see when it was installed.

abhilife2001
08-09-2014, 09:59
[

Landlady has gone on vacation after signing the contract :)

http://www.waterstyle.ru/calc_bez_analiz.html

I use google chrome and he translates into english.
fair enough though, you need to answer a few questions and how many people you are in your household.
after that is done you click on -calculate- and the computer will tell you what you might need. though it says -house- I think it will be the same for an apartment as well.. but from what I can see, the filters are for the complete cold water pipes. washing machine, toilet, dishwasher, what have you. does one need it? don't think so....
we use a filter only on the cold water tap in the kitchen, I change the filter every 6 months. a 2 minute job, no tools required. the replacement cartridge costs 250 rubles at -tvoi dom-.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info..
Our filter replacement costs approx 1290 Rub.. and Rub 1490 including replacement service ..:(
Seems to be a high tech one with three cartridges etc..

liubov
16-09-2014, 16:37
I don't think all bottled water is good neither. Filters make water poor (even when they make it pure) but bottled water produced in Moscow region or any town for that matter, what good could that be..

I've settled with 19l kegs of spring water from Arkhyz region, there're different brands I guess
vodaonline brings me kegs every other week and at least they claim kegs are filled straight from the spring down there in the mountains

well can't check that, can you
but I love its quality

hope this helps

taxiecabbie
28-09-2014, 11:42
I will say that I have drank water from the tap before (gasp!) and it has not killed me. This is probably not recommended as an everyday activity, though.

I simply use a water filtering pitcher. I'm not sure what the brand is, but I can buy the filters at an Ashan, so it's cheap and easy.

ais
03-10-2014, 23:35
as a quick solution you could find bottled water "Fruto-nyanya" (or any others produced in russia) in all supermarkets in the city. it is controlled, and it is not an expensive brand.

Benedikt
04-10-2014, 07:35
Thanks for the info..
Our filter replacement costs approx 1290 Rub.. and Rub 1490 including replacement service ..:(
Seems to be a high tech one with three cartridges etc..[/QUOTE]

these clowns think you have their filters, they can milk you now...
write down what filters you have, or better, take a picture. go to -Dvoi Dom/OBI/LeroyMerlin /any of these and they will show you want replacement filters you need. you might need a tool to open up the cartridge housing, if it is closed tightly. that does not cost your last shirt either. DIY is the idea, you just pay for the convenience and the bottom-line of the filter company... ( with the money you save, go out for dinner..)